Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

(Source thread)

 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:01 pm
((So-called because I’ve not been able to come up with a better title all day, and you can’t go wrong with Beatles references.))

After the Summer 1228 Council Meeting, before all the magi have had a chance to scatter and go their separate ways, Fiona leans over to Korvin. "I’ve finished the Corpus spells I’ve been working on all spring,“ she practically purrs in his ear, ”and I’m having a little…party tomorrow night to celebrate, just after sundown. If you don’t mind sharing, that is." She smiles at Stultus standing nearby; she had been whispering just loud enough for him to eavesdrop without too much effort, but too quietly for those farther away to hear.

She squeezes Korvin’s leg. "If you come, yours can be the ram that opens the city gates. And feel free to bring some friends."

She’s already starting inviting people to her little orgy soiree over the last couple of days, those she’s most familiar with and doesn’t think would mind participating in something like this.

She’s also working on something for the next night, to break in her other new form, but doesn’t really know who would be up for helping her put it through its paces, so to speak. She knows Melisent prefers women, but isn’t that keen on men. She will finally ask Moire if she knows anyone who is fairly free with their affections who she could approach. (in case anyone wants to play Moire for a bit, since I don’t particularly want to talk to myself on this)



 cunningrat1 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:23 pm
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:She smiles at Stultus standing nearby; she had been whispering just loud enough for him to eavesdrop without too much effort, but too quietly for those farther away to hear.

Stultus smiles back, a very small and thoughtful smile. A short while later, he wanders closer to say something to Korvin or Alexei… and uses the opportunity to subtly slip a note into Fiona’s belt pouch. 

(( Dex +1, Legerdemain 5. Invisible Castle is down, so I used rpol.net. 19:21, Sat 13 Apr 2013: Stultus rolled 9 with the Ars Magica stress die. ))



 jebrick » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:18 am
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:((So-called because I’ve not been able to come up with a better title all day, and you can’t go wrong with Beatles references.))

After the Summer 1228 Council Meeting, before all the magi have had a chance to scatter and go their separate ways, Fiona leans over to Korvin. "I’ve finished the Corpus spells I’ve been working on all spring,“ she practically purrs in his ear, ”and I’m having a little…party tomorrow night to celebrate, just after sundown. If you don’t mind sharing, that is." She smiles at Stultus standing nearby; she had been whispering just loud enough for him to eavesdrop without too much effort, but too quietly for those farther away to hear.

She squeezes Korvin’s leg. "If you come, yours can be the ram that opens the city gates. And feel free to bring some friends."

Korvin’s hand finds her thigh and begins caressing. My dear. I did not realize the gates had been locked and that you required someone to break them down. I would have brought my siege equipment long ago had i know. Korvins hand moves further up. I will talk to my friend Celestina to see if she has time to visit us tomorrow.



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:56 am
jebrick wrote:Korvin’s hand finds her thigh and begins caressing. My dear. I did not realize the gates had been locked and that you required someone to break them down. I would have brought my siege equipment long ago had i know. Korvins hand moves further up. I will talk to my friend Celestina to see if she has time to visit us tomorrow.

“I will be very disappointed if the party ends before dawn, so I hope she will have time.” ((Order of Hermes roll to recognize Celestina as a Redcap: Int 1 + Order of Hermes Lore 2 + (
die roll of 0, botch check comes up a 7) 0 = 3. So, no clue.))



 cunningrat1 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:33 pm
Stultus says his farewells, acting somewhat subdued, and wanders out of the room.


 jebrick » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:04 pm
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:“I will be very disappointed if the party ends before dawn, so I hope she will have time.” ((Order of Hermes roll to recognize Celestina as a Redcap: Int 1 + Order of Hermes Lore 2 + (
die roll of 0, botch check comes up a 7) 0 = 3. So, no clue.))

She has worn me out many times before so I’m sure she is up to it. And she said she wanted to meet you. Korvin pauses on his grope caress. I will have to leave now to go talk to her. You shall see me tomorrow and hopefully Celestina as well. 

Korvin give Fiona a playful kiss on the cheek as he gets up to leave.



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:35 pm
cunningrat1 wrote:Stultus smiles back, a very small and thoughtful smile. A short while later, he wanders closer to say something to Korvin or Alexei… and uses the opportunity to subtly slip a note into Fiona’s belt pouch. 

(( Dex +1, Legerdemain 5. Invisible Castle is down, so I used rpol.net. 19:21, Sat 13 Apr 2013: Stultus rolled 9 with the Ars Magica stress die. ))

Fiona is totally unaware that Stultus slipped the note into her belt, and doesn’t find it until she gets home. ((Per 0 + Awareness 3 + (die roll of 1, followed by die roll of 3) die total 6 = 9.))
cunningrat1 wrote:Stultus says his farewells, acting somewhat subdued, and wanders out of the room.

Fiona watches him leave, feeling a little…maybe not guilty, but wondering if he thought she was mocking him for some reason? 
jebrick wrote:She has worn me out many times before so I’m sure she is up to it. And she said she wanted to meet you. Korvin pauses on his grope caress. I will have to leave now to go talk to her. You shall see me tomorrow and hopefully Celestina as well. 

Korvin give Fiona a playful kiss on the cheek as he gets up to leave.

Fiona stays for a couple of minutes after Korvin leaves, wondering if she should speak with Celestina about getting some…coaching for how to properly wield her other new body, then takes her own leave.

She finds Stultus’s note later that afternoon, and reads it a couple of times, wondering what could possibly spur him to turn him down (an experience she’s not accustomed to), then sets it down sits, thinking.

After a few minutes, she pulls the note closer, examining the ink. ((Int 1 + Scribe 2 + (die roll of 1, followed by a die roll of 3) 6 = 9 to determine what kind of ink it is…mineral, plant-based, whatever.)) She then casts a Rego Aquam, with the appropriate Requisites, touching the ink to have it move to one corner of the page, where she can have it slide into her ink well.. ((Base 1 to “control a liquid in an extremely gentle way”, R: Touch +1, D: Diameter +2, T: Group (since I don’t think “all the ink on the page” is an Individual, even though ink is an uncountable noun) +2, for a final target level of 10. Her CT is Sta 3 + Rego 10 + Aquam 5 (the lowest of any possible applicable Form) + Rego Aura 10 + die roll of 3 = 31, halved is 16. She then stirs the inkwell to mix the dried ink evenly, then pens a reply on the now-blank page. Stultus – I am glad to see that I did not offend you. I trust that we will find other ways to amuse each other in the months and years to come. As amends, please accept this gift of my favorite libation. Enjoy. Fiona.

She then goes to her laboratory and prepares a flask of her home-brew whisky, summons Moire, and hands her the bottle and the note to deliver to Stultus. "Follow that path toward the top of the mountain. He is in the (x) cave you come to."



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:56 pm
One afternoon, almost immediately after winter ends, Fiona arrives at the practice field wearing her full chain mail and moves to stand next to Alexei.


 cunningrat1 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:15 pm
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:She then goes to her laboratory and prepares a flask of her home-brew whisky, summons Moire, and hands her the bottle and the note to deliver to Stultus. "Follow that path toward the top of the mountain. He is in the (x) cave you come to."

Moire actually trips over the dwarf a short distance from the top of the mountain — somewhere between the Cave of Shifting Stone and the wind trap. Stultus doesn’t move terribly quickly even on a good day, and this isn’t a good day. 

He smiles a bit after perusing the note. “Well. It seems great minds think alike. I had already intended to, as a friend of mine puts it, ‘drink until I cannot tell the difference between Cursed Be Haman and Blessed be Mordecai….’ — so this is entirely appropriate….” He catches Moire’s utterly confused look from the corner of his eye. "Don’t mind me, girl. My mind is wandering, and my mouth is keeping pace. Please relay to your mistress that I am thankful for her gift and that it will be put to good use immediately. "



 qcipher » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:00 pm
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:One afternoon, almost immediately after winter ends, Fiona arrives at the practice field wearing her full chain mail and moves to stand next to Alexei.

Alexei is polishing armour with some of the younger grogs. It’s actually a strength building exercise and occasional punishment. A suit of chain is put into a thick bag with some sand and the bag is tossed back and forth between participants, much like a medicine ball exercise. Alexei switches from catching and tossing the bag by hand (he’s quite strong for a senior citizen!) as well as using magic. The magical portion is harder to accomplish, requiring fast casting, a suitably strong spontaneous spell and then the finesse to move it. He’s succesful perhaps one out of three of those kinds of tosses. As Fiona approaches one of the young Grogs pauses.

“Imperator.” he said and merely points towards the giant in armour approaching the field. Alexei smiles and tosses the bag back to him.

“Continue!” he commands to the three grogs that were in the exercise. "Fiona! Such a pleasure! And you look Tres Formidable in that armour! The wound is healed and I feel like I can take on an army! Have you come to practice perhaps?"



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:12 pm
qcipher wrote:Alexei is polishing armour with some of the younger grogs. It’s actually a strength building exercise and occasional punishment. A suit of chain is put into a thick bag with some sand and the bag is tossed back and forth between participants, much like a medicine ball exercise. Alexei switches from catching and tossing the bag by hand (he’s quite strong for a senior citizen!) as well as using magic. The magical portion is harder to accomplish, requiring fast casting, a suitably strong spontaneous spell and then the finesse to move it. He’s succesful perhaps one out of three of those kinds of tosses. As Fiona approaches one of the young Grogs pauses.

“Imperator.” he said and merely points towards the giant in armour approaching the field. Alexei smiles and tosses the bag back to him.

“Continue!” he commands to the three grogs that were in the exercise. "Fiona! Such a pleasure! And you look Tres Formidable in that armour! The wound is healed and I feel like I can take on an army! Have you come to practice perhaps?"

“Thank you, my friend,” Fiona says with a smile. "And, yes, I have, as a matter of fact. I remember we had a discussion some time ago…probably too long ago, in fact…about how it might behoove me to learn how to at least defend myself. And here I am." Fiona drops a little curtsy.

“Unfortunately, I won’t be able to dedicate as much time as I should, at least for a good while, what with my studies and my laboratory projects and my apprentice. But I will attend when I can.”



 jebrick » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:36 pm
Korvin leaves via the Portal to Harco after changing to traveling clothes and returns the next day, late the following afternoon, with a woman. She is several inches shorter than Korvin with long black hair in a braided ponytail that ends midway down her back. Her complexion is a light olive skin like one from southern Italy. She has a full figure and a oval face that smiles a lot. she is dressed in traveling clothes and wears the mark of a Redcap. Korvin escorts her to his sactium where they have dinner.

Later after sunset, they make there way to Fiona’s cottage dressed in lose fitting robes.



 qcipher » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:40 pm
Alexei’s smile could not be bigger. "Excellent! Excellent, yes a fine idea my Sodales. I think all in our Order should take some time to learn some of the basics. Considering your strength I think it’s also wise to wear armour, should you be in a potentially dangerous situation. So many magi are milksops and get wheezy climbing stairs, but you’re more than capable. I know a spell that lightens the load of armour…“ he appraises the suit she’s wearing. ”…but it might not work on that suit. I might have to cast it on a normal sized and then alter it. I do that a lot in a fight, shrinking or enlarging armour and weapons can have a dramatic effect." he’s obviously eager to speak on a subject he seems to know well about.

“Now then, we’ll worry about that later. One of the most important things for the magi to know is the footwork and positioning. This can be more important than the spells you cast. You might accidentally kill the grogs protecting you or trip over them. I usually say two steps back away from their shield hand.” he looks at the obviously huge size difference. "Hmmm…we’ll need to see what works best with you. Might be useful to get one of our larger grogs for you. At your size you might attract a lot of arrows. Alright. Stephen!“ he calls to one of the grogs. ”Grab your shield, we’re going to try the two step with Maga Fiona here!“ he turns to Fiona. ”Stephen is a bit new, but he’s a fast learner. We mainly want to make sure you’re not bumping into each other. Which hand do you favor? Do you usually carry a weapon, talisman, magic item?" 

Stephen bounds up quickly, carrying a wooden shield and wooden sword. “Maga Fiona.” he says with a bow.



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:40 pm
jebrick wrote:Korvin leaves via the Portal to Harco after changing to traveling clothes and returns the next day, late the following afternoon, with a woman. She is several inches shorter than Korvin with long black hair in a braided ponytail that ends midway down her back. Her complexion is a light olive skin like one from southern Italy. She has a full figure and a oval face that smiles a lot. she is dressed in traveling clothes and wears the mark of a Redcap. Korvin escorts her to his sactium where they have dinner.

Later after sunset, they make there way to Fiona’s cottage dressed in lose fitting robes.

Korvin and Celestina are greeted at the door by Fiona’s maidservant Moire, a short and chubby dark-haired woman wearing a simple home-spun dress. She escorts them through the dining room and to Fiona’s bedroom door, motioning for them to enter (though not doing so herself) and closing the door behind them again.

“Korvin, I’m glad you could make it,” a voluptuous red-head wearing a thin white robe says. She sounds like Fiona, and looks like Fiona around the face…but she’s only about 5’2", with noticeably larger breasts, a slender waist, and wide hips, and she looks to be about half her age (so, early 20s?). She kisses Korvin softly on the lips and hugs him tight, then takes a step back to look over his companion.

“And I take it this is Celestina?” she says as she looks her over, a smile on her face. "She looks delicious," Fiona purrs and licks her lips.

((Does Helmut want to party with Fiona and the others, or will he take a pass?))



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:52 pm
qcipher wrote:Alexei’s smile could not be bigger. "Excellent! Excellent, yes a fine idea my Sodales. I think all in our Order should take some time to learn some of the basics. Considering your strength I think it’s also wise to wear armour, should you be in a potentially dangerous situation. So many magi are milksops and get wheezy climbing stairs, but you’re more than capable. I know a spell that lightens the load of armour…“ he appraises the suit she’s wearing. ”…but it might not work on that suit. I might have to cast it on a normal sized and then alter it. I do that a lot in a fight, shrinking or enlarging armour and weapons can have a dramatic effect." he’s obviously eager to speak on a subject he seems to know well about.

“Aye, my size does tend to cause its fair share of problems.” Fiona says.
qcipher wrote:“Now then, we’ll worry about that later. One of the most important things for the magi to know is the footwork and positioning. This can be more important than the spells you cast. You might accidentally kill the grogs protecting you or trip over them. I usually say two steps back away from their shield hand.” he looks at the obviously huge size difference. "Hmmm…we’ll need to see what works best with you. Might be useful to get one of our larger grogs for you. At your size you might attract a lot of arrows. Alright. Stephen!“ he calls to one of the grogs. ”Grab your shield, we’re going to try the two step with Maga Fiona here!“ he turns to Fiona. ”Stephen is a bit new, but he’s a fast learner. We mainly want to make sure you’re not bumping into each other. Which hand do you favor? Do you usually carry a weapon, talisman, magic item?" 

Stephen bounds up quickly, carrying a wooden shield and wooden sword. “Maga Fiona.” he says with a bow.

Fiona takes a quick look around the field looking for Jehanne, then turns to smile at Stephen, checking him out. "Stephen," she says with a curtsy.

“I favor my right hand,” she says to Alexei, and holds up her talisman (which is in her right hand). "And I almost always have my talisman with me."



jebrick » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:51 am
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:Korvin and Celestina are greeted at the door by Fiona’s maidservant Moire, a short and chubby dark-haired woman wearing a simple home-spun dress. She escorts them through the dining room and to Fiona’s bedroom door, motioning for them to enter (though not doing so herself) and closing the door behind them again.

“Korvin, I’m glad you could make it,” a voluptuous red-head wearing a thin white robe says. She sounds like Fiona, and looks like Fiona around the face…but she’s only about 5’2", with noticeably larger breasts, a slender waist, and wide hips, and she looks to be about half her age (so, early 20s?). She kisses Korvin softly on the lips and hugs him tight, then takes a step back to look over his companion.

“And I take it this is Celestina?” she says as she looks her over, a smile on her face. "She looks delicious," Fiona purrs and licks her lips.

Yes. This is my dear Celestina. Currently of the Greater Alps Tribunal. Turning to Celestina. And this is Fiona in a…different form

Celestina has a grin as she begins to walk around Fiona to “check her out”. As she walk around she places a hand on Fiona’s hip and lets it stay as she completes her circle, ending cupping a breast.Oh. I see why you like her Korvin. Very nice. We are going to have fun tonight. She eyes still locked on Fiona’s.You may have to do that thing with your magic Korvin dear. No petering out early on us.



 qcipher » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:44 am
“Good! Let us get the basics. If someone is towards you in a fight, whether you have your Grog or not, this is how you present yourself. Stephen! Square off with me.” The grog salutes and raises his weapon and shield getting into a stance a few paces from Alexei. "Good, now you must present less of a target and more distance for him to reach. So he is facing you in the front, shift so that your left side is facing him, your right foot is in line with your right shoulder. Your left foot though is pointed towards him and you look to him, do you see? Gunnar always said, pretend you are talking to someone here in front of you and then turn to speak to another, in this case Stephen. Your feet will look somewhat like the letter L. Try to keep this stance, Stephen, protect me now.“Stephen immediately falls into place in front of Alexei with his weapons still raised. Alexei effortlessly moves a pace back so that he is behind him and slightly to the right of him, just over a pace in both directions, keeping his left foot pointed forward and his right at almost a 90 degree angle. ”Start with this, with your stature we’ll have to adjust. Move Stephen to where he is best placed for your protection as well as so he doesn’t block you from targetting." Stephen steps up to Fiona while Alexei steps back to observe.

“Maga Fiona.” he says again and turns slightly for her to direct him.



Peregrine_Bjornaer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:14 pm
jebrick wrote:Yes. This is my dear Celestina. Currently of the Greater Alps Tribunal. Turning to Celestina. And this is Fiona in a…different form

Celestina has a grin as she begins to walk around Fiona to “check her out”. As she walk around she places a hand on Fiona’s hip and lets it stay as she completes her circle, ending cupping a breast.Oh. I see why you like her Korvin. Very nice. We are going to have fun tonight. She eyes still locked on Fiona’s.You may have to do that thing with your magic Korvin dear. No petering out early on us.

Fiona places her hand lightly on Celestina’s and caresses it as she watches the redcap, feeling herself tingle at her touch and letting her robe (which had been held shut with just her hand) fall open. She smiles back, desire in her eyes. "Oh, I like you already,“ she says. ”And you’re right…we definitely want to keep the peter in as long as we can.“ She licks her lips hungrily. ”I know I’m not getting any sleep tonight." ((She cast a sun-duration version of Endurance of the Berserkers just after her Parma. The spell is ReCo 15, +1 magnitude to go from Concentration to Sun duration. Her CT is Sta 3 + Re 10 + Co 15 + Rego Aura 10 + Talisman bonus 3 + die roll of 9 = 50, halved is 25.))

She leans in to kiss Celestina quickly, then turns to Korvin. "I did promise you dibs, dear…although I think the boys were getting a little impatient. I had to…handle one of them while we were waiting. But everyone I’ve invited is here."



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:20 pm
qcipher wrote:“Good! Let us get the basics. If someone is towards you in a fight, whether you have your Grog or not, this is how you present yourself. Stephen! Square off with me.” The grog salutes and raises his weapon and shield getting into a stance a few paces from Alexei. "Good, now you must present less of a target and more distance for him to reach."

Fiona chuckles. "I will never present a small target, Alexei.“ But she does turn as directed.
qcipher wrote:”So he is facing you in the front, shift so that your left side is facing him, your right foot is in line with your right shoulder. Your left foot though is pointed towards him and you look to him, do you see? Gunnar always said, pretend you are talking to someone here in front of you and then turn to speak to another, in this case Stephen. Your feet will look somewhat like the letter L. Try to keep this stance, Stephen, protect me now.“ Stephen immediately falls into place in front of Alexei with his weapons still raised. Alexei effortlessly moves a pace back so that he is behind him and slightly to the right of him, just over a pace in both directions, keeping his left foot pointed forward and his right at almost a 90 degree angle. ”Start with this, with your stature we’ll have to adjust. Move Stephen to where he is best placed for your protection as well as so he doesn’t block you from targetting." Stephen steps up to Fiona while Alexei steps back to observe.

“Maga Fiona.” he says again and turns slightly for her to direct him.

“I take it that Stephen is directly between me and my foe?” Fiona has him move a smidgen so that he’s not blocking her view of her hypothetical doom.



jebrick » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:41 am
As the sun rises Korvin collapses as both his Sun duration Endurance spell ( casting total 48) and The Satyr’s Gift ( ReCo base 2 sun duration casting roll 49)*expire. After several minutes, Celestina gives a groan and disentangles herself from the now sleeping mage. She tickles Fiona a bit to rouse her. When she has Fiona’s attention she gestures to follow as she makes her way out of the bedroom.

*Invisible cast is still down. Unseen Servant did the rolling.



 qcipher » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:14 am
Alexei acknowledges the difficulty that Fiona adds to a fight. "Well…a smaller target at any rate. But Stephen will not be directly between you. If he is directly between you then if you try to attack or cast a spell you have to get around him. A bit back and then towards the opposite side of his shield arm. So towards your right. If multiple opponents are trying to get past him, then you may have to adjust and get more directly behind him. The nice thing about that situation is that targetting the one that is on his weapon hand side is easier to target and you have little risk of hitting your shield grog."

Alexei stands in front of Fiona so she has a clear view. "Now, watch the footwork. The step is easy, nothing fancy. If you need to move forward take a step with your lead foot, the left and then shuffle the back foot behind it, but never lose their direction. The left pointed towards the front, the right at a 90 degree angle. Do not cross your legs.“ Alexei takes a quick shuffle step forward with the left and drags the right behind it equally fast. ”You are less likely to trip this way, either by encountering something underfoot and by not crossing the legs. Even someone as big as you Fiona could be pushed over with ease if your legs are crossed in mid stride. If you need to step back, then do the quick step with the right foot and then drag the left. You may need to change the feet facing here, but as soon as you’ve moved to where you need change them back so the left foot is towards the enemy.“ Alexei demonstrates with a shuffle step back. ”If you’re neither advancing nor retreating, and the grog is moving side to side, then you are the pivot on a wheel. Merely keep moving the left foot and adjusting with the right to stay in position. When you can do this, you make yourself safer and free the shielf grog to be less concerned about where you are, he can be sure you are in the proper spot and that you will be protected. So, let us see how this works. Stephen, guard me, we shall go through the paces. Gilbert! You are the attacker, take this slow, Stephen, protect me, Fiona please observe."

The other Grog Gilbert bounds up with wooden sword and shield and squares off against Stephen. Alexei immediately falls in behind Stephen and to his right. "En garde!“ Alexei commands. ”Slowly!“he adds so as to make it easier to see. Gilbert raises his sword and makes a simple probing thrust which is blocked and then begins to make leisurely passes at Gilbert, pressing forward and backing off, circling right and left. Stephen easily matches the pace, never following up very far and wheeling or backing up with confidence. Alexei is always a pace and a half behind him and to the right, their footwork almost completely in sync. ”Now, normally I fight as the vanguard, but should I fight as the Magus, I will usually be slightly further back, my talisman as a weapon gives additional reach, when Gilbert comes in and is clashing with Stephen I can probably get a jab in with my staff and deliver a spell by touch. But should you decide mainly to be protected, then shadow the footsteps of your grog. With your height, you need a bit more space back from him, and you likely can still reach Gilbert if you need to."

((The footwork is basically borrowed from Aikido, which based it off of swordsmanship. As artistic as Aikido is, it only has 3 different steps, this is the first one))



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:40 pm
jebrick wrote:As the sun rises Korvin collapses as both his Sun duration Endurance spell ( casting total 48) and The Satyr’s Gift ( ReCo base 2 sun duration casting roll 49)*expire. After several minutes, Celestina gives a groan and disentangles herself from the now sleeping mage. She tickles Fiona a bit to rouse her. When she has Fiona’s attention she gestures to follow as she makes her way out of the bedroom.

By sunrise, it’s just the three of them, as the poor mundanes, with no magic to aid them, fell by the wayside ages ago, although Sobran the vintner and Edward le Grand looked like they were going to give Korvin a run for his money for a while, there.

Fiona’s not asleep, but is laying there basking in the afterglow, idly stroking the sleeping Korvin’s member and nuzzling the beautiful redcap. She smiles at Celestina and rolls out of bed, not bothering to dress if her new friend doesn’t. She smiles and admires the view as she follows her to the next room.



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:58 pm
qcipher wrote:Alexei stands in front of Fiona so she has a clear view. "Now, watch the footwork. The step is easy, nothing fancy. If you need to move forward take a step with your lead foot, the left and then shuffle the back foot behind it, but never lose their direction. The left pointed towards the front, the right at a 90 degree angle. Do not cross your legs." Alexei takes a quick shuffle step forward with the left and drags the right behind it equally fast.

“I haven’t crossed my legs in years,” Fiona grins at Alexei.
qcipher wrote:“You are less likely to trip this way, either by encountering something underfoot and by not crossing the legs. Even someone as big as you Fiona could be pushed over with ease if your legs are crossed in mid stride. If you need to step back, then do the quick step with the right foot and then drag the left. You may need to change the feet facing here, but as soon as you’ve moved to where you need change them back so the left foot is towards the enemy.” Alexei demonstrates with a shuffle step back. "If you’re neither advancing nor retreating, and the grog is moving side to side, then you are the pivot on a wheel. Merely keep moving the left foot and adjusting with the right to stay in position."

Fiona nods. "So, basically, it’s a lot like dancing. It’s all in the feet. Everything else follows from that."
qcipher wrote:“Now, normally I fight as the vanguard, but should I fight as the Magus, I will usually be slightly further back, my talisman as a weapon gives additional reach, when Gilbert comes in and is clashing with Stephen I can probably get a jab in with my staff and deliver a spell by touch. But should you decide mainly to be protected, then shadow the footsteps of your grog. With your height, you need a bit more space back from him, and you likely can still reach Gilbert if you need to.”

“I think I understand, so far. Shall I?” By Alexei’s leave, she will take his place behind Stephen and tries to put his lessons into practice, occasionally shifting to try to get where she feels is the most comfortable place in the “formation.”



 Marko Markoko » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:22 pm
Not sure on the timing of this. But I believe Roberto is the Imperitor at this point.
But if Alexi wants to continue his fitness training, so mote it be! Roberto will gladly participate in some strength training exercises.
He would also like to organize a footbal game (as in soccer as we Yanks call it).

He stands back quietly as he watches Fiona ask Alexi for some training and he goes through some pointers. He turns and speaks in Spanish to Carlos with a low voice.
They’re doing it all wrong. Even I rarely wear armor that heavy. I know she is a giant, but that makes the aromr required to cover her that much heavier. And what’s with that goofy footwork and odd jargon?
 "En Gard" is achronistic, and Akido is oop  So these advanced techniques that Alexi has invented are outside of Roberto’s understanding.
As is what is really going on 
Carlos chuckles. You really don’t see it? It is a duel of love
What? She eats up men left and right and is certainly more straightforward than this. I am suprised you haven’t visited her chamvers a dozen or more times, you old lech.
Heh-heh. Not my style. To aggressive. I like them a bit more dainty, slightly more resistent. Or at least playing at resisting. Alexi is much like yourself, old friend. Know it or not. He is reverent and traditional, reserved and conservative. Fiona knows this and adores him for it.
And as for love, though I am sure sex is ever present in her mind, I speak of genuine affection. They have been friends for years now, and she wants him to respect her and be proud. He earnestly intends to train her, and she honestly wishes to learn.
But it is Love that is the true motivator, for each of them
 Whatever. She should still wear leather armor and augment it with Doublet of Impenetrable Silk. That is the method I have taken to. A well trained wizard’s lance is a skirmish unit.
Just stop. Let them be. She is trying to emulate Alexi’s style, and he fights like a knight. You can’t cut it as a cavalier because horses don’t like you. Deal with it. Your style isn’t any better or worse. It is what works for you, and that is what works for him.
But still, the fighting style best for her is…
Madre Dios! Just shut up and catch the ball.
bomp (ball bounces of Roberto’s head)
Wha! Bendajo! Catch this!
kick block return kick
(and they two continue knocking the soccer ball back and forth between them, as Europeans often do…



jebrick » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:18 am
Marko Markoko wrote:Not sure on the timing of this. But I believe Roberto is the Imperitor at this point.
But if Alexi wants to continue his fitness training, so mote it be! Roberto will gladly participate in some strength training exercises.
He would also like to organize a footbal game (as in soccer as we Yanks call it).

((I think it is more about Fiona’s friendship with Alexei then titles or offices.))



jebrick » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:18 am
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:By sunrise, it’s just the three of them, as the poor mundanes, with no magic to aid them, fell by the wayside ages ago, although Sobran the vintner and Edward le Grand looked like they were going to give Korvin a run for his money for a while, there.

Fiona’s not asleep, but is laying there basking in the afterglow, idly stroking the sleeping Korvin’s member and nuzzling the beautiful redcap. She smiles at Celestina and rolls out of bed, not bothering to dress if her new friend doesn’t. She smiles and admires the view as she follows her to the next room.

Entering the other room, Celestina sees Moria doing her morning chores and calls to her in Latin and asks for some water to wash herself. Moria looks a bit shocked at the thought of washing ones body but a nod from Fiona sends her off.

Celestina moves over to Fiona and gently pulls her down a bit so she can give her a sensuous kiss on the lips. Moria returns with a bucket and then quickly exits the room. After she leaves Celestina gives a little giggle. I have not had that much fun in years. I will have to find room in my route for some more visits. 

She moves away to the corner of the room, near the door, to her backpack. She rummages around and pulls out a small bag, with what Fiona figures is willow bark, and chews on some. Not as young as I once was and those young men can get rather too excited. She also pulls out a hair brush and moves to the water.

I thought we could have some girl talk while I got ready to go. But first, could you put your Parma on me? It effects me less as I have Redcap training but it does effect me. ((I will assume Fiona does this)).

She begins washing herself slowly while looking at Fiona suggestively. "This is not the first time I’ve seen you. I was at your recent Tribunal. Korvin asked me to come and set up the area for our Brothers and Sisters. We have a lot of pillow talk…Korvin and I. We have know each other since we were young. He was my first and I have borne some of his children."

Do not look worried my dear. You know somethings about our House. It is a duty we must perform. Some of us like it much more than others. No. I’m telling you this so you know something about me…and Korvin.

She finishes washing and then takes up the brush on her hair. "I know Korvin likes you. Not just for your obvious qualities.“ She pauses to caress Fiona. ”But because you do not ask him for anything. None of this – I’ll have a roll with you if you can exchange some vis for me. That means a lot to the Gifted Mercere. She brushes her hair in silence for a while. "Do you like him Fiona?"



 qcipher » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:13 am
((I was definitely concerned about the appropriateness of the style employed. I actually referred to a friend of mine, he trains people in Western Martial Arts and runs a sword fighting guild in Chicago. From what I recall, the basic footwork of Aikido, which I’m basing it off of, is still strikingly similar to European sword fighting techniques. However it has been a long time since I spoke with him about this, and I certainly could be mistaken in my recollections))

“Good! That’s it. And you’re right, it’s much like a dance. Gilbert, step back. Alright, Stephen protect Fiona from me.” Alexei takes up his staff. "It’s enchanted so it can’t get through your Parma my dear. But, this is where the two of you combine your steps. Fiona if my staff touches you…well you can consider yourself killed. At this point though you wish to emulate spells on me, as a warrior with no magic, so call out the name of the spell. Between you combined you need to take me out. Listen to each other, this exercise is for you also Stephen. Speak with Fiona as we have been showing you. I’ll go slowly at first and build from there.“ Alexei picks up his staff and holds it as one would a long spear. ”Don’t worry about striking me Stephen, but be mindful your goal is to protect Fiona. En Garde!" Alexei begins to circle warily to his right, Stephen’s shield arm.



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:26 am
jebrick wrote:Entering the other room, Celestina sees Moria doing her morning chores and calls to her in Latin and asks for some water to wash herself. Moria looks a bit shocked at the thought of washing ones body but a nod from Fiona sends her off.

Celestina moves over to Fiona and gently pulls her down a bit so she can give her a sensuous kiss on the lips. Moria returns with a bucket and then quickly exits the room. After she leaves Celestina gives a little giggle. I have not had that much fun in years. I will have to find room in my route for some more visits.

Fiona drops to her knees and returns the kiss (at her normal size, she’s still a hair over six feet on her knees) hungrily. "Definitely. I’ve not enjoyed a woman this much since…" Fiona’s voice trails off as she remembers Alips, whom she hasn’t seen since shortly after Praxiteles’s death. Although she still writes regularly, and keeps intending to visit her (wherever she wound up moving to), it’s not the same, and she still misses the woman who holds a special place in her heart. 

“Or I can visit you. If you’re in Harco, we have the Portal, so it shouldn’t be that difficult.”
jebrick wrote:She moves away to the corner of the room, near the door, to her backpack. She rummages around and pulls out a small bag, with what Fiona figures is willow bark, and chews on some. Not as young as I once was and those young men can get rather too excited. She also pulls out a hair brush and moves to the water.

“There is something to be said for youthful vigor. Usually ‘more, more, more’,” Fiona says with a smile.
jebrick wrote:I thought we could have some girl talk while I got ready to go. But first, could you put your Parma on me? It effects me less as I have Redcap training but it does effect me. ((I will assume Fiona does this)).

((Fiona would have done this as soon she did her own, since Korvin is still asleep.))
jebrick wrote:She finishes washing and then takes up the brush on her hair. "I know Korvin likes you. Not just for your obvious qualities.“ She pauses to caress Fiona. ”But because you do not ask him for anything. None of this – I’ll have a roll with you if you can exchange some vis for me. That means a lot to the Gifted Mercere.

“I don’t like to mix business and pleasure. And to give him a tumble just so I can get something else from him just seems…tacky.”
jebrick wrote:She brushes her hair in silence for a while. "Do you like him Fiona?"

Fiona smiles. "Of course I like him. I wouldn’t take him to bed if I didn’t, and certainly not more than once." Then it occurs to her that Celestina might have meant something else.

“Um…do you mean do I ‘like’ Korvin or do I ’like’ him?”



Peregrine_Bjornaer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:38 am
qcipher wrote:“Good! That’s it. And you’re right, it’s much like a dance. Gilbert, step back. Alright, Stephen protect Fiona from me.” Alexei takes up his staff. "It’s enchanted so it can’t get through your Parma my dear. But, this is where the two of you combine your steps. Fiona if my staff touches you…well you can consider yourself killed. At this point though you wish to emulate spells on me, as a warrior with no magic, so call out the name of the spell. Between you combined you need to take me out. Listen to each other, this exercise is for you also Stephen. Speak with Fiona as we have been showing you. I’ll go slowly at first and build from there.“ Alexei picks up his staff and holds it as one would a long spear. ”Don’t worry about striking me Stephen, but be mindful your goal is to protect Fiona. En Garde!" Alexei begins to circle warily to his right, Stephen’s shield arm.

Fiona does as best she can, but it’s soon obvious that she has no martial skills whatsoever. She manages to not trip over herself ((Dex 0 + die roll of 5 = 5)), but she’s pretty much unable to keep herself from getting tagged. She does find herself using her talisman to try to block the shots, though, with limited success.



 gerg » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:39 am
qcipher wrote:((I was definitely concerned about the appropriateness of the style employed. I actually referred to a friend of mine, he trains people in Western Martial Arts and runs a sword fighting guild in Chicago. From what I recall, the basic footwork of Aikido, which I’m basing it off of, is still strikingly similar to European sword fighting techniques. However it has been a long time since I spoke with him about this, and I certainly could be mistaken in my recollections))

I’ve only done a very little bit of swordfighting (modeled off of 16th century Italian school), but your description was bang-on in terms of what I remember being taught. 



 jebrick » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:07 pm
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:Fiona drops to her knees and returns the kiss (at her normal size, she’s still a hair over six feet on her knees) hungrily. "Definitely. I’ve not enjoyed a woman this much since…" Fiona’s voice trails off as she remembers Alips, whom she hasn’t seen since shortly after Praxiteles’s death. Although she still writes regularly, and keeps intending to visit her (wherever she wound up moving to), it’s not the same, and she still misses the woman who holds a special place in her heart. 

“Or I can visit you. If you’re in Harco, we have the Portal, so it shouldn’t be that difficult.”

I would like that but I am in the Greater Alps so it is not as easy.
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:
jebrick wrote:She finishes washing and then takes up the brush on her hair. "I know Korvin likes you. Not just for your obvious qualities.“ She pauses to caress Fiona. ”But because you do not ask him for anything. None of this – I’ll have a roll with you if you can exchange some vis for me. That means a lot to the Gifted Mercere.

“I don’t like to mix business and pleasure. And to give him a tumble just so I can get something else from him just seems…tacky.”

You do not know how rare that is Fiona.
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:
jebrick wrote:She brushes her hair in silence for a while. "Do you like him Fiona?"

Fiona smiles. "Of course I like him. I wouldn’t take him to bed if I didn’t, and certainly not more than once." Then it occurs to her that Celestina might have meant something else.

“Um…do you mean do I ‘like’ Korvin or do I ’like’ him?”

Celestina looks at Fiona for a while then her eyes get wide and she laughs out loud. It is a good belly laugh
Oh no, no no. I did not mean are you going to marry him or something. She laughs some more. 

She starts to braid her hair.
I mean…uh…could he confide in you as a dear friend? 

Another moment of silence as she finishes the braid and ties it off.

I’m worried about him Fiona. He is being isolated. I’m afraid he is going to have a hard time for a while and I want to…

She pauses. At a loss for words and walks over to her backpack. She gets out her traveling clothes and begins dressing. How much to do know about our House Fiona?



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:43 pm
jebrick wrote:
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:“Or I can visit you. If you’re in Harco, we have the Portal, so it shouldn’t be that difficult.”

I would like that but I am in the Greater Alps so it is not as easy.

“Pity. All the more reason for me to come up with…wait a minute. I can make my self smaller now, I don’t have to invent a plus-sized Leap of the Homecoming!” Fiona kisses Celestina happily. ((Yes, that just, this very minute, occurred to me.))
jebrick wrote:Celestina looks at Fiona for a while then her eyes get wide and she laughs out loud. It is a good belly laugh
Oh no, no no. I did not mean are you going to marry him or something. She laughs some more. 

She starts to braid her hair.
I mean…uh…could he confide in you as a dear friend?

“Of course,” Fiona says seriously. "I guard my friends’ secrets as closely as I guard my own."
jebrick wrote:Another moment of silence as she finishes the braid and ties it off.

I’m worried about him Fiona. He is being isolated. I’m afraid he is going to have a hard time for a while and I want to…

She pauses. At a loss for words and walks over to her backpack. She gets out her traveling clothes and begins dressing. How much to do know about our House Fiona?

“Probably not as much as I should,” Fiona says. "I know that you’re a cornerstone of the Order, and that we would have a much tougher go of it without you. I know that Korvin had a big meeting at the Tribunal, don’t know if that went as well as he would have liked. And I know…or at least the rumour is that your House is very…well, you try to breed like rabbits, and try very often."

Fiona looks at Celestina, feeling a touch of concern. "How long has this been going on?"

As they’ve been talking, Fiona’s been getting dressed as well…which isn’t much, pulling a blouse and skirt on, lacing up her boots, fastening her belt, grabbing her talisman, belt pouch, and flask.

“Do you mind if I walk you home? Or at least a good part of the way? I…um…have a wee bit of a favor to ask you, too, if you wouldn’t mind.”



qcipher » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:15 pm
Alexei is doing his best to be observant and accomodating to Fiona’s inexperience, he is also limited in that he’s new to teaching, always relying on Gunnar.

“Remember Fiona, you have weapos that only we in the Order can use! Trust your shield grog and call out a spell!” Alexei makes another thrust but Stephen is able to block it. One of the tactics he tries is to circle to his right, the Grog’s shield arm, and then double back to his left. It’s a deft move requiring both to coordinate and not be out maneuvered.

((Output: [1d10+9] = 1+9 = 10
http://unseenservant.com/Default.asp?do … &what=sand
Since Alexei is sparring we’ll say this is a Simple roll, no need to get all explodey on it.))



 jebrick » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:18 pm
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:“Probably not as much as I should,” Fiona says. "I know that you’re a cornerstone of the Order, and that we would have a much tougher go of it without you. I know that Korvin had a big meeting at the Tribunal, don’t know if that went as well as he would have liked. And I know…or at least the rumour is that your House is very…well, you try to breed like rabbits, and try very often."

Fiona looks at Celestina, feeling a touch of concern. "How long has this been going on?"

Breed like rabbits Haha. in a more serious tone Everyone in our House is descended from Mercere. Everyone. She say with emphasis. That is not to say that we inbreed. Just to be a Mercere, either Redcap or Magi, you must have your lineage traced from Mercere.

Do you know why Korvin left Harco to come here? One of his daughters. One of the last ones before his Longevity Ritual, was Gifted. He wanted to apprentice her. But the other magi though he was too young. So he left.

Then miracles of miracles, he finds a long lost line of Mercere in this Jew from Iberia. He had the documentation of her lineage but there are those in our House that do not believe it.

It is one of the greatest crimes in our House to train an apprentice that is not Mercere. Many of the other Gifted Mercere are going to shun him.

There is more to it that I do not understand but I’m looking into it. Since you have been here at Mons Electi, has a Redcap come to get a longevity ritual done by Korvin?
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:As they’ve been talking, Fiona’s been getting dressed as well…which isn’t much, pulling a blouse and skirt on, lacing up her boots, fastening her belt, grabbing her talisman, belt pouch, and flask.

“Do you mind if I walk you home? Or at least a good part of the way? I…um…have a wee bit of a favor to ask you, too, if you wouldn’t mind.”

Of course Fiona. I would like that.



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:57 pm
jebrick wrote:Do you know why Korvin left Harco to come here? One of his daughters. One of the last ones before his Longevity Ritual, was Gifted. He wanted to apprentice her. But the other magi though he was too young. So he left.

Then miracles of miracles, he finds a long lost line of Mercere in this Jew from Iberia. He had the documentation of her lineage but there are those in our House that do not believe it.

It is one of the greatest crimes in our House to train an apprentice that is not Mercere. Many of the other Gifted Mercere are going to shun him.

There is more to it that I do not understand but I’m looking into it. Since you have been here at Mons Electi, has a Redcap come to get a longevity ritual done by Korvin?

Fiona thinks back. "I can’t think of any, no. And he’s done more Longevity Rituals than I’ve done any kind of enchantments." Fiona finds herself growing irritated on Korvin’s behalf.



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:19 pm
qcipher wrote:Alexei is doing his best to be observant and accomodating to Fiona’s inexperience, he is also limited in that he’s new to teaching, always relying on Gunnar.

“Remember Fiona, you have weapos that only we in the Order can use! Trust your shield grog and call out a spell!” Alexei makes another thrust but Stephen is able to block it. One of the tactics he tries is to circle to his right, the Grog’s shield arm, and then double back to his left. It’s a deft move requiring both to coordinate and not be out maneuvered.

Fiona thinks for a moment and decides to try casting a spell that, even if she gets it off, has next to no chance of getting through Alexei’s defense: Curse of Circe.

Her Concentration roll is Sta(!) 3 + Concentration 3 + die roll of 8 = 14, which should suffice.

Her CT is 35 + die roll of 9 = 44, less the spell level of 30 = 14 + Penetration (Transformation) 4 = 18. Alexei’s Parma against Corpus or Animal is, I believe, 31/24. So, he definitely feels a ping.



 jebrick » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:54 pm
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:Fiona thinks back. "I can’t think of any, no. And he’s done more Longevity Rituals than I’ve done any kind of enchantments." Fiona finds herself growing irritated on Korvin’s behalf.

((There has been 1 Redcap that got a LR from Korvin while he has been at ME. I’m not sure if there would be a roll to know that or who it was.))



 Jonathan.Link » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:58 pm
“Why don’t you shrink him instead?” Marcus calls out to Fiona.


 Jonathan.Link » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:59 pm
jebrick wrote:
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:Fiona thinks back. "I can’t think of any, no. And he’s done more Longevity Rituals than I’ve done any kind of enchantments." Fiona finds herself growing irritated on Korvin’s behalf.

((There has been 1 Redcap that got a LR from Korvin while he has been at ME. I’m not sure if there would be a roll to know that or who it was.))

((I think it’s moot. Becauese we’re talking about Renaud, right? He’s a bit of a renegade, and himself isolated from the House. Celestina would discount him as a matter of course.))



 jebrick » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:33 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:
jebrick wrote:
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:Fiona thinks back. "I can’t think of any, no. And he’s done more Longevity Rituals than I’ve done any kind of enchantments." Fiona finds herself growing irritated on Korvin’s behalf.

((There has been 1 Redcap that got a LR from Korvin while he has been at ME. I’m not sure if there would be a roll to know that or who it was.))

((I think it’s moot. Becauese we’re talking about Renaud, right? He’s a bit of a renegade, and himself isolated from the House. Celestina would discount him as a matter of course.))

((Indeed she would.))



Peregrine_Bjornaer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:40 pm
((I had forgotten that Renaud was a Redcap. So, Int 1 + Order of Hermes Lore 2 + die roll of 4 = 7.))
“Wait…there was that one, maybe five years ago. I don’t think he comes here much. Renault? Renaud? Something like that.


 Marko Markoko » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:45 pm
gerg wrote:
qcipher wrote:((I was definitely concerned about the appropriateness of the style employed. I actually referred to a friend of mine, he trains people in Western Martial Arts and runs a sword fighting guild in Chicago. From what I recall, the basic footwork of Aikido, which I’m basing it off of, is still strikingly similar to European sword fighting techniques. However it has been a long time since I spoke with him about this, and I certainly could be mistaken in my recollections))

I’ve only done a very little bit of swordfighting (modeled off of 16th century Italian school), but your description was bang-on in terms of what I remember being taught. 

No complaints 
But that is still three-hundred years from now, and employs radically different styles of weaponry and technology. The Spanish develop a style of fencing as well, centered on creating a thinly exposed line of your profile and using long lunges. But in the 13th century, the current style is broadswords and round shields and spears.

I am just saying that, the style of fencing Alexi is teaching Fiona is new and original, and Alexi invented it!



 qcipher » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:56 pm
Alexei pauses at the test of his parma and looks a bit shocked and briefly even angry. Stephen lowers his sword at this, uncertain of what to do next. Alexei’s usual smile becomes a smirk as he points his staff at Fiona. "Now Fiona, I hope you did that to flatter me that my parma was strong enough…but in practice it’s best to either cast forcelessly or simply state the spell. Let us keep this safe and friendly, yes? But you’re doing well, that was a Muto Corpus yes? An excellent choice in a fight, a regular opponent would no doubt be oinking about in confusion."

Alexei raises his staff in the spear guard. "En Garde!"



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:17 pm
qcipher wrote:Alexei pauses at the test of his parma and looks a bit shocked and briefly even angry. Stephen lowers his sword at this, uncertain of what to do next. Alexei’s usual smile becomes a smirk as he points his staff at Fiona. "Now Fiona, I hope you did that to flatter me that my parma was strong enough…but in practice it’s best to either cast forcelessly or simply state the spell. Let us keep this safe and friendly, yes? But you’re doing well, that was a Muto Corpus yes? An excellent choice in a fight, a regular opponent would no doubt be oinking about in confusion."

Alexei raises his staff in the spear guard. "En Garde!"

“Oh…right. Forceless casting. Sorry about that. But, yes, I knew that your Parma would easily stop my Curse of Circe, and the only other combat spells I know are Charge of the Angry Winds andJupiter’s Resounding Blow, and I didn’t want to hurt y…hurt my shield grog by mistake.”

“I’m sorry,” she says after a moment, looking properly chastised, then raises her talisman again and takes her position behind Stephen.



jebrick » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:41 pm
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:((I had forgotten that Renaud was a Redcap. So, Int 1 + Order of Hermes Lore 2 + die roll of 4 = 7.))
“Wait…there was that one, maybe five years ago. I don’t think he comes here much. Renault? Renaud? Something like that.

Celestina gets a look of disdain on her face. Renuad is an asshole. I do not know why Korvin puts up with him. He does not perform his duty. She makes a dismissive gesture. He probably felt sorry for him.



Peregrine_Bjornaer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:01 pm
jebrick wrote:Celestina gets a look of disdain on her face. Renuad is an asshole. I do not know why Korvin puts up with him. He does not perform his duty. She makes a dismissive gesture. He probably felt sorry for him.

“Oh?” Fiona says. "A shirker? Maybe Korvin felt like it was his duty to invent the ritual, regardless of how good a Redcap he is."

She shrugs. "That might explain why I almost never see him come here."



 jebrick » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:18 am
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:
jebrick wrote:Celestina gets a look of disdain on her face. Renuad is an asshole. I do not know why Korvin puts up with him. He does not perform his duty. She makes a dismissive gesture. He probably felt sorry for him.

“Oh?” Fiona says. "A shirker? Maybe Korvin felt like it was his duty to invent the ritual, regardless of how good a Redcap he is."

She shrugs. "That might explain why I almost never see him come here."

Korvin should know better! Part of his anger at Harco perhaps. Celestina walks in silence for a while. It is probably another part of the problem. Normally, the local Mercere house pays for longevity rituals and other items. I can’t believe they would have paid for a loner’s ritual. Renaud must have made some deals to get the vis. Hmmmm She is lost in thought for a moment.



 qcipher » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:59 pm
Alexei holds up his hand to pause the action. "Very good, with those spells you’d do well against multiple opponents. We should practice those with scarecrows and pulleys…too dangerous with grogs. Very good, let us repeat the exercise and the footwork, we’ll break for lunch in a bit. Gilbert, please step in."

((This goes well what I had planned to Alexei, he can get some xp in teaching. But he has to read more on the Code of Hermes as well as Order of Hermes Lore.))



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:01 pm
jebrick wrote:Korvin should know better! Part of his anger at Harco perhaps. Celestina walks in silence for a while. It is probably another part of the problem. Normally, the local Mercere house pays for longevity rituals and other items. I can’t believe they would have paid for a loner’s ritual. Renaud must have made some deals to get the vis. Hmmmm She is lost in thought for a moment.

Fiona says nothing as they walk, not really knowing enough about the situation to say anything intelligent about it but content to listen and learn, and to enjoy Celestina’s company.



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:21 pm
qcipher wrote:Alexei holds up his hand to pause the action. "Very good, with those spells you’d do well against multiple opponents. We should practice those with scarecrows and pulleys…too dangerous with grogs. Very good, let us repeat the exercise and the footwork, we’ll break for lunch in a bit. Gilbert, please step in."

((This goes well what I had planned to Alexei, he can get some xp in teaching. But he has to read more on the Code of Hermes as well as Order of Hermes Lore.))

Fiona will sit with Alexei during lunch, playfully flirting as usual, but more subtle than what she does with some of the others (in fact, her flirting may be so subtle that Alexei misses it: Com 2 + Charm 3 + Venus’s Blessing 3 + die roll of 8 = 16)

She also talks about what spells she knows and whether they would be of use in a combat situation. None of the obviously useless ones, of course…but some that may be useful.

((Oh, and Invisible Castle is back! At least for now.))



 jebrick » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:37 am
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:
jebrick wrote:Korvin should know better! Part of his anger at Harco perhaps. Celestina walks in silence for a while. It is probably another part of the problem. Normally, the local Mercere house pays for longevity rituals and other items. I can’t believe they would have paid for a loner’s ritual. Renaud must have made some deals to get the vis. Hmmmm She is lost in thought for a moment.

Fiona says nothing as they walk, not really knowing enough about the situation to say anything intelligent about it but content to listen and learn, and to enjoy Celestina’s company.

When they reach the portal to Harco, Celestina will turn to Fiona. You wanted to ask me something? Best do it now while you almost trust the listening ears.



 qcipher » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:55 am
Alexei does seem to notice the flirtation…but as any gentleman would he rather stoically avoid or ignore it. On the subject of spells, Alexei is a mixed bag of help. Surprisinlgy there’s likely a lot of spells where he needs a brief refresher on exactly what the spell does. ((A lot of spells he doesn’t know because he can’t use them and so knows nothing of them; those at Voice range are the typical spells)). However whenever a spell is described and/or he knows it, he brings up a hypothetical situation on the strengths and weaknesses of the spell in combat, most have combat effectiveness.

“The thing to remember, is that as soon as you make yourself known as a caster of spells in a fight, you will attract much of the attention. Your shield grog will not be able to protect you for long, depending on their numbers and tactics. Plus you will attract all of their missile fire, do you have any spells that can protect you from arrows and projectiles? That is the resort that many fighting men will fall back on, and a magus flinging fire and winds or transforming men will get the bulk of them. Looking to your defense must be your priority. For example, I prize subtlety which allows me to avoid some of the attention as a magus; my enemies might never realize it. Spells that I cast are for my armour, to conjure it, strenghten it, lighten it. Then I toughen my clothes and my flesh. Finally I use an enchantment to alert me for arrows so I can step aside. None of these look out of place, but make me practically untouchable in a fight. Do you have spells to protect you? Your size is a help no doubt, but also attracts attention.”

((Make a Folk Ken roll regarding Alexei’s attitude towards your attentions as well as how he speaks of his strategies.))



 qcipher » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:12 pm
cunningrat1 wrote:(( Also, on a completely unrelated note…. Qcipher, are there any defenses on Alexei’s lab and/or living quarters, beyond a stout door and a lock?   ))

Um…interesting question. Assuming he hasn’t found his dog yet, it would just be the door and lock and perhaps Alexei’s reputation.



 cunningrat1 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:27 pm
Well. If he hasn’t found his dog yet….  

Alexei returns to his quarters a day or two after Cumhachd’s arrival to find that there has been some minor damage done to his quarters: clean clothes dragged out of the wardrobe and peed on, perhaps. A potted plant in the window has been knocked over… and there’s a very clear imprint of an ape’s foot in the spilled earth on the windowsill. 

(Rahere is a prankster and a pain in the ass, just like his master. But this is the first time one of his pranks has inflicted actual damage, and the first time one of his pranks has come near any of the magi. So, very out of character.)



 qcipher » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:43 pm
Alexei arrives back from his journeys in the countryside, he was getting some information of animals owned by giants, that were of similar stature even. Ideal perhaps for a familiar if he could find it. Returning to his chambers he sees…quite the mess. Helmut had already arrived with some of the cleaning staff, but the vandalism and disgraces done to his hard won banners and trophies, the plant given to him by Apollodorus when he first arrived, the clothes he wore to church, the new tabbard he had commissioned for his rank as Chief Hoplite…

“Master ‘Lexi! Uh…we were hoping that we’d have this cleaned before you returned!” The cleaning ladies remain quiet, unsure of what to expect from the ordinarily jovial gentleman. "We uh…one of them thinks they saw that little…creature that often stays with Master Stultus. We…“ he stops talking when he sees that Alexei has already disappeared. ”Oh dear…"

There is a sharp rapping at the door to Stultus’s chambers as if from a hard wooden object.



 cunningrat1 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:51 pm
Stultus opens the door, smiling — and the smile disappears from his face as he sees who it is. "Herr von Kroitzau. How may I be of assistance, honored sodalis?" The words and the delivery are extremely — one might even say excessively — formal.

EDIT: Corrected the mode of address. Why do I keep mixing up “sodalis” and “sodales”?



 qcipher » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:07 pm
Alexei opens his mouth and seems ready to exhale fire but pauses, perhaps it was the formal greeting that caught him off guard, or perhaps he’s been trying to reign in his humours. He takes a deep and shuddering breath and the whiteness on his knuckles seem to fade a bit as he relaxes his grip just a bit.

“Stultus…come with me to my chambers please.” he gestures down the hall with his staff.



 cunningrat1 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:15 pm
qcipher wrote:Alexei opens his mouth and seems ready to exhale fire but pauses, perhaps it was the formal greeting that caught him off guard, or perhaps he’s been trying to reign in his humours. He takes a deep and shuddering breath and the whiteness on his knuckles seem to fade a bit as he relaxes his grip just a bit.

“Stultus…come with me to my chambers please.” he gestures down the hall with his staff.

(( Um. Stultus’ sanctum is all the way up the mountain…
… what the heck. Let’s say Stultus has a room inside the castle proper, for those days when he’s tired and really doesn’t want to make the climb in the dark. Alexei probably caught him there. That makes the scene work.))

“Certainly, honored sodalis,” the dwarf responds, still as stiff and formal as a Quaesitor with a length of #8 rebar shoved up his backside. He steps out of the room, and follows Alexei.



 qcipher » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:37 pm
((Alexei usually teleports around so he probably didn’t notice the distance))

Alexei stays quiet the entire time, except for a brief question. "I used a spell to bring me here quickly, can you do the same? I don’t mind the walk, the cool air will do me good."



 cunningrat1 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:43 pm
“I can, though I will have to take it in stages. Please proceed, I shall catch up quickly. I wouldn’t wish to… delay you.”


 qcipher » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:51 pm
Alexei doesn’t say anything, merely nods as they continue their walk.

“I’ve been out and about lately…I’m looking for a suitable animal for my familiar. Have I missed anything while I was away?” His intense demeanor seems to have calmed a bit during the brisk walk.



 cunningrat1 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:12 pm
(( From 1228.4: The Mistress Always Spanks Twice))
qcipher wrote:Alexei doesn’t say anything, merely nods as they continue their walk.

“I’ve been out and about lately…I’m looking for a suitable animal for my familiar. Have I missed anything while I was away?” His intense demeanor seems to have calmed a bit during the brisk walk.

Stultus steadily refuses to be drawn into conversation during the walk, offering only monosyllabic answers. 

Once the pair reaches Alexei’s quarters, he steps inside, raising an eyebrow at the mess. "Is this what you’ve brought me here to see, Herr von Kroitzau?" It’s plain he doesn’t really understand what the mess has to do with him. (Or maybe he’s just pretending he doesn’t. He’s a Tytalus, after all, and everyone knows what those are like.)



 qcipher » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:52 pm
Alexei raises a hand to show the various damage, the scope of the mess.

“Yes…this is why. The…hairy little man that you have was seen as was his footprint plainly in the dirt from the plant he knocked over. I keep my door locked, but apparently he is resourceful. I was quite angry when I first saw this…but then I started to think that damage like this might come with owning a willful familiar. Is this the work of your little companion? Do I have this to look forward to should I get my own familiar? This event might be…I hesitate to say lucky, but perhaps fortuitous considering what I’m intending. I rather liked that creature, he seemed charming the few times I’ve seen him.”



 cunningrat1 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:36 pm
Stultus closes his eyes as if in pain. “Oh, Rahere, you idiot. Excuse me for a moment.” He communes with his familiar mentally for about a minute, and then looks up at Alexei. “My apologies, sodalis. Yes, it was him. He was angry over what he perceived as you insulting me, and — with his limited understanding — decided to take revenge. I promise you that he will be chastised appropriately. Please feel free to take…” He surveys the extent of the mess " two — no, best make it three pawns of vis from my share at the next disbursal, as reparations for the damage."


 qcipher » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:53 pm
Alexei shakes his head and waves off the offer. “No no Sodalis, I was angry. Now I am not so much.” Helmut looks rather shocked at this but continues to clean and organize. "I have never owned an animal other than a horse, and while they can be a bit spirited, they also stay in the stable. A magical creature…presumably with some intelligence might be quite a handful. This incident was likely a good warning on what I might expect. If you would like to make ammends on behalf of, Rahere is it? Perhaps you could give me more formal insight on familiars and with your connections to the people in and around the Covenant you might help me to find the one I’m looking for?“ he gestures for a table that’s been righted and sits down, offering Stultus a seat. ”I’ve been looking for an appropriate animal, I think a dog would suit me. I have heard about some of the giants keep and breed animals and of course there are legends of that. I’m hoping to find then a dog from a giant. Would you be able to provide some assistance with that?"


 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:47 pm
jebrick wrote:When they reach the portal to Harco, Celestina will turn to Fiona. You wanted to ask me something? Best do it now while you almost trust the listening ears.

Fiona stops and turns to face Celestina, looking almost embarrassed. ((Com 2 + Guile (hiding true feelings 3 + die roll of 2 = 7))

“The body I wore last night isn’t the only one I’ve invented recently. I’ve also invented a variant of The Succubus’s Trick that works on someone my size. Korvin doesn’t know about that one…you know how men can be sometimes. But…it occurs to me that I have no idea how to actually use it, and I was wondering if you could help.”



 cunningrat1 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:51 pm
Stultus shrugs. "About the only advice I can offer about familiars is, don’t experiment when binding one. Not really a terrific idea, as you can see. “ He is still subdued — he might be putting a brave face on it, but he’s clearly still upset about something. Quite possibly whatever it was that caused Rahere to raid Alexei’s quarters in the first place. ”That and… remember that the bond goes both ways. Just as the familiar will begin to resemble you, in attitudes and behavior, so will you begin to resemble the familar. Though in your case, I wouldn’t expect to see much of a change. Dogs are known for… “ his mouth twists ”… loyalty and devotion, as well as bravery."

“For giant lore, you’d have to apply to Fiona. But, I do know there are some large, powerful dogs — very distinctive looking — bred in Swabia… little town called Rottweil, quite close to Durenmar.”He scratches his nose thoughtfully. “And then there are the enormous dogs Charles was telling me about, from Aragon and Castille… he called them Mastín Español. Said they stand three feet tall at the shoulder, and weigh damn near 300 pounds.”

(( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Mastiff  ))



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:59 pm
qcipher wrote:Alexei does seem to notice the flirtation…but as any gentleman would he rather stoically avoid or ignore it. On the subject of spells, Alexei is a mixed bag of help. Surprisinlgy there’s likely a lot of spells where he needs a brief refresher on exactly what the spell does. ((A lot of spells he doesn’t know because he can’t use them and so knows nothing of them; those at Voice range are the typical spells)). However whenever a spell is described and/or he knows it, he brings up a hypothetical situation on the strengths and weaknesses of the spell in combat, most have combat effectiveness.

“The thing to remember, is that as soon as you make yourself known as a caster of spells in a fight, you will attract much of the attention. Your shield grog will not be able to protect you for long, depending on their numbers and tactics. Plus you will attract all of their missile fire, do you have any spells that can protect you from arrows and projectiles?”

“I haven’t invented one, no,” Fiona says, then does some quick mental figuring. "I might be able to cast a spontaneous spell that can repel wooden weapons for a diameter, depending on the aura.“((Basically a Diameter duration Repel the Wooden Shafts, which would be Level 15; her CT is Sta 3 + Re 10 + He 10 + aura + die roll, halved. She would need an Aura + die roll of 7 to pull it off.))
qcipher wrote:”Do you have spells to protect you? Your size is a help no doubt, but also attracts attention."

Fiona purses her lips. "Robe of Impenetrable Linen is all I know, I’m afraid…aside from my Charge of the Angry Winds and Jupiter’s Resounding Blow, which aren’t really ‘defensive’."
qcipher wrote:((Make a Folk Ken roll regarding Alexei’s attitude towards your attentions as well as how he speaks of his strategies.))

((Per 0 + Folk Ken (magi) 2 + die roll of 2 = 4. Dang. Ooc, I’m dying to know, but it looks like Fiona would be clueless.))



 jebrick » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:16 am
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:
jebrick wrote:When they reach the portal to Harco, Celestina will turn to Fiona. You wanted to ask me something? Best do it now while you almost trust the listening ears.

Fiona stops and turns to face Celestina, looking almost embarrassed. ((Com 2 + Guile (hiding true feelings 3 + die roll of 2 = 7))

“The body I wore last night isn’t the only one I’ve invented recently. I’ve also invented a variant of The Succubus’s Trick that works on someone my size. Korvin doesn’t know about that one…you know how men can be sometimes. But…it occurs to me that I have no idea how to actually use it, and I was wondering if you could help.”

Celestina looks at Fiona for a while then lets out a chuckle. I really do feel sorry for people who do not know magi intimately. Their lives must be so boring. She chuckles again. Of course Fiona. I’ve not broken in a virgin in a ling time. I think you already know many of the finer points but as I’ve told Korvin, you have to experiment some times.

Now I must be off. Bend down her and give me a kiss.



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:43 pm
jebrick wrote:Celestina looks at Fiona for a while then lets out a chuckle. I really do feel sorry for people who do not know magi intimately. Their lives must be so boring. She chuckles again. Of course Fiona. I’ve not broken in a virgin in a ling time. I think you already know many of the finer points but as I’ve told Korvin, you have to experiment some times.

“I do know the basics, at least from the other side. A lot of grunting, a lot of thrusting, a bit of a mess, and then they sag. And, with luck, they can do it all again before too long. But, yes, magic does make things a lot better…especially when you’re my size.”
jebrick wrote:Now I must be off. Bend down her and give me a kiss.

Fiona bends over, not worried in the least about her blouse billowing, and kisses Celestina warmly (if somewhat awkwardly). "Be easier on my knees," she smiles.



 jebrick » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:29 pm
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:[
jebrick wrote:Now I must be off. Bend down her and give me a kiss.

Fiona bends over, not worried in the least about her blouse billowing, and kisses Celestina warmly (if somewhat awkwardly). "Be easier on my knees," she smiles.

I’ll have you there soon enough my dear. Give Korvin my love.

She waves and steps through the portal to Harco.



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:40 pm
jebrick wrote:
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:[
jebrick wrote:Now I must be off. Bend down her and give me a kiss.

Fiona bends over, not worried in the least about her blouse billowing, and kisses Celestina warmly (if somewhat awkwardly). "Be easier on my knees," she smiles.

I’ll have you there soon enough my dear. Give Korvin my love.

She waves and steps through the portal to Harco.

“Before you go…when did you want to get together again?”



 Jonathan.Link » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:50 pm
((It’s easy when you next want her to come visit, just put your lips together and blow. When is this little tryst happening, by the way?))


Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:18 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:((It’s easy when you next want her to come visit, just put your lips together and blow. When is this little tryst happening, by the way?))

((This scene is/was the second day after the Summer Council Meeting. Fiona invented her spells in Spring.))



 jebrick » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:38 am
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:
Jonathan.Link wrote:((It’s easy when you next want her to come visit, just put your lips together and blow. When is this little tryst happening, by the way?))

((This scene is/was the second day after the Summer Council Meeting. Fiona invented her spells in Spring.))

((It would have to be after mid-summer festival in the Greater Alps.))



 qcipher » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:00 am
Alexei nods at Stultus response, it was good to hear. He’d read of some of the difficulties with Familiars, hearing it first hand helped though.

“Well thank you Stultus, I accept your apology and you sincere effort and offer to make ammends. You’ll be able to keep Rahere from doing this again? I don’t like inadvertently insulting someone…I much prefer it to be intentional. However, I’ve a bit of a history of either my poor attempts at humor or excessive sense of familiarity leading to an insult without my intent. A protective familiar could surely hear that. We’ll consider this closed. With how close you are to the people, if you should hear anything of interest regarding a suitable familiar for me, I would appreciate you sharing it with me.”

Helmut brings a cup of wine for each magus.



 qcipher » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:18 am
“I haven’t invented one, no,” Fiona says, then does some quick mental figuring. “I might be able to cast a spontaneous spell that can repel wooden weapons for a diameter, depending on the aura.” ((Basically a Diameter duration Repel the Wooden Shafts, which would be Level 15; her CT is Sta 3 + Re 10 + He 10 + aura + die roll, halved. She would need an Aura + die roll of 7 to pull it off.))

“If you have the room in your talisman you might consider putting the protective enchantment in it. It could activate faster and concentrate for you for example. I’m transcribing several spells ((check the Seasonal Activities)), the majority are about teleportation and one is useful in combat if you can master it for speed. The problem would again be your size. One of the spells I’m transcribing is for the Wizard’s Parry, but you need to master it for speed…and is rather daring. You reach out and parry the incoming blow with your hand or talisman. Circling Winds of Protection might be ideal, but could foul the grog protecting you. I use Shriek of the Impending Shafts, it is subtle and offers near total protection, but you do need to be able to move. It is probably wiser to make sure you are not the target and save some of the power needed to cast the spell. The spells to increase the protection of your clothes is always a good option, plus it won’t Warp you, just the clothes. I have spells to produce and enhance armour…but again they’d need to be enhanced for your size.”

((Alexei doesn’t seem to be shy nor dense, but he does not seem to respond to advances, so he’s still a bit of a mystery.))



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:25 am
Jonathan.Link wrote:((It’s easy when you next want her to come visit, just put your lips together and blow. When is this little tryst happening, by the way?))

Hmmm…
jebrick wrote:((It would have to be after mid-summer festival in the Greater Alps.))

((Shouldn’t be a problem. Mid-Summer Fair is June 3-10, “but spreads a few days either side” (Sanctuary of Ice, p. 24). Summer Solstice in 1228 is Wednesday June 14, so this would be the night of June 15 and morning of June 16.))



 jebrick » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:37 am
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:
Jonathan.Link wrote:((It’s easy when you next want her to come visit, just put your lips together and blow. When is this little tryst happening, by the way?))

Hmmm…
jebrick wrote:((It would have to be after mid-summer festival in the Greater Alps.))

((Shouldn’t be a problem. Mid-Summer Fair is June 3-10, “but spreads a few days either side” (Sanctuary of Ice, p. 24). Summer Solstice in 1228 is Wednesday June 14, so this would be the night of June 15 and morning of June 16.))

((I’ll let JL set the time as Celestina’s travel in the GA could take a season. ))

Edit:((I’m going to explain this a bit more now that I have time. Celestina will have a route that she will be humping through the Alps with a mule. I’m guessing that it will take some time. THat is why I was looking at some input from JL))



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:55 pm
((I’m assuming that since the Mid-Summer Fair is before the Summer Solstice, and this happened the day or two after the Summer Solstice, that she’s good on time and nothing that happened didn’t happen.))

Fiona returns to her bedchamber and watches Korvin sleep for a couple of minutes before she slips out of her clothes and climbs under the sheets, cuddling up next to him with her hand between his legs and starts to drowse herself. When he finally starts to stir, she slides down for some sausage and eggs for breakfast, taking her time. When she’s done, she smiles at him. "Do you want to stay here today and sleep it off? Or do you have to go?"



 jebrick » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:25 pm
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:((I’m assuming that since the Mid-Summer Fair is before the Summer Solstice, and this happened the day or two after the Summer Solstice, that she’s good on time and nothing that happened didn’t happen.))

Fiona returns to her bedchamber and watches Korvin sleep for a couple of minutes before she slips out of her clothes and climbs under the sheets, cuddling up next to him with her hand between his legs and starts to drowse herself. When he finally starts to stir, she slides down for some sausage and eggs for breakfast, taking her time. When she’s done, she smiles at him. "Do you want to stay here today and sleep it off? Or do you have to go?"

If I stay here, do we have to sleep?



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:12 pm
jebrick wrote:
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:Fiona returns to her bedchamber and watches Korvin sleep for a couple of minutes before she slips out of her clothes and climbs under the sheets, cuddling up next to him with her hand between his legs and starts to drowse herself. When he finally starts to stir, she slides down for some sausage and eggs for breakfast, taking her time. When she’s done, she smiles at him. "Do you want to stay here today and sleep it off? Or do you have to go?"

If I stay here, do we have to sleep?

Fiona grins mischievously. "I thought you were tired. We’ve had a long night. But, no, we don’t have to sleep the day away. I don’t plan on getting out of bed if I don’t have to, though.“ Fiona kisses him tenderly and pulls him close, getting comfortable. ”Celestina sends her love, by the way. She’s a beautiful, wonderful woman. Thank you for introducing us."

And she goes no farther than the chamber pot that day, napping between taking pleasure in Korvin, and having Moire bring them breakfast in bed, and lunch in bed, and dinner in bed.



Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:59 pm
qcipher wrote:“If you have the room in your talisman you might consider putting the protective enchantment in it. It could activate faster and concentrate for you for example. I’m transcribing several spells ((check the Seasonal Activities)), the majority are about teleportation and one is useful in combat if you can master it for speed. The problem would again be your size. One of the spells I’m transcribing is for the Wizard’s Parry, but you need to master it for speed…and is rather daring. You reach out and parry the incoming blow with your hand or talisman. Circling Winds of Protection might be ideal, but could foul the grog protecting you. I use Shriek of the Impending Shafts, it is subtle and offers near total protection, but you do need to be able to move. It is probably wiser to make sure you are not the target and save some of the power needed to cast the spell. The spells to increase the protection of your clothes is always a good option, plus it won’t Warp you, just the clothes. I have spells to produce and enhance armour…but again they’d need to be enhanced for your size.”

((Not sure what more I want from this story. Just wanted to rp some with Alexei and lay the groundwork for some exposure xp in single weapon or brawling or something.))



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:56 pm
(Continued/moved from "An Unexpected Vis-i-tour"))

Once Gerulf and Tranquillina have gone, and it’s just Fiona, Stultus, and the ruddy mice, Fiona takes a sip of wine and sets the cup on the floor next to her, looking at her host intently.

“You are a curious man, Stultus,” she finally says. "And you have piqued my interest in more ways than one."

She shifts a little bit to get more comfortable as she sits tailor style against the wall. "I enjoy a bawdy sense of humour as much as the next person, and maybe more than most. But I still find myself wondering. 

“Not to sound vain, but I’ve grown used to people not refusing an opportunity to spend some raucous time with me. I know you said it was you and not me, but I am curious as to what you meant? Did the circumstances make you uncomfortable, or was it something else?”



 cunningrat1 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:53 pm
Stultus sighs. "I don’t know that I’m drunk enough for this conversation, but what the heck." He clambers into a chair, putting his eyes on a level with Fiona’s. (He also checks that all the mice are still in the lab, out of earshot: they remember the damnedest things, usually the ones he doesn’t want them to remember.)

“I have a little problem with my little soldier, Fiona.” He gives the Ex Miscellanea a wry look. "Yes, I know where your mind just went, and it can turn right around and come back out again. The soldier ain’t that little, and the problem can’t be fixed with Corpus spells. The problem is that when the soldier stands at attention, sounds the charge, and rushes forth into the breach… my heart usually follows."

“Now, that’s not too bad of a problem, ordinarily. But as you said it yourself, to you it’s… raucous time. Bed sport. Making the beast with two backs. A bit of healthful exercise, and a great deal of fun besides.” There’s no judgment in his voice, and certainly no censure — he is merely stating what is. "Unless I miss my guess, that is also how you keep your lovers from each other’s throats: all of them know that it is just sport, and that you’re firmly and unquestioningly in charge of picking your partners. All of them know the score, all of them know the rules, and all of them know that the rules are set in stone, so there is little ground for jealousy among them. Am I correct in that?"



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:46 pm
Fiona nods slowly, understanding exactly what he means. "To you, it’s not just fun and games. You want to love the one you’re with. Without love…it may not be meaningless, but it doesn’t mean as much. Believe it or not, I know just what you mean." She smiles, but says nothing for a long moment, looking like she’s deep in thought.

“But you’re right,” she finally says. "I sleep with who I want to sleep with, and if anyone thinks they can tell me I can’t play with someone…well, they’re going to miss out. I’ve only had to put my foot down once or twice, though."

Her smile broadens, and she has a twinkle in her eye. "So. Now that we know where the line is drawn, we can play the game. It’ll be refreshing to have someone to have fun with and not have to worry about them trying to climb under my skirt."

She leans forward conspiratorially. "One favor, if you don’t mind?“ she whispers, almost purring in her ear. ”Can we keep the fact that we’re not sleeping together just between us? I’d hate for it to get out that there are men immune to my charms."



 cunningrat1 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:27 pm
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:Fiona nods slowly, understanding exactly what he means. "To you, it’s not just fun and games. You want to love the one you’re with. Without love…it may not be meaningless, but it doesn’t mean as much. Believe it or not, I know just what you mean." She smiles, but says nothing for a long moment, looking like she’s deep in thought.

Stultus waggles his hand back and forth. “Yes and no… and then again yes… and y’know what, it doesn’t matter. You understand for the most part where I am coming from, and that is more than good enough for practical purposes.” 

Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:Her smile broadens, and she has a twinkle in her eye. "So. Now that we know where the line is drawn, we can play the game. It’ll be refreshing to have someone to have fun with and not have to worry about them trying to climb under my skirt."

She leans forward conspiratorially. "One favor, if you don’t mind?“ she whispers, almost purring in her ear. ”Can we keep the fact that we’re not sleeping together just between us? I’d hate for it to get out that there are men immune to my charms."

Stultus smirks. "Of course. Just be sure you keep up with the straight lines."



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:26 pm
cunningrat1 wrote:
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:She leans forward conspiratorially. "One favor, if you don’t mind?“ she whispers, almost purring in her ear. ”Can we keep the fact that we’re not sleeping together just between us? I’d hate for it to get out that there are men immune to my charms."

Stultus smirks. "Of course. Just be sure you keep up with the straight lines."

“Oh, I’ve never had a problem keeping up,” Fiona says with a grin.

She then gets up and quickly adjusts her clothes and musses her hair, then makes a half-hearted effort to finger-comb her hair before she turns to Stultus. "Shall we?" she says as she opens the door to rejoin the others.



 cunningrat1 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:37 pm
Stultus shakes the last few drops of ale from his mug into his hand, rubs the liquid along his nose to give it a suspicious sheen, rumples up his clothing, and follows Fiona outside with his best cat-ate-the-canary expression plastered across his phyz.


 cunningrat1 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:23 pm
Stultus comes wandering through the garden, and (after ascertaining with the servant that Fiona has not yet gone to bed and is not ‘entertaining’ anyone) sticks his head in the door.

“Sodalis. Got a favor to ask. You wouldn’t have about half a bottle of that Creo-Ignem-vis-masquerading-as-alcohol stuff of yours to spare, would you? It’s been a week for ‘learning experiences’, and I’d like something to wash them down with. If you’d be so kind.”



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:45 pm
cunningrat1 wrote:Stultus comes wandering through the garden, and (after ascertaining with the servant that Fiona has not yet gone to bed and is not ‘entertaining’ anyone) sticks his head in the door.

“Sodalis. Got a favor to ask. You wouldn’t have about half a bottle of that Creo-Ignem-vis-masquerading-as-alcohol stuff of yours to spare, would you? It’s been a week for ‘learning experiences’, and I’d like something to wash them down with. If you’d be so kind.”

“Of course, Stultus. Would you like it in a skin, or a goblet?”



cunningrat1 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:24 pm
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:“Of course, Stultus. Would you like it in a skin, or a goblet?”

“How about in a Rego Aquam spell?” The dwarf snorts, mouth twisting. "Corpus requisite. Direct delivery of alcohol to stomach. WHAM, and you’re plastered, with none of the tedium of getting drunk in the first place.“ He eyes Fiona with a small smile. ”No such luck, huh? I’ll have to invent that spell one of these days. Anyway… your choice whether it’s a skin or a goblet, just be aware the goblet probably comes with a dwarf-sized vent."



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:57 pm
Fiona grins at Stultus. "Ah, but getting drunk is half the fun…the other half being who you’re getting drunk with." She gets up and leaves the room, returning a couple of minutes later with a bottle and two goblets, one noticeably larger than the other. She sets the smaller one in front of Stultus and fills each of them about half way.

“Just so you know, the nearest chamberpot is in my bedroom. And of all the things you could be doing with your mentula in my bedroom…” She grins with a wink.

She raises her goblet to Stultus in a silent toast and takes a sip with practiced ease. She sets her goblet down and leans forward, resting her chin on her fingers. "So…what’s on your mind?"



 Jonathan.Link » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:23 pm
Paul comes in, "Quiet night in Fiona, or do I need to run around? It’s positively crowded with cats, drakes, and that soldier guy, Alex wants a dog. And there’s his ape he says indicating Stultus, And what’s this I’ve heard of mice? I need a drink already, Fiona. I know I have thumbs, but I can’t poor it easily!"


Peregrine_Bjornaer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:35 pm
Fiona smiles at her familiar. "A quiet night in, I fear. Some people just don’t recover as quickly as others," she says with a grin and a wink at Stultus. She gets up to get a small bowl, sets it on the floor, and pours Paul a bit of God’s dram.

“Ah, yes…the mice. The murine militia. The rodent rebellion. Do they show any signs of spreading, Stultus, or are they content to harass you and Rahere for now?”



cunningrat1 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:48 pm
Stultus shrugs. "I haven’t paid them much mind, lately. However…“ He leans over, staring at Paul past the edge of the table. ”If I could request that you give them a wide berth,“ he says directly to the cat, ”I would much appreciate it. I know for a fact that they can easily defeat a normal cat. While you are, of course, not a normal cat, and I don’t know who’d win if you tangled, I’d rather not explain the consequences to Fiona either way. Deal?"

He picks up the goblet and takes a healthy swig, coughing as the whiskey sets his esophagus on fire. "What’s on my mind? Oh, the aforementioned lessons. First Cumhachd showed up: although she’s been mostly civil to me, it’s still stressful. Then Alexei administered an object and very painful lesson in what my TRUE place is at Mons Electi. Then Rahere got pissed off at Alexei’s object lesson and went and pissed all over Alexei’s quarters, requiring me to go apologize to that fu… er, Flambeau. That’s lesson number two — don’t experiment when binding a familiar. And finally, Tranquillina chimed in with two reinforcements of yet a third lesson: that some people are so hell-bent on screwing up their own life that they should be allowed to do so, lest they drag you down with them."



 Jonathan.Link » Wed May 01, 2013 10:12 am
((And here’s where the timestream of this thread goes to a heck…))
In the summer of 1228, before Roberto has left on his mission…

Abigail comes through the portal from Harco as if in mid sentence, "Just stop pestering me, alright? I’m fine. The birth was easy, and the child is well cared for at Phoenix. My father understands this, which should be good enough for you.“ With her is another person the grogs have never seen before. 
Abigail looks at one of the nearby covenfolk, ”I realize I have no standing in the covenant as Korvin’s apprentice, but this man is here at my father’s insistence, under the terms of the contract of fosterage he has with Master Korvin. We need to find him guest quarters, or something."
The man just stands there looking at Abigail, until she realizes she was speaking in Hebrew, which she then repeats in Latin. He still stands there and shakes his head. Continuing to the man next to her. "Rabbi, I told you they would not listen to me, follow me to Korvin’s quarters, he’ll have to see to your arrangements."

((Just noticed that Pinhas has Reb before his name, but he isn’t a rabbi, or is he? Reb is supposed to be for a man who is not a rabbi…))



 cunningrat1 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:02 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:((Just noticed that Pinhas has Reb before his name, but he isn’t a rabbi, or is he? Reb is supposed to be for a man who is not a rabbi…))

(( Yeah, I messed that up. He is an ordained rabbi, and therefore should be addressed as ‘Rebbe’ or ‘Rav’. Post coming in a bit.))



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Wed May 01, 2013 8:23 pm
cunningrat1 wrote:(Stultus) picks up the goblet and takes a healthy swig, coughing as the whiskey sets his esophagus on fire. "What’s on my mind? Oh, the aforementioned lessons. First Cumhachd showed up: although she’s been mostly civil to me, it’s still stressful. Then Alexei administered an object and very painful lesson in what my TRUE place is at Mons Electi. Then Rahere got pissed off at Alexei’s object lesson and went and pissed all over Alexei’s quarters, requiring me to go apologize to that fu… er, Flambeau. That’s lesson number two — don’t experiment when binding a familiar. And finally, Tranquillina chimed in with two reinforcements of yet a third lesson: that some people are so hell-bent on screwing up their own life that they should be allowed to do so, lest they drag you down with them."

“Cumhachd has mostly kept to herself since she arrived, hasn’t she? Her and her mystery men? But I can imagine having your mater show up unexpectedly would be more stressful for a Tytalus than for most.”

Her eyes narrow. "And what, pray tell, does Alexei claim is your ‘true’ place here?"

She takes a sip of her whiskey. "With this storm, my maidservant and I haven’t been as abreast of the goings-on as we normally would be. What’s going on with Tranquillina?"



 cunningrat1 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:03 pm
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:Her eyes narrow. "And what, pray tell, does Alexei claim is your ‘true’ place here?"

“It wasn’t a verbal claim. More of a demonstration, really.” Stultus takes another small sip of his whiskey. "Cumhachd had just showed up, and stuck something in Tranquillina’s face which knocked the woman on her keister. Vis, I assume. So I’m standing there, talking to Cumhachd, trying to get her attention away from Tranquillina, when Alexei teleports in and starts ordering the grogs around."

“First of all, he didn’t need to do that. I was handling the situation just fine, and neither of us were in any danger. But that’s understandable — he doesn’t know Cumhachd from Adam, didn’t know that she was my mater, didn’t know whether she was a threat, and a shield grog or two never hurts. So he gets a pass on that part. But the order he gave was ‘Protect Tranquillina’. Not ‘protect the magi’. Not ‘protect Tranquillina — oh, and the ugly dwarf too’. Just Tranquillina.”

“Now, the man knows I’m about as far from a combat magus as it’s possible to get. I told him so, in so many words. As if my stunning physique wasn’t enough of a clue. One good sword blow and it’s finita la commedia.” Stultus grows pale and shivers, hugging his shoulders for a moment — it’s fairly obvious that his last words are not just a figure of speech. "So, the only thing I can conclude is that his first gut reaction was ’it’s Tranquillina who’s truly valuable here. Bugger the dwarf, he can fend for himself.’"

He reaches for his goblet again, swirling the amber liquid and staring at it moodily. "I should have expected it, in retrospect. Tranquillina has three things I do not possess — a pretty face and a pair of tits — and this IS Alexei we’re talking about here. But it still hurts, you know?"
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:She takes a sip of her whiskey. "With this storm, my maidservant and I haven’t been as abreast of the goings-on as we normally would be. What’s going on with Tranquillina?"

“Tranquillina is dancing.” Another sip of whiskey, a smaller one this time. "Ever seen a marionette? Cumhachd is yanking on the girl’s strings just as hard as she can, and Tranquillina is jerking in response, dancing to Cumhachd’s tune. It’s infuriating. I see it all so clearly — I see the strings, I know what they are, I know how they got attached in the first place — and I want to help. On her own Tranquillina might not ever figure out what Cumhachd wants, what the purpose is behind the manipulation, because she understands so damn little of my House.“ Stultus is talking rather quickly, a waterfall of words pouring out of his mouth. ”All that’s needed is the tiniest hint, a little push — the woman’s brilliant, she’ll figure it out on her own if she sees the problem in the right light — but any time I try to help she spits in my face. I can’t blame her for any of it — it’s Eskil’s problems, Eskil’s unresolved issues that are leaping up and slapping her in the face, lessons that Eskil never learned — but… but… eh.“ He deflates, abruptly, and takes another swig with a ‘bugger it all’ expression on his face. ”Just… frustrating."



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Wed May 01, 2013 10:02 pm
cunningrat1 wrote:“Now, the man knows I’m about as far from a combat magus as it’s possible to get. I told him so, in so many words. As if my stunning physique wasn’t enough of a clue. One good sword blow and it’sfinita la commedia.” Stultus grows pale and shivers, hugging his shoulders for a moment — it’s fairly obvious that his last words are not just a figure of speech. "So, the only thing I can conclude is that his first gut reaction was ’it’s Tranquillina who’s truly valuable here. Bugger the dwarf, he can fend for himself.’"

Fiona shakes her head. As fond as she is of the Flambeau, she’s still surprised at the way he deals with people sometimes.
cunningrat1 wrote:He reaches for his goblet again, swirling the amber liquid and staring at it moodily. "I should have expected it, in retrospect. Tranquillina has three things I do not possess — a pretty face and a pair of tits — and this IS Alexei we’re talking about here. But it still hurts, you know?"

Fiona rolls her eyes. "Trust me, Alexei is not swayed by a pretty face and nice pair of tits."
cunningrat1 wrote:“Tranquillina is dancing.” Another sip of whiskey, a smaller one this time. "Ever seen a marionette? Cumhachd is yanking on the girl’s strings just as hard as she can, and Tranquillina is jerking in response, dancing to Cumhachd’s tune. It’s infuriating. I see it all so clearly — I see the strings, I know what they are, I know how they got attached in the first place — and I want to help. On her own Tranquillina might not ever figure out what Cumhachd wants, what the purpose is behind the manipulation, because she understands so damn little of my House.“ Stultus is talking rather quickly, a waterfall of words pouring out of his mouth. ”All that’s needed is the tiniest hint, a little push — the woman’s brilliant, she’ll figure it out on her own if she sees the problem in the right light — but any time I try to help she spits in my face. I can’t blame her for any of it — it’s Eskil’s problems, Eskil’s unresolved issues that are leaping up and slapping her in the face, lessons that Eskil never learned — but… but… eh.“ He deflates, abruptly, and takes another swig with a ‘bugger it all’ expression on his face. ”Just… frustrating."

Fiona purses her lips thoughtfully. "Perhaps if she heard it from someone who…weren’t so closely associated with her… former domina?"



 cunningrat1 » Wed May 01, 2013 10:06 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:Abigail comes through the portal from Harco as if in mid sentence, "Just stop pestering me, alright? I’m fine. The birth was easy, and the child is well cared for at Phoenix. My father understands this, which should be good enough for you." With her is another person the grogs have never seen before.

“The welfare of the child is not in question, Avigail”, the man responds in the same language, in an unexpectedly resonant voice. “What we are discussing is the concept of hakarat ha-chet1, which you persist in…” He breaks off in mid-word as he realizes that there isn’t another portal to pass through. "Oh. We have arrived, then."
(( 1 — literally, “a recognition of having sinned”. However, it is worth noting that the word used denotes the least offensive category of sin: it literally means ‘miss’, as in ‘missing the mark’. ))
(( I spent the last hour or so crawling around Judaic websites, attempting to understand fully the views on pre-marital sex and children born out of wedlock. The results were … rather surprising.))

Jonathan.Link wrote:Abigail looks at one of the nearby covenfolk, "I realize I have no standing in the covenant as Korvin’s apprentice, but this man is here at my father’s insistence, under the terms of the contract of fosterage he has with Master Korvin. We need to find him guest quarters, or something."
The man just stands there looking at Abigail, until she realizes she was speaking in Hebrew, which she then repeats in Latin. He still stands there and shakes his head. Continuing to the man next to her. "Rabbi, I told you they would not listen to me, follow me to Korvin’s quarters, he’ll have to see to your arrangements."

“Let us go see your teacher then, by all means.”



 Jonathan.Link » Wed May 01, 2013 10:35 pm
cunningrat1 wrote:“The welfare of the child is not in question, Avigail”, the man responds in the same language, in an unexpectedly resonant voice. “What we are discussing is the concept of hakarat ha-chet1, which you persist in…” He breaks off in mid-word as he realizes that there isn’t another portal to pass through. "Oh. We have arrived, then."

Abigail counters, "So you would prefer I were more like Azura? That I performed the daily rituals, observed Shabbat, but not feel the joy of it in my heart? That it is better to lie to myself and G-d?"
cunningrat1 wrote:“Let us go see your teacher then, by all means.”

“Very well, I’ll take you to him.”. They go to Korvin’s quarters, "wait here, while I get him. I will not presume to invite you in, I have no right to do so.".

Abigail goes to Korvin, "Master, I’m back. But I have a guest with me. Father is wishing to enforce the part of the contract where it indicates I have access to a rabbi.". She appears embarrassed by this, not because she’s concerned of what Korvin thinks about her religion, just that it’s being forced…

((Azura was played a bit in Phoenix, the player was Jewish, but chose the flaw Dutybound, as it more accurately reflected her character’s feeling, since she took no joy in the practice of her religion.))



 cunningrat1 » Wed May 01, 2013 11:01 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:Abigail counters, "So you would prefer I were more like Azura? That I performed the daily rituals, observed Shabbat, but not feel the joy of it in my heart? That it is better to lie to myself and G-d?"

“And what on earth would be the point of that? A mitzvah done without joy is no mitzvah at all. Only when you are joyous is your soul complete and whole. Does not the hundredth Psalm say ‘Serve G-d with joy, come before Him with song’?” Pinchas smiles at Abigail as he walks beside the young woman. "Are those the only two options you feel are open to you? To observe the form yet miss the inner meaning, like Azura — or to discard the form entirely and abandon the meaning along with it?"



 cunningrat1 » Wed May 01, 2013 11:20 pm
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:Fiona rolls her eyes. "Trust me, Alexei is not swayed by a pretty face and nice pair of tits."

“Yes he is,” contradicts Stultus. "He may not admit to it, but he is. Besides, he’s swallowed the whole knightly chivalry thing — the Chretien de Troyes malarkey — hook, line, and sinker. At some deep level, beneath the surface, to him women are something to be cherished and protected, no matter what the woman herself wishes."
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:Fiona purses her lips thoughtfully. "Perhaps if she heard it from someone who…weren’t so closely associated with her… former domina?"

“Yeah, that would work. Problem is, there isn’t such a person. No one in this covenant knows Cumhachd at all, no one except Marcus possesses the requisite understanding of the Tytalus mindset, and Marcus is too smart to interfere in what is essentially a private Tytalus matter. And I can’t explain what Cumhachd is doing in the necessary level of detail without betraying confidences.”Stultus stares glumly into his cup.



 qcipher » Thu May 02, 2013 11:59 am
Alexei was on the run, he’d never been so hard pressed in his life. His grogs were all left behind. He’d been teleporting almost blindly once he lost the arcane connections to Mons Electi and his sanctum. His tabbard was tattered and spattered with mud and muck. His armour looked like he’d been mauled by a great beast. His staff had the spear tip torn from it and Alexei looked exhausted. He crouched behind a great oak tree and tried to calm his heart beat and breathing. He just needed a few moments rest, but the beast was relentless!

How did it come to this? He was the great Alexei von Kroitsau! Slayer of monsters! Scourge of the battlefield! Champion on the Milites! He shivered in exhaustion at the base of the tree hoping he’d finally lost the ceature he’d roused. He took quiet breaths now as he listened for any sound of the determined beast. Just when it seemed he could say he may have lost it he heard the snapping of branches, the creak of trees and a lumbering tread he’d become all too familiar with of late. The noise stopped abruptly and with a frightened twitch in his head Alexei carefully crept around the tree to get a better look. Nothing. The forest was empty. He took a long shuddering breath before he was suddenly yanked off his feet by an unstoppable pull on his cloak. Struggling to breathe Alexei was dragged several paces by a monstrous form in brown fur, bigger than a French warhorse. It had Alexei’s cloak in its mouth and was pulling it and shaking its head furiously as Alexei was pulled along despite his best efforts. Finally the clasp snapped and the cloak was torn free and Alexei got up as quickly as he could manage, one hand on his staff and the other on his throat as he turned to face the beast…that was now happily rolling its enormous back into Alexei’s muddy cloak and making contented growls and rumbles.

The dog was gigantic, but judging by the ears and tails in proportion to its bulky size it was still a puppy. A tawny brown mastiff hound bigger than a horse, with a black mask of fur over its eyes and partway down its blunt muzzle. A smile came over Alexei as he watched the young beast roll around in his cloak like a favorite blanket.

“Found me again Donner! Good boy.” Alexei said as he walked up to it. The dog suddenly looked up attentitvely at the sound of Alexei’s voice and dropped a slobbery jowl and barked, a great throaty woof, as deep as if it eminated from a cave. "No…Donner…no…“ it barked again and hopped up on its haunches. ”No Donner! No! We do not jump on Alexei! DONNER!" the dog leapt and pounced, placing its massive paws on Alexei’s shoulders, completely ignoring his attempts at warding him off with his staff. Alexei was down in a heartbeat with Donner pinning him and licking his face with a tongue the colour of a summer ham, and breath as fresh as a rotten carcass.

“No! No stop! Ye Gods! Your breath could drop a fly off a dung heap! Here, here! Get the stick. Get the stick!” Alexei actually clunked the dog on its enormous head with his staff to get its attention and then flung the staff as far as he could. Donner made a delighted bark and got off of Alexei, chasing after the staff. Once he had it, he didn’t return with it but lay down and began to chew and worry at it contentedly, making low growl noises as he bit into the unyielding wood. Alexei once again struggled to get up. "Is that dog going to be my familiar or my death?“ he wondered aloud, and not for the first time.



 Jonathan.Link » Thu May 02, 2013 1:51 pm
cunningrat1 wrote:”And what on earth would be the point of that? A mitzvah done without joy is no mitzvah at all. Only when you are joyous is your soul complete and whole. Does not the hundredth Psalm say ‘Serve G-d with joy, come before Him with song’?“ Pinchas smiles at Abigail as he walks beside the young woman. ”Are those the only two options you feel are open to you? To observe the form yet miss the inner meaning, like Azura — or to discard the form entirely and abandon the meaning along with it?"

“Exactly my point, rabbi. I have no strong sense of faith like my father, mother and sister. I do not lie, and when I am in their home, I observe more to promote harmony with my family than out of a sense of obligation. I do not work on the Sabbath here, mostly so that my Master can honestly report to my father that he does not force me to do so. I recognize their rights to worship as they choose. My choice is not to worship, but not be disruptive. I don’t engage in Korvin’s heathen rituals, and my father probably had a greater sense of House Mercere’s pagan nature than I gave him credit for. My father once told me, that when G-d comes calling, I’ll know how to answer. I have not yet heard G-d. I recognize the meaning and form of the rituals I grew up with, and my decision to not practice is more out of respect for G-d, than anything. I do not lie to myself, nor do I lie to my family, and I believe I have never lied to G-d, if he should exist. I may break the Law, but I do have a code of conduct. You would seek to guide me back to being observant, perhaps at my father’s insistence, but the truth is, since the demons were chased from Phoenix, you’ve sought deeper meaning in your own life, and you’re here for yourself, much more than for me, or you wouldn’t have agreed so willingly.”



 cunningrat1 » Thu May 02, 2013 5:56 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:“You would seek to guide me back to being observant, perhaps at my father’s insistence, but the truth is, since the demons were chased from Phoenix, you’ve sought deeper meaning in your own life, and you’re here for yourself, much more than for me, or you wouldn’t have agreed so willingly.”

“Of course I am here for myself. And for you. And for Ra’am. And for any other Jew who might be living in the area who has no rabbi to tend to his needs. If there was a rabbi easily available, you wouldn’t have had to import me, neh? The Torah tells us to love our neighbor as ourselves. Serving you, and Ra’am, and other Jews — serving my community — is my place in the world, my expression of tikkun olam. It is through service to others that I find my fulfillment.

As to your earlier comment, about answering when G-d speaks… mmm. Hold on a moment.“ Pinchas stops, stepping to the side of the hallway, and crouches down on one knee, digging through his travel pack. He extracts a water-skin, handing it to Abigail, and a simple metal cup. ”I find myself thirsty from the trip. Could you pour me a drink of water, please?"

He holds the cup out to Abigail with a smile. Only problem is, he’s holding the cup upside down.



 qcipher » Thu May 02, 2013 6:09 pm
Alexei sent all his grogs and assistants back to his post while he struggled with the new member of his entourage. A leash did almost nothing, the dog managed to uproot trees as they brought it back from the giant’s Regio and seemed to think it was a game. Alexei basically had to keep the dog following him and pay attention lest its curious eyes led it astray. When they were finally within sight of the halls of Mons Electi Alexei let out a sigh.

“C’mon Donner, almost home.” the giant puppy followed happily until they reached the foot of a bridge, Alexei walked with a tired step up its familiar boards with Donner a few steps behind. Suddenly he stopped short as if running into an invisible wall. He sat up and looked at the nothing in ront of him, wondering why he couldn’t follow his new friend. Alexei didn’t notice and was almost across the bridge. Donner puffed out his chest and ducked his head and bowled forward and again was rebuffed. 

Alexei stopped when he heard the sad and mournful howl of Donner, looking back he saw the sad dog whining at the other side of the bridge. "What? Donner, come! Come! What’s wrong…oh…that is my fault. The Aegis.“ Alexei hurried back as Donner flopped onto his belly in sadness, wondering if Alexei had tricked him or something. Once Alexei was there he stood tall and addressed the dog, who looked up at him plaintively. ”Donner, the Giant’s Dog, I invite you into the Aegis of Mons Electi. You will be a good dog and a friend and guardian to all within. You may now enter.“ Alexei looked down at him. ”Donner, come! Come Donner!"

The huge dog looked incomprehending at Alexei and then the bridge as well as the invible wall that had stopped him before. Tentatively it reached a paw forward until it touched the wood and was unimpeded. "Rowr?“ he asked and took a faltering step, and then another before he was confidently on the bridge and standing tall. ”Rowf!" and then lifted a leg and watered the nearest post while Alexei slapped himself in the forehead.

“Yes, well go ahead and do that I suppose, better here than in my sanctum.” When Donner finished and briskly wiped his feet behind him he barked again indicating he was ready. "Right…well on we go. Maybe we’ll say hi to Fiona."



 Jonathan.Link » Thu May 02, 2013 7:42 pm
cunningrat1 wrote:"Of course I am here for myself. And for you. And for Ra’am. And for any other Jew who might be living in the area who has no rabbi to tend to his needs. If there was a rabbi easily available, you wouldn’t have had to import me, neh? The Torah tells us to love our neighbor as ourselves. Serving you, and Ra’am, and other Jews — serving my community — is my place in the world, my expression oftikkun olam. It is through service to others that I find my fulfillment.

As to your earlier comment, about answering when G-d speaks… mmm. Hold on a moment.“ Pinchas stops, stepping to the side of the hallway, and crouches down on one knee, digging through his travel pack. He extracts a water-skin, handing it to Abigail, and a simple metal cup. ”I find myself thirsty from the trip. Could you pour me a drink of water, please?"

He holds the cup out to Abigail with a smile. Only problem is, he’s holding the cup upside down.

Abigail smiles, "I’d be happy to.“ Abigail takes water skin and pours the water out, apparently on to the ground, but as she does so, she speaks a few words in Latin. Base 1: Control Liquid in a gentle way. R:Voice +2, D:Conc +1 T:Ind for a level of 4. She has Re 5 +Aq 0 + Sta 1 + Aura 10=16, so success on anything except a botch.
She smiles winsomely at Pinchas as the water is held in his cup being held upside down.



Peregrine_Bjornaer » Thu May 02, 2013 7:59 pm
cunningrat1 wrote:
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:Fiona rolls her eyes. ”Trust me, Alexei is not swayed by a pretty face and nice pair of tits."

“Yes he is,” contradicts Stultus. "He may not admit to it, but he is. Besides, he’s swallowed the whole knightly chivalry thing — the Chretien de Troyes malarkey — hook, line, and sinker. At some deep level, beneath the surface, to him women are something to be cherished and protected, no matter what the woman herself wishes."

Fiona looks thoughtful at this insight into Alexei’s personality. So that’s what’s holding him back, she thinks. He wants a woman he thinks he has to protect. After a minute, she smiles. "I suppose I’ll have to be content with teasing him until he comes to his senses."
cunningrat1 wrote:
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:Fiona purses her lips thoughtfully. "Perhaps if she heard it from someone who…weren’t so closely associated with her… former domina?"

“Yeah, that would work. Problem is, there isn’t such a person. No one in this covenant knows Cumhachd at all, no one except Marcus possesses the requisite understanding of the Tytalus mindset, and Marcus is too smart to interfere in what is essentially a private Tytalus matter. And I can’t explain what Cumhachd is doing in the necessary level of detail without betraying confidences.” Stultus stares glumly into his cup.

“She and I do have a bit of a rapport, born of us both being Scots. If it won’t betray any confidences, maybe you can coach me on how to try to nudge her in the right direction.” Fiona gestures to the cup with the bottle.



Peregrine_Bjornaer » Thu May 02, 2013 8:21 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:((By this point Fiona has received her gift, as well. In the morning, when she came outside of her cottage in the morning there was a huge stack of peat, and a barrel full of barley. And a small vial of water with letters in Gaelic Kilbride.))
The note with it said:
Fiona,

I hope you enjoy this. I can help you transport water here, with that Arcane Connection, but I didn’t have a place to story it. Feel free to contact me at your convenience.

Cumhachd Tytali

Once Fiona realizes what Cumhachd has gifted her with, she gasps, sighs, and feels a little wobbly-kneed for a minute. She then takes a few minutes to decide where to store the peat and barley so that it doesn’t freeze during the winter, then takes off for Tribunal City with a girlish grin on her face. If she passes any of the workers en route, she will ask them to send a couple of men to her cottage after lunch.

Once she gets to where Cumhachd has set up shop, she knocks politely on the door.



 Jonathan.Link » Thu May 02, 2013 8:28 pm
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:Once Fiona realizes what Cumhachd has gifted her with, she gasps, sighs, and feels a little wobbly-kneed for a minute. She then takes a few minutes to decide where to store the peat and barley so that it doesn’t freeze during the winter, then takes off for Tribunal City with a girlish grin on her face. If she passes any of the workers en route, she will ask them to send a couple of men to her cottage after lunch.

Once she gets to where Cumhachd has set up shop, she knocks politely on the door.

The door to Cumhachd’s villa is opened by Loys. He calls out, "It’s the maga Fiona, Cumhachd"
“Bring her in Loys. We must show courtesy to our hosts.” Loys escorts Fiona into the villa, and Fiona recognizes her as the maga who led the ritual at Founder’s Fane during Grand Tribunal.
“Welcome, Fiona. Have a seat.”



Peregrine_Bjornaer » Thu May 02, 2013 8:41 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:The door to Cumhachd’s villa is opened by Loys. He calls out, "It’s the maga Fiona, Cumhachd"
“Bring her in Loys. We must show courtesy to our hosts.” Loys escorts Fiona into the villa, and Fiona recognizes her as the maga who led the ritual at Founder’s Fane during Grand Tribunal.
“Welcome, Fiona. Have a seat.”

Fiona is somewhat surprised to see Loys here; it’s the first time she can remember seeing him when he wasn’t either with Tranquillina or running errands for her. Perhaps he’s here at her requestshe thinks. She glances at Loys out of the corner of her eye as he escorts her back to Cumhachd, and can definitely tell what Tranquillina sees in the lad, with a hint of a smile of appreciation.

She shows no sign of recognition when she sees Cumhachd.

“Thank you, sodalis,” Fiona says as she gingerly sits down. "I simply came to try to express my gratitude for your gift. It was not only most unexpected, but exceedingly generous and incredibly thoughtful. Thank you very much."



 cunningrat1 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:42 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:Abigail smiles, "I’d be happy to." Abigail takes water skin and pours the water out, apparently on to the ground, but as she does so, she speaks a few words in Latin. Base 1: Control Liquid in a gentle way. R:Voice +2, D:Conc +1 T:Ind for a level of 4. She has Re 5 +Aq 0 + Sta 1 + Aura 10=16, so success on anything except a botch.
She smiles winsomely at Pinchas.

Pinchas smiles back with genuine fondness, reversing his wrist so that the cup is the right way up. "Just so. Thank you.“ He takes a sip, and shoulders his pack again. ”As I was saying… G-d speaks to everyone. All the time. His love is poured out like water upon the earth. Only problem is, most of the time His voice is a gentle whisper, no louder than the sound of rain. 

You saw yourself how difficult it is to pour water into an inverted cup.“ (Abigail did lose a fatigue level, after all… unless that was a Formulaic ReAq spell called ‘Hoist Annoying Rabbi With Own Petard’? No? Didn’t think so.) ”If your cup is inverted — if your soul is closed to G-d’s words — you do not hear the whisper. Not unless He chooses, for His purposes, to yell."

“That’s one of the purposes of halakha, Abigail. That is how we set our cups the right way up. That is how we listen for His whispers. That is why Azura’s practices, though joyless, have some merit — she is opening her soul to G-d’s whisper, even though her inner turmoil drowns it out.” His voice is still gentle and smooth, but there’s a core of unbending steel within it. "And that is why I will teach you. And that is why, while I am here, you will observe halakha —so that before you say ‘I have not heard His call’, you can say with perfect honesty ‘I have listened’."

“I cannot prevent you from turning your back on our heritage, Avigail, if that is what you choose. That is why Hashem gave us free will. But before you do so, you will understand — not with a child’s limited comprehension, not with a teenager’s rebelliousness, but with an adult’s mature consideration — you will understand exactly what it is you are turning your back on, and why.”



cunningrat1 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:58 pm
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:“She and I do have a bit of a rapport, born of us both being Scots. If it won’t betray any confidences, maybe you can coach me on how to try to nudge her in the right direction.” Fiona gestures to the cup with the bottle.

“Tell her… um. Um. You could say… no, that wouldn’t work…” Stultus is obviously struggling to think through the haze of alcohol: it takes very little to get him drunk. "Try … try to help her see that Eskil is the key to the whole thing. That Eskil is a scared little brat who’s been bullied so much that she turned into a bully herself so no one else could hurt her, and that whenever Cumhachd shows up, the sight of her throws Tranquillina right back into that dark place, and she doesn’t have to go back there, she really doesn’t."



Jonathan.Link » Thu May 02, 2013 9:11 pm
cunningrat1 wrote:Pinchas smiles back with genuine fondness, reversing his wrist so that the cup is the right way up. "Just so. Thank you.“ He takes a sip, and shoulders his pack again. ”As I was saying… G-d speaks to everyone. All the time. His love is poured out like water upon the earth. Only problem is, most of the time His voice is a gentle whisper, no louder than the sound of rain. 

You saw yourself how difficult it is to pour water into an inverted cup.“ (Abigail did lose a fatigue level, after all… unless that was a Formulaic ReAq spell called ‘Hoist Annoying Rabbi With Own Petard’? No? Didn’t think so.) ”If your cup is inverted — if your soul is closed to G-d’s words — you do not hear the whisper. Not unless He chooses, for His purposes, to yell."

“Yes, it is difficult for me, but it is not impossible. And it isn’t impossible for G-d’s voice to make it into my closed soul.”
cunningrat1 wrote:“That’s one of the purposes of halakha, Abigail. That is how we set our cups the right way up. That is how we listen for His whispers. That is why Azura’s practices, though joyless, have some merit — she is opening her soul to G-d’s whisper, even though her inner turmoil drowns it out.” His voice is still gentle and smooth, but there’s a core of unbending steel within it. "And that is why I will teach you. And that is why, while I am here, you will observe halakha —so that before you say ‘I have not heard His call’, you can say with perfect honesty ‘I have listened’."

“You presume much. I will not. You cannot force me to do so. I will give up my privileges I enjoy and seek the refuge of Korvin’s sanctum, full time. Enter a magus’s sanctum uninvited to enforce your will, not G-d’s will upon me.” 
cunningrat1 wrote:“I cannot prevent you from turning your back on our heritage, Avigail, if that is what you choose. That is why Hashem gave us free will. But before you do so, you will understand — not with a child’s limited comprehension, not with a teenager’s rebelliousness, but with an adult’s mature consideration — you will understand exactly what it is you are turning your back on, and why.”

I am a woman of 20 and more years. I have given it an adult’s consideration. I have observed Azura, and she lives a lie. She and Etienne carrying on as they do. She does her duty to her House and engages in sexual congress as many as she might to get pregnant and satisfy the demands of the House. And she observes the law just enough to assuage her guilt. The difference is I don’t have any guilt, I have made a choice. And so to, you must make a choice. Try and haul me back to my father, or serve as an example, as a Rabbi should, and not as an enforcer. If I need you, I will call upon you. But do not try and force me to follow the halakha. I listened and followed for 16 years, as a child, and as a woman, and now I am an apprentice to a magus of the Order of Hermes, House Mercere. You are here because the fight with my father wasn’t worth it. If I must I will write to him and tell him what I have told you. I have no fear of the truth, I just don’t push it into his face."



cunningrat1 » Thu May 02, 2013 9:28 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:I am a woman of 20 and more years. I have given it an adult’s consideration. I have observed Azura, and she lives a lie. She and Etienne carrying on as they do. She does her duty to her House and engages in sexual congress as many as she might to get pregnant and satisfy the demands of the House. And she observes the law just enough to assuage her guilt. The difference is I don’t have any guilt, I have made a choice. And so to, you must make a choice. Try and haul me back to my father, or serve as an example, as a Rabbi should, and not as an enforcer. If I need you, I will call upon you. But do not try and force me to follow the halakha. I listened and followed for 16 years, as a child, and as a woman, and now I am an apprentice to a magus of the Order of Hermes, House Mercere. You are here because the fight with my father wasn’t worth it. If I must I will write to him and tell him what I have told you. I have no fear of the truth, I just don’t push it into his face."

Pinhas spocks an eyebrow. She’s just threatened to hide within her master’s sanctum, and then threatened to tell her daddy on me. What adult, reasoned negotiation tactic will she try next — holding her breath till she turns blue?

“Clarify something for me, please. Azura observes the law just enough to assuage her guilt over… having sexual congress? Is that what you’re saying?”



Jonathan.Link » Thu May 02, 2013 9:28 pm
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:Fiona is somewhat surprised to see Loys here; it’s the first time she can remember seeing him when he wasn’t either with Tranquillina or running errands for her. Perhaps he’s here at her request she thinks. She glances at Loys out of the corner of her eye as he escorts her back to Cumhachd, and can definitely tell what Tranquillina sees in the lad, with a hint of a smile of appreciation.

She shows no sign of recognition when she sees Cumhachd.

“Thank you, sodalis,” Fiona says as she gingerly sits down. "I simply came to try to express my gratitude for your gift. It was not only most unexpected, but exceedingly generous and incredibly thoughtful. Thank you very much."

“I am most generous. Sometimes conflict can develop out of generosity. For example, I gave Eskil a very powerful Arcane Connection to myself as her gift from me, for extending me Hermetic courtesy. My copy of The Analects of Tytalus, it’s tradition in my House that each apprentice copies it for themselves from their master’s copy. Eskil never had the chance to do so.” She smiles warmly at Fiona. "Are we going to dance around, or are we going to be direct. My gift gave you the excuse to come see me, and so now, you can find out all about Eskil’s ‘evil’ mater.“ She smiles at describing as herself evil. ”Of course, having been invited into one of my cabals, you know something of what I’m about. If I were evil, I would never have been involved in that particular ritual1.

1 Realize we haven’t done it, but it’s more perfunctory than anything. It just needs to be performed, it’s not particularly mystical to Fiona’s mind, and it may only be done out of a sense of superstition, than actual utility.



 Jonathan.Link » Thu May 02, 2013 9:34 pm
cunningrat1 wrote:Pinhas spocks an eyebrow. She’s just threatened to hide within her master’s sanctum, and then threatened to tell her daddy on me. What adult, reasoned negotiation tactic will she try next — holding her breath till she turns blue?

“Clarify something for me, please. Azura observes the law just enough to assuage her guilt over… having sexual congress? Is that what you’re saying?”

“You’d have to ask Azura. I have observed her for years, and she takes no joy or sense of love in what she does. At least my sister, father and mother do. I choose to walk a different path. I will not follow the joyless path of Azura.”
((Perhaps I have a modern understanding, but Rabbi’s don’t typically try and force the unwilling to be observant. So, he has little choice except to be an example, or take her back to Phoenix and try her for her violation of the Law. Which would shame Ra’am. That’s where I’m coming from.))



 cunningrat1 » Thu May 02, 2013 9:55 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:((Perhaps I have a modern understanding, but Rabbi’s don’t typically try and force the unwilling to be observant. So, he has little choice except to be an example, or take her back to Phoenix and try her for her violation of the Law. Which would shame Ra’am. That’s where I’m coming from.))

(( The second is flat out not an option, not only because it would shame Ra’am, but because it would shame Abigail. Pinchas knows very well that he cannot force her to do anything, you are correct. ))



 cunningrat1 » Thu May 02, 2013 9:57 pm
(( I thought for some reason she was a great deal younger — like, 14. That’s what a lot of the conversation was based on.))


Jonathan.Link » Thu May 02, 2013 10:05 pm
cunningrat1 wrote:
Jonathan.Link wrote:((Perhaps I have a modern understanding, but Rabbi’s don’t typically try and force the unwilling to be observant. So, he has little choice except to be an example, or take her back to Phoenix and try her for her violation of the Law. Which would shame Ra’am. That’s where I’m coming from.))

(( The second is flat out not an option, not only because it would shame Ra’am, but because it would shame Abigail. Pinchas knows very well that he cannot force her to do anything, you are correct. ))

Which is kind of what she’s counting on… She is the baby who got away with everything. And she continues to get away with quite abut. But she also gives back…
cunningrat1 wrote:(( I thought for some reason she was a great deal younger — like, 14. That’s what a lot of the conversation was based on.))

No, she was 16 when apprenticed to Korving which was in 1222? So, she is in her 20’s. Her decision to have a baby with Praxiteles was calculated for advantage with her House and also her womanly desires. And while it probably happened way back when I wouldn’t have put the two together if Abogail were less than 18, for some obvious modern issues.



cunningrat1 » Thu May 02, 2013 10:28 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:
cunningrat1 wrote:
“Clarify something for me, please. Azura observes the law just enough to assuage her guilt over… having sexual congress? Is that what you’re saying?”

“You’d have to ask Azura. I have observed her for years, and she takes no joy or sense of love in what she does. At least my sister, father and mother do. I choose to walk a different path. I will not follow the joyless path of Azura.”

“But Azura is not here. You are. I am asking you what you think. You said she does so to assuage her guilt: I’d like to know what you think she has to feel guilty about.”

(( There is a reason he’s asking: he doesn’t think Abigail fully understands the implications of Azura’s choices, and by extension her own, in the matter of sex and children. He reads Abigail as defensive about it, and believes her resistance may come from the fact that she on some level feels guilty about her choices. He’d like to figure out if that’s the case, because the point is that she does not need to feel guilty, or at least not nearly as much as she might think. Like I said, the results of my research on the matter were somewhat startling.  ))



 Jonathan.Link » Thu May 02, 2013 10:34 pm
“I have guilt over other things, not sex.”. ((Yeah the hang ups about virginity and sex are primarily Christian)). I’m not prepared to discuss it with you. she then clams up and refuses to talk.


 cunningrat1 » Thu May 02, 2013 11:16 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:“I have guilt over other things, not sex.”. ((Yeah the hang ups about virginity and sex are primarily Christian)). I’m not prepared to discuss it with you. she then clams up and refuses to talk.

“Very well,” Pinchas says with perfect equanimity. "When you are prepared, I’ll be here."



 jebrick » Fri May 03, 2013 6:41 am
1229.1

Korvin arrives at Brenner’s ‘classroom’ late in the afternoon. He looks in and sees Fiona reciting a part of the Iliad to Brenner. She stumbles over a phrase and seems exasperated. That is enough Fiona Brenner says. Tomorrow we will read about Odysseus confrontation with Thersites. Korvin nods to Brenner and smiles at Fiona as she rolls her eyes. 

I’ve not seen you look this tired after a night of fun. Brenner is a hard master Korvin smiles. May I walk you back to your cottage. I have something to ask you.



Jonathan.Link » Fri May 03, 2013 10:01 am
cunningrat1 wrote:
Jonathan.Link wrote:“I have guilt over other things, not sex.”. ((Yeah the hang ups about virginity and sex are primarily Christian)). I’m not prepared to discuss it with you. she then clams up and refuses to talk.

“Very well,” Pinchas says with perfect equanimity. "When you are prepared, I’ll be here."

((This is probably a great place for Korvin to jump in. Be surprised that Abigail is back, and brought a rabbi with her, or something. ))



 qcipher » Fri May 03, 2013 11:36 am
1228.3 Autumn

A cloud of dust and falling leaves along with a great loud woofing heralds Donner’s entrance into the grounds of Mons Electi. He joyfully bounds from tower to hut, guard post to home, often sticking as much of his head or face into whatever door or window he can fit it in and huffing and puffing his wet nose for several second while Alexei follows and helplessly scolds and tries commanding the dog.

“Heel Donner! Heel! No don’t stick your head in the windows and doors! Bad dog! Bad dog! Donner!” he races after the giant dog and grabs onto its ear trying to bring him under control but the dog just thinks it’s a game and flings him off. Suddenly he lowers his head and sniffs around and makes an excited bark and tears down the trail towards a cottage owned by a certain giant blooded maga.

Outside of Fiona’s cottage a monstrous barking noise can be heard approaching as well as the splintering a of a wooden fence before some scratching is at the door. There’s a brief poof of air as Alexei reappears.

“Donner! Blast you, calm down!”

((Perfectly fine if anyone else gets involved, he’s making enough of a racket))



 jebrick » Fri May 03, 2013 12:08 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:
cunningrat1 wrote:
Jonathan.Link wrote:“I have guilt over other things, not sex.”. ((Yeah the hang ups about virginity and sex are primarily Christian)). I’m not prepared to discuss it with you. she then clams up and refuses to talk.

“Very well,” Pinchas says with perfect equanimity. "When you are prepared, I’ll be here."

((This is probably a great place for Korvin to jump in. Be surprised that Abigail is back, and brought a rabbi with her, or something. ))

Abagail finds Korvin in his lab pouring over notes written by someone else. He looks up at her knock outside the sanctum marker. His eyes widen for a moment at her appearance but then recover to examine the man with her. Abagail. Korvin stands and straightens his robes. i did not expect you back for a while longer. Is there anything wrong? How is the baby? Korvin has concern in his voice.



 Jonathan.Link » Fri May 03, 2013 12:23 pm
“Fine, fine. Well taken care of. I told you I’d come back as quickly as I could, apparently you didn’t believe me.” She smiles at Korvin, but then her face grows serious, "My father has sent a rabbi back with me, wishing to enforce his right under the fosterage contract. I, personally, don’t wish this, and so I am telling you about it now. We need to find a comfortable spot for him.“ It looks like she has more to say, but she quickly follows, ”He’s just outside waiting to be introduced."
Assuming Korvin assents, Abigail introduces Korvin to Pinhas. Pinhas will note that she seems meeker in Korvin’s presence.


 jebrick » Fri May 03, 2013 12:37 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:“Fine, fine. Well taken care of. I told you I’d come back as quickly as I could, apparently you didn’t believe me.” She smiles at Korvin, but then her face grows serious, "My father has sent a rabbi back with me, wishing to enforce his right under the fosterage contract. I, personally, don’t wish this, and so I am telling you about it now. We need to find a comfortable spot for him.“ It looks like she has more to say, but she quickly follows, ”He’s just outside waiting to be introduced."
Assuming Korvin assents, Abigail introduces Korvin to Pinhas. Pinhas will note that she seems meeker in Korvin’s presence.

Korvin nods his permission to enter but continues with the conversation with Abagail for the moment.
As quickly as you could seems to be quicker than I thought. Korvin laughs at this. It is good you are back. Well. Boy or girl?

To Pinhus-
Korvin nods at the introduction. Is is a pleasure to meet you. We will find a place for you. Let me know if you have any restrictions as to where you could stay. Korvin pauses as he has thought of something else. I will notify Mordecai* that we will need more kosher food. How should you be addressed? 

Abagail came with a cook/butcher for kosher food.



 cunningrat1 » Fri May 03, 2013 3:10 pm
jebrick wrote:
To Pinhus-
Korvin nods at the introduction. Is is a pleasure to meet you. We will find a place for you. Let me know if you have any restrictions as to where you could stay. Korvin pauses as he has thought of something else. I will notify Mordecai
that we will need more kosher food. How should you be addressed? 

*Abagail came with a cook/butcher for kosher food.

Pinchas’ Latin is accented and somewhat rough, but serviceable. "Pinchas is fine. Rabbi or Rav if you wish to be formal. I don’t require much in the way of accommodation — a bed, a desk, and decent light for reading is all. Although… " Pinchas looks consideringly at Abigail, thinks for a moment, then shakes his head. “Never mind, we can build an eruv if it comes to that.”

“Mordecai is the cook for kashrut food? Yes, I will definitely need to speak to him. Can probably make his jobs lot easier, I happen to be a trained shochet. Are there other Jews in the covenant, or in the nearby area?”



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Fri May 03, 2013 7:13 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:“I am most generous. Sometimes conflict can develop out of generosity. For example, I gave Eskil a very powerful Arcane Connection to myself as her gift from me, for extending me Hermetic courtesy. My copy of The Analects of Tytalus, it’s tradition in my House that each apprentice copies it for themselves from their master’s copy. Eskil never had the chance to do so.” She smiles warmly at Fiona.“Are we going to dance around, or are we going to be direct. My gift gave you the excuse to come see me, and so now, you can find out all about Eskil’s ‘evil’ mater.” She smiles at describing as herself evil. "Of course, having been invited into one of my cabals, you know something of what I’m about. If I were evil, I would never have been involved in that particular ritual.

Fiona smiles. "I don’t know if ‘evil’ is the word I would use to describe the way she seems to feel…but I can’t think of a better word. Although I won’t speak ill of my sodales, since I know very little about your relationship. Only that you are Stultus’s mater and were Tranquillina’s domina for a time before she was claimed by Tria. I’m hoping that she’s dramatically over-reacting to your presence.

“But your arrival has proven interesting, at least to me. I notice you’ve been focused primarily on Tranquillina since you’ve been here. And while I’m sure Stultus may appreciate not having to weather the storm, I get the feeling that Tranquillina doesn’t appreciate your attention. I wonder why that is? I’m assuming that it’s a Tytalus thing, that you’re provoking her to make her stronger. And I don’t know that she’s reacting in the way you hoped.”

“I’m also assuming that this has something to do with the coming storm?” Fiona grins. "And I also wonder when I’m going to meet my Tytalus godmother, who’s going to try to make me stronger."

Fiona fidgets a little bit to get more comfortable in the chair. "But you wanted to be direct, so here goes: Why are you here, and what does Tranquillina have to do to get you to leave her alone?"



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Fri May 03, 2013 7:33 pm
jebrick wrote:1229.1

Korvin arrives at Brenner’s ‘classroom’ late in the afternoon. He looks in and sees Fiona reciting a part of the Iliad to Brenner. She stumbles over a phrase and seems exasperated. That is enough FionaBrenner says. Tomorrow we will read about Odysseus confrontation with Thersites. Korvin nods to Brenner and smiles at Fiona as she rolls her eyes. 

I’ve not seen you look this tired after a night of fun. Brenner is a hard master Korvin smiles. May I walk you back to your cottage. I have something to ask you.

“Of course, Korvin.” Fiona smiles as she walks with him him, waiting until they get out of earshot of the professor before she softly says, "Perhaps we should put your theory to the test. Have a long, hard night of fun and see how tired I look."

She looks down gives him a bawdy wink, but waits until they get back to her dining room and offers him a drink. "What would you like to ask me?" she says with a hint of a playful smile.



 jebrick » Fri May 03, 2013 8:50 pm
cunningrat1 wrote:
jebrick wrote:
To Pinhus-
Korvin nods at the introduction. Is is a pleasure to meet you. We will find a place for you. Let me know if you have any restrictions as to where you could stay. Korvin pauses as he has thought of something else. I will notify Mordecai* that we will need more kosher food. How should you be addressed? 

*Abagail came with a cook/butcher for kosher food.

Pinchas’ Latin is accented and somewhat rough, but serviceable. "Pinchas is fine. Rabbi or Rav if you wish to be formal. I don’t require much in the way of accommodation — a bed, a desk, and decent light for reading is all. Although… " Pinchas looks consideringly at Abigail, thinks for a moment, then shakes his head. “Never mind, we can build an eruv if it comes to that.”

“Mordecai is the cook for kashrut food? Yes, I will definitely need to speak to him. Can probably make his jobs lot easier, I happen to be a trained shochet. Are there other Jews in the covenant, or in the nearby area?”

Korvin has a look like it had never occurred to him that there might be other Jews living at Mons Electi. Ahh, No. He came with Abagail from Phoenix as part of the apprentice agreement. A nice man. Quite a butcher I hear tell. Korvin gestures to the door. Lets walk to Henri’s office and see what we have available. Many rooms are inside but there are cottages outside if you prefer.



jebrick » Fri May 03, 2013 9:01 pm
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:“Of course, Korvin.” Fiona smiles as she walks with him him, waiting until they get out of earshot of the professor before she softly says, "Perhaps we should put your theory to the test. Have a long, hard night of fun and see how tired I look."

She looks down gives him a bawdy wink, but waits until they get back to her dining room and offers him a drink. "What would you like to ask me?" she says with a hint of a playful smile.

I am finished with my work for the day…He smiles. But business before a long night of pleasure. I am here for my apprentice, Abagail. She read In Flux Veritas and was quite taken with it. We had a discussion about what she had learned and what she thought of the work. Here theories on the Art when beyond what I could answer. Korvin is silent for a bit as he looks at his drink. I really think she could be good at Muto and I do not want to hold her back. She gets a gleam in her eye when she discusses it. Korvin takes a small sip of his drink. I would like to propose that we exchange apprentices for an upcoming season. I will teach Sheelagh the art of Creo if you will teach Abagail the art of Muto.



 Jonathan.Link » Fri May 03, 2013 9:03 pm
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:Fiona smiles. "I don’t know if ‘evil’ is the word I would use to describe the way she seems to feel…but I can’t think of a better word. Although I won’t speak ill of my sodales, since I know very little about your relationship. Only that you are Stultus’s mater and were Tranquillina’s domina for a time before she was claimed by Tria. I’m hoping that she’s dramatically over-reacting to your presence.

“But your arrival has proven interesting, at least to me. I notice you’ve been focused primarily on Tranquillina since you’ve been here. And while I’m sure Stultus may appreciate not having to weather the storm, I get the feeling that Tranquillina doesn’t appreciate your attention. I wonder why that is? I’m assuming that it’s a Tytalus thing, that you’re provoking her to make her stronger. And I don’t know that she’s reacting in the way you hoped.”

“Stultus knows not to interfere with this, because it would make me cross and it would not serve his purposes to get in my way on this particular matter. My relationship with Stultus is a formalized agreement that we will always be there to challenge the other. Now, he could certainly interfere with what I’m doing with Eskil, but such conflict would make things worse for him, not necessarily challenge me. I think he recognizes this.”
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:“I’m also assuming that this has something to do with the coming storm?” Fiona grins. "And I also wonder when I’m going to meet my Tytalus godmother, who’s going to try to make me stronger."

“If you’d like me to challenge you, that can be arranged.” Her smile is warm and genuine, but also a bit cold and calculating at the same time.
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:Fiona fidgets a little bit to get more comfortable in the chair. "But you wanted to be direct, so here goes: Why are you here, and what does Tranquillina have to do to get you to leave her alone?"

“Dear child, Eskil needs to leave herself alone. She has created a phantasm of me which haunts her far worse than anything I could actually do. I’m sure she’s explained so much to you, but it’s a product of an elaborate fantasy. Has she told you that she has an Arcane Connection to me, that she’s fixing? And in case you think it’s my gift to her, let me disabuse you of that. It is something she thinks she gained by outsmarting me, by trying to play a game with me. Whenever she feels she needs to play a game with me, I play along, until I find a point where I can demonstrate the game is unnecessary and beat her at it. She thinks that Tria claimed her, and I suppose she might think that, but I allowed Tria to be claimed. Do you honestly think a Tytalus master would allow an apprentice to have enough contact with another magus?”



 cunningrat1 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:18 pm
jebrick wrote:Korvin has a look like it had never occurred to him that there might be other Jews living at Mons Electi. Ahh, No. He came with Abagail from Phoenix as part of the apprentice agreement. A nice man. Quite a butcher I hear tell. Korvin gestures to the door. Lets walk to Henri’s office and see what we have available. Many rooms are inside but there are cottages outside if you prefer.

Pinchas nods. "Certainly. Oh… one more thing." He seems like he’s searching for words.

“When I first came to Phoenix, I noticed that some… mmm. Some dedications, some prayers…. did not have as much effect as I would expect. When I mentioned that to Ra’am, he explained that it was something about the covenant, and was able to take care of it by giving me an object. He called it a shield… no, an aegis token. If the token he gave me is specific to Phoenix, and does not work at Mons Electi, would I be able to obtain something similar from you?”



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Fri May 03, 2013 9:44 pm
jebrick wrote:I am finished with my work for the day…He smiles. But business before a long night of pleasure. I am here for my apprentice, Abagail. She read In Flux Veritas and was quite taken with it. We had a discussion about what she had learned and what she thought of the work. Here theories on the Art when beyond what I could answer. Korvin is silent for a bit as he looks at his drink. I really think she could be good at Muto and I do not want to hold her back. She gets a gleam in her eye when she discusses it. Korvin takes a small sip of his drink. I would like to propose that we exchange apprentices for an upcoming season. I will teach Sheelagh the art of Creo if you will teach Abagail the art of Muto.

Fiona nods. "I remember reading In Flux Veritas when I was younger. Perhaps I should re-read it and write a commentary, or gloss the copy we have, to contribute to our covenant’s fortune.

“But yes, I would love to teach Abigail what I can of Muto.”" She purses her lips thoughfully. "It won’t be right away, though. I’ve already got the rest of the year laid out. I can teach her, starting next March?"



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Fri May 03, 2013 9:50 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:“I’m also assuming that this has something to do with the coming storm?” Fiona grins. "And I also wonder when I’m going to meet my Tytalus godmother, who’s going to try to make me stronger."

“If you’d like me to challenge you, that can be arranged.” Her smile is warm and genuine, but also a bit cold and calculating at the same time.

((How do you say, “No, thanks, you would totally own my ass” in Latin?  ))
Jonathan.Link wrote:“Dear child, Eskil needs to leave herself alone. She has created a phantasm of me which haunts her far worse than anything I could actually do. I’m sure she’s explained so much to you, but it’s a product of an elaborate fantasy. Has she told you that she has an Arcane Connection to me, that she’s fixing? And in case you think it’s my gift to her, let me disabuse you of that. It is something she thinks she gained by outsmarting me, by trying to play a game with me. Whenever she feels she needs to play a game with me, I play along, until I find a point where I can demonstrate the game is unnecessary and beat her at it. She thinks that Tria claimed her, and I suppose she might think that, but I allowed Tria to be claimed. Do you honestly think a Tytalus master would allow an apprentice to have enough contact with another magus?”

Fiona looks thoughtful for a moment. "That would raise another question. Why would you allow Tranquillina to be claimed by Tria? I’m not sure that I see the conflict that would make her stronger, unless it’s the conflict between her Tytalus teachings and her Bonisagus?"



Jonathan.Link » Fri May 03, 2013 9:58 pm
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:Fiona looks thoughtful for a moment. "That would raise another question. Why would you allow Tranquillina to be claimed by Tria? I’m not sure that I see the conflict that would make her stronger, unless it’s the conflict between her Tytalus teachings and her Bonisagus?"

Perhaps the conflict has not made her stronger, or at least not as long as I’d hoped. This phantasm she concocted, she did during apprenticeship. I saw that it was going to give it all kinds of power over her. She blamed me, the phantasm of me, rather, for everything she believed was wrong with her, and never considered that I was the reason for the things that had gone right. The conflict is for the last 40 or more years she has blamed me for her vis allergy, when it was innate to her. And she credits Maximanius with her gifts with Corpus, when she doesn’t even stop for a moment to consider that it came from me. The conflict is that she’s been playing a game of her own making, but hasn’t yet won, and she’s only playing against herself."



 qcipher » Sat May 04, 2013 8:34 am
ROWF! ROWFROWF!

The sound of a huge beast is just outside Fiona’s door, at the bottom of the door a large shadow can be seen along with the sound of claws scratching at the wood. "Donner! Be still! Fiona! Are you in? I have someone I’d like you to meet!"



 jebrick » Sat May 04, 2013 1:36 pm
cunningrat1 wrote:
jebrick wrote:Korvin has a look like it had never occurred to him that there might be other Jews living at Mons Electi. Ahh, No. He came with Abagail from Phoenix as part of the apprentice agreement. A nice man. Quite a butcher I hear tell. Korvin gestures to the door. Lets walk to Henri’s office and see what we have available. Many rooms are inside but there are cottages outside if you prefer.

Pinchas nods. "Certainly. Oh… one more thing." He seems like he’s searching for words.

“When I first came to Phoenix, I noticed that some… mmm. Some dedications, some prayers…. did not have as much effect as I would expect. When I mentioned that to Ra’am, he explained that it was something about the covenant, and was able to take care of it by giving me an object. He called it a shield… no, an aegis token. If the token he gave me is specific to Phoenix, and does not work at Mons Electi, would I be able to obtain something similar from you?”

Of course. We can stop by my office and get one for you. Do you have any problem in participating in the Aegis ritual in the winter?



 jebrick » Sat May 04, 2013 1:41 pm
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:Fiona nods. "I remember reading In Flux Veritas when I was younger. Perhaps I should re-read it and write a commentary, or gloss the copy we have, to contribute to our covenant’s fortune.

“But yes, I would love to teach Abigail what I can of Muto.”" She purses her lips thoughfully. "It won’t be right away, though. I’ve already got the rest of the year laid out. I can teach her, starting next March?"

Yes. The second season of 1230 will work. Abagail and I must travel as Redcaps next season and I want her to get a better basis with the other Arts before she concentrates on Muto. And with that. i think we could work on your Greek. Korvin recites a poem in Greek:

Love the tamer
And scarlet Aphrodite
Play with you King
And the Nymphs with their black eyes.
To you that wander on mountains
I sacredly bow
Listen to my prayers
And come to me
Give me what I desire



cunningrat1 » Sat May 04, 2013 3:09 pm
jebrick wrote:Of course. We can stop by my office and get one for you. Do you have any problem in participating in the Aegis ritual in the winter?

(( I’m basing Pinchas’ answer on the fact that Aegis of the Hearth is a Mercurian holdover. ))
Pinchas frowns. "I avoided it when it was performed at Phoenix. Ra’am and myself talked about it, but could not come to a consensus about the halakhic implications. There was nothing overtlyidolatrous about it, but I judged it best to abstain on the ‘building a fence around the Torah’ principle. Will that be a problem?"



Jonathan.Link » Sat May 04, 2013 4:12 pm
((Not sure he can accept a token, which confers on him all the benefits of the ritual. It’s one of the things I’ve thought about with Ra’am. Compare it to wines. As long as the wine isn’t made for pagan purposes, wine is ok for consumption. While the ritual might be Mercurian in origin, it’s not pagan in practice, but it might appear to be pagan, with a procession of magi walking around the covenant… But if he can’t be involved in the ritual, accepting a token is probably right out, too.))


 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sat May 04, 2013 5:31 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:Perhaps the conflict has not made her stronger, or at least not as long as I’d hoped. This phantasm she concocted, she did during apprenticeship. I saw that it was going to give it all kinds of power over her. She blamed me, the phantasm of me, rather, for everything she believed was wrong with her, and never considered that I was the reason for the things that had gone right. The conflict is for the last 40 or more years she has blamed me for her vis allergy, when it was innate to her. And she credits Maximanius with her gifts with Corpus, when she doesn’t even stop for a moment to consider that it came from me. The conflict is that she’s been playing a game of her own making, but hasn’t yet won, and she’s only playing against herself."

“The daemons that torment us most/are those our very souls do host.” Fiona purses her lips thoughtfully. 

“So every gift she has, be it blessing or curse, is in her mind someone else’s doing. Her vis allergy, a part of her magical nature? And her talent for Corpus…is that from you, or is that also a part of her magical nature? Or both, in that it is part of her nature that you preserved when you opened her Arts? And since she’s fighting herself, she will never win.. So…the only solution is to stop playing the game?”



Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sat May 04, 2013 5:42 pm
qcipher wrote:ROWF! ROWFROWF!

The sound of a huge beast is just outside Fiona’s door, at the bottom of the door a large shadow can be seen along with the sound of claws scratching at the wood. "Donner! Be still! Fiona! Are you in? I have someone I’d like you to meet!"

Fiona pauses in her lecture on Muto that she’s delivering Sheelagh, trying to figure out what that clamor is. Then she hears Alexei at the laboratory door, and grows even more confused. She looks at Sheelagh, then sighs. "We will take a brief break. Be ready in a quarter hour, please."

She then opens the laboratory door. "Alexei! What a pleas…what is that?"

Paul, who had been napping on one of the laboratory tables, opens one eye and then instinctively turns and arches his back when he sees Donner, but very quickly regains his composure and sits down to wash his paw.



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sat May 04, 2013 5:46 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:((Not sure he can accept a token, which confers on him all the benefits of the ritual. It’s one of the things I’ve thought about with Ra’am. Compare it to wines. As long as the wine isn’t made for pagan purposes, wine is ok for consumption. While the ritual might be Mercurian in origin, it’s not pagan in practice, but it might appear to be pagan, with a procession of magi walking around the covenant… But if he can’t be involved in the ritual, accepting a token is probably right out, too.))

((fwiw, this came up in Canaries with Rabbi Jonathan, and I think his interpretation was that although he could not participate in the ritual, he could benefit from the protection of the Aegis since the spell wasn’t actually being cast on him.))



 Jonathan.Link » Sat May 04, 2013 5:46 pm
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:“So every gift she has, be it blessing or curse, is in her mind someone else’s doing. Her vis allergy, a part of her magical nature? And her talent for Corpus…is that from you, or is that also a part of her magical nature? Or both, in that it is part of her nature that you preserved when you opened her Arts? And since she’s fighting herself, she will never win.. So…the only solution is to stop playing the game?”

Cumhachd shakes her head slightly, "Not quite, but I’m sure she ascribes the worst of herself to me, and doesn’t accept that I could have given her anything. Her skill from Corpus came from me, it manifested at the same time as her vis allergy. She blames me for the allergy, but she won’t acknowledge that I am responsible for her gifts with Corpus. She wasn’t placed with Maximanius because she needed to be better with Corpus, she was placed with him because she was good with Corpus. She has the entire narative of her apprentice ship wrong. And yes, she needs to stop playing the games. She’s playing at the wrong thing, at best."



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sat May 04, 2013 5:54 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:Cumhachd shakes her head slightly, "Not quite, but I’m sure she ascribes the worst of herself to me, and doesn’t accept that I could have given her anything. Her skill from Corpus came from me, it manifested at the same time as her vis allergy. She blames me for the allergy, but she won’t acknowledge that I am responsible for her gifts with Corpus. She wasn’t placed with Maximanius because she needed to be better with Corpus, she was placed with him because she was good with Corpus. She has the entire narative of her apprentice ship wrong. And yes, she needs to stop playing the games. She’s playing at the wrong thing, at best."

“Hmm…but how can she stop playing a game she doesn’t know she’s playing? You apparently need someone to hold the mirror before her…and she won’t let you get within a league of her with a mirror. Or if she does, she’ll assume that it’s a painting.”



Jonathan.Link » Sat May 04, 2013 6:01 pm
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:“Hmm…but how can she stop playing a game she doesn’t know she’s playing? You apparently need someone to hold the mirror before her…and she won’t let you get within a league of her with a mirror. Or if she does, she’ll assume that it’s a painting.”

Are you volunteering? Cumhachd chuckles, There is another way. Shock and awe. Expose the lie that she’s made the narrative of her life. Tria didn’t steal her from me, Fiona. It was a convenient fiction for the two of us. It set the precedent that allowed her to claim apprentices and pair them with better masters, something never done by a Trianomae before."



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sat May 04, 2013 6:12 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:Are you volunteering? Cumhachd chuckles, There is another way. Shock and awe. Expose the lie that she’s made the narrative of her life. Tria didn’t steal her from me, Fiona. It was a convenient fiction for the two of us. It set the precedent that allowed her to claim apprentices and pair them with better masters, something never done by a Trianomae before."

“So…what do you propose?” Fiona is carefully weighing everything that Cumhachd is telling her, judging it against what she knows of the two magae.



Jonathan.Link » Sat May 04, 2013 6:25 pm
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:“So…what do you propose?” Fiona is carefully weighing everything that Cumhachd is telling her, judging it against what she knows of the two magae.

:Do what you can. I’m not proposing anything, I’m intending to force her to confront her past. She may not wish to do so, she might try and resist. She will need someone to support her."



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sat May 04, 2013 6:43 pm
“I understand,” Fiona says. "Confronting the past is never easy. But I care about her, and I don’t want to see her hurt unnecessarily. And I’ll do my best to be there for her if she wants me to."

She moves as if to rise. "Unless there’s anything else, I’d best be on my way. I have to find a place for your gracious presents before the cold gets to them."



 Jonathan.Link » Sat May 04, 2013 6:44 pm
“I don’t do things that are unnecessary, Fiona. I’m just running out of time, and she’s lived a lie for 40 years.” Cumhachd says to Fiona.


 qcipher » Sat May 04, 2013 6:57 pm
The massive brown dog sits back when the door opens and he cocks his head curiously as he sees Fiona. After a moment of observation he huffs twice and then leans forward to sniff at the hem of her dress and snuffle about before bringing his head up to lick Fiona’s hand.

Alexei seems a bit surprised at the reaction, he half expected (and perhaps mischieviously hoped) that the beast would enthusiastically tackle her as Donner had been doing to him. “This…is Donner.” Alexei said as he patted the dog hard on his shoulder. "I intend to make him my familiar. I spent some time searching and finally went back through the regio I had gone in with that insufferable Bonisagus several years ago. I found a giant’s homestead and their bitch had a litter of pups. This was the runt. He’s taken a shine to you it seems.“ he says as Donner seems intent on trying to move his way into the cottage, but not trying overt force. ”He definitely is magic, he actually grew when we exited the regio, I’ll have to figure out what else he can do. The giant family had a young lass that doted on him.“ he said as he pats him again on the shoulder. ”He might not have lived if not her, maybe that’s what he sees in you."



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sat May 04, 2013 7:23 pm
Fiona looks at Alexei in surprise as she scratches Donner under his chin. "This is the runt?“ she says. ”I’d hate to see the pick of the litter."

She kneels and wraps her arms around the dog’s neck, ruffing his head and grinning, a smile the likes of which Alexei rarely sees on her. "If he gets any bigger, you can throw a saddle on him and ride him like a warhorse."

“He certainly seems friendly enough,” she says as she gets to her feet. "I would have thought you would have wanted something more…martial."



 cunningrat1 » Sat May 04, 2013 8:18 pm
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:
Jonathan.Link wrote:((Not sure he can accept a token, which confers on him all the benefits of the ritual. It’s one of the things I’ve thought about with Ra’am. Compare it to wines. As long as the wine isn’t made for pagan purposes, wine is ok for consumption. While the ritual might be Mercurian in origin, it’s not pagan in practice, but it might appear to be pagan, with a procession of magi walking around the covenant… But if he can’t be involved in the ritual, accepting a token is probably right out, too.))

((fwiw, this came up in Canaries with Rabbi Jonathan, and I think his interpretation was that although he could not participate in the ritual, he could benefit from the protection of the Aegis since the spell wasn’t actually being cast on him.))

(( The wine thing actually is more strict than that. If the wine wasn’t made for pagan purposes, it is OK for consumption… unless a libation was poured from it, in which case a Jew is forbidden to derive benefit from it by drinking it. (assur b’hana’ah) Some Orthodox rabbis hold that wine that has been touched by a non-Jew is thus assur b’hana’ah, because the non-Jew may have unknowingly poured out a libation. That’s the usual Judaic practice of building a fence around the law, and then building a fence around the fence, and so on, and so on, ad nauseam. That’s how you get from “thou shalt not boil a kid in its mother’s milk” to having two separate refrigerators, or not eating chicken with a milk product. Chicken + cheese is not kosher, despite the fact that no one’s ever seen a lactating chicken.

Pinchas gets a benefit from the Aegis even without having a casting token: he gains a benefit purely by standing within the area. So if we were to go by the most Orthodox interpretation, he’d have to refuse to even set foot in Phoenix or Mons Electi…which would, IMO, impede playability just a bit. 

While Pinchas believes some fences around the law are necessary, he thinks that placing too many fences misses the point. He’s not absolutely certain that the Aegis ritual is not pagan, and therefore elects not to participate in it, just in case — but he believes that is a sufficient number of ‘fences’ in this case. 

His OoH Lore is too low to figure out that the ritual actually has a protective effect, or that the casting token allows him to bypass the ritual’s effects. If he knew, he might or might not change his mind. Whether he is actually violating halakha by setting foot within the Aegis, or accepting a token, is up to JL. ))



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sat May 04, 2013 8:45 pm
The day that Fiona returns from Grand Tribunal, she has the porters take her luggage to her cottage as she goes to the Regio manor house, to the Princeps office, in hopes that she will find Korvin there. Much to her delight, she finds him there, poring over some documents and wondering why everybody wants everything all of a sudden. She knocks on the door and calls out, "Korvin, it’s Fiona. Do you have a few minutes to spare?"

Once he says that he’s free, Fiona sashays into his office, a lustful sultry look on her face that he’s seen many a time before. She turns and touches the door, casting a spontaneous Muto Herbam to cause it to expand around the frame and seal shut. ((base 3, R: Touch +1, D: Diameter +1, T: Individual, for target level of 5; CT is Sta 3 + Mu 17 + He 10 + Aura 5 – No Gestures 5 = 30 ÷ 5 = 6, for castable with no Fatigue))

“Would you like to welcome me home right quick?” she says, then kisses him hungrily, her hand deftly freeing his member and bringing him to life before she clears a spot on the desk, lifts her robes, hops on the desk, and pulls him to her eagerly. When he finishes, she sighs, a contented smile on her face.

“That should hold me until we can have a proper welcome home party. I hope you’re free tonight. Shall we meet at your chambers or mine?”



 qcipher » Sun May 05, 2013 11:57 am
Alexe is obviously pleased to see that Donner is responding well to Fiona, hopefully he will to the other magi as well. He chuckles at the idea of the saddle.

“That was one of the first things I thought too, but since he’s basically been dragging me about ever since I took possesion of him, I think riding would be a disaster. We’ll have to see what his instincts are in a fight, he was bullied a lot, but maybe now with some support he’ll show spirit. But I value loyalty, and there isn’t much more loyalty than a good hound. Plus with my new tasks, he might be able to help me track down those who are being marched.”

Donner seems oblivious to Alexei talking about his plans as he leans into Fiona and then rolls over, exposing his belly to rub.



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sun May 05, 2013 12:51 pm
Fiona kneels down again and rubs Donner vigorously, accidentally finding the kick spot for a couple of seconds, before she gets back to her feet.

“Do you know yet what he can do?” she asks as she looks at Donner and guesstimates how big he is, then mutters “Darn” in Gaelic under her breath.



 qcipher » Sun May 05, 2013 1:05 pm
Alexei’s is covering his mouth trying to hold back giggles as he watches Donner’s reaction.

“Yes, he is very fierce is he not?” he mutters. "Well, I believe he can change his size, I’m not sure if he can grow or shrink, and the giants said they used the dogs for hunting, so I imagine if trained he can track things and might be able to help bring them down. I’ll know once I spend time in the lab with him. I’ve never had a familiar before, so this is a bit new to me as well. I’ll want to add some enchantments to protect him and enhance him, much like I add to myself and grogs. Plus some magic items perhaps, I bet he’d like that."

ROWF! Donner barks as he rolls to his feet and pushes his way inside, sniffing around for something to eat.

“Donner no! Out! We do not enter without being invited! I’m sorry Fiona.” Alexei stays at the threshold of the door however.



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sun May 05, 2013 1:19 pm
“You can come in if you want, Alexei,” Fiona says, then suppresses a shriek as Donner brushes against a table, setting the apparatus on it to wobble.

“Donner! No! Here, boy!” she yells as she moves toward the door again.

She steps outside the door and casts a quick spontaneous Creo Herbam to make a thick stick the size of her arm1. She waves the stick to get the hound’s attention, then heaves it as far as she can, grinning as Donner slips on the floor momentarily before tearing off after it. She then goes and adjusts the equipment, which had been displaced ever so slightly.

1 Base 1 to create a plant product, R: Touch +1, D: Diameter +1, T: Individual, for a Spell Level of 3. Her CT is Sta 3 + Cr 6 + He 10 + Aura 5 = 24 ÷ 5 = 5.



qcipher » Sun May 05, 2013 1:29 pm
Donner runs out after the stick trailing slobber as he does so. Once outside he pounces on the stick but comes up confused.

ROWR?

He returns to trying to work at the stick but is getting frustrated at his inability to pick it up

ROWF! ROWFROWF!!

He barks at it in frustration while Alexei is laughing again. "Here Donner.“ and hands over his staff which Donner immediately begins to chew on. ”He can’t pick it up, it’s not penetrating. Anyway, I just wanted to say hello Fiona and introduce my new friend, I hope I wasn’t intruding too much. I’ll work on his manners, I promise."



Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sun May 05, 2013 1:53 pm
“That’s okay, it will only last a minute or so, just long enough to get him out of my laboratory…he’s too big to play in there, I think.

“I do know a spell that gives an animal human form until sunrise or sundown, but I think he’s too big for it to be effective on him.”

Fiona smiles at Alexei. "Thank you for bringing him to meet me. That was sweet of you.“ She grins as she looks at Donner worrying Alexei’s talisman. ”I think you might want to get him a new chew toy before he destroys the one he has now."

Once Alexei’s done, she looks down at herself and casts a spontaneous Perdo Animal on herself to destroy all traces of Donner1 before she goes in and pours Paul a double scotch in his bowl and sets it on the floor by way of apology and waits for Sheelagh to return so they can resume her lesson.

1 think it’s Base 3, “Do superficial damage to a beast (for example, remove its hair),” R: Personal, D: Momentary, T: Individual. Her CT is Sta 3 + Pe 5 + An 7 + Aura 5 = 20 ÷ 5 = 4.



 qcipher » Sun May 05, 2013 2:20 pm
“Hopefully he can’t destroy it, it’s supposed be harder than iron.” Alexei says and then an ominous creak can be heard from the staff as Donner really gets to chewing on it. "But one can’t be too careful. Alright Donner that’s enough." Alexei snaps and grabs the staff. Initially the dog won’t let it go and growls menacingly as Alexei struggles with it, but with a cocked eyebrow and a smile Alexei disappears and reappears almost 20 paces away, staff in hand. Donner looks at him quizzically and then disappears as well!

“What the..!” is all Alexei can manage before the dog reappears and tackles him to the ground…again. "So that’s how you kept up with me! Good boy! Oh, that is useful! Now don’t crush me…Donner…I can’t breathe…get off!"

After disentangling himself from the mammoth dog he finally leads him back to his lab and sanctum.



 gerg » Sun May 05, 2013 2:34 pm
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:Once Alexei’s done, she looks down at herself and casts a spontaneous Perdo Animal on herself to destroy all traces of Donner1 before she goes in and pours Paul a double scotch in his bowl and sets it on the floor by way of apology and waits for Sheelagh to return so they can resume her lesson.

((Not that it matters, but I think this would probably have to be Group rather than Individual, since you’re not trying to affect yourself.))



 jebrick » Sun May 05, 2013 4:04 pm
cunningrat1 wrote:
jebrick wrote:Of course. We can stop by my office and get one for you. Do you have any problem in participating in the Aegis ritual in the winter?

(( I’m basing Pinchas’ answer on the fact that Aegis of the Hearth is a Mercurian holdover. ))
Pinchas frowns. "I avoided it when it was performed at Phoenix. Ra’am and myself talked about it, but could not come to a consensus about the halakhic implications. There was nothing overtlyidolatrous about it, but I judged it best to abstain on the ‘building a fence around the Torah’ principle. Will that be a problem?"

No. It is just simpler than giving a token. Korvin walks for a bit. Abagail knows he is sorting through this information and grinding it like a mill grinds wheat.1 Korvin turns to Pinchas. Would it be against your religion for me to heal you with a ritual spell if you were injured or sick?

1 I’ve been trying to think of a phrase like wheels turning or gears turning to express Korvin’s thought process. i’ll try this one for now 



 jebrick » Sun May 05, 2013 4:14 pm
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:The day that Fiona returns from Grand Tribunal, she has the porters take her luggage to her cottage as she goes to the Regio manor house, to the Princeps office, in hopes that she will find Korvin there. Much to her delight, she finds him there, poring over some documents and wondering why everybody wants everything all of a sudden. She knocks on the door and calls out, "Korvin, it’s Fiona. Do you have a few minutes to spare?"

Once he says that he’s free, Fiona sashays into his office, a lustful sultry look on her face that he’s seen many a time before. She turns and touches the door, casting a spontaneous Muto Herbam to cause it to expand around the frame and seal shut. ((base 3, R: Touch +1, D: Diameter +1, T: Individual, for target level of 5; CT is Sta 3 + Mu 17 + He 10 + Aura 5 – No Gestures 5 = 30 ÷ 5 = 6, for castable with no Fatigue))

“Would you like to welcome me home right quick?” she says, then kisses him hungrily, her hand deftly freeing his member and bringing him to life before she clears a spot on the desk, lifts her robes, hops on the desk, and pulls him to her eagerly. When he finishes, she sighs, a contented smile on her face.

“That should hold me until we can have a proper welcome home party. I hope you’re free tonight. Shall we meet at your chambers or mine?”

You may come to my cottage. We can give your poor maid a rest. Korvin caresses her face. He seems to want to say something but fails and just gives her a long kiss while his other hand drifts south of her stomach.



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sun May 05, 2013 4:16 pm
gerg wrote:
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:Once Alexei’s done, she looks down at herself and casts a spontaneous Perdo Animal on herself to destroy all traces of Donner1 before she goes in and pours Paul a double scotch in his bowl and sets it on the floor by way of apology and waits for Sheelagh to return so they can resume her lesson.

((Not that it matters, but I think this would probably have to be Group rather than Individual, since you’re not trying to affect yourself.))

((That would raise it to a spell level of 5, and require a roll: CT 20 + die roll of 5 = 25, halved is 12. Still good. That was more of a “Dear God, don’t let me botch” than anything else ))



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sun May 05, 2013 5:19 pm
jebrick wrote:
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:“That should hold me until we can have a proper welcome home party. I hope you’re free tonight. Shall we meet at your chambers or mine?”

You may come to my cottage. We can give your poor maid a rest. Korvin caresses her face. He seems to want to say something but fails and just gives her a long kiss while his other hand drifts south of her stomach.

She moves against his hand, moaning softly, then whispers "Plenty of time for that, and more, later."
Fiona shows up that evening, almost immediately after sundown, with a bottle of wine in her hand, wearing a sheer white robe that he can almost see through. She smiles and enters his cottage at his invite and pours a glass of wine for each, handing him one.

“Do you want the normal me or the petite me?” she asks once the pleasantries are aside. Either way, she will take him back to his room, her robe falling by the wayside, and pulls him into bed, where she will love him more enthusiastically than he can remember in a while.

After a multi-climactic session which leaves them both gasping for breath, she curls up against him, her hand between his legs, and kisses him warmly. "You have no idea how much I needed that, dear," she says quietly, then lays there for a few minutes.

“Korvin? Can we talk? About us?” she finally says. She sounds a little nervous (which is surprising, from her), but her hand never stops caressing his manhood.

“I realized something when I was at Grand Tribunal.” She looks at him. "I realized that I missed you. I missed being with you." She looks down as she continues.

“And I decided that…well…I love what we have, but I want to…I don’t know…define it a little bit better. I realized that there are times that I need to be plowed, and there are times that I need to be plowed by you.” Her hand squeezes him gently.

“So…I was thinking if we could have something like dibs on each other. I don’t want us to be exclusive. I don’t know if I could keep you satisfied, and I still like a little variety in my diet. But…if I want you tonight, say, and you have plans with someone else, they would be changed. Either some other time, or maybe you, me, and her. Or them.” She grins. "And vice versa. If you want me, then if I had plans to be with someone, they’d have to change."

She moves against him. "What do you think?"



jebrick » Sun May 05, 2013 7:03 pm
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:Fiona shows up that evening, almost immediately after sundown, with a bottle of wine in her hand, wearing a sheer white robe that he can almost see through. She smiles and enters his cottage at his invite and pours a glass of wine for each, handing him one.

“Do you want the normal me or the petite me?” she asks once the pleasantries are aside. Either way, she will take him back to his room, her robe falling by the wayside, and pulls him into bed, where she will love him more enthusiastically than he can remember in a while.

After a multi-climactic session which leaves them both gasping for breath, she curls up against him, her hand between his legs, and kisses him warmly. "You have no idea how much I needed that, dear," she says quietly, then lays there for a few minutes.

“Korvin? Can we talk? About us?” she finally says. She sounds a little nervous (which is surprising, from her), but her hand never stops caressing his manhood.

“I realized something when I was at Grand Tribunal.” She looks at him. "I realized that I missed you. I missed being with you." She looks down as she continues.

“And I decided that…well…I love what we have, but I want to…I don’t know…define it a little bit better. I realized that there are times that I need to be plowed, and there are times that I need to be plowed by you.” Her hand squeezes him gently.

[color=blue]“So…I was thinking if we could have something like dibs on each other. I don’t want us to be exclusive. I don’t know if I could keep you satisfied, and I still like a little variety in my diet. But…if I want you tonight, say, and you have plans with someone else, they would be changed. Either some other time, or maybe you, me, and her. Or them.” She grins. "And vice versa. If you want me, then if I had plans to be with someone, they’d have to change."

She moves against him. "What do you think?"

I was thinking the same thing. Korvin moves an hand down to continue what he had started earlier. I missed you when you were gone. Celestina is traveling and I can not track all of the other Redcaps whom I know. I was not desperate to go to town but I thought about it. Having dibs on you sounds like a wonderful idea.



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sun May 05, 2013 7:13 pm
And they celebrate their understanding well into the wee hours of the morning.


 cunningrat1 » Sun May 05, 2013 7:51 pm
jebrick wrote:No. It is just simpler than giving a token. Korvin walks for a bit. Abagail knows he is sorting through this information and grinding it like a mill grinds wheat.1 Korvin turns to Pinchas. Would it be against your religion for me to heal you with a ritual spell if you were injured or sick?

“Not in the least,” responds Pinchas. "Er.. that is, unless the ritual spell was overtly idolatrous or involved… erm…“ He frowns, but his face clears almost immediately. ”No, it will be all right. If your magic involved practices that would make it impossible for you to heal me, Ra’am would not have fostered his daughter with such a man. Not a concern."
jebrick wrote:1 I’ve been trying to think of a phrase like wheels turning or gears turning to express Korvin’s thought process. i’ll try this one for now 

(( I like it.  ))



 jebrick » Mon May 06, 2013 7:41 am
cunningrat1 wrote:
jebrick wrote:No. It is just simpler than giving a token. Korvin walks for a bit. Abagail knows he is sorting through this information and grinding it like a mill grinds wheat.1 Korvin turns to Pinchas. Would it be against your religion for me to heal you with a ritual spell if you were injured or sick?

“Not in the least,” responds Pinchas. "Er.. that is, unless the ritual spell was overtly idolatrous or involved… erm…“ He frowns, but his face clears almost immediately. ”No, it will be all right. If your magic involved practices that would make it impossible for you to heal me, Ra’am would not have fostered his daughter with such a man. Not a concern."

Korvin mulls this for a short while. Since all of our ritual spells have a root in Mercurian magic, would they not all be considered idolatrous to you? I say this not to be difficult but to understand. I am often call upon to heal sick or wounded members of Mons Electi. I do not want to find myself in a position that I cast a spell to save your life but found that I have instead hurt you in a philosophical sense.



 cunningrat1 » Mon May 06, 2013 10:11 am
jebrick wrote:Korvin mulls this for a short while. Since all of our ritual spells have a root in Mercurian magic, would they not all be considered idolatrous to you? I say this not to be difficult but to understand. I am often call upon to heal sick or wounded members of Mons Electi. I do not want to find myself in a position that I cast a spell to save your life but found that I have instead hurt you in a philosophical sense.

Pinchas perches on the corner of Korvin’s desk, looking thoughtful. "It was not the Mercurian roots of the rituals that gave me pause, it was the outward trappings. This ‘Aegis’ ritual of yours involved everyone walking around in a big circle, chanting at compass points… I was not certain that it was not idolatrous. When I witnessed a magus conjure a tower out of thin air, I did not see or hear anything untoward."
“Let’s settle on this as a guideline. If you have to cast a spell to save my life, and seconds count, you may take whatever steps are necessary. You are a gentile, after all. If seconds do NOT count, then please obtain my consent before doing so, or ask Avigail what would be considered ‘kosher’ and what would not.” He smiles at the young woman. "She possesses the requisite knowledge."
(( ‘Avigail’ is the Hebrew version of Abigail’s name. ))



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Mon May 06, 2013 7:53 pm
Two days after Fiona and Tranquillina’s…“falling out,” for lack of a better word, there’s a kick at Tranquillina’s door. Moire is at the door, holding a tureen with a couple of pot-holders.

“Is Tranquillina home?” she asks whoever opens the door in Latin.



gerg » Mon May 06, 2013 8:08 pm
It takes two sets of kicks to rouse Tranquillina from her laboratory; irritated at being disturbed and at her completely stuffed-up nose, she storms into her receiving room. ((This is 4 days after Loys got his Arts kicked by Cumhachd.)) "Wheb id dat udeledd Choiniere?!“ she mutters, before remembering that she told her to ask the grogs guarding the far end of the Tribunal bridge what Cumhachd had been up to in the last day. She flings the door open and sees Moire; her manners reflexively kick in, even though she would rather be back at the Arcane Connection table. ((Com 3 + Etiquette 2 + stress die 7 = 12.)) ”Good day, Boire, how are Meaddbb add Bibiede doig?"


 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Mon May 06, 2013 8:22 pm
“They’re doing wonderfully, thank you for asking. Vivienne is almost ready to follow in her mother and grandmother’s footsteps, and Meadhbh…well, she is everywhere, and she’s figured out how to climb the stairs, so that’s even more worry for all of us. May I come in? I heard you weren’t feeling well, so I brought some soup for you. It should still be warm, even with as cold as it was on the way over, but you should be able to heat it up again easily.”

((edited to add: by the way, does Tranquillina extend her Parma over Moire, or does it slip her mind in her current state?))



 jebrick » Tue May 07, 2013 8:16 am
cunningrat1 wrote:
Pinchas perches on the corner of Korvin’s desk, looking thoughtful. "It was not the Mercurian roots of the rituals that gave me pause, it was the outward trappings. This ‘Aegis’ ritual of yours involved everyone walking around in a big circle, chanting at compass points… I was not certain that it was not idolatrous. When I witnessed a magus conjure a tower out of thin air, I did not see or hear anything untoward."
“Let’s settle on this as a guideline. If you have to cast a spell to save my life, and seconds count, you may take whatever steps are necessary. You are a gentile, after all. If seconds do NOT count, then please obtain my consent before doing so, or ask Avigail what would be considered ‘kosher’ and what would not.” He smiles at the young woman. "She possesses the requisite knowledge."
(( ‘Avigail’ is the Hebrew version of Abigail’s name. ))

Korvin nods to Pinchas then gets a set of keys to unlock a box and pull out a old coin. He then opens a small book and makes a note. Hmmm. We shall have to find another magus to sign as well. Sorry Abagail. Even though he is your guest and you will vouch for him the rules stay it must be a magus. Korvin looks out the window for a bit. Ahh! Roberto is practicing some guards. Lets go and talk to him.

After a walk to the practice area. Korvin will wait for a break in the action to get Roberto’s attention and explain the situation. Roberto, this is Rabbi Pinchas. He has traveled from the Phoenix Covenant in Iberia to stay with us for a while. He needs an aegis token and with our rules two magi must witness the giving out of the tokens.((Cue Roberto))



 cunningrat1 » Tue May 07, 2013 9:03 am
Pinchas inclines his head to Roberto in greeting, but stays quiet. The man looks like a Castillian caballero born and bred, and Pinchas has learned the hard way not to expect much good of Castillian caballeros.

(( “No good. I’ve known too many Spaniards.”))
(( Jebrick, you may want to ping Marko through a PM, he doesn’t always read the threads he isn’t directly involved in.))



gerg » Tue May 07, 2013 11:38 am
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:((edited to add: by the way, does Tranquillina extend her Parma over Moire, or does it slip her mind in her current state?))

((Hmm, that’s a good question. I guess Tranquillina would be in the habit of using her Parma in this way, since she interacts so much with covenfolk – purely pragmatic, as she finds the Gift a natural state that she wishes others could just deal with. She would want to keep open the possibility of using her Mentem magic on people, but she should be able to Penetrate her own diluted magic resistance in this aura. So, combined with the decent Etiquette roll above, let’s say yes, she does extend Parma over Moire.))
((Side question: if Tranquillina uses her Parma to cover Moire, and then somebody casts a spell on Moire which doesn’t penetrate … would Tranquillina feel a ping?  ))
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:“They’re doing wonderfully, thank you for asking. Vivienne is almost ready to follow in her mother and grandmother’s footsteps, and Meadhbh…well, she is everywhere, and she’s figured out how to climb the stairs, so that’s even more worry for all of us. May I come in? I heard you weren’t feeling well, so I brought some soup for you. It should still be warm, even with as cold as it was on the way over, but you should be able to heat it up again easily.”

“Why, dat id egdrebely kide ob you, Boire!” Tranquillina smiles, sincerely but still a bit pitifully given her red puffy face. "Why dod’d we … jusd hold id over dhe heardh, for a bobedd, if you blease." She touches the tureen and causes it to hover in place. Once Moire lets go, Tranquillina touches the wood in the fireplace and ignites it.
((ReTe: Base 3, +1 Touch, +2 Sun = level 10. Unless it’s metal and not ceramic, in which case probably have to reduce the duration to Diameter to compensate. Sta -3 + Re 9 + Te 5 + aura 10 +stress die 7 = 28, halved is 14.))
((CrIg: Base 4, +1 Touch = level 5. Sta -3 + Cr 6 + Ig 0 + aura 5 + stress die 8 = 16, halved is 8.))



 Marko Markoko » Tue May 07, 2013 2:57 pm
Roberto is not a Caballero. He is Infantry 

A Token? The Rabbi is a magus, eh? Seems fine by me…



 cunningrat1 » Tue May 07, 2013 3:07 pm
Marko Markoko wrote:A Token? The Rabbi is a magus, eh? Seems fine by me…

Pinchas shakes his head. "Not a magus. The Aegis merely interferes with certain devotions, that is all."



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Tue May 07, 2013 8:12 pm
gerg wrote:“Why, dat id egdrebely kide ob you, Boire!” Tranquillina smiles, sincerely but still a bit pitifully given her red puffy face. "Why dod’d we … jusd hold id over dhe heardh, for a bobedd, if you blease."She touches the tureen and causes it to hover in place. Once Moire lets go, Tranquillina touches the wood in the fireplace and ignites it.
((ReTe: Base 3, +1 Touch, +2 Sun = level 10. Unless it’s metal and not ceramic, in which case probably have to reduce the duration to Diameter to compensate. Sta -3 + Re 9 + Te 5 + aura 10 + stress die 7 = 28, halved is 14.))
((CrIg: Base 4, +1 Touch = level 5. Sta -3 + Cr 6 + Ig 0 + aura 5 + stress die 8 = 16, halved is 8.))

((I was picturing ceramic, myself, so that works.))

As the soup starts to heat up again, the smell starts to fill the room…although Tranquillina may not notice, as stopped up as her nose is. Moire stands close to the fire, warming up after the walk over, but she keeps looking at the maga.

“I hope you don’t think I’m prying, Tranquillina, but what happened between you and Fiona? She was more upset than I’ve seen her since that Greek magus died a couple of years ago, and you know how she is. She won’t tell me a thing, won’t even admit that she might have been crying. You know she’s rather fond of you. Not,” she adds hurriedly, “like she is of half the men of the covenant. But I think she does consider you a dear friend…and I’d hate to think of anything coming between you.”



 Marko Markoko » Tue May 07, 2013 9:44 pm
cunningrat1 wrote:
Marko Markoko wrote:A Token? The Rabbi is a magus, eh? Seems fine by me…

Pinchas shakes his head. "Not a magus. The Aegis merely interferes with certain devotions, that is all."

Roberto returns a quizitive look. Order of Geonim? Some kind of Holy Magic Hedge Wizard? Whatever it is, no matter. You come from the prestegious Covenant of Phoenix, and are reccomended by my friend Korvin. A Token shall be granted
A big orange cat rubs against Pinchas’ leg.
cunningrat1 wrote:(( “No good. I’ve known too many Spaniards.”))
I thought you were also Spaniard 
cunningrat1 wrote:(( Jebrick, you may want to ping Marko through a PM, he doesn’t always read the threads he isn’t directly involved in.))
I wind up getting myself into trouble that way because I always wanna put my two cents in 



 cunningrat1 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:43 pm
Pinchas politely says "Thank you" and bends down to scritch Cidito’s ears, hiding a smile. “Order of Gaonim” indeed… the academies haven’t existed for two hundred years, and even if they did, he probably wouldn’t make the grade as a Gaon.


 Marko Markoko » Wed May 08, 2013 12:48 am
It has been twelve years since I last visited Phoenix. The Shadow Wars. Perhaps it is providence of God that you have arrived when you have. You would think I am better prepared to fight the foces of the Devil, but I have been lazy and distracted. Father, er, rabbi, sir. I would seek your advice and assistance. I am puting together an expedition to investigate the possible activities of a known Infernalist. Now I know we are of different faiths. But God is God and there is only one God. And the Devils is what it is. And there is light versus darkness and you can do the math. heh-heh. 
I would like to discuss it more over supper and a pint of ale. Unless you happened to bring some wine with you from Andalusia . Or that special wine you guys make, the machevette. madachevette? marashowitz?


 gerg » Wed May 08, 2013 1:09 am
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:“I hope you don’t think I’m prying, Tranquillina, but what happened between you and Fiona? She was more upset than I’ve seen her since that Greek magus died a couple of years ago, and you know how she is. She won’t tell me a thing, won’t even admit that she might have been crying. You know she’s rather fond of you. Not,” she adds hurriedly, “like she is of half the men of the covenant. But I think she does consider you a dear friend…and I’d hate to think of anything coming between you.”

“Hbb? Yes, I cerdaidly coudd her as a friedd….” Tranquillina is a little distracted in general, and is also serving the warmed soup from the hovering tureen ((I assume there’s like a ladle and bowls … otherwise she can conjure some)). She gestures to ask Moire whether she would like some. Then the words Moire said register in her mind. "Ubsed? Cryig? … well, she was sobewhad coddesceddigg – “ she blows her nose vigorously ”- coddesceddigg do be a couble of dighds ago, blease forgive be for sayigg; I subbose I bighd have sdabbed ad her a bid bore dhad was jusdified.“The memory of exactly who said what is a little indistinct, since Tranquillina has been driving herself so hard while ill. ”Dhad could have ubsed her … I did dod really bead do, I regred havigg dode so."



 Marko Markoko » Wed May 08, 2013 4:13 am
I hope I am not disturbing you. You just seem so upset as of late, and I cannot help noticing the tears in your eyes. It pains me to see you so. I have to admit, you have always intimidated me a bit. I am a man of small frame and you are a sturdy lass. But to see you in such pain, it humbles me. You are a woman, delicate and compassionate. We men are corse and insesitive beasts, and we tend to be ignorant of the feelings of those around us.
I hope you can forgive me, and to apologize I have brought this bottle of wine and a song to share with you.
I know that players are not bound by the influence of the characteristics and ability rolls of other characters (only NPC’s are). But for the record…

  • Venus’ Blessing
  • Presence +2
  • Charm 4 (ladies)

As for Language, he has French 2 (talking to women) and Latin 3. So communication is a little clumsy. Hopefully that will help make it cute 

If allowed, he will play an old ballad and sing a sweet song in Spanish…



 Jonathan.Link » Wed May 08, 2013 5:41 am
Marko Markoko wrote:I hope I am not disturbing you. You just seem so upset as of late, and I cannot help noticing the tears in your eyes. It pains me to see you so. I have to admit, you have always intimidated me a bit. I am a man of small frame and you are a sturdy lass. But to see you in such pain, it humbles me. You are a woman, delicate and compassionate. We men are corse and insesitive beasts, and we tend to be ignorant of the feelings of those around us.
I hope you can forgive me, and to apologize I have brought this bottle of wine and a song to share with you.
I know that players are not bound by the influence of the characteristics and ability rolls of other characters (only NPC’s are). But for the record…

  • Venus’ Blessing
  • Presence +2
  • Charm 4 (ladies)

As for Language, he has French 2 (talking to women) and Latin 3. So communication is a little clumsy. Hopefully that will help make it cute 

If allowed, he will play an old ballad and sing a sweet song in Spanish…

I might be the only one lost a bit here, but who is speaking and to whom is he speaking?



cunningrat1 » Wed May 08, 2013 7:14 am
Jonathan.Link wrote:I might be the only one lost a bit here, but who is speaking and to whom is he speaking?

(( Uh… El Cidito to Cumhachd? 
Just guessing, mind you. 
I don’t think you’re the only one confused.))



Jonathan.Link » Wed May 08, 2013 8:36 am
cunningrat1 wrote:
Jonathan.Link wrote:I might be the only one lost a bit here, but who is speaking and to whom is he speaking?

(( Uh… El Cidito to Cumhachd? 
Just guessing, mind you. 
I don’t think you’re the only one confused.))

Well, it seems to be Carlos, if I sussed it out… Now to whom he is speaking… Tranquillina? Hrm, that should be interesting. He could be a proxy for all the frustration she feels regarding Loys (and Cumhachd)! Tranquillina doesn’t quite fit…so I’m at a loss. 



 gerg » Wed May 08, 2013 11:45 am
I think it’s Marko himself, just casting the net wide to see whom he might entrance. 


Marko Markoko » Wed May 08, 2013 5:23 pm
I think Markoko botched his copy/paste roll and left off half of the post
 
He is knocking on Fiona’s door

Sometime, whenever, in the midst of the emotional drama; just before the expedition, or just after he returns, or somehow magically ressurects and transports here and now (time-bifrocated stories);
Carlos Gutierez comes knocking on Fiona’s door with guitar slung over his shoulder and bottle of wine in hand.
I hope I am not disturbing you. You just seem so upset as of late, and I cannot help noticing the tears in your eyes. It pains me to see you so. I have to admit, you have always intimidated me a bit. I am a man of small frame and you are a sturdy lass. But to see you in such pain, it humbles me. You are a woman, delicate and compassionate. We men are corse and insesitive beasts, and we tend to be ignorant of the feelings of those around us.
I hope you can forgive me, and to apologize I have brought this bottle of wine and a song to share with you.
I know that players are not bound by the influence of the characteristics and ability rolls of other characters (only NPC’s are). But for the record…

  • Venus’ Blessing
  • Presence +2
  • Charm 4 (ladies)

As for Language, he has French 2 (talking to women) and Latin 3. So communication is a little clumsy. Hopefully that will help make it cute 

If allowed, he will play an old ballad and sing a sweet song in Spanish…



Peregrine_Bjornaer » Wed May 08, 2013 8:22 pm
((I had a feeling when I saw the bit about the tears and the small of frame that Fiona was involved somehow  ))
Marko Markoko wrote:Sometime, whenever, in the midst of the emotional drama; just before the expedition, or just after he returns, or somehow magically ressurects and transports here and now (time-bifrocated stories);
Carlos Gutierez comes knocking on Fiona’s door with guitar slung over his shoulder and bottle of wine in hand.
I hope I am not disturbing you. You just seem so upset as of late, and I cannot help noticing the tears in your eyes. It pains me to see you so. I have to admit, you have always intimidated me a bit. I am a man of small frame and you are a sturdy lass. But to see you in such pain, it humbles me. You are a woman, delicate and compassionate. We men are corse and insesitive beasts, and we tend to be ignorant of the feelings of those around us.
I hope you can forgive me, and to apologize I have brought this bottle of wine and a song to share with you.

If allowed, he will play an old ballad and sing a sweet song in Spanish…

Fiona smiles as she checks him out, her hair…it almost looks like it’s blowing in a stiff wind, except it still pours over her shoulders, and it looks like a couple of sparks fly from her noggin. Not bad, she thinks. Too bad he came the one time I’m really not in the mood to fles.

“I don’t think I’ve ever been sung to before, sir,” she says in Latin, "and I would desperately love to have my spirits raised. I will be right back.“ She doesn’t shut the door on him, but goes back into the kitchen and returns with a pair of glasses, then leads him out into the garden. There are a row of beechnut trees lining one side of a plot, under which is a good-sized bench. She sits down and motions him to sit beside her.



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Wed May 08, 2013 9:09 pm
gerg wrote:”Hbb? Yes, I cerdaidly coudd her as a friedd….“ Tranquillina is a little distracted in general, and is also serving the warmed soup from the hovering tureen ((I assume there’s like a ladle and bowls … otherwise she can conjure some)). She gestures to ask Moire whether she would like some. Then the words Moire said register in her mind. ”Ubsed? Cryig? … well, she was sobewhad coddesceddigg – “she blows her nose vigorously ”- coddesceddigg do be a couble of dighds ago, blease forgive be for sayigg; I subbose I bighd have sdabbed ad her a bid bore dhad was jusdified.“ The memory of exactly who said what is a little indistinct, since Tranquillina has been driving herself so hard while ill. ”Dhad could have ubsed her … I did dod really bead do, I regred havigg dode so."

Moire accepts the soup politely. “I know Fiona can be a handful sometimes, but her heart is in the right place. Maybe when you return the tureen, you can talk it out?”



 Marko Markoko » Wed May 08, 2013 10:37 pm
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:((I had a feeling when I saw the bit about the tears and the small of frame that Fiona was involved somehow  ))
Marko Markoko wrote:Sometime, whenever, in the midst of the emotional drama; just before the expedition, or just after he returns, or somehow magically ressurects and transports here and now (time-bifrocated stories);
Carlos Gutierez comes knocking on Fiona’s door with guitar slung over his shoulder and bottle of wine in hand.
I hope I am not disturbing you. You just seem so upset as of late, and I cannot help noticing the tears in your eyes. It pains me to see you so. I have to admit, you have always intimidated me a bit. I am a man of small frame and you are a sturdy lass. But to see you in such pain, it humbles me. You are a woman, delicate and compassionate. We men are corse and insesitive beasts, and we tend to be ignorant of the feelings of those around us.
I hope you can forgive me, and to apologize I have brought this bottle of wine and a song to share with you.

If allowed, he will play an old ballad and sing a sweet song in Spanish…

Fiona smiles as she checks him out, her hair…it almost looks like it’s blowing in a stiff wind, except it still pours over her shoulders, and it looks like a couple of sparks fly from her noggin. Not bad, she thinks. Too bad he came the one time I’m really not in the mood to fles.

“I don’t think I’ve ever been sung to before, sir,” she says in Latin, "and I would desperately love to have my spirits raised. I will be right back." She doesn’t shut the door on him, but goes back into the kitchen and returns with a pair of glasses, then leads him out into the garden. There are a row of beechnut trees lining one side of a plot, under which is a good-sized bench. She sits down and motions him to sit beside her.

Carlos sits next to Fiona, smiles, and pours two glasses of wine. He sips, and then plays a little Spanish Romance…
Then Asturias
And on that second one, somehow he channles the spirit of Jim Morrison and sings the lyrics to Spanish Caravan 



 cunningrat1 » Thu May 09, 2013 4:25 pm
Marko Markoko wrote:It has been twelve years since I last visited Phoenix. The Shadow Wars. Perhaps it is providence of God that you have arrived when you have. You would think I am better prepared to fight the foces of the Devil, but I have been lazy and distracted. Father, er, rabbi, sir. I would seek your advice and assistance. I am puting together an expedition to investigate the possible activities of a known Infernalist. Now I know we are of different faiths. But God is God and there is only one God. And the Devils is what it is. And there is light versus darkness and you can do the math. heh-heh. 
I would like to discuss it more over supper and a pint of ale. Unless you happened to bring some wine with you from Andalusia . Or that special wine you guys make, the machevette. madachevette? marashowitz?

Pinchas smiles. "I would be glad to hear more about it, and if there is any advice I can offer on the machinations of the, as you call them, Infernal, you are welcome to it. As to supper… I would be glad to join you, assuming we tell Mordecai in enough time to be able to prepare something I can eat. Or perhaps you can — tomorrow — stop by wherever Korvin plans on putting me."



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Thu May 09, 2013 7:36 pm
Marko Markoko wrote:
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:Fiona smiles as she checks him out, her hair…it almost looks like it’s blowing in a stiff wind, except it still pours over her shoulders, and it looks like a couple of sparks fly from her noggin. Not bad,she thinks. Too bad he came the one time I’m really not in the mood to fles.

“I don’t think I’ve ever been sung to before, sir,” she says in Latin, "and I would desperately love to have my spirits raised. I will be right back." She doesn’t shut the door on him, but goes back into the kitchen and returns with a pair of glasses, then leads him out into the garden. There are a row of beechnut trees lining one side of a plot, under which is a good-sized bench. She sits down and motions him to sit beside her.

Carlos sits next to Fiona, smiles, and pours two glasses of wine. He sips, and then plays a little Spanish Romance…
Then Asturias
And on that second one, somehow he channles the spirit of Jim Morrison and sings the lyrics to Spanish Caravan 

((Whoops. I forgot that it’s dead of winter after a bad snowstorm. So. Before she sits down, she will touch the snow that’s covering the bench and cast a spontaneous Rego Aquam spell to move the snow off. Base 1, to “control liquid in an extremely gentle way”, i.e. like brushing it off completely. R: Voice +2. D: Concentration +1, T: Individual, for a final target level of 4. Her CT is Sta 3 + Re 10 + Aq 5 + Rego-aligned Aura 10 = 28 ÷ 5 = 6. Cast without fatigue. She then touches the bench and warms it to a comfortable level. CrIg, base 2 to “heat an object to be warm to the touch,” R: Touch +1, D: Sun +2, T: Individual, for a target level of 5. Her CT is Sta 3 + Cr 6 + Ig 5 + Aura 5 + die roll of 8 = 27, halved is 14. Mmm mmm toasty.))

Fiona smiles as he plays, her hair continuing to almost shimmer, lifting slightly in an unfelt breeze, as she closes her eyes and lets the music wash over her. When he’s done, her eyes open and she graces him with a sultry look.

“Thank you, sir. I do feel much better. You are very talented.”

She leans forward and kisses him gently on the cheek, whispering in his ear. "If you wish to return tomorrow night to sing to me some more, perhaps we can see in what other ways your nimble fingers can bring me pleasure."



 Marko Markoko » Fri May 10, 2013 8:02 am
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:Fiona smiles as he plays, her hair continuing to almost shimmer, lifting slightly in an unfelt breeze, as she closes her eyes and lets the music wash over her. When he’s done, her eyes open and she graces him with a sultry look.

“Thank you, sir. I do feel much better. You are very talented.”

She leans forward and kisses him gently on the cheek, whispering in his ear. "If you wish to return tomorrow night to sing to me some more, perhaps we can see in what other ways your nimble fingers can bring me pleasure."

Calos smiles, a warm soft smile with eyes full of gentle kindness.
I do appreciate an audience, and pretty ladies are my favorite audience.
But do not misread my intentions. Though I am most agreeable to other sots of…“intentions”, that is not my goal. My true intention, honestly, is the smile I brought to your pretty face. He reaches over and caresses her cheek softly, tracing the curve of her smile with his finger to the corner of her mouth. My goal, if I were to have one, is not what is under your skirt. It is what is under your blouse. I seek to touch your heart.
I apologize for speaking lewdly. We are not children. You are a powerful wizard and I am an uncouth old soldier. And I am by no means pure. I have made many a bed and left many behind.
The corporeal is transient, ephemeral. But Love is eternal.

Now, keep in mind that Carlos is not as well spoken as Marko Markoko  
And he is going to have a thick accent, primarilly speaking in Latin but often having to resort to Spanish then French before he can get the word right. But then there’s Venus’ Blessing 

Now, why is Carlos doing this? What is he up to? I don’t know. Sometimes characters take on a life of their own.



Marko Markoko » Fri May 10, 2013 10:04 am
cunningrat1 wrote:
Marko Markoko wrote:It has been twelve years since I last visited Phoenix. The Shadow Wars. Perhaps it is providence of God that you have arrived when you have. You would think I am better prepared to fight the foces of the Devil, but I have been lazy and distracted. Father, er, rabbi, sir. I would seek your advice and assistance. I am puting together an expedition to investigate the possible activities of a known Infernalist. Now I know we are of different faiths. But God is God and there is only one God. And the Devils is what it is. And there is light versus darkness and you can do the math. heh-heh. 
I would like to discuss it more over supper and a pint of ale. Unless you happened to bring some wine with you from Andalusia . Or that special wine you guys make, the machevette. madachevette? marashowitz?

Pinchas smiles. "I would be glad to hear more about it, and if there is any advice I can offer on the machinations of the, as you call them, Infernal, you are welcome to it. As to supper… I would be glad to join you, assuming we tell Mordecai in enough time to be able to prepare something I can eat. Or perhaps you can — tomorrow — stop by wherever Korvin plans on putting me."

If tomorrow suits you better then so shall it be.



 cunningrat1 » Fri May 10, 2013 10:10 am
Marko Markoko wrote:If tomorrow suits you better then so shall it be.

(( You want to play this out, or handwave it? I’m OK with either. Would slightly prefer handwaving if Roberto’s questions would touch on Infernal Lore to the extent that we need to pull JL in for answers. I don’t have RoP: I, and can’t really get it before next month at the earliest.))



 Marko Markoko » Fri May 10, 2013 4:31 pm
cunningrat1 wrote:
Marko Markoko wrote:If tomorrow suits you better then so shall it be.

(( You want to play this out, or handwave it? I’m OK with either. Would slightly prefer handwaving if Roberto’s questions would touch on Infernal Lore to the extent that we need to pull JL in for answers. I don’t have RoP: I, and can’t really get it before next month at the earliest.))

Handwave or put it off until Sunday night 



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Fri May 10, 2013 8:11 pm
Marko Markoko wrote:
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:(Fiona) leans forward and kisses him gently on the cheek, whispering in his ear. "If you wish to return tomorrow night to sing to me some more, perhaps we can see in what other ways your nimble fingers can bring me pleasure."

Calos smiles, a warm soft smile with eyes full of gentle kindness.
I do appreciate an audience, and pretty ladies are my favorite audience.
But do not misread my intentions. Though I am most agreeable to other sots of…“intentions”, that is not my goal. My true intention, honestly, is the smile I brought to your pretty face. He reaches over and caresses her cheek softly, tracing the curve of her smile with his finger to the corner of her mouth. My goal, if I were to have one, is not what is under your skirt. It is what is under your blouse. I seek to touch your heart.
I apologize for speaking lewdly. We are not children. You are a powerful wizard and I am an uncouth old soldier. And I am by no means pure. I have made many a bed and left many behind.
The corporeal is transient, ephemeral. But Love is eternal.

Now, keep in mind that Carlos is not as well spoken as Marko Markoko  
And he is going to have a thick accent, primarilly speaking in Latin but often having to resort to Spanish then French before he can get the word right. But then there’s Venus’ Blessing 

Now, why is Carlos doing this? What is he up to? I don’t know. Sometimes characters take on a life of their own.

Fiona covers Carlos’s hand with her own. "Tomorrow night, then. Is there someplace you like to perform, that’s out of the weather? Or would you be content to perform in my bedroom?“ After he answers, she kisses him gently once more. ”Until tomorrow night, then," She then gets up and heads back to her cottage, making sure he enjoys the view, her hair drifting in every direction. She undresses and goes straight to bed, but lays there awake for a long time. It’s been a very trying night for her – first, with the surprising outburst from Tranquillina (which at this point still has her hurt and confused), and then with Carlos’s professed desire to love her and win her love…which is something that has never happened to her (on either count).

It is quite some time before she finally falls into a restless sleep, and she doesn’t feel very rested the next day.


Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

In the Ruins of Bibracte jonathanlink Peregrine_Bjornaer