1229.1 Where All Honor Lies

This is a poor attempt to copy all the activity in the Where All Honor Lies thread to date.
1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:17 am by Jonathan.Link

Received in December of 1228, via Redcap.

Alexei von Kroistau,

My dear Miles, it is with a sense of urgency that I write this letter to you. I am need of your assistance in gathering together and reforming the Milites. The system has fractured under my leadership, and several Miles have taken up with Lucius and Rotgiers. Using my power as Prima, I am summoning all Miles to Val Negra to be here 1 week after the Spring Equinox. And it is there, that we shall reforge them. Please be aware that several of the Miles will be agents for Lucius, but it is my hope that the inspirational speech you gave at the Normandy Tribunal can be replicated, and we can turn some of the Miles back from Lucius’s clutches.

Ariel, Prima Flambeau

Isen also receives a letter, one that simply requests his presence one week after the Spring Equinox, as she is gathering all the Miles together.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:55 pm by qcipher

Ariel, Prima Flambeau

My esteemed Prima, I have received your earnest message and shall arrive with time to spare. It is with a heavy heart to hear that the values of the Miles are being turned from their noble origins. I only hope that my efforts can be repeated and received as well as they were at the Tribunal. I shall fervently pray that I may be inspired and share the sense of duty and conviction that comes with being in the Milites.

Expect me in the Spring, my Prima, with triumph.

Very Sincerely yours,
Alexei Von Kroitsau Flambonis, ex Milites, Chief Hoplite of the Noramdy Tribunal

((Alexei will be sure to tip the Redcap well for any information that could be had regarding Rotgiers and Lucius and any Flambeau that might be getting cozy with them. And then for a quick roll of Order of Hermes Lore and Intrigue:

Using Unseen Servant:
OoH Lore + Int = put: OoH Lore: [1d10 + 1] = 5+1 = 6 (should be 8, forgot to add his Int)
http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as … &what=sand

Also going to make an Intrigue + Int roll:
Intrigue: [1d10 + 5] = 10+5 = 15 Don’t know if this was stressed or not.
http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as … &what=sand))

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:07 pm by Jonathan.Link

Which grogs are going with Alexei?

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:14 am by The Fixer

Jonathan.Link wrote:
Isen also receives a letter, one that simply requests his presence one week after the Spring Equinox, as she is gathering all the Miles together.

About time.

He’ll go see Alexei at once.

Alexei. I just received this summons. I guess you did, too. I intend to attend, of course, as I’m sure you will. So the only question for me is, do you want us to travel alone or together? Both have merits, after all.

(Utterly lost here, too many threads, characters, and posts per day )

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:34 am by Jonathan.Link

((I have a story for Isen that will kick off, so as always you really only have to pay attention to your thread, but I sent the letter, because he is a Miles))

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:25 am by qcipher

Alexei welcomes Isen in and offers a cup of wine as he’s going through various gear and clothing that he intends to bring.

“Welcome Sodalis. Good to see you’ll be coming. Helmut where is the purple tabbard and the ermine mantle? Or do you think purple is too ostentatious?”

“Well unless you’ve recently become royalty, I’d say it’s ostentatious. Considering also that most of the Flambeau will likely either be wearing purple or laughing up their sleeves at those wearing purple, you should go with the red and gold thread.”

Alexei examines the red tabbard with a critical eye and holds it up, turning to Isen. “What will you be wearing my friend? We should go together, it would look quite inappropriate were we to arrive too similar.”

((I want Michel and Brione to come with, I’ll look through the grog list also. What do others want to play?))

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:31 am by Jonathan.Link

((The grogs may not see much action, unless another player steps up, but I want to have a clear idea of who is going with Alexei, and not do a just add grog later in the story. For that matter, if another player does step up, I have no objection to them creating a grog that they’d like to play. I may send Mufarjj along, but he’s getting old and he’s got a family around now.))

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:35 am by gerg

((I’m happy to play a grog in this scene I don’t have a particular preference – whoever qcipher decides is coming.))

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:25 pm by qcipher

((I would think an honor guard of 4-5 fighting grogs for each magus would be a good number, and then a few luggage handlers/servants. If we’re going to port directly there we’d need less servants. So for Alexei he’d want to bring Brione, Michel, Claude, and Jolanda maybe, along with Helmut and a nameless servant perhaps.))

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:52 pm by jebrick

qcipher wrote:
((I would think an honor guard of 4-5 fighting grogs for each magus would be a good number, and then a few luggage handlers/servants. If we’re going to port directly there we’d need less servants. So for Alexei he’d want to bring Brione, Michel, Claude, and Jolanda maybe, along with Helmut and a nameless servant perhaps.))

Korvin would ask that you take either Claude or Jolanda but not both. He does not want to be left without a shield grog that he is familiar.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:58 pm by qcipher

jebrick wrote:
qcipher wrote:
((I would think an honor guard of 4-5 fighting grogs for each magus would be a good number, and then a few luggage handlers/servants. If we’re going to port directly there we’d need less servants. So for Alexei he’d want to bring Brione, Michel, Claude, and Jolanda maybe, along with Helmut and a nameless servant perhaps.))

Korvin would ask that you take either Claude or Jolanda but not both. He does not want to be left without a shield grog that he is familiar.

That’s fine, I’ll go through the list of Grogs again.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:44 am by The Fixer

qcipher wrote:
Alexei examines the red tabbard with a critical eye and holds it up, turning to Isen. “What will you be wearing my friend? We should go together, it would look quite inappropriate were we to arrive too similar.”

As often as not, Isen is surprised by the ease with which Alexei conducts himself with mundanes, and how they feel at home with him. More than anything, this is his strength, and his charm, this capacity to be a leader, to endear himself to the others. Not that Isen would like this for himself, but he admires it nonetheless.

Silver, Dark and Blue, as always. Adeline insists that it is important to set on a color scheme and not deviate from it. I don’t care much, and it suits me, anyway.
As fer the trip, fine by me, then. We travel and come together. I would like to ask roberto to join, but he’s not that found of the milites.
(And she’ll come with Isen, of course. She wouldn’t miss the opportunity, and he’s becoming to realise that he’s easily lost without her. Otherwise, he’s never settled on a shield grog. Too reclusive.)

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:56 am by qcipher

Alexei nods at Isen’s description of his garb. “That does suit you my friend, I feel making an impression is a good thing. Some feel it’s a distraction, but the well dressed army has an advantage over the peasant militia in terms of building spirit and comaraderie. Adeline is indeed correct.”

He places the red and gold tabbard onto a dressing rack. “Now the question is do we arrive directly through some means of teleportation? If Ariel truly felt it necessary she might blow the horn and see who answered its call. Or should we take mundane travel? Both have their advantages and costs. Helmut, make sure to get some luggage handlers, you’ll be coming with us of course. Make sure the grogs have their uniforms in proper order please.”

“Aye Master ’Lexi.” Helmut says as he pulls out a trunk with the help of another servant.

((So Alexei will bring Michel, Brione, and since Claude and Jolanda are a pair I’ll take maybe Osster the Bear instead if he’s available? That he speaks German is a plus. And while he’s not a Grog, he should definitely bring Mufarj))

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:00 am by The Fixer

Isen ponders Alexei’s question a moment

Translocating is faster and easier. Yet, unless you’ve got a way to do it while taking mundanes with you, we have no choice but to travel on land, or through Mercere Portals, should we wish to bring some grogs with us, as it seems you do.
So it seems that, on this at least, we have no choice. Unless, of course, you want to send mundanes alone, and join them later through an Arcane Connection. This might be safer, actually.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:50 am by qcipher

Alexei is considering, though it’s difficult to tell if he’s pondering his wardrobe or the travel arrangements. After a few moments he looks over to Isen. “The portal would be the only way to get us all there together, but…the rates they charge…I spent 45 pawns just to rescue Mufarrj and his family. We should probably travel mundanely I’d say. A dozen of us I figure would be an appropriate size party. I am a bit concerned that…well Rotgiers and Lucius may be dishonourable enough to actually attack on the road. Travelling larger though could attract even more attention.” he pauses again to think.

“Let’s travel o’erland As members of the Miles we should have a connection to get there if we need to.”

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:06 am by Jonathan.Link

((The circumstances of returning Mufarjj were a bit different. It required getting a Merceris magus who knew Leap of Homecoming to Mufarjj and his family, and also needed a device that would transport them, like Leap of Homecoming… It was a bit to coordinate on short notice, and in a hurry. This is a matter of going to your Portal to Harco, and then a portal to Val Negra, if one exists…))

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:53 pm by qcipher

Jonathan.Link wrote:
((The circumstances of returning Mufarjj were a bit different. It required getting a Merceris magus who knew Leap of Homecoming to Mufarjj and his family, and also needed a device that would transport them, like Leap of Homecoming… It was a bit to coordinate on short notice, and in a hurry. This is a matter of going to your Portal to Harco, and then a portal to Val Negra, if one exists…))

((Do we know the rates for that, assuming it exists? If not that would be our next step, finding out the cost or if it’s even an option.))

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:57 pm by Jonathan.Link

You could always right a quick note to Ariel asking…
But It’s not unreasonable to presume she might waive any fees for arriving to Val Negra from Harco (she invited you, it’s their portal)…and of course, there’s no charge for using your own portal.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:40 pm by qcipher

((Additional letter attached to original letter addressed to Ariel))

Ariel Flambonis, Prima of House Flambeau, Leader of the Milites,

Please forgive my carelessness, I should have included this in my original message. We have an easy means to go to Harco, is there a portal prepared from Harco to Val Negra, and if so have the payment arrangements been made? I believe I have a method to travel to Val Negra rather directly, but not for those who would accompany me, so the Harco portal if viable would be a likely method.

Thank you in advance,
Alexei von Kroitsau Flambonis, ex Milites

((I was going to go into more detail except for the possible treachery afoot, we can still use this letter and any response as a bluff perhaps or to flush out conspirators))

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:14 pm by Jonathan.Link

A quick response is received, indicating that the passage to Val Negra is free to magi from Mons Electi.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:09 am by qcipher

Alexei lays out the response to Isen along with logistical lists from Helmut regarding the difference in time, money and resources.

“As we have an essentially free ride all the way to Val Negra I suggest we take it. We save on time and resources and avoid pitfalls along the way and can bring all of our men and gear. Now then, the passage is likely well known to all who might attend, and since that is the case, trouble might be still set along that route. Once we leave Mons Electi our men at least are stuck travelling overland, while we should be able to use the Arcane Connections we have for being in the Miles to travel there swiftly if we need to. What are your feelings about this Isen?”

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Thu May 02, 2013 11:15 am by qcipher

Alexei will make the following preparations before travelling:

Meet with the Imperator regarding taking the Grogs to Val Negra for he and Isen as well as informing Fiona of his departure and why.
Arrange the supplies and silver (2 pounds for Isen and 2 for Alexei)
Prep the Grogs and himself with spells: (Scales of the Knight, Hardness of Adamantine, Lightening the Hauberk, Impenetrable silk on the uniforms)
Helmut will carry the papers for Alexei
Brionne will carry the banner of Alexei (the hourglass mounted on a spear)

From there (unless there are further matters) Alexei and party will arrive at Fiona’s cottage and Helmut will knock on her door.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Thu May 02, 2013 8:14 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

((Does the whole party show up at Fiona’s door, or just Helmut and Alexei?))

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Thu May 02, 2013 8:58 pm by qcipher

((Just Helmut and Alexei, the rest of the men are further back. Depending on how far I get there may be a dog in the mix somewhere, or it might be better to leave him behind for now, in which case Alexei might ask a favor…))

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Thu May 02, 2013 9:06 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

“I’m sorry, Master Alexei,” Moire says in the oddlly accented Latin of hers, “but Fiona is on the other side. I think she’s with that Parisian professor.”

Assuming Alexei and Helmut (et al?) go to where Benner has set up shop, so to speak, they will find Fiona, in her normal attire, sitting in the room with Benner…probably on the floor, tailor style as she normally does, especially where there’s not furniture that she would be comfortable in. But even sitting on the floor, she’s a hand taller than the professor.

“Ah, Alexei, Helmut. Good to see you,” Fiona says as she gets to her feet. “Benner, may I have a moment?”

She greets Alexei with a kiss on each cheek, and Helmut with a brush of the lips. “To what do I owe the pleasure?”

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Thu May 02, 2013 9:46 pm by qcipher

Alexei makes a bow while Helmut makes a sly wink.

“My dear Fiona, I am off to Val Negra, a matter of duty and honour for the Milites I’m afraid. Isen shall be accompanying me as well.” A deep and mournful howl can be heard off in the distance and Alexei looks a bit guilty at the sound. He sighs deeply. “In such a meeting and with the tasks I may have…Donner might be…a bit of a handful. He’s very sad but has taken quite a liking to you. Would you…visit him on occasion? I’ve left plenty of food for him, and some of the clothes he hasn’t chewed to shreds yet. I would greatly appreciate it if you could spend just a bit of time with him.” Alexei is blushing a bit, but it’s also obvious he’s a bit sad himself.

((If all goes well I might be able to have Donner come to me if the enchanting goes well, so I might still bring him as an ace in the hole.))

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Thu May 02, 2013 9:55 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

((When does Alexei find, and bond, Donner?))

“I would love to, my friend. He is housebroken, right?”

She then stops herself.

“Wait…I’d better check with Paul. He might not appreciate Donner coming around too much, but I’ll be happy to come to your cottage to check on him.”

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Thu May 02, 2013 11:29 pm by qcipher

((He would have found him in 1228 Fall and Bound him in Winter, but I have to calculate the lab total still))

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Fri May 03, 2013 12:11 am by Peregrine_Bjornaer

((Okay, just wasn’t sure what the timing was on how long Donner has been around. Not often she sees someone or something on her scale, so she probably would have been spending some time there…which gives her an excuse to hang out with Alexei ))

Fiona starts to walk with Alexei toward his cottage, and Donner. “So, what should I know, and what am I supposed to do?” she asks.

Before long, when they’re not quite in easy earshot of the others, she lowers her voice. “Is something bothering you, my friend?”

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Fri May 03, 2013 4:53 am by The Fixer

qcipher wrote:
“As we have an essentially free ride all the way to Val Negra I suggest we take it. We save on time and resources and avoid pitfalls along the way and can bring all of our men and gear. Now then, the passage is likely well known to all who might attend, and since that is the case, trouble might be still set along that route. Once we leave Mons Electi our men at least are stuck travelling overland, while we should be able to use the Arcane Connections we have for being in the Miles to travel there swiftly if we need to. What are your feelings about this Isen?”

As I see it, we are the targets. Our ennemies won’t care about mundanes.

So they should be relatively safe. We’ll just have to check them for magical tampering.

(Just to add: As far as I remember, Donner is awesome )

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Fri May 03, 2013 10:54 am by qcipher

As I see it, we are the targets. Our ennemies won’t care about mundanes.

So they should be relatively safe. We’ll just have to check them for magical tampering.

“Then let us keep them with us, we’ll be able to prevent the tampering before it starts, and much of my strength in a fight comes from the Grogs. Let us not leave them as bait since it won’t cost us any extra to bring them.”

Fiona starts to walk with Alexei toward his cottage, and Donner. “So, what should I know, and what am I supposed to do?” she asks.

Before long, when they’re not quite in easy earshot of the others, she lowers her voice. “Is something bothering you, my friend?”

“Donner will want some attention, he likes those with the Gift more than those without. Servants will keep him fed and walked. A visit now and then if you please is really what I ask.”

At the second question Alexei sighs. “My Pater said that I had a face that could be read from across the field. My illusions are being trampled underfoot. The Miles, what I aspired to join from the moment I heard of it, the ideals that I cleave to, the organization that I believe is the salvation of the Order…is being affected by the politics and strife that I see in everything around us. From the usual Normandy troubles, to the inner politics of our House, to the scheming of Guernicus. I am being asked to try and rally the support, much as I did for Ariel’s election and then my own appointment as Chief Hoplite. It’s an honour, it truly is. But I wonder…am I worth it? Or am I as much a fool as I believe others see me as? Do the morals and beliefs I cling to…that I have become known for…do they have relevance in the Order? It’s times like this that I feel the sin of despair the most, when it seems that all the world is crazed and base…maybe then it means that I am the one who is most out of place.” he pauses a moment then and a hardness sets to his jaw, a fire in his eye twinkles.

“But it is at these moments that I get this strong urge to dig my heels in further. If I am wrong then prove me wrong! I shall not be done in by rumour and doubt! Insidious weapons cannot undo me! I was not put on this earth let doubt defeat me.” the moment fades and he runs his hand through his hair. “Time will prove me one way or the other I suppose.”

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Fri May 03, 2013 9:57 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

qcipher wrote:
At the second question Alexei sighs. “My Pater said that I had a face that could be read from across the field.”

“It’s a pleasant face to read,” Fiona says.

qcipher wrote:
“My illusions are being trampled underfoot. The Miles, what I aspired to join from the moment I heard of it, the ideals that I cleave to, the organization that I believe is the salvation of the Order…is being affected by the politics and strife that I see in everything around us. From the usual Normandy troubles, to the inner politics of our House, to the scheming of Guernicus. I am being asked to try and rally the support, much as I did for Ariel’s election and then my own appointment as Chief Hoplite. It’s an honour, it truly is. But I wonder…am I worth it? Or am I as much a fool as I believe others see me as? Do the morals and beliefs I cling to…that I have become known for…do they have relevance in the Order? It’s times like this that I feel the sin of despair the most, when it seems that all the world is crazed and base…maybe then it means that I am the one who is most out of place.” he pauses a moment then and a hardness sets to his jaw, a fire in his eye twinkles."[/color]

Fiona stops and stares at Alexei. He may not realize that she has lagged behind for a minute as he finishes expressing his doubts, but she trots to catch up as he continues.

qcipher wrote:
“But it is at these moments that I get this strong urge to dig my heels in further. If I am wrong then prove me wrong! I shall not be done in by rumour and doubt! Insidious weapons cannot undo me! I was not put on this earth let doubt defeat me.” the moment fades and he runs his hand through his hair. “Time will prove me one way or the other I suppose.”

She kneels before Alexei to look him in the eye. “Alexei von Kroitsau, listen to me. I’ve known you a lot of years, and you are one of the few people that I would call ‘friend.’ You are by no means a fool, and I won’t suffer anyone to call you one in my presence. Not even you.” Fiona smiles.

“Those morals and beliefs that you cling to, they help make you the man that I’ve grown fond of. And if the Order doesn’t hold to those morals and beliefs, that speaks more of them than it does of you. You’ve proven to me already that you’re more man than most, and I only hope that the Order treasures you even half as much as your friends and sodales do.”

Fiona then scoops Alexei into a firm yet gentle hug and holds him close for a long time. She then kisses him on the cheek. “Hurry back, my friend.”

(Alexei probably wouldn’t notice that the giantess’s eyes are glistening.)

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Sat May 04, 2013 9:27 am by qcipher

Alexei blushes to the roots of his blonde-grey beard when Fiona kneels down to stare at him eye to eye and wrings his hands in embarassment. When he’s scooped up “Hey now..!” he mumbles but returns the hug after a moment or two, melting into her arms.

“Thank you, I shall.” after a few more seconds he harumphs. “Alright Fiona, this is undignified; the damsel carrying the knight over the threshold.”

Once he’s put down the red in his cheeks starts to fade. “Thank you my dear, with that encouragement I can’t fail.” he clicks his heels and makes a bow from the waist. “I’ll tell you all about it when I return.” Helmut is eyeing Alexei with a sly grin at the display. “What are you just standing there for? On your way! The Milites shan’t wait forever!”

Alexei gathers rest of the grogs and the group and heads to the portal of Harco.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Sat May 04, 2013 6:18 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

Fiona gets to her feet and dusts off her skirt, then watches Alexei and his cohort make for Harco, feeling a sudden chill and a strong sense of foreboding.

“Stay safe, my friend, and come home unharmed,” she says softly in Gaelic. “This place won’t be the same without you.” She then wipes her eyes and makes her way to Alexei’s cottage to play with Donner for a few minutes.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Mon May 06, 2013 7:06 pm by Jonathan.Link

Alexei and their retinues travel to Val Negra, the portal from Harco connects to the base of a large mountain, a sign points to a stair case carved into the sign of a mountain and says “Val Negra”. All the grogs groan, being fully laden, and encumbered even with the lightened Hauberks, at the prospect of climbing to the top of those steps.
Mufarjj chuckles, being unarmored, “C’mon you layabouts, let’s move, up the mountain.” and the grogs now consider the wisdom of going without armor…
By the time one gets to the top of the steps, if anyone should happen to count gets to over 1,000.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Tue May 07, 2013 10:01 am by qcipher

Alexei is mopping his brow once he reaches the top but tries to keep a positive front and not show his age. “Ah! Brisk!” he exclaims clapping Helmut on the back who seems rather pale from the exercise. “Ah, need to have you polishing armour more often Helmut! That or move heavier books. Alright men, Val Negra the once and current Domus Magna of Flambeau! Look alive and make us proud.” Alexei looks around for a guard or host to greet visitors as well as any other arrivals.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Tue May 07, 2013 2:32 pm by Jonathan.Link

As Alexei, Isen and their retinues get to the top about a dozen men come out of the shadows, weapons drawn. “State your business!”

Everyone is at -1 for fatigue due to the climb (at Weary). Characters can make the rolls, if they’d like, to recover a fatigue level. It represents resting somewhere near the top and then continuing the ascent with just a short bit left to go.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Tue May 07, 2013 3:34 pm by qcipher

((If we took a rest then the recovery is automatic, the Stamina roll is to reduce the time by half, we’ll just take the -1 I assume it’s a long term anyway))

Brione steps forward bearing the banner for Alexei while Michel steps to Alexei’s side. Helmut clears his throat and presents the pattens that Alexei has (for Flambeau, Milites, and Chief Hoplite as well as the invite from Ariel). “May I present the esteemed Alexei von Kroitsau Flambonis, ex Milites, Chief Hoplite of the Normandy Tribunal. Also travelling with him is the mighty Isen Flambonis ex Milites.”

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Tue May 07, 2013 3:44 pm by Jonathan.Link

“Now that we know who you are, state your BUSINESS!” again, in Latin. They appear to be a bit twitchy, too… The full power of the Aegis is upon Alexei and Isen.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Tue May 07, 2013 4:07 pm by Jonathan.Link

((You can choose to rest up enough, or not…))

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Tue May 07, 2013 4:42 pm by qcipher

((Yeah, if we can rest up that’d be great, there isn’t like an emergency or anything…yet))

Alexei quirks an eyebrow at the tone and hold a restraining hand on Michel knowing that violence could be imminent if left on his own. Helmut looks back to Alexei in some confusion and turns back to the men addressing them. “Master Alexei was invited by Ariel the Prima of House Flambeau, for a meeting of the Milites..?” he holds up the letter from Ariel.

“We are expected.” Alexei says firmly.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Tue May 07, 2013 4:50 pm by Jonathan.Link

“What meeting? What are you talking about? Who is expecting you?” The grog says in a demanding tone. Can do some folk ken checks if you’d like.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Tue May 07, 2013 5:04 pm by qcipher

((Making a couple rolls.

Brionne has Folk Ken of 3 with a specialty of Covenfolk, assuming thats what they are:

1d10+5 → [6,5] = (11) (or 10 if the Specialty doesn’t apply)
tp://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4040757/

Alexei has Folk Ken 2 with a specialty in soldiers, so that should apply, but his Perception kinda sucks:

1d10+1 → [9,1] = (10) Pretty good still.
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4040758/

I’ll wait for results before saying anything.))

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Tue May 07, 2013 5:39 pm by Jonathan.Link

They are legitimately confused by what Alexei and Michel are saying, and if the invitation that Alexei is holding is true, they should be well aware that 20 or so magi are about to descend on Val Negra for a conference…

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Tue May 07, 2013 5:56 pm by qcipher

Alexei whispers to Michel. “Stay calm, be wary though.” then he addresses the guards. “Gentlemen…I suggest you send someone quickly to Ariel and let her know that we are here for if I’m here others are likely on the way. We don’t mean you any harm, but there appears to be a mix up”

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Tue May 07, 2013 6:20 pm by Jonathan.Link

“What on earth are you talking about? We are expecting no one. And this heavily armed force is provocative. Disarm your men, the magi may retain their weapons. Do this and I’ll dispatch a grog to get someone who knows something, it may or may not be Ariel. Don’t and I’ll sound the alarm and summon more grogs and magi, and when they arrive they won’t be here to talk.” All of the dozen grogs eyes are on him, watching him intently. It’s very obvious this group is well trained and deadly, and they are very disciplined.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Tue May 07, 2013 6:30 pm by qcipher

“Like bloody hell..!” Michel begins but Alexei actually clamps a hand over his mouth.

“Be quiet!” he snaps. “My apologies. You are well trained and that is to be commended and if the situation were reversed I would have my men do the same. Can you verify for me please, are we in fact in Val Negra, please answer me that.” he turns to Brionne. “Disarm.”

((For right now just having Brionne disarm, trying to get a touch more info before we comply))

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Tue May 07, 2013 6:39 pm by Jonathan.Link

“Yes, this is Val Negra.” Also, the place matches the physical description with which Alexei is familiar.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Tue May 07, 2013 6:52 pm by qcipher

Alexei nods. “Men, bows unstrung, swords on the ground.” Alexei points to the ground in front of him. “We are not hostages nor prisoners, the weapons will stay there. If you please, tell the magi of Val Negra that Alexei and Isen are here. We have been peaceful and complied with your demands.”

((Not dropping shields, nor small Brawl weapons, just the large hand weapons and disabling the bows, if the others come to take the weapons Alexei will stand in front of it))

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Tue May 07, 2013 7:21 pm by Jonathan.Link

The leader signals to a grog who runs off. About 5 minutes later, from one of the towers a figure emerges and flies toward the gates of Val Negra. As the figure gets closer, Alexei can tell it is Ariel. She seems surprised and confused. “Alexei, I was informed that you and Isen were here, and that more Milites were on their way. Can you explain what is going on here?”

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Tue May 07, 2013 7:25 pm by qcipher

Alexei squints at Ariel, trying to make sure it is actually her and then motions for Helmut to give her the letter that was supposed to be from her. “We received this letter…from you I thought. You had called a meeting of the Milites and needed my help.”

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Tue May 07, 2013 10:31 pm by Jonathan.Link

That is my signature, and it seems to be my handwriting, but I never wrote this. I’ve requested no such meeting." Ariel says while looking over the letter.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Wed May 08, 2013 11:14 am by qcipher

Alexei allows some tenseness in his voice, not directed at Ariel, but potentially how serious the situation now is.

“Prima…if you did not call us here then an attack upon us while we are together is imminent, or an attack where we are not is imminent. Val Negra seems very well protected, I commend your men, but could you be vulnerable here? If not, then either of our holdings elsewhere is likely going to be hit.”

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Wed May 08, 2013 12:17 pm by Jonathan.Link

((I always enjoy how Alexei sees combat around every corner. Playing with Alexeis paranoia for a bit, the other reasonable alternative should be Mons Electi, that an attack on Mons Electi is imminent or underway, and so he should be acting accordingly.))

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Wed May 08, 2013 2:56 pm by qcipher

Jonathan.Link wrote:
((I always enjoy how Alexei sees combat around every corner. Playing with Alexeis paranoia for a bit, the other reasonable alternative should be Mons Electi, that an attack on Mons Electi is imminent or underway, and so he should be acting accordingly.))

((What do you think he meant by ‘either of our holdings’?

He is likely to head back asap to Mons Electi, but he also has a duty to the Miles and his House, if that is safe then back to Mons Electi, so he’ll wait for Ariel before hurrying back))

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Wed May 08, 2013 3:08 pm by Jonathan.Link

“I feel confident in saying that we are in no danger of attack. Many of our members are as capable as you. Can you say the same for members of Mons Electi? I urge you, should you think there is danger, return to your home and confirm, but it is more likely that someone is manipulating us.” Ariel nonetheless orders a doubling of the watch for the time being.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Wed May 08, 2013 3:17 pm by qcipher

Alexei bows to Ariel. “That is all I needed to hear, if you are safe then I’m heading back to Mons Electi, that is likely the target. I have one question for you though. Did you at any time make arrangements with Harco to have a portal set to Val Negra? If not, then whoever did is the culprit and is acting as you or someone who can speak for you.”

((her answer here will help determine how we’re getting back))

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Wed May 08, 2013 3:22 pm by Jonathan.Link

“No, and the portal here is protected with a password known only to members of the covenant, and a few Redcaps. I have informed Redcaps at Harco in the past to allow transport to Val Negra, either waiiving the fee or charging a fee, but all that is handled by the Redcaps after I send my message.”

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Wed May 08, 2013 3:40 pm by qcipher

Alexei seems confused. “So…we arrived by portal at the base of the mountain and climbed the rest of the way up, that is a legitimate portal that’s been set in the past, but any other portal is secured, and if we had taken that we’d be actually inside Val Negra not” he gestures about him “here.”.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Wed May 08, 2013 3:49 pm by Jonathan.Link

Ariel explains more fully, "No, that portal down below is the only one. If you were let through it was because they believed I, or someone from Val Negra had decided to allow you to come through. I had, in the past, sent written messages to approve people coming through, but I suspect that I will not be doing that any longer, given the present turn of events. I would appreciate if you could investigate this matter for us both, Alexei. Ascertain the individual or individuals responsible, and coordinate with me for an.. she pauses a moment, “an appropriate response.”

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Wed May 08, 2013 7:14 pm by qcipher

Alexei is nodding enthusiastically. “Understood.” he turns to the men. “Arm up, we’re leaving. My Prima, I will inform you as I may about the results of this. Rotgiers and Lucius are high on my list of who is behind this, but I’ll keep my eyes open for any that might be involved.”

With that Alexei leads the party the way down, waiting for when he feels that he is out of the Aegis.

Alexei turns to Isen and speaks quietly in German. “I’m not certain what is the best way to return, I feel that most likely whoever did this might be watching. Perhaps we should return by way of the portal…” he then covers his mouth so his lips might not be read. “But I’ll head back at that moment on my own.”

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Wed May 08, 2013 7:30 pm by Jonathan.Link

If Alexei is going to Leap back, he either needs to request a token (reasonable assumption and or/request), or go to the bottom of the steps getting out of the Aegis…
Of course, he’s welcome to try up top, first.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Wed May 08, 2013 7:34 pm by qcipher

((At what point does the Aegis for Val Negra end and the portal to Harco begin? I figured there would be some space between them, unless the portal has its own Aegis, which is certainly possible))

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Wed May 08, 2013 7:37 pm by Jonathan.Link

The portal is at the base of the mountain, just outside of the Aegis. So, you are under the Aegis until just about the same point.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Thu May 09, 2013 1:22 pm by qcipher

Jonathan.Link wrote:
The portal is at the base of the mountain, just outside of the Aegis. So, you are under the Aegis until just about the same point.

((That’s perfect, just what I was hoping for. What I intend to do is have us all cross through the portal, but at the last second, before entering the portal, Alexei will try to port back directly to Mons Electi using Leap of Homecoming. I can’t make a roll right now, not til later this evening maybe, but it might require a Finesse roll to make it look real))

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Thu May 09, 2013 1:41 pm by Jonathan.Link

Yeah, a Per+Finesse roll of 6+ to get the timing right. A failure means it takes effect on the Harco side. A botch means you slip up and state your destination on the Harco side. Also roll for botch on the spell, since you’re not exactly “stress-free”

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Thu May 09, 2013 4:52 pm by qcipher

Jonathan.Link wrote:
Yeah, a Per+Finesse roll of 6+ to get the timing right. A failure means it takes effect on the Harco side. A botch means you slip up and state your destination on the Harco side. Also roll for botch on the spell, since you’re not exactly “stress-free”

((Makes sense, he’s essentially performing a stunt with it, I’ll do it later tonight, unless Isen has some alternate advice))

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Thu May 09, 2013 10:51 pm by qcipher

((Spell casting roll:

1d10+36 → [3,36] = (39)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4043888/

Finesse roll diff 6
1d10+1 → [7,1] = (8)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4043889/

Success!))

Alexei speaks once more in German to Helmut and Isen while covering his mouth. “I go directly to Mons Electi now, return as quickly as you can, but if there is a fight or anything you can discover do so. Stay calm and betray nothing, but be ready to fight when you return.”

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Thu May 09, 2013 10:53 pm by Jonathan.Link

So, back in his sanctum?

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Thu May 09, 2013 11:15 pm by qcipher

((Yeah that’s where he has his AC, and he’ll probably grab an item or two.))

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Thu May 09, 2013 11:25 pm by Jonathan.Link

Such as?
There are no alarms going off.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Fri May 10, 2013 11:30 am by qcipher

((Alexei will grab his healing ring and put it on, supress the parma a moment and turn on the pain reducing affect. All of the Soak buffs are still active, so he’ll pop the spear head on and head out of his sanctum. He’s not going to cause a panic yet, he’s going to go the captain of the guards for this shift and get a report on any activity; visitors, sightings, anything out of the ordinary and tell him to get him a turb of grogs, 5 of them and meet outside Alexei’s sanctum, and send a note to the Imperator (it will be funny of he says “That’s you sir”) to come immediately as well. The alarm will be raised if he sees anything out of the ordinary))

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Fri May 10, 2013 11:45 am by Jonathan.Link

((This might be spreading Marko a bit thin… It’s up to him. We’ll just say that Alexei has the guard doubled, and sends a note to Roberto as to why.))

While Alexei is discussing things with the captain of the watch, everyone returns from Val Negra without incident. Twenty-four hours pass by, with nothing happening…

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Fri May 10, 2013 1:39 pm by qcipher

Alexei is going to spend just a bit of time questioning the ones that have returned from Harco. Just Helmut, Michel and Brionne would be fine, questioning Isen more than a simple report on what happened at Harco might be inappropriate. Once he finds out that everything went fine coming from Harco as I assume it did, he’ll simply ask them about the incident with the bandit kidnappers from years ago, Alexei is not yet aware that two have spoken to Fiona about it and assumes it’s a bit of knowledge that is a secret the four of them have. If they all give a similar recollection of the event, Alexei will assume that they haven’t been replaced by doubles. The key bit of knowledge that might trip up an impostor is that Helmut believes Alexei was drunk, while Brionne and Michel know that he wasn’t at the time.

Once that’s done he’ll advise Jacques and Roberto to please keep an extra watch with the grogs and that someone has impersonated the Prima in a letter and sent him on a wild goose chase.

So I don’t assume too much, the initial messages were sent by a Redcap? What was the Redcap’s name? There was the initial letter Alexei and Isen received, and then Alexei sent a message asking about the passage to Harco. Did Ariel send a message back? It could also be that the Redcap (if he knew) would have just informed Alexei that there is a passage to Val Negra that he can use. Based on this info will determine my next actions, but one thing will likely be to call a meeting first of the Flambeau at Mons Electi. This could be either a House issue, or a Covenant, or simply directed at Alexei and I don’t want to over react and involve the others yet.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Fri May 10, 2013 2:28 pm by Jonathan.Link

Bandit kidnappers? The ones who took Mufarjj?

As far as the letter, it depends on how perceptive Alexei is, would it have been reasonable for it to go to a page, first, and be brought to Alexei? Redcaps come through here fairly regularly with the Portal, so there is a reasonable possibility that Redcaps are background and blase by this time. Or at least, if one is in a hurry and says this is for Alexei, and that he has other errands to run, a page isn’t going to think twice and stop and ask him who and what his name is…
As far as sending the letter back and forth to Ariel, same thing…mail is sent to Harco almost daily, gets sorted and sent off to its next/final destination…. Maybe getting a Redcap involved in the story could help…

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Fri May 10, 2013 2:42 pm by qcipher

Bandit kidnappers? The ones who took Mufarjj?

No, sorry, there is a part of the story in 1227’s events where Helmut and Brionne talk to Fiona about an event with bandits before Alexei came to Mons Electi, bandits kidnapped Fiona and Alexei killed them with extreme prejudice:
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=9693&start=135#p162113

Is there a Redcap that resides at Mons Electi? I don’t mean Korvin, who is a Gifted Mercere, if Alexei can’t think of Redcap he’d ask Korvin of any Redcaps that regularly visit or stay at Mons Electi, if he can’t he’ll ask Korvin ((I honestly am not sure of the names of any Redcaps at the Covenant)), but he’ll also try to get the pages to recall who gave them the message.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Fri May 10, 2013 2:48 pm by cunningrat1

qcipher wrote:
Is there a Redcap that resides at Mons Electi? I don’t mean Korvin, who is a Gifted Mercere

Reynaud. :p

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Fri May 10, 2013 3:00 pm by qcipher

cunningrat1 wrote:
qcipher wrote:
Is there a Redcap that resides at Mons Electi? I don’t mean Korvin, who is a Gifted Mercere

Reynaud. :p

((There we go! I knew it.))

Alexei sends a page for Reynaud, hoping that he’s still at Mons Electi and not on duty.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Fri May 10, 2013 3:12 pm by Jonathan.Link

On duty? Him? That’s rich!

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Fri May 10, 2013 3:35 pm by jebrick

That is Renaud. He can be found in the Covenant’s tap house/mess hall working on a song on his lute.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Fri May 10, 2013 4:46 pm by qcipher

Alexei heads straightaway to the tavern with Michel and Brionne in tow. Once there he looks about the tavern, squinting in the poor light. Finally giving up he announces to those in attendance:

“Renaud? Is Renaud here? I need to speak with him quickly.”

((Alexei is not likely a stranger to the tavern scene, the way he interacts with the men and his Gentle gift, but coming in here all business will likely seem odd))

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Fri May 10, 2013 5:40 pm by Marko Markoko

Saw Roberto’s name mentioned. What do you need of him? I have no problem multitasking, but I will be unavailable until Sunday night.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Fri May 10, 2013 6:02 pm by qcipher

Marko Markoko wrote:
Saw Roberto’s name mentioned. What do you need of him? I have no problem multitasking, but I will be unavailable until Sunday night.

Once Alexei gets a few answers he’ll be calling the Flambeau together. Knowing Roberto’s feelings for Ariel he might not care too much, but I’d mainly like him (as Imperator) to keep the grogs on high alert for whatever is happening. I was expecting an attack on Mons Electi already as soon as Alexei left.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Sat May 11, 2013 4:34 pm by jebrick

qcipher wrote:
Alexei heads straightaway to the tavern with Michel and Brionne in tow. Once there he looks about the tavern, squinting in the poor light. Finally giving up he announces to those in attendance:

“Renaud? Is Renaud here? I need to speak with him quickly.”

((Alexei is not likely a stranger to the tavern scene, the way he interacts with the men and his Gentle gift, but coming in here all business will likely seem odd))

((Sorry. Lost this thread for a bit))

The room quiets down and some men look to a back table. A bearded man, dressed in various shades of red, is leaning back in a chair with a lute in his hands. He plays some more cords to himself before he answers in a slow and lazy tone. And who would be looking for Renaud?

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Sat May 11, 2013 7:31 pm by qcipher

Alexei turns and nods to the grogs, who nod in return…and then head to bar and get some drinks. Alexei approaches Renaud, pulling a scroll case out, leveling a very serious stare at him as tavern folk step aside. Once there he leans a bit on his spear (not a staff) and takes a chair and sits across from him.

“I…” he begins but Brionne has returned with a tray of drinks and interposes between them. “Thank you Brionne.” Alexei takes one and the other is offered to Renaud. “I would like to ask you some questions about these letters, and who delivered them. Can you do that for me please?”

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Sun May 12, 2013 12:13 pm by jebrick

qcipher wrote:
Alexei turns and nods to the grogs, who nod in return…and then head to bar and get some drinks. Alexei approaches Renaud, pulling a scroll case out, leveling a very serious stare at him as tavern folk step aside. Once there he leans a bit on his spear (not a staff) and takes a chair and sits across from him.

“I…” he begins but Brionne has returned with a tray of drinks and interposes between them. “Thank you Brionne.” Alexei takes one and the other is offered to Renaud. “I would like to ask you some questions about these letters, and who delivered them. Can you do that for me please?”

Renaud looks at Alexei for a moment then down at the letters. After a long time ( for Alexei) he slowly puts all four legs of the chair back on the ground. He talks a slow pull on a beer and puts the mug down. I’m not sure what mystical qualities you imbue upon my brethren to know all of the various and multifarious goings on of the Order nor of ones such as Renaud to ascertain enlightenment from hither-to unknown communiqué. But as you are a friend and compatriot of Korvin, Renaud will strive to entertain and enthrall you as to these phenomenon.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Sun May 12, 2013 1:14 pm by qcipher

Alexei hands over the letters to Renaud. “Merci beaucoup.” and takes a drink. There’s a brief commotion at the door as the huge mastif pushes his way through, nose to the ground, unconcerned about who he bumps into as he unnerrignly heads to Alexei, but not without taking a scrap or two from some tables. Once at Alexei’s side he drops a heavy paw on his lap and looks directly into Alexei’s eyes. The dog looks remarkably like another dog that has been seen around the covenant since fall, except he’s smaller. The other dog is as big if not bigger than warhorse, while this dog is quite large it is still of a normal size for a dog.

The magus seems to get defensive as the huge dog puffs out his chest and begins to make low growls and barks. Alexei responds to the dog in annoyed tone. “I wasn’t gone for long! Barely a few hours! No, I told you that it would be brief and that Fiona would come to visit. Look, can we do this later? Fine! I’ll get a mutton leg for you!” The dog seems to nod his head and then looks at Renaud briefly before taking Alexei’s drink in his mouth right off the table and bringing it to the floor where he begins lapping up the ale right out of the mug. “I was drinking that! Nevermind.” Alexei can finally return to Renaud.

“I’m sorry, this is Donner, he is very possesive of my time. Renaud, that letter was delivered by Redcap to a page who gave it to me. I know Redaps come and go at Mons Electi with some frequency, perhaps even you were the one who delivered it. But the letter is false, it claims to be sent by Ariel, the Prima of Flambeau, as well as the second response. But she never sent it. It wasted both our time and also could have been part of ruse to set an attack or ambush. Can you tell me or find out which Redcap delivered the messages so I can speak with him?”

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Mon May 13, 2013 7:23 am by Marko Markoko

qcipher wrote:
Marko Markoko wrote:
Saw Roberto’s name mentioned. What do you need of him? I have no problem multitasking, but I will be unavailable until Sunday night.

Once Alexei gets a few answers he’ll be calling the Flambeau together. Knowing Roberto’s feelings for Ariel he might not care too much, but I’d mainly like him (as Imperator) to keep the grogs on high alert for whatever is happening. I was expecting an attack on Mons Electi already as soon as Alexei left.

This presumes he survived his adventure last year and was not horribly transfigured by it

Ariel is my Prima, and I am ever ready when duty calls. But I fear you may be right, this was a trick on us. And the target may be the two of you, or others of your societas. Check in with them, see who else has recieves messages to go there or anywhere. And keep me posted and call on me as needed. Have Cidito share his scent mark with you, I will have him check in on you, and if you need me, send him back along with an Arcane Connection for me to use and I will magically transport myself to your side.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Mon May 13, 2013 11:11 am by The Fixer

Isen was not happy to see this trick played on them. So? He frowned, of course!

Now…
The letters. Hopefully, they should still be arcane connections to whoever wrote them. This can help us.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Mon May 13, 2013 11:26 am by jebrick

Renaud regards the letters for a moment then leans back in his chair and picks up his lute and resumes his former position.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Tue May 14, 2013 10:16 am by qcipher

((The Flambeau Meeting))

“As absurd as this sounds, I’m concerned about using the letters to try and find exactly who did this by magic. It could be thought of as scrying. I’ll be seeing Renaud the Redcap to see if he can provide any information about them. Since no attack has happened yet, the person who wrote them could be accused of a ruse at most, perhaps costing us power by wasting our time. Using the letters to scry could be a trap for a worse crime. As Hoplite I have to be…cautious. So, other options first before we try that?”

((The Redcap Meeting ))

Alexei watches Renaud while Donner continues to noisily lap the ale in the mug. After several awkward moments Alexei clears his throat. “Ahem. Renaud, there is some urgency to this, whoever sent the letters might have done it to distract us in prelude to an attack.” he says in Latin to avoid the people in the tavern from eavesdropping. Donner’s ears pick up at that and he looks about before going back to the ale.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Tue May 14, 2013 10:57 am by jebrick

qcipher wrote:

((The Redcap Meeting ))

Alexei watches Renaud while Donner continues to noisily lap the ale in the mug. After several awkward moments Alexei clears his throat. “Ahem. Renaud, there is some urgency to this, whoever sent the letters might have done it to distract us in prelude to an attack.” he says in Latin to avoid the people in the tavern from eavesdropping. Donner’s ears pick up at that and he looks about before going back to the ale.

Of course worthy consociate of Korvin. Unworthy Renaud was but drawing a moment to reflect upon the quandary that your worthy self had placed before me. And also upon this luscious and neglected ale that you brought before me. Alas, only one may be solved within this room but Renaud will do it forthwith so as to assure the other shall not be wasted.

He then drinks the ale.

Now, the fiendishly clever Renaud shall remove myself from these locale and seek erudition of the courier of these missives.

Everyone in the room says goodbye ( or something ) to him as he leaves.

((He will travel to a tavern in Autun that he knows is frequented by passing Redcaps.))

Flambeau Meeting
Posted Wed May 15, 2013 8:50 am by The Fixer

qcipher wrote:
“As absurd as this sounds, I’m concerned about using the letters to try and find exactly who did this by magic. It could be thought of as scrying. I’ll be seeing Renaud the Redcap to see if he can provide any information about them. Since no attack has happened yet, the person who wrote them could be accused of a ruse at most, perhaps costing us power by wasting our time. Using the letters to scry could be a trap for a worse crime. As Hoplite I have to be…cautious. So, other options first before we try that?”

Isen pauses a moment

That’s not absurd at all. Especially given our ennemies. You are right, we should use mundane methods for this. Which means asking redcaps, and possible witnesses: One may have used magic to baffle the redcap, yet some passerby may give us useful information. You idea to ask renaud is a sound one. He will surely be able to get more info than we could.

I’m still baffled as of the motive of this letter.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Wed May 15, 2013 11:19 am by jebrick

About 2 weeks after Alexei talks to Renaud, he hears that Renaud has returned. Of course, he is in the tavern for the grogs. Alexei ( or a representative) goes to find him back at his usual table with a small group around listening to him spin a tale. When it is finished, another grog gets him an ale and he comes over to Alexei.

Most noble friend of Korvin < he bows> the most humble Renaud has traveled far and wide in search of elucidation to your most perplexing dilemma. Renaud would have come to you in haste had he not been on the verge of collapse from a lack of nourishment. Having thus been replenished by the good graces of this humble tavern, Renaud is ready to divulge the enigma of the quandary. He takes a long gulp of ale and clears his throat.

There is a tavern on the edge of Autun that is sometimes frequented by couriers of my most enlightened House. Renaud, always the sly fox, lay in wait for more wearers of the rufescent chapeau. When they did arrive Renaud did curry favors with them. Enduring horrible barbs against my honor in the process. But at last Renaud was able to induce one to tell me who had made that particular delivery. It was a scoundrel called <he> Alaire. Be careful with this one my Lord Magus. He was as close as a dingleberry to Protor, Valerian and that old bunch. He has been based in Dragon’s Rest in the past.

Renaud drains his tankard and sets it on a table. A word of caution most magnificent sir. Beware traveling through Cunfin least your quarry smell the hounds. He taps the side of his nose as if thst act told all there is to know.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Thu May 16, 2013 1:00 pm by qcipher

Alexei mulls over the information. “Thank you Renaud, your efforts are most appreciated.” he hands over a pouch in payment. ((3 pawns of vis, Corpus if he has that, I can’t access the wiki page for the vis lists)).

“So Alaire delivered it…but more than that, you believe he is in league with the ones that have been causing us so many difficulties? I’d hoped he’d be a dupe or unwitting at least, but that was too much to believe. I don’t wish to get the Redcaps involved in this, their service is too valued. Renaud, if your duties are not taking you away from Mons Electi for the time being, can I ask you to stay and enjoy our hospitality a bit longer? I might have further need of you.”

((Alexei calls a meeting of the Flambeau and also invites Korvin and will likely call upon Renaud…things might get awkward))

“Brothers, I have the name of the Redcap who delivered the letter. I didn’t really think it would be possible that the Redcap would be uninvolved, perhaps hoped he merely delivered it…but there was little chance he couldn’t have knowledge of the deception. His name is Alaire. I have included Korvin as this may involve his House and the Redcaps within it. Korvin a few weeks ago Isen and I received a letter supposedly from our Prima Ariel to meet at Val Negra for the Milites. It was a hoax, Ariel never called for a meeting, but the signature was hers. This also used Val Negra’s hospitality with Harco for their portal, it was how we travelled. I believe only Isen and I got such a letter. Renaud said that Alaire is perhaps working with Valerian and others in his…gang. I’m not sure what purpose this filled, I assumed we’d simply be attacked while this was going on, but so far nothing. Has anyone heard of anything going on that I or Isen might have gotten involved in if we weren’t already busy?”

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Thu May 16, 2013 3:56 pm by jebrick

Excuse us a moment sodales.

Korvin and Renaud remove themselves and carry on a whispered conversation for at least a diameter. When they return to the table Korvin puts his elbows on the table and steeples his fingers. He closes his eyes for a moment collecting his thoughts.

I would not assume that any Redcap knows what he carries unless he was told by the person who paid him. So do not assume that Alaire was involved in the plot other than a messenger. That being said, there is a fraction within my House that feel close to Guernicus. Alaire is in that fraction. If he was involved with the plot he did so willingly thinking it for the best of his House.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Tue May 21, 2013 7:42 pm by qcipher

“Well Korvin, how is malfeasance handled amongst the Redcaps, they are full Magi and accorded rights, shall I include him in any actions we take? Or give him a chance to explain himself? This deception nearly brought myself and Isen to blows with the Grogs at Val Negra, to say the least of wasting our time. I’m inclined to bring him here to explain himself before I explore our legal options…for as it is, the message seems to begin with him, we don’t know who if anyone hired him to send it.” he pauses before asking the next question.

“What laws were broken? Impersonating a Primus? Wasting our magical resources?” he sighs. “These petty attacks…so unworthy of Magi…it just draws more blood from me than a wound, to think of such a petty, ignoble tactic.” he pours himself a cup of wine as well as cups for the others.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Tue May 21, 2013 9:29 pm by jebrick

Redcaps are magi so you could include him in a Wizard War or and court proceedings. I would only do that as a last resort. You have no proof that he knew what he was delivering. As for your investigation….While asking Alaire may seem pointless, I would point out that Dragon Rest used to be the Mercere House and many Redcaps still are based from there. Including Alaire. I’m not sure if the records of his travels would be kept there but there is a good possibility that they are. Unless I’m mistaken, the record keeper is a fine fellow called Perceval. He has retired from traveling. He was there 7 years ago when I visited Dragons Rest. He likes to tell tales of his travels.I’m sure someone who listens to his stories, would convince him to look at Alaire’s recent travels. Especially if it is the Chief Hoplite. That might get you something.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Wed May 22, 2013 3:04 am by The Fixer

This is frustrating Isen to no ends.

So. We don’t know if he’s guilty or not. And we can’t ask for an investigation, because the quaesitores are our ennemies. Unless… As Alexei says, someone forged the Prima’s seal, and made us waste magical ressources. And we have multiple testimony. So it may be worthwhile to bring it to the next tribunal, since it may display the treachery of the guernici even more. But now?
I hate this. I would declare a wizard’s war and be done with it…

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Wed May 22, 2013 11:17 am by qcipher

Alexei is nodding in agreement with Isen. “Had our enemies the honor to match their power, we’d be involved in it now. My concern is taking actions against the Redcaps and then having the other Redcaps take it personally, costing us their most valuable services. I’m reminded of one of my House who challenged a Redcap to Wizard’s War and was effectively cut out of all messages. If we take action won’t others in the Order think we’re bullying him?” Alexei pauses and taps his staff on the floor a few times in thought.

“What about a warning? Perhaps we could send a message using Alaire? Bring him here in the pre text of having him send a message. And we can ask a few questions of him surely, but basically send a message to those who sent this. Sometimes the threat of a Wizard’s War is warning enough? But just bringing him here and asking some questions would help us.” he pauses. “Maybe we could have him deliver a message to Ariel? I’m sure she’d appreciate that.”

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Wed May 22, 2013 11:27 am by jebrick

Korvin sighs. You do not need quaesitores to do your investigation. You can do it and if there is enough for a case, bring it before a tribunal. They can not deny it if you have evidence. But if they catch wind that you are looking at the Redcap then evidence may begin to disappear. Our enemies are not stupid. If you request Alaire there is a good chance that the real people behind this will hear.

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Fri May 24, 2013 2:30 pm by qcipher

((I have a response for this thread saved on my PC at home, hopefully I can post it later today))

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Sat May 25, 2013 12:32 pm by qcipher

“That is wiser than a fast response, I’ll bet they’re counting on us to over react. We keep the note, bring them up on formal charges at Tribunal. We’d want to do a bit more investigating just to build our case and charge everyone involved. My guess, Alaire would not fall alone, if charged and it was serious enough, he’d tell who put him up to this. But…If I can find who else was involved, I may take more actions. I can also be a bit subtle, perhaps I should investigate that Inn and see what more I can find?”

Re: 1229.1 Where All Honor Lies
Posted Mon May 27, 2013 2:37 am by The Fixer

Sounds like a good idea, says Isen. The more fish you can catch, the more of their plans you’ll disrupt, and the more we may be able to learn.

1229.1 Where All Honor Lies

In the Ruins of Bibracte jonathanlink jonathanlink