Once More Unto the Breach

(Source thread)

 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:18 am
Fiona is the first to arrive at the meeting point, wearing one of her nicer, more flattering (if not revealing) dresses. Noticeably, her shield grog is not with her.

Once everyone who is going to go has arrived, she briefly explains how to cross over the boundary in to Magic, and demonstrate, being the first one to go through.

Once she’s on the other side, she quickly steps aside and looks around, giving the Blacksmith a passionate kiss hello if he’s there.



gerg » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:18 pm
Tranquillina arrives next, carrying (in addition to her usual pouch) a satchel containing a dozen palm-sized stones. Her outfit consists of hardy, snugly-fitting clothes that will not catch on branches nor hamper her movements; her brownish-red hair seems shorter than usual. "Good morning, Fiona," she says in Gaelic, pleasantly but not effusively. She is still disappointed that no Arcane Connection to Marcus could be located, as she was hoping to learn something about his present situation that morning at sunrise; moreover, she is simply a bit apprehensive about her first voyage to the Magic Realm.

“Before we start,” Tranquillina murmurs reluctantly to the other magi who will be going, "if you would please inform me: are any of you carrying vis with you?"

A mere two minutes before the group departs, Phelippe arrives as well, reporting to Tranquillina. The maga had summoned him the evening before, after the current plan was formed. "Salve, Phelippe,“ she greets him in Latin – a sure sign, in his mind, that pleasantries would soon be set aside, or otherwise she would have struggled along in her novice French for a few sentences. ”How are your sisters – are they enjoying the new dresses I arranged for them? Yes, Susane’s work is extremely flattering, I agree."

“You remember, I’m sure, the conversation we had last month, where I promised to ensure your family would be more content here, and told you that you would be given greater responsibility also? Well, an example of that responsibility is come. You will serve as my shield on a voyage that begins tomorrow morning. I believe we will be gone a week or two, but it is not clear. And, we will be traveling in a realm where the supernatural is commonplace – far more so than among us at this covenant, for example. Can I count on you to keep a level head and protect me against the unpredictable?”

((Right now we don’t have any character sheet for Phelippe – only a brief character sketch. If someone would like to stat him up and play him, that’d be great. I’m willing to do it, but the more players the merrier!))



 The Fixer » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:12 am
gerg wrote:“Before we start,” Tranquillina murmurs reluctantly to the other magi who will be going, "if you would please inform me: are any of you carrying vis with you?"

Calmly, Isen replies No. And this is an error, you are right. I never took this habit, but maybe I should.

He’ll go right after tranquillina, and, once arrived at the blacksmith’s cottage, look around him
Well, despite what you told me, fiona, this feels strange. I’ll admit I expected something a little more strange.
And this is that famous blacksmith. He’ll make a slight bow. Pleased to meet you.



Jonathan.Link » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:07 pm
((This is a combat oriented story, or at least has a high probability of combat. Grogs are strongly advised.))


 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:28 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:((This is a combat oriented story, or at least has a high probability of combat. Grogs are strongly advised.))

((Fiona’s intentionally not taking Jehanne because she has no intention of going further than the Blacksmith’s bedroom. If anything pops up, she plans on doing a Kirk roll through the regio boundary back to Mons Electi.))



gerg » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:39 pm
((If someone could fill me in on what the Blacksmith and his home look like – I’m new here  ))

Once the greetings are out of the way, Tranquillina will prepare herself as best she can for danger. This means:
Gift of the Bear’s Fortitude from her cloak
Eyes of the Eagle (automatic in this strong aura)
Wizard’s Sidestep (automatic)
She moves away from the others to cast these spells, if possible (because of the vis allergy thing). ((Do these Sun-duration spells all last like forever in here?))



 The Fixer » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:05 am
Jonathan.Link wrote:((This is a combat oriented story, or at least has a high probability of combat. Grogs are strongly advised.))

Isen is too reclusive to have acquired a dedicated shield grog, although he’d like Brionne to come with him. And, say, Bernard.

Like Tranquillina, he’ll put his defensive enchantments up, although he’ll wait until introductions are made and all. Priorities, priorities.



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:47 am
gerg wrote:((If someone could fill me in on what the Blacksmith and his home look like – I’m new here  ))

((The Blacksmith and his house made their first appearance in the This Is the Land of Giants thread, which took place in the Summer of 1222, immediately after the death of Apollodorus.

The Blacksmith stands roughly ten and a half feet tall, broad of build, and absolutely gorgeous! For some reason, I picture him as having dark/black hair, but that might just be me filling in the spaces, I dunno.

His house, itself, seems to be whatever it needs to be at the time…either that, or it came into being when Fiona first crossed over and he hasn’t bothered to change it since. It suffered some fire damage between Land of Giants and Don’t Forget the Blacksmith of Brandywine, which are, so far, the only two threads that the Blacksmith and his house have been in.))



 Jonathan.Link » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:57 am
Not enough time has passed for the damage to have been repaired by the time everyone returns…


 gerg » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:52 am
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:((The Blacksmith stands roughly ten and a half feet tall, broad of build, and absolutely gorgeous! For some reason, I picture him as having dark/black hair, but that might just be me filling in the spaces, I dunno.))

((Got it. A giant Patrick Swayze with Fabio hair.))

Tranquillina could will bring a second grog too, say Jehanne (especially if Fiona isn’t sticking around).

Anyone coming besides Tranquillina and Isen? In a search and rescue operation, T will be good at “search”, perhaps less useful at “rescue”….



 jebrick » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:10 pm
Jacques comes into the room with his bow and other gear. He is a little out of breath as if he ran here.

Is it alright if I come along?(pant pant)



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:19 pm
jebrick wrote:Jacques comes into the room with his bow and other gear. He is a little out of breath as if he ran here.

Is it alright if I come along?(pant pant)

“Certainly,” Fiona says with a smile. "The more, the merrier."



Jonathan.Link » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:16 pm
((I’d like to play through someone actually getting in touch with Marcus’s familiar.))


 gerg » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:50 pm
All right, I guess Tranquillina is the “search” after all  Marcus’s familiar is a fire drake – what is its name? And we expect it to be on the covenant grounds somewhere?

Tranquillina decides to implement two plans at once. First, she tells Phelippe and Jehanne to start circulating among the shepherds, asking them if they have seen the drake today, and looking for signs of its recent presence (charred ground, half-eaten sheep, damsels in distress). "If you find information that will help me locate it, stand in the open and light a torch. When I signal you back, you can tell me what you have learned – I will be able to hear you from afar. Oh, but I will need these…." She magically plucks hairs from their heads and summons them to her hand, where she tucks them away in a kerchief (luckily Jehanne is black-haired and Phelippe is fair, she nods to herself).

((This is a very Tranquillina thing to do: she could easily pluck the hairs by hand, but the magical way of doing things is always the first to occur to her. I don’t know exactly what level spell this is, but hell, she can spont a level 21 ReCo spell even without the die roll  ))

Meanwhile, she will go out herself to the pastures, or a hillside overlooking the majority of the covenant grounds. She will cast Eyes of the Eagle upon herself, then (just to be safe – this is a drake we’re dealing with!) Wizard’s Sidestep as well. She will pick up a stone from the ground and keep it in her palm, in case she needs to teleport to that spot in a hurry. Finally she will cast Lifting the Dangling Puppet on herself, ascending up to a height of fifty paces or so, and start scanning the fields herself, looking for the drake or signs of its passing.



 Jonathan.Link » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:20 pm
Mons Electi pulls sheep from a very wide area…
But luckily, Tranquillina doesn’t even need to get very far, as when she begins leavings, she spies something moving on Pierre de la Wivre. (Fixer, feel free to correct my French )


 gerg » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:25 pm
Well then … off we go to the Stone of the -
huh. What do you know! Makes sense, doesn’t it  

I notice that Leap of Homecoming Seven-League Stride requires a Finesse roll for every jump. Does Wizard’s Leap? Its description (HoH:S page 36) doesn’t mention a Finesse roll, although the spells are extremely similar.
Reason I’m asking: if no Finesse rolls required (or if failure wouldn’t matter anyway), then Tranquillina will Wizard’s Leap her way to the Pierre, fifty paces at a time or so.
But if she’s going to break an ankle in the first ten jumps, then instead she’ll wolf up (Shape of the Woodland Prowler) and lope over there. In this case, she will cast Stories of the Beast on herself so that she can talk from wolf form if need be. And yes, she will be quite cognizant of her lack of knowledge about whether drakes consider wolves to be snacks or not…. 



Jonathan.Link » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:35 pm
((The only spell that requires a finesse roll, as per the description of the spell is Seven-League Stride. I’m inclined to think this is related to places where you can barely make it out in the distance and you try and jump there, but I don’t know. Wizard’s Leap you’re close enough to be able to get a sense of what’s where and where you can safely Leap. That’s just my general sense of things based on the description of the spells.))
The Pierre de la Wivre is not far from the commonly used south gate, a Wizard’s Leap or two should put her in range, easily. As she leaps close enough, she hears a roar from the dog sized dragon atop the Wivre. "Where is my amicus? You people have a disturbing habit of losing him. And I’ve heard rumors that the giant maga is back, without him." ((I’m handwaving that Marcus, as a protected guest of Mons Electi secured a token for his familiar. No one knows what he calls his familiar, by the way. Alternatively, I just up the might sufficient to overcome the Aegis.  ))


 gerg » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:53 pm
((oops, yeah, I meant Seven League. Ok, fair enough))

Tranquillina addresses the drake at a distance of about twenty paces. (Actually she knows exactly how far she is away, down to a fraction of an inch, but maybe that’s unimportant right now….)“Aye, Fiona has returned, and Marcus was not with her. He separated from the rest to save them from attack; but unfortunately we do not know where he is now. Indeed, that is exactly why I have come to you: I intend to find Marcus, and I believe you can help me greatly.”

“My name is Tranquillina Bonisagi; no doubt you have seen me around the covenant since autumn began,” she smiles wryly. "What may I call you?"

((yeah man: if I were visiting a covenant and I had a familiar, I’d damn well ask for a token for it too….))



Jonathan.Link » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:04 pm
“Marcus is not subtle. I am called Ignitio.” he belches a bit of fre, as if to prove a point. "If he isn’t in a cave, I’m going with you.“ He says it as its fair accompli. ”I’m tired of you people losing him. He went with Apollodorus to that island of vampires, and suddenly he’s taken into cave by the vampires. And now this. Marcus is too nice for his own good," which doesn’t sound like a description of any Tytalus Tranquillina has met.


gerg » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:53 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:he belches a bit of fre, as if to prove a point

((aha, so that’s how fre is made!  ))

“Pleased to meet you, Ignitio,” Tranquillina replies (truthfully, as long as she doesn’t have to sense the vis within the beast); she rebuffs her instinct to curtsy. "Marcus was not last seen in or near a cave, but … in fact, one thing I would ask your help with is to better determine his surroundings. If you permit me to touch you, I can use your connection to Marcus to see and hear what is happening around him."
((If I’m not mistaken, Arcane Connections don’t work between Mythic Europe and the Magic Realm – so this will have to wait until we’re at the Blacksmith’s. Although if I’m wrong, I’ll cast the spells right here))
Jonathan.Link wrote:“Marcus is too nice for his own good,” which doesn’t sound like a description of any Tytalus Tranquillina has met.

Tranquillina has met one Tytalus in particular – the first member of the Order she ever met, in fact – and the only similarity between “nice” and the words she would use to describe Cumhachd is the number of letters.



 Jonathan.Link » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:15 pm
((No ACs won’t work cross the realm boundary.))

“Why do you need to touch me? Why can’t I just tell you left, right, straight or backwards? I’m perfectly capable of finding my magus, on my own.” He seems exasperated. "While my understanding of Magic Theory isn’t vast, I do believe that common spell available to find a person by means of using an Arcane Connection require a map. Ask me how I know. Irregardless1, I have an advantage above and beyond that spell, too. Penetration, for me, is irrelevant. Did you not hear me when I said I’m going with you?"

1 Yes, I know. Imagine a Fire Drake with fantasies of erudition. Sometimes words get made up.



 gerg » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:00 am
“Ahem, well, yes, of course we welcome your companionship and will greatly benefit from your skills,” Tranquillina ventures. "If we decide we’d like to eavesdrop on Marcus’s surroundings, or see his condition, before getting his physical location, then I can make that happen at the appropriate time. But obviously his location, which you can discern, is the ultimate goal.“ With that, she and Ignitio head back towards the gathering point for the expedition to the Magic Realm. (If he flies ahead, she’ll Wizard’s Leap … I guess it’s not that far in the end.) ”So, you have studied Hermetic Magic Theory?" (He asked her to ask, after all.)


 Jonathan.Link » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:44 pm
“I’ve studied enough to help Marcus out for the times that he’s in the lab, yes.” Ignitio jumps down off the rock, following after Tranquillina. He’s the size of a Mastiff, now that he’s off the rock, and his wingspan is noticeable and impressive. Tranquillina observes as he glides down from the rock, is roughly twice his body length. Despite the wings, or maybe because of them, he is preternaturally fast on the ground and Tranquillina finds herself leaping a couple of times while he waits for her to catch up.


 gerg » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:13 pm
“I am always happy to have a spirited discussion on the theory’s finer points. I imagine your perspective might be noticeably different than mine – it would be an interesting exchange.” This is probably enough to get them back to the gathering point for the rescue expedition (where hopefully Jehanne and Phelippe have also returned).


Jonathan.Link » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:05 pm
Ignitio and Tranquillina arrive on the castle side of the regio, and everyone takes the trip through. Ignitio has trouble falling, as his instinct to take flight grabs hold. On the third attempt he finally falls through the regio boundary and arrives at the Blacksmith’s House with others having preceded or followed him…
They arrived in a place that looks like a raging inferno went through, "A cozy abode for people. I like it." A snort and some smoke flare out of his nostrils.


 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:20 pm
“Och, mo Dhia,” Fiona gasps as she sees the devastation. She looks around quickly for any signs of survivors, or bodies, or any clue that anybody else may still be here, as she fights back the tears.

Fiona looks around quietly to see if anything more’s been done to the place since she left…maybe a couple of hours ago MR time.



Jonathan.Link » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:23 pm
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:“Och, mo Dhia,” Fiona gasps as she sees the devastation. She looks around quickly for any signs of survivors, or bodies, or any clue that anybody else may still be here, as she fights back the tears.

((It was like this last time, although the time difference she might forget and think he’s had time to clean up/repair/replace/rebuild.))



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:29 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:“Och, mo Dhia,” Fiona gasps as she sees the devastation. She looks around quickly for any signs of survivors, or bodies, or any clue that anybody else may still be here, as she fights back the tears.

((It was like this last time, although the time difference she might forget and think he’s had time to clean up/repair/replace/rebuild.))

((Oh. For some reason I was thinking it was much worse. In that case, nevermind  ))



 gerg » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:26 pm
After Tranquillina activates a few magical precautions, she takes Phelippe and Jehanne aside and gives them terse instructions in the event that combat is joined. "Of course, your primary job is to protect my person; I know you are both more than capable in this regard. My magic can produce a few unexpected factors. For example, if you listen carefully, you will notice that my voice is currently coming from a spot one pace behind where you see me right now. This is a defensive measure against foes, but can surely be confusing to you. Remember that my vulnerability is where my voice is, not my image."

“I have the power to change position in an instant,” she continues, showing them by casting Wizard’s Leap to move a few paces. "In battle, if I am this close to you, obviously you can move to cover me again. But if I leap to a location fifty paces away, say, then you must assume that I know what I am doing, taking myself away from your protection. Do not try to rejoin me if it would put you in greater danger – unless I call out for you to do so – but rather engage the enemy on your own terms. Remember that I can also leap back to safety behind you; trust my judgment."

“Similarly, if I become completely invisible, or turn into a wolf and run away, or float up into the sky,” she says while smiling – but not in any way exaggerating, "making it virtually impossible for you to guard my person, then you should again trust that I have a reason for doing so; do not get yourselves killed trying to change tactics. In troth – do not get yourselves killed in any circumstances! I apologize for bringing up these perhaps unlikely scenarios. Any questions?"

((At this point, having cast a few spells, Tranquillina probably has accumulated a bit of vis inside her, as happens in Magic Realms stories. I think it’s appropriate to say that due to her Vis Allergy, all of her rolls starting now will have at least a -1 penalty, and more if she senses vis – including creatures with Magic Might – around her.))
gerg wrote:Right now we don’t have any character sheet for Phelippe – only a brief character sketch. If someone would like to stat him up and play him, that’d be great. I’m willing to do it, but the more players the merrier!

Last chance for this! Peregrine maybe? qcipher maybe?



 qcipher » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:46 pm
((I’d be happy to join in, ummm…where are you? For what it’s worth the Grogs are likely familiar with the spells you described, Alexei uses them himself and tries to make sure any shield grogs compensate for the tactics. His trainer makes sure to thump that into their heads. Alexei can be here to help out if it’s OK with JL and there’s plausible reason, like a messenger or something sent.))


 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:52 pm
((This is the big rescue mission for Marcus that Fiona called the meeting for. Everyone who wants to go is on their way to, or has already passed through to, the Blacksmith’s house in the Magic Realm. Alexei, too, if he wanted to.))


Jonathan.Link » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:52 pm
((If Alexei wants to come, that’s fine. He will probably want to be embiggened by Fiona and the gear embiggened by the Blacksmith, I think I got who does what, right. Otherwise, Alexei may be seriously disadvantaged if he ever gets hit in combat. Of course, his Wizard’s Leap spell will be useless if he is embiggened, and he will have to spont a 20th level version, if it becomes necessary. This is up to Alexei and would be apparent to him before deciding to join. This is a combat centered story. I think gerg is suggesting playing a grog, if you’d rather not take Alexei. This could impact study/lab work, given the time differential.))


 qcipher » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:22 pm
((I’d rather play a grog though, just because Alexei hasn’t said anything or acted in this thread the entire time. Brionne would love to have spells cast on him and is very familiar with magical combat as well as fighting while embiggened, it’s a spell Alexei has used on him often; Turb of Giants))


 jebrick » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:26 pm
For the record, Jacques will take Orrand as his shield grog.

Stats: Qk: +1 Str +1 per +1
Skills : single weapon 4: Ride 4, Animal handling 2, Awareness 3, Bow (Crossbow )3 , Area Lore 3, Latin 2, Second Sight 2
Virtues Custos, Clear thinker, Second Sight
Flaws: Pessimistic, Hatred (Capuchonnes),reckless



 The Fixer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:13 am
qcipher wrote:((I’d rather play a grog though, just because Alexei hasn’t said anything or acted in this thread the entire time. Brionne would love to have spells cast on him and is very familiar with magical combat as well as fighting while embiggened, it’s a spell Alexei has used on him often; Turb of Giants))

Isen has a good memory of Brionne, and would be glad to see him come.

He’ll not get enlarged. Instead, he’ll create an illusion of a giant over him, without fatigue, and will have his talisman maintain it.
The Illusory Giant
CrIm base 3 (illusion to sight, hearing and touch), personnal range, +1 conc, + 1 for size +3 = lvl 05.
(Cr 19 + Im 2 + Sta 2 + Aura 10 = more than enough)



 gerg » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:24 am
((I totally forgot about Falko, who was Marcus’s shield grog, so is probably interested in joining the rescue party. Since he’s statted already and Phelippe isn’t, can we retcon that? So Tranquillina just brings Falko and Jehanne, easy enough. Someone else is welcome to play the grogs in this thread if they want!))


Peregrine_Bjornaer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:31 pm
The Fixer wrote:
qcipher wrote:((I’d rather play a grog though, just because Alexei hasn’t said anything or acted in this thread the entire time. Brionne would love to have spells cast on him and is very familiar with magical combat as well as fighting while embiggened, it’s a spell Alexei has used on him often; Turb of Giants))

Isen has a good memory of Brionne, and would be glad to see him come.

He’ll not get enlarged. Instead, he’ll create an illusion of a giant over him, without fatigue, and will have his talisman maintain it.
The Illusory Giant
CrIm base 3 (illusion to sight, hearing and touch), personnal range, +1 conc, + 1 for size +3 = lvl 05.
(Cr 19 + Im 2 + Sta 2 + Aura 10 = more than enough)

Fiona points out (if she hasn’t already) that anything Sun duration or longer, as near as she can tell, lasts until you leave the Magic Realm. So, if you want to bump up your Illusory Giant to Sun (giving it Level 10)…

When Isen casts his spell, Fiona smiles appreciatively. "Too bad that’s not real,“ she says as she reaches over to stroke the illusion’s arm. Once she makes contact with it, her smile grows broader.”Hellooooooo, Giant."



 qcipher » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:31 pm
Under the illusion, Brionne is sniffing at the wisps of glamour that surround him like it was perfume. Before it becomes too noticeable though he asks Fiona.

“M’lady, was this cast so that I might distract our enemies and then make off with something important? If everyone is so large and I remain my true size, I might be able surprise the enemy.”



Jonathan.Link » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:36 pm
qcipher wrote:Under the illusion, Brionne is sniffing at the wisps of glamour that surround him like it was perfume. Before it becomes too noticeable though he asks Fiona.

“M’lady, was this cast so that I might distract our enemies and then make off with something important? If everyone is so large and I remain my true size, I might be able surprise the enemy.”

((Isen is under the illusion. I really suggest Brionne get embiggened, for realz. Or at least that he not have a choice in the matter. While you will be faster, the damage that giants can inflict on a normal sized person is rather frightening. One-shot kills become pretty easy to get.))



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:31 pm
((Fiona offers to embiggen anybody who wants it. As before, to change the size of a person, with R: Touch, D: Sun, T: Individual, starts at a Spell Level of 10 to make them Size +1, and an additional +1 size for every additional magnitude she hits. Her CT is  Sta 3 + Mu 17 + Co 15 + Co 15 (Minor MF) + Aura 12 = 62 + the die roll, halved, so she will almost definitely get you at least a Size +5. Size +6 if she rolls well. Oh, and with the way Sun Duration works in the Magic Realm, it’s basically indefinite until you leave. So, just need to know who’s getting bespelled.))


 qcipher » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:34 pm
((Brionne would LOVE to have a spell like that on him, even if it Warps him even more))


Peregrine_Bjornaer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:52 pm
((For Brione: CT 62 + die roll of 8 = 70, halved is 35, which is good for Size +6 (which is 22’-28’…call it 25’?). Oh, and have a chocolate chip Warping Point.))


 Jonathan.Link » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:01 pm
Brionne is… now too large for the Blacksmith’s demesne….and cannot fit through the door to get out. I’ll leave it up to Peregrine as to Fiona would really make him that size…


Peregrine_Bjornaer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:07 pm
((Ah. Yeah, Fiona’s been there enough to know that 22’ is about as much as the doors can handle. So, let’s go for 20’ tall, which is Size +5. That would make it a Spell Level 30, which still grants a Warping Point.))


 gerg » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:34 pm
Falko and Jehanne both went with Fiona/Marcus earlier in the thread, and were embiggened at the time … so they can get embiggened too – Tranquillina will defer to the military experts on this.


 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:28 pm
((Falko gets 62 + (die roll of 1, followed by die roll of 2, for a 4) = 66, halved is 33. Size +5 and a Warping Point.

((Jehanne gets 62 + (die roll of 1 and a die roll of 3, for a 6) = 68, halved is 34. Ditto.))

“It would probably be a good idea if you were about the same size as everyone else,” Fiona says. "The locals don’t care for humans much, I gather.“ Fiona pauses for a second. ”Although the spelldoes nudge you just a wee bit closer to Final Twilight,“ she continues, holding her thumb and forefinger tips about a quarter inch apart.



 Jonathan.Link » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:32 pm
Ignitio looks on at everyone else getting bigger. ”What about me?“ His proportions probably require this being done just outside the Blacksmith’s demesne. ((And Tranquillina riding a dragon might give someone pause to attack her, and might even be the impetus for Fiona’s desire for a large Pegasus of stone…))


Peregrine_Bjornaer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:53 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:Ignitio looks on at everyone else getting bigger. ”What about me?" His proportions probably require this being done just outside the Blacksmith’s demesne. ((And Tranquillina riding a dragon might give someone pause to attack her, and might even be the impetus for Fiona’s desire for a large Pegasus of stone…))

((It looks like it would be MuAn Base 4 (“Make a major change in a beast (for example, make a horse bigger…)”), R: Touch 1, D: Sun +2, T: Individual, for a target level of 15. Her CT would be Sta 3 + Mu 17 + An 77 + Aura 12 = 46 + die roll, halved, so probably around a 25 or so. If we continue the +1 magnitude per +1 size above the +1 for the base given by the spell, it’s not looking promising. He’s currently, what, Size -2? And the base spell would increase that to -1?))

Fiona studies Ignitio for a minute as she ponders. "Unfortunately, my knowledge of Animal is nowhere near my knowledge of Corpus. Even with my talent for transformation and the powerful Aura here, and discounting your resistance to magic, I might be able to make you about two or three times bigger than you are now. Um…how resistant are you to magic, anyway?"



 gerg » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:11 pm
((It’d be pretty cool to have a maga ride a dragon, true; but Tranquillina wouldn’t really want to wrap her legs around a beast made of vis…. Also she probably wouldn’t trust him to keep her safety as high in his mind as his own goals.))
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:((Oh, and with the way Sun Duration works in the Magic Realm, it’s basically indefinite until you leave.))

((It seems to me that Diameter duration works the same way … doesn’t it? RoP:M page 20))
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:“It would probably be a good idea if you were about the same size as everyone else,” Fiona says. "The locals don’t care for humans much, I gather.“ Fiona pauses for a second. ”Although the spell doesnudge you just a wee bit closer to Final Twilight," she continues, holding her thumb and forefinger tips about a quarter inch apart.

((All righty then, check this out….))
Tranquillina muses upon Fiona’s words, then slowly nods. "I suppose we might as well present a united front. But I can tailor my own magic to myself more precisely than someone else can, without any harm." She goes outside where there’s plenty of room (and away from all the vis-bearing folks) and casts a spontaneous self-embiggening spell, using loud words and gestures. ((Desired spell is Base level 3 for Size +1, rolling up for size; Personal, +1 Diameter, Individual. Sta -3 + Mu 9 + Co 27 + Talisman attunement (transform self) 4 + words/gestures 2 + aura 10 – Vis Allergy 1 + stress die 1/exploder 1/exploder 7  = 76, halved is 38. That’s an additional 7 magnitudes  for a final Size +8. No warping since it’s self-cast.))

Tranquillina shoots up quickly until she is about 45 feet tall. She looks down at everybody else with undisguised surprise. "Um … I seem to have overdone this." Her tone of voice sounds more satisfied than apologetic.

((Edited to add: I’m assuming that her talisman cloak grows along with her with no ill effects – otherwise there’s no way she’d allow herself to be embiggened….))



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:23 pm
((I think JL touched on this, but basically, the MuCo doesn’t work on clothes. What we had done before is everyone stripped, Fiona cast her spell, and the Blacksmith made clothes for them. So…I guess everyone’s getting an eyeful? 

Also, isn’t the Magic Realm more or less made of vis?))



Jonathan.Link » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:29 pm
((Vis isn’t all over or present in everything. Whether Fiona has disclosed the vis manifests within her, is up to Fiona. I think she explained this to Isen, to some extent. But vis isn’t anywhere.))
Ignitio looks at the giant, naked form of Tranquillina. "So, can you do that to me, since the true giant can’t?" He offers the cutest puppydog look one has ever seen from something that looks like a dragon…


 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:59 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:((Vis isn’t all over or present in everything. Whether Fiona has disclosed the vis manifests within her, is up to Fiona. I think she explained this to Isen, to some extent. But vis isn’t anywhere.))

((Tracked it down, and she merely said that her reforging process consumed vis, but not how, nor that she currently contains half a rook of Corpus.))



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:21 pm
((Hunh…as Fiona looks around between playing conductor and stuff, is there any sign of the Blacksmith, Jurgen, and/or Captivius? They haven’t been shown in this thread yet, that I can tell…merely talked about.))


 Jonathan.Link » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:25 pm
((Just hadn’t gotten that far, yet.))


 gerg » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:12 am
Tranquillina consoles herself, very mildly, by the fact that everyone is looking at her displaced image one pace away, and not directly at her. She hastily gets the Blacksmith to make some clothes for her, and ties her talisman cloak around her right wrist.
“Unfortunately no,” she says to the tiny tiny dragon. "I am skilled only at transforming myself."


 Jonathan.Link » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:22 pm
A voice familiar to Fiona comes out of nowhere, "That size may be a problem. While the Fire Giant that burned out my house is large, he’s not that large. IF there are any structure or cave, you may find your size limits your ability to act.“ And then the Blacksmith is there, and appears to step from nowhere into the area outside his home.


Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:33 pm
Fiona grins at the Blacksmith. ”She was a tad over-enthusiastic, wasn’t she?"

She then makes quick introductions to everyone who hadn’t been before, saving Isen for last. "When this affair is over, I believe you and he have a bit to discuss, if you find you have the time."She gives the Blacksmith a wink.



 Jonathan.Link » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:38 pm
“Well, I don’t share Apollodorus’s predilections…”


gerg » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:01 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:A voice familiar to Fiona comes out of nowhere, "That size may be a problem. While the Fire Giant that burned out my house is large, he’s not that large. IF there are any structure or cave, you may find your size limits your ability to act." And then the Blacksmith is there, and appears to step from nowhere into the area outside his home.

((Can God spont a spell so big that even He cannot Unravel it? Coz Tranquillina just did….))
((And now I’m thinking about which events in the Bible were just Divine botches….  ))

Tranquillina understands the problem with her unexpected stature. The only thing she can think to do is wait a few minutes, then go back to Mons Electi so that the spell will expire on its own accord, then return to the Blacksmith’s and cast it again, but with more control over the outcome. ((Desired spell is Base level 3 for Size +1, +4 magnitudes for Size +5; Personal, +1 Diameter, Individual, for a spell level of 20. Sta -3 + Mu 9 + Co 27 + Talisman attunement (transform self) 4 + aura 10 – Vis Allergy 1 + stress die 4 = 50, halved is 25.))



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:14 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:“Well, I don’t share Apollodorus’s predilections…”

“For which I am extremely grateful,” Fiona says with a smile.



 Jonathan.Link » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:26 pm
gerg wrote:
Jonathan.Link wrote:A voice familiar to Fiona comes out of nowhere, "That size may be a problem. While the Fire Giant that burned out my house is large, he’s not that large. IF there are any structure or cave, you may find your size limits your ability to act." And then the Blacksmith is there, and appears to step from nowhere into the area outside his home.

((Can God spont a spell so big that even He cannot Unravel it? Coz Tranquillina just did….))
((And now I’m thinking about which events in the Bible were just Divine botches….  ))

Tranquillina understands the problem with her unexpected stature. The only thing she can think to do is wait a few minutes, then go back to Mons Electi so that the spell will expire on its own accord, then return to the Blacksmith’s and cast it again, but with more control over the outcome. ((Desired spell is Base level 3 for Size +1, +4 magnitudes for Size +5; Personal, +1 Diameter, Individual, for a spell level of 20. Sta -3 + Mu 9 + Co 27 + Talisman attunement (transform self) 4 + aura 10 – Vis Allergy 1 + stress die 4 = 50, halved is 25.))

Tranquillina cannot fit back into the blacksmith’s house, nor could she fit through the opening back to Mons Electi…
This is a risk of letting a spontaneous spell do the best it can at one of the parameters of the spell…



 gerg » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:47 pm
We’ll live with it then. Unless anyone else has ideas….

Edited to add: Hmm, what about sponting another Muto Corpus spell on herself? It would need to affect a being of Size +8, but that scales up faster than I thought: basically I’d need to add +3 magnitudes for Size, which is probably doable. Base 3, +1 Diam, +3 size is level 15, so far, to shrink myself a little bit. If I wanted to shrink myself from Size +8 to Size +5, what would that be – a level 20 spell? level 25?



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:24 pm
gerg wrote:We’ll live with it then. Unless anyone else has ideas….

Edited to add: Hmm, what about sponting another Muto Corpus spell on herself? It would need to affect a being of Size +8, but that scales up faster than I thought: basically I’d need to add +3 magnitudes for Size, which is probably doable. Base 3, +1 Diam, +3 size is level 15, so far, to shrink myself a little bit. If I wanted to shrink myself from Size +8 to Size +5, what would that be – a level 20 spell? level 25?

((What about sponting an Unravelling the Fabric of Corpus? Target level is 38, so you’d need a spell level of 28 – die roll. Tranquillina has -3 + 14 + 5 + 12, plus (I think) 5 for being Touch instead of Voice range? So, a total of 33 + die roll. Fiona has Sta 3 + Pe 5 + Vi 6 + 12 = 26. Isen looks like he has Sta 1 + Pe 6 + Vi 4 + Aura 12 = 23. Kind of a long shot, regardless.  ))



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:46 pm
((never mind. I forgot – Fiona is Teh Awesome.))

“Tranquillina, if you would be so kind as to suppress your Parma for a moment or two, I believe I can help.”

Base 3, R: Touch +1, D: Diameter +1, T: Individual, +3 magnitudes for Size, for a Target level of 20. Sta 3 + Mu 17 + Co 15 + 15 + Talisman 3 + 12 = 65 + die roll of 2 = 34. That gets her down to Size 6, which is still a little bit too big. 

So, Stage 2 to get her from a 6 to a 5. This actually lowers her Target Level by a magnitude, to 15. CT is still 65 + die roll of 0 (botch check comes up a 2) = 65, halved is 32.

Oh, wait. Tranquillina is probably going to have to guide Fiona, or grab her and have her touch her where she wants to be touched when Fiona casts the spell, for it to go off. But still, Size 5, which is where she is supposed to be at. And Tranquil



 gerg » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:34 pm
((I think Tranquillina could probably spont such a spell on herself – that would save the Warping. Could one spell do the job from +8 to +5 by itself? Also, where’s the +12 coming from – I thought the aura was 10?))
Edited to add: Oh wait, there isn’t Warping on these spells – too low level. I’m just going to sit quietly over here now.


 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:39 pm
gerg wrote:((I think Tranquillina could probably spont such a spell on herself – that would save the Warping. Could one spell do the job from +8 to +5 by itself? Also, where’s the +12 coming from – I thought the aura was 10?))

((Last time Fiona was here, I’m pretty sure the Aura was 12.))



 jebrick » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:05 am
If someone could spont a MuCo to increase my size by 2 I would appreciate it. I can not do MuCo spells. I will enlarge my bow and arrows.


 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:28 pm
jebrick wrote:If someone could spont a MuCo to increase my size by 2 I would appreciate it. I can not do MuCo spells. I will enlarge my bow and arrows.

“All right. Off with the clothes,then,” Fiona says with a smile. "Oh, and could you suppress your parma for a moment?"

((Base 3 to change size, R: Touch +1, D: Diameter +1, T: Individual, +1 to add an additional size to get him to Size +5, is a Target of 10. CT is Sta 3 + Mu 17 + Co 15 + 15 + Talisman 3 + Aura 12 = 65…she can do this without spending fatigue.))



 jebrick » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:37 pm
((size 2 please not size 5 . Should it not last sun? What good is 2 minutes of largeness (excluding a quicky)))


 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:40 pm
jebrick wrote:((size 2 please not size 5 . Should it not last sun? What good is 2 minutes of largeness (excluding a quicky)))

((Size 2 would be about Fiona’s size…9 feet, give or take. The giants around here are Size +5…about 20 feet tall. And I think Diameter or longer duration lasts until you leave the Magic realm.))

((Oh, and Fiona has Sta +3…she doesn’t do quickies  ))



 jebrick » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:50 pm
MuHe to enlarge Javques’ bow base 3 touch + 1 diameter, +1 size 

1d10=9 + Mu 9 + He 8 + Stam 1 + aura 12 = 39

Arrows would be a bit trickier. would it be T:Group as it is effecting arrows and quiver.



 Jonathan.Link » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:58 pm
T group would certainly make it easier, allowing you to do 10/100/1000 at a time based on modifications to the size increment.


 Jonathan.Link » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:23 pm
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:
gerg wrote:We’ll live with it then. Unless anyone else has ideas….

Edited to add: Hmm, what about sponting another Muto Corpus spell on herself? It would need to affect a being of Size +8, but that scales up faster than I thought: basically I’d need to add +3 magnitudes for Size, which is probably doable. Base 3, +1 Diam, +3 size is level 15, so far, to shrink myself a little bit. If I wanted to shrink myself from Size +8 to Size +5, what would that be – a level 20 spell? level 25?

((What about sponting an Unravelling the Fabric of Corpus? Target level is 38, so you’d need a spell level of 28 – die roll. Tranquillina has -3 + 14 + 5 + 12, plus (I think) 5 for being Touch instead of Voice range? So, a total of 33 + die roll. Fiona has Sta 3 + Pe 5 + Vi 6 + 12 = 26. Isen looks like he has Sta 1 + Pe 6 + Vi 4 + Aura 12 = 23. Kind of a long shot, regardless.  ))

Ruminated on this a bit…
Let’s do this a bit differently…
Fiona needs to give me an awareness check… And pending that, I’ll have Tranquillina do a check to stop her spell. Fiona’s Awareness roll will determine Tranquillina’s roll to properly dissipate the vast Corpus power she’s seeming to draw in… Yeah, I’m treating this like a botch to some extent…



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:58 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:
gerg wrote:We’ll live with it then. Unless anyone else has ideas….

Edited to add: Hmm, what about sponting another Muto Corpus spell on herself? It would need to affect a being of Size +8, but that scales up faster than I thought: basically I’d need to add +3 magnitudes for Size, which is probably doable. Base 3, +1 Diam, +3 size is level 15, so far, to shrink myself a little bit. If I wanted to shrink myself from Size +8 to Size +5, what would that be – a level 20 spell? level 25?

((What about sponting an Unravelling the Fabric of Corpus? Target level is 38, so you’d need a spell level of 28 – die roll. Tranquillina has -3 + 14 + 5 + 12, plus (I think) 5 for being Touch instead of Voice range? So, a total of 33 + die roll. Fiona has Sta 3 + Pe 5 + Vi 6 + 12 = 26. Isen looks like he has Sta 1 + Pe 6 + Vi 4 + Aura 12 = 23. Kind of a long shot, regardless.  ))

Ruminated on this a bit…
Let’s do this a bit differently…
Fiona needs to give me an awareness check… And pending that, I’ll have Tranquillina do a check to stop her spell. Fiona’s Awareness roll will determine Tranquillina’s roll to properly dissipate the vast Corpus power she’s seeming to draw in… Yeah, I’m treating this like a botch to some extent…

((Are we talking about Fiona’s spell(s) to reduce Tranquillina in size? ))

((Per 0 + Awareness 3 + die roll of 4 = 7.))



 Jonathan.Link » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:07 pm
Ok, so I missed your other post, that you shrunk her down to size in a couple of steps. Umm, nevermind.

The Blacksmith embiggens all the other equipment that the magi haven’t already done, including their clothes.

“Have fun storming the volcano.” He waves at the group departing.



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:29 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:Ok, so I missed your other post, that you shrunk her down to size in a couple of steps. Umm, nevermind.

The Blacksmith embiggens all the other equipment that the magi haven’t already done, including their clothes.

“Have fun storming the volcano.” He waves at the group departing.

Fiona stands next to the Blacksmith as she watches them leave. She sincerely hopes that they find Marcus alive and well, and that they return unharmed and soon.

She then turns to the Blacksmith. "I can’t really stay very long…a couple of hours at the most. Isen has expressed an interest in reforging himself, as Silviatos and I have done. I didn’t go into much detail about the process with him, since it seems to be different for everyone."



 Jonathan.Link » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:14 pm
“I’m sure he’ll figure it out. He says in a way that seems as if he’s not terribly concerned about that, and quietly takes Fiona’s hands and leads her into his hidden domain. Have you given thought to the 101 pawns of vis contained within your body?

never awarded Vis in Blacksmith thread. I might be double dipping here, but I’ll do it in the other thread. Note magi will only get the vis, as, to me, it requires actions of Hermetic import. Anyway… 

 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:25 pm
((So, that’s five from the Land of Giants and five from Don’t Forget?))

“Not really,” she says as she moves against him and wraps her arms around him, leaning her head on his chest. At least he wasn’t afraid of her, and found her attractive and desirable, and she wishes more people would.

((Just looked up the rules for advancement with vis that you mentioned at the end of the Land of Giants. Since Venus’ Blessing is a Minor General Virtue, would that be allowable?))



 Jonathan.Link » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:29 pm
((That’s fine, given the format of this saga, let’s let it blossom during Praxiteles initial visit.))


The Fixer » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:14 am
!!! You guys wrote a lot!!! T-T
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:When Isen casts his spell, Fiona smiles appreciatively. "Too bad that’s not real,“ she says as she reaches over to stroke the illusion’s arm. Once she makes contact with it, her smile grows broader.”Hellooooooo, Giant."

Well, thanks. But I’ll be better able to surprise our ennemies this way
(Yes, Isen can be focused, monomaniacal and quite oblivious.. A man, one would say )
If Diameter durations spells are permanent, too, Isen will do just that. Fatigueless casting = no botch chance 
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:She then makes quick introductions to everyone who hadn’t been before, saving Isen for last. "When this affair is over, I believe you and he have a bit to discuss, if you find you have the time." She gives the Blacksmith a wink.

Jonathan.Link wrote:“Well, I don’t share Apollodorus’s predilections…”

Isen seems…  
Err… No, that’s not that at all, I can assure you.

He will look at tranquillina and Fiona’s multiple spellcasting with befuddlement, waiting patiently until everyone’s ready.



 Jonathan.Link » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:38 am
((No one said anything about storming the volcano? I am disappoint.))


 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:13 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:((No one said anything about storming the volcano? I am disappoint.))

((Fiona’s got an entirely different kind of volcano to deal with  ))



 Jonathan.Link » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:29 pm
A number of ZZ Top songs are now running through my head…


 gerg » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:17 pm
((oh I missed this before))
Jonathan.Link wrote:The Blacksmith embiggens all the other equipment that the magi haven’t already done, including their clothes. "Have fun storming the volcano." He waves at the group departing.

Think this group of ersatz giants will ever get started? Tranquillina bemoans to herself, It would take a miracle.
“Ignitio, if I may,” she says tersely, laying a fingertip upon the drake’s tail. Using bigbig words and gestures (ok, then she lays the fingertip), she attempts to use Eye of the Sage to see Marcus and what’s around him. ((Sta -3 + In 6 + Co 27 + words/gestures 2 + Talisman (eyes) 6 + Mastery 1 + aura 12 (?) + stress die 5 = 56. Penetration: 56 – 30 + (Penetration 2 + Mastery 1) x (1 + Arcane Connection 4 + name 1) = 26 + 3 × 6 = 44.))



 Jonathan.Link » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:25 pm
Mrcus is sitting criss-cross applesauce1 in a confined area. Everyonce in a while there is a flash of bright reddish light.
How long is Tranquillina going to concentrate?

, as much as anyone can do that when their legs end at the knee.



 gerg » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:07 pm
Hmmm, I guess she’ll concentrate a minute or two. (Concentration isn’t her forte to begin with, and in her mind a spell should just last as long as it needs to by itself.) Plus Ignitio may or may not like the touching part.
But she will shoot the second barrel of her scrying shotgun: The Ear for Distant Voices, again using the drake as an AC. ((Sta 3 + In 6 + Im 10 + words/gestures 2 + Mastery 1 + aura 12 + stress die 9  Vis Allergy 1** = 36. Penetration 36 – 20 + bonus 18 as before* = 34.)) If the spell works, she’ll again concentrate for just a minute or two, unless there’s some reason to continue like an ongoing conversation.

  • I’m cheating a little bit here. I have marked down Still Casting as my Mastery Ability for The Ear for Distant Voices, but I think I chose that back when I thought it was a local eavesdropping spell like Whispering Winds. To me, any spell using an Arcane Connection would benefit most from the Penetration Mastery Ability, and it makes sense for me to make that change. Except of course I’m trying to make it exactly when it’s useful, which is kind of douchy of me. If that’s uncool, the penetration is 28 instead of 34.
    • unless Ignitio’s Magic Might is higher than 25

“I can see Marcus, sitting cross-legged and still, in … perhaps a small cell,” she reports to the others after the first spell, choking a little bit as the supernatural taste of Ignitio’s vis hits her throat.“The lighting is poor, but there are occasional flashes of … fire? illuminating him. He does not seem to be physically harmed.”



 Jonathan.Link » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:16 pm
Tranquillina sees him start to scratch out a message, “Bitter Taste of…” but then her concentration fails.

When the Ear for Distant Voices kicks in Tranquillina can hear a voice whispering. "Better spell. There are 8 fire giants that have me locked away. The “regular” giant chief has a device that can bring you to the volcano. When you arrive, be prepared for battle. I will attempt to mount a diversion, contact me again right before your arrive to coordinate. My magic is completely ineffective against them, though. I can escape my present circumstance, but we need the device you’ll use to get here to get back."



 gerg » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:17 pm
((This is getting exciting!))

Tranquillina gasps at the unexpected information, and her concentration on the second spell lapses. She sits there, pausing in thought (probably annoyingly long), putting the pieces of the puzzle together as best she can. Whistling appreciatively, she murmurs, "That Marcus is a clever lad."

Finally acknowledging the others, Tranquillina explains. "Marcus has put himself under the effect of an old Quaesitorial spell, Bitter Taste of Betrayal, which my House helped them invent to aid in their investigations. Perhaps he will have me Marched for this particular betrayal later,“ she quips, ”but for the moment, he was able to detect my spells and, knowing we were listening, give us valuable intelligence."

“It seems Marcus has gotten himself imprisoned in a volcano, guarded by eight fire giants. There is a device of some sort that can transport us to his place of capture, and out again; but the device is in the hands of another band of giants … um, he called them ‘regular’ giants, so non-fiery I suppose. The proposed plan is to acquire this transportation device, then bespell Marcus again in warning so that he can mount a diversion as we enter, ready for a fight. I take it his Ignem prowess is of no use against his captors.”

Tranquillina ponders for a moment. "I believe I can communicate a short message to him. What ought we say, other than that we understand?"



The Fixer » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:10 am
Isen is glad to know marcus is okay, and grateful for the information.

That’s pretty good news. Ask him if he knows where this device can be found, or where can we find info on it. Just knowing it exists is useless to us. Also, any information on our ennemies might be good. Their number and strengths, for exemple.

I realize you’ve got no way to communicate with him. Can you spont a simple Creo Imaginem spell at this range, or do you need me to do it? Working together, I can ask questions, and you can get the answers.



 gerg » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:44 am
Tranquillina sniffs haughtily (and much more loudly than she would in non-giant form). "I do not need anyone else to communicate with Marcus, as I believe I already said,“ she huffs at Isen. ”But if you would prefer to spont a simple spell of your own, by all means, be my guest." She motions peremptorily towards the drake, maintaining eye contact with the blond magus.

((Don’t worry Fixer, you’re all good – Tranq’s just a little delicate sometimes  ))



 The Fixer » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:04 am
Isen looks at tranquillina’s coldly

You would do well to speak kindly to those who offer their help, lest you turn friends into ennemies.
Now, if you’re fine tiring yourself and risking twilight to cast 2 simple spells*, as you say by all means, please, do. I wouldn’t dream of depriving you of this please.

  • I’m figuring, a CrIm base 1 at AC range, conc/diameter to create words (complexity? Dunno, don’t have the books, but that’s at least 1+4+1= lvl 10), plus rigth afterwards sponting again Ear for Distant Voices, since she can’t just wait 2 minutes to rest between posing questions and getting answers.


     gerg » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:17 am
    Tranquillina grumbles at Isen’s plan, but even an eighteen-foot-tall pouting maga can’t change the fact that it makes the most sense. She touches Ignitio’s tail and casts again The Ear for Distant Voices*, now ready to concentrate as best she can to maintain the spell during the “conversation”. "I will repeat his words aloud immediately only if you need the answer to decide what question to next ask … this way the spell will last as long as possible." ((Stress die is a 2; doing the same calculation yields a Penetration total of 27.))
  • She knows this spell formulaically. Pretty nifty, eh? Isen’s point is still valid: two magi, one Dur: Conc spell each.


     The Fixer » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:50 am
    Isen will repeat his questions in order:
    - Does Marcus know where is the device that can transport us to him?
    - What is this device? What does it look like?*
    - Does he knows what and who guards the device?
    - How many giants are there? I guess they’re immune to fire, but is there some other info? Like, do they seem organized or not?
    - Is there anything to expect besides the giants?
  • Yeah, we’d look stupid if passing right next to it…


     Jonathan.Link » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:04 am
    And how is Isen asking the question? And does his spell penetrate? He’s basically creating the effect at Marcus, and it requires penetration. I’m doing this this time, I don’t want to have to do it in the future.

CrIm Base 1, Create an “image” that affects a single sense (hearing). We will not do complexity
R:Arc, D:Conc, T:Ind, that’s a total of 4+1=5; 5+5 (Base 1)=10
Isen’s Casting Score is
(Cr 19 + Im 2 + Sta 1 + aura 12)/2=17
He has a total of 22 (43/2=21.5 which rounds to 22)
22-10+( Penetration 2 Specialty 1)x (1 AC 4 + name 1)= 12 + 3 * 6 = 30
The spell penetrates.
The Fixer wrote:Isen will repeat his questions in order:
- Does Marcus know where is the device that can transport us to him?

It’s with the giant chief who lives in the hall where Jurgen and Captivius were being held.
The Fixer wrote:- What is this device? What does it look like?*

“It’s a long, silver chain.”
The Fixer wrote:- Does he knows what and who guards the device?

((Already answered, twice.))
The Fixer wrote:- How many giants are there? I guess they’re immune to fire, but is there some other info? Like, do they seem organized or not?

“Here with me? At least five. There, i couldn’t tell you.”
The Fixer wrote:- Is there anything to expect besides the giants?

“Not that I know of.”

  • Yeah, we’d look stupid if passing right next to it…[/quote]


    The Fixer » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:26 am
    (Oh. I thought tranquillina was gonna cast the 2 spells after what we said, this is why I rolled nothing.)


    Jonathan.Link » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:28 am
    The Fixer wrote:(Oh. I thought tranquillina was gonna cast the 2 spells after what we said, this is why I rolled nothing.)

She can’t maintain concentration on two spells at the same time. And gerg was pretty clear:
gerg wrote:“I will repeat his words aloud immediately only if you need the answer to decide what question to next ask … this way the spell will last as long as possible.” 
[…]

  • She knows this spell formulaically. Pretty nifty, eh? Isen’s point is still valid: two magi, one Dur: Conc spell each.


     gerg » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:41 pm
    She can barely maintain concentration on one spell at the same time 
    But Tranquillina was giving mixed messages, sorry about that.

She faithfully relays Marcus’s answers to the others present. Tranquillina’s magical eavesdropping hears the quiet disembodied words Isen’s spell creates at Marcus, and also Marcus’s murmured replies; to her slight embarrassment, she finds herself whispering his words as well.



 The Fixer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:27 pm
So, does anyone know where this hall is? Fiona? Is it heavily guarded? Can we approach it stealthily or not?


 Jonathan.Link » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:45 pm
If the grogs can speak enough Latin, and they were the same grogs brought the last time, which I think they are…they know…


 gerg » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:53 pm
Falko (who was there last time) has Latin 3, so he’s probably good enough to describe it. If I remember correctly:
“The approach, it is long, but there’s cover of forest – most of the way, but then close to the end – palisades rise, and some sentries keep watch – and trust me, those giants don’t label us ‘friend’.”
Falko is rather proud of keeping the whole description in dactylic metre; others might swear there started to be a hint of a melody by the end.


 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:29 pm
The Fixer wrote:So, does anyone know where this hall is? Fiona? Is it heavily guarded? Can we approach it stealthily or not?

((Fiona turned and went back inside with the Blacksmith when the group started to leave…and she probably hasn’t noticed that they never made it out of the garden. Soo….she’s not there  ))))



 The Fixer » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:44 am
gerg wrote:Falko (who was there last time) has Latin 3, so he’s probably good enough to describe it. If I remember correctly:
“The approach, it is long, but there’s cover of forest – most of the way, but then close to the end – palisades rise, and some sentries keep watch – and trust me, those giants don’t label us ‘friend’.”
Falko is rather proud of keeping the whole description in dactylic metre; others might swear there started to be a hint of a melody by the end.

Thank you for your help.
Thinking out loud
Approaching under the forest cover is good. It leaves us at least the element of surprise. Now, there are 2 options. Stage a diversion so as to easily enter the camp, or use yet more stealth. I would favor the second option, of course. This should be possible, using a combination of Imaginem Magics and mundane stealth. We can maybe even allow to pierce the palissade at a chosen point, which should ease things even more.

To tranquillina
What do you think of it? have you some spells suitable for this? I’m thinking that we could take some prop, and use Creo Imaginem magics to give it the look and feel of that medaillon once we find it. That way, we won’t alter the giants, nor will we have them coming after us for it. That is, of course, assuming we manage to steal it without being detected.

Now, fiona, where is that girl? We go of on a rescue mission, and first thing she does is dissapear on us?
He was so focused on the search for informations that he didn’t even notice fiona wandering of 



 gerg » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:18 am
Happy that this dangerous mage is not only on her side but asking her to weigh in on potential plans, Tranquillina ponders her capabilities. "Being this size negates many of my spells … but I believe I could still render myself invisible, for example. And yes, I could create an illusion of the silver chain to leave in place of the real thing, if it came to that – I am sure you could as well."

She thinks a little bit more. "If we did want to incorporate stealth all the way through the plan – perhaps in concert with a diversion, as you say – it might be better if I returned myself to normal size. That way I could use my spells of instant transportation, for example. Of course, it would greatly increase my danger, were a giant to actually assail me."

((If I didn’t write this before, Tranquillina definitely picks up an Arcane connection to outside the Blacksmith’s house – a Magic rock or some such.))



 The Fixer » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:55 am
I don’t know.

I’m quite tempted to be stealthy all the way. Yet, this might be difficult to do. I don’t know the place. If it ain’t possible, it might be better for us to look at giants, but with different appearances.
For exemple, if I cast on myself the illusion of an old giantess, they might search me if I am spotted, but not her.

So we could, for exemple, do most of the travel as giantess, come back to our normal size near the camp, which will make us harder to spot, infiltrate it under the cover of the night and invisibility, steal the chain, and replace it by an illusion. Using translocation to enter and escape the camp being, as you notice, a good idea.
(Isen will do the same, although he sure hopes he won’t have to abandon the grogs)



 gerg » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:22 pm
“Is the installation we seek to infiltrate a simple residence, or a war camp?” Tranquillina poses. "If the latter, the giants would probably search anyone, even a friendly-looking giantess."

“In fact, if she were too friendly looking, they might search her all the more eagerly,” Falko mutters to Jehanne, who laughs far more loudly than appropriate. Falko shrinks back under Tranquillina’s glare, although Jehanne seems oblivious.

“I wish I could transport the entire group at once,” the maga laments; "then we could sneak one person in for an Arcane Connection, and return suddenly in force. But I fear I am not strong enough, even if we were all normal-sized."

((Looking at his character sheet, I think Isen could ceremonially spont a spell that teleported a normal-sized group 50 paces to an Arcane Connection location. But without the ceremony, it would be a long shot – so how would we get out?))

“Perhaps we need to make the main choice: stealth, or force, to get to the chain we need? If by force, then the forest itself will probably provide enough cover on the way.” Tranquillina knows which option she is more suited for … but having several enlarged soldiers around puts the other option within the realm of possibility, at least.



 The Fixer » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:34 am
gerg wrote:“Is the installation we seek to infiltrate a simple residence, or a war camp?” Tranquillina poses. "If the latter, the giants would probably search anyone, even a friendly-looking giantess."

Oh, I didn’t intend us to enter the camp openly. More sneakily, under the cover of night and magic. The Giant look is for travel.
gerg wrote:“I wish I could transport the entire group at once,” the maga laments; "then we could sneak one person in for an Arcane Connection, and return suddenly in force. But I fear I am not strong enough, even if we were all normal-sized."

Have no regrets. When infiltrating the camp, the less we are, the better, if we are to be sneaky.
In fact… I think sending a grog in might do the trick. With any luck, we can bind his image and voice to an item we’ll keep, thus allowing us to see and hear him while he’ll be invisible and inaudible to the giants. And if we take an AC to him, we can come to his rescue if need be.
gerg wrote:“Perhaps we need to make the main choice: stealth, or force, to get to the chain we need? If by force, then the forest itself will probably provide enough cover on the way.” Tranquillina knows which option she is more suited for … but having several enlarged soldiers around puts the other option within the realm of possibility, at least.

I’m in the mind that open, direct confrontation should be avoided if possible, unless you is sure to win. And even then. All kind of things can happen in a battle, and you can never be sure to get out of it alive, or that your ennemy doesn’t have some hidden trick. My master… He’s more the backstabbing kind, yet I can’t fault his effectiveness.
We don’t know how many giants there are at this camp, nor their strenghts, nor if they can muster reinforcments or alert people we would not want knowing we’re here. So I say we try stealth, and resort on force if it fails.



gerg » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:22 pm
Tranquillina is relieved that she will not be part of a frontal assault on a fortified position guarded by denizens of the Magic Realm … although a small part of her is, to be honest, a little disappointed. Still, she knows how frail the body can be, and doesn’t want to imagine what a solid blow from a giant would do to her.

((OOC is easier here: she likes the redshirt grog idea, although she points out he would be limited in his actions – he could steal an item, but not render it invisible or leave a replacement. We could indeed keep ACs to him for our own transport back and forth, although it would take a sponted spell to spirit him out magically. We could possibly send Ignitio instead of a grog?))

((In terms of spells, she discusses with Isen a version of The Captive Voice, but Touch instead of Voice and Diameter instead of Sun, for a level 15 spell – should be quite spontable here, and time to rest afterwards. Instead of putting the grog’s voice in a bag, attach it to a tree stump somewhere we can stay safely. And a second, similar sponted spell for his image in addition to his voice. He’ll still cast a shadow, so he’d have to be careful. Also, we’d be able to see and hear him, but not what he’s seeing and hearing (although Tranquillina can use her eavesdropping spell, if she can keep concentration on it). Tranquillina also mentions offhandedly that she is able to dismiss Imaginem spells with ease, when it becomes necessary.))



Jonathan.Link » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:14 pm
((So who’s doing what?))


The Fixer » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:34 am
Sorry, falling behind.

We’ll travel as giants towards the camp. 

Once near it, the goal is to use the forest cover to come near it, and send an (essentially) invisible grog in it.
gerg wrote:((In terms of spells, she discusses with Isen a version of The Captive Voice, but Touch instead of Voice and Diameter instead of Sun, for a level 15 spell – should be quite spontable here, and time to rest afterwards. Instead of putting the grog’s voice in a bag, attach it to a tree stump somewhere we can stay safely. And a second, similar sponted spell for his image in addition to his voice. He’ll still cast a shadow, so he’d have to be careful. Also, we’d be able to see and hear him, but not what he’s seeing and hearing (although Tranquillina can use her eavesdropping spell, if she can keep concentration on it). Tranquillina also mentions offhandedly that she is able to dismiss Imaginem spells with ease, when it becomes necessary.))

Yes, this is what I thought (I guess, since I don’t remember what that spell does, but judging by your descrption, this is it)

I figured that we could have an AC to the grog, jump in when he’s found it, cast the needed spells, and jump out, while he’d make his exit on his own, just liek the entrance.

I’d be against using Ignitio, due to his MR, unless you’ve got an idea?



 gerg » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:09 pm
Okay, so just to confirm: we all stay giant and sneak through the forest until we’re as close to the giant fort as we can sneakily get.
Then: we kill the illusion on Isen, and we MuCo both Tranquillina and the Chosen Grog down to a manageable size (easier to cast spells on).
Then: we spont image-stealing and voice-stealing spells on the CG. Each mage takes an Arcane Connection to him. He sneaks around until he finds where the chain is.
Then: the mages come, invisible and all sneaky like, and get the chain/leave an illusion in its place, and use ACs to teleport out again. CG sneaks his way out.

I see many things that could go wrong. Let’s do it anyway  
If you agree, charge ahead!



Jonathan.Link » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:06 pm
So, who’s playing the grog, and which grog is he, and does he have any stealth to speak of? 


 The Fixer » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:00 am
JL: Sorry, no idea. I don’t even remember what grogs are with us 

Not-so Quick search : 
Isen: Bernard, Brionne.
Tranquillina: Jehanne, Falko
Fiona: ???
Jacques: Orrand 

Orrand isn’t very stated, so it must be one of the other 4.
gerg wrote:Okay, so just to confirm: we all stay giant and sneak through the forest until we’re as close to the giant fort as we can sneakily get.
Then: we kill the illusion on Isen, and we MuCo both Tranquillina and the Chosen Grog down to a manageable size (easier to cast spells on).
Then: we spont image-stealing and voice-stealing spells on the CG. Each mage takes an Arcane Connection to him. He sneaks around until he finds where the chain is.
Then: the mages come, invisible and all sneaky like, and get the chain/leave an illusion in its place, and use ACs to teleport out again. CG sneaks his way out.

I see many things that could go wrong. Let’s do it anyway  
If you agree, charge ahead!

Yes, save that, unless the grog is discovered (in which case we need to use force, there’s no need for all the magi to teleport inside the camp. One is enough.

And of course several things will go wrong  No plan survives the first contact with the ennemy.



 gerg » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:36 am
I can’t find stats for Brionne. Of the others, Falko handily has the best Stealth. He’s also got great Quickness which could be useful. Plus he’ll be more fun to listen to 

Casting time for Tranquillina (we can rest two minutes between each spell).
Spell to shrink Falko: As Preternatural Growth and Shrinking, but -1 magnitude for Diameter instead of Sun, +2 to affect a Size +5 target, for at least level 20; rolling up to reduce his size as far as possible, but not below 0. Casting Total: Sta -3 + Mu 9 + Co 27 + Talisman attunement (Corpus) 3 + aura 12 + stress die 4 = 52, halved is 26. Level 20 would shrink by -2, so level 25 would shrink by -4? That makes Falko size +1, which is small enough to cast normal Corpus spells on – probably good enough.
Spell to shrink herself: As above, but an additional -1 magnitude for Personal instead of Touch, for at least level 15; rolling up to reduce her size as far as possible, but not below 0. Casting Total: Sta -3 + Mu 9 + Co 27 + Talisman attunement (transform self) 4 + aura 12 + stress die 6 = 55, halved is 28. Level 15 would shrink by -2, so level 25 should shrink her all the way to Size 0.
Isen, you do want the illusion on you destroyed, yes? Assuming so, Tranquillina has Unraveling the Form of Imaginem as a formulaic, at level 10: Sta -3 + Pe 14 + Vi 5 + Mastery 1 + aura 12 +stress die 8 = 37. Cancels an Imaginem spell of level 10 + Unraveling 3x(Mastery 1) + 10 + stress die 4 = 27, easily beating the illusion’s spell level of 5 (hmm, maybe Isen could have cancelled this himself).
Tranquillina also has Veil of Invisibility: Sta -3 + Pe 14 + Im 10 + Mastery 3 + Talisman attunement (suppress image) 5 + aura 12 + stress die 3 = 44, good enough.
And when it comes time, she’ll cast The Ear for Distant Voices to eavesdrop on Falko’s surroundings: Sta -3 + In 6 + Im 10 + Mastery 1 + aura 12 + stress die 9 = 35, good enough.
(Edited to add: eep, all of those rolls should have included a -1 penalty for her Vis Allergy. Nothing was on the edge though.)

Isen and Tranquillina will both take a hair from Falko (or something else easier to keep track of?), and a stone from the ground at their setup point in the forest near the giants’ fort.
I assume Isen will spont the spells that capture Falko’s image and voice. Then we should let Falko practice for a few minutes and make sure everybody gets used to what’s happening. We should warn Falko in particular that he’ll still cast a shadow.
Isen, will you make yourself invisible, or do you want Tranquillina to do that?



 gerg » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:30 am
Also, since invisible people with shadows will prefer darkness, Tranquillina will cast Eyes of the Cat on herself and Falko. Even without duration reduced to Diameter it’s only a level 5 spell, which she can cast with non-fatiguing sponts: Sta -3 + Mu 9 + An requisite 8 + Talisman attunement (eyes) 6 + aura 12 = 32, fifthed is 6.


Jonathan.Link » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:06 am
Alright travel to the Steading of the Hill Giant Chief giant chief’s hall is without difficulty. There are a few farmers that they spy, but they keep to themselves, and no apparent patrols on the road.

The charred remains of the palisade is there and no work appears to be going on to repair it. 

Falko is invisibled and then…



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:35 am
The Fixer wrote:JL: Sorry, no idea. I don’t even remember what grogs are with us 

Not-so Quick search : 
Isen: Bernard, Brionne.
Tranquillina: Jehanne, Falko
Fiona: ???
Jacques: Orrand

Fiona’s sitting this thread out (well, actually, the player is, but still), except for enjoying her time with the Blacksmith, but her new shield grog Jehanne is with the group.
gerg wrote:I can’t find stats for Brionne. Of the others, Falko handily has the best Stealth. He’s also got great Quickness which could be useful. Plus he’ll be more fun to listen to 

Brionne’s stats are here, but I don’t know if he’s been advanced since 1220. He’s not on the Wiki yet, though.



 The Fixer » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:00 am
gerg wrote:[*]Isen, you do want the illusion on you destroyed, yes? (…) (hmm, maybe Isen could have cancelled this himself)

Yes, he will.
Perdo 6 + Vi 4 + Sta 2 + Aura 12 + Talisman 3 = 27 / 5 = lvl 05 without fatigue.
Using the general guideline to "cancel effects of a speficif type with level less than (level + 4 mag + a stress die) means that, even if going for touch range, he can cancel Imaginem spells of lvl (5 + 3 mag + stress = 20 + stress), which is enough.
gerg wrote:I assume Isen will spont the spells that capture Falko’s image and voice

Yes, he will.
Isen ReIm is 26 + 2 + Sta 2 + Aura 12 = 42.

Using ReIm base 4 (make an object appear, to one sense, as it it’s attached to an object defined at the time of casting), +1 touch, +diam, + 1 to affect a changing image, +1 to have it change along the object, = lvl 20.
He’s gonna use the same one with sound, only with duration Concentration, so that he may drop it if needed.

WTF? Invisible castle is no longer registered domain? And I haven’t found a diceroller that allow me to link results 
It should be ok, but there’s always a slight botch chance.
gerg wrote:Isen, will you make yourself invisible, or do you want Tranquillina to do that?

He’ll hesitate a little. He doesn’t like to lower his parma like this, but he sucks so much at PeVi, he’s not sure he can do it. He won’t say this to tranquillina, of course.
Just do it. I prefer to avoid spontaneous magic, given the chance. Thanks.



 gerg » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:09 pm
((Hey, cool, it’s already a Touch range spell!))
“I understand your caution with spontaneous magic; but I know this effect well,” Tranquillina reassures Isen, placing her hand upon his shoulder. She then casts Veil of Invisibility upon him, without words or gestures just to show off.  ((Sta -3 + Pe 14 + Im 10 + Mastery 3 (no words/gestures penalty) + aura 12 = 36 even without the die, and there shouldn’t be a botch chance.))


 The Fixer » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:02 am
gerg wrote:She then casts Veil of Invisibility upon him, without words or gestures just to show off. 

Of course, he’ll say nothing.
But in his foremind? Luckily, he can ascertain at once that he’s invisible, and thus that she has cast the right spell, because, otherwise, there would have been no way for him to know what she’s done, which would have made him very uncomfortable 

So, I guess we are set, then.

Oh, invisible castle seems to work again 
So, roll for the 2 Rego Imaginem spells:
- Sight: 1d10=9
- Sound: 1d10=3
Both fly nicely 



 Jonathan.Link » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:14 pm
Gerg, why don’t you run Falko…
Everyone else is covered up by other threads, and I don’t think it will interfere too much otherwise.


 gerg » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:14 am
((Roger that.))

Falko is moderately freaked out by the whole image-and-voice theft. "Bless my soul," he says as he stares at himself, hovering above a tree stump, saying his own words back to him while he can hear nothing from himself. Tranquillina leads him back and forth around the nearby trees for a few minutes, until he gets more used to it; she points more than once to his shadow, warning him against being too bold in well-lit empty stretches.

As night falls, Falko starts creeping across the stretch of land between the forest’s edge and the charred palisades. He doesn’t go that much faster than he would if he had not been magicked up – although his ability to see the terrain in the dusk is far better than he is used to. "I’m alone, but I don’t care,“ he sings without being able to hear himself at all, ”I strut right by with my sword in the air…."



 Jonathan.Link » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:46 pm
Falko makes his way inside the palisade, he waits for a bit, and the door opens and a giant comes out. He is able to dart through the open door just in time. The stairwell is partially blocked by a giant piece of wood, but it has been hacked out well enough with a make shift stairway. Making his way upstairs ther are four rooms with closed doors…


 gerg » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:05 pm
Tranquillina is now eavesdropping on Falko’s surroundings. If Isen wants to spont a spell so that there’s two-way communication, he may, but let’s not make any noise at Falko’s location…! Of course they can both see his image and hear him, although much of the latter is bad singing in Flemish. Speaking of which:

“One, two, three, four, who knows what’s behind the door….” Falko chants without hearing himself, rubbing his chin in thought. He is truly enjoying not having to censor his musical impulses behind enemy lines.
How is this hallway lit? The poorer, the better…. Falko takes note of a spot on this near end of the hallway where his shadow is least noticeable. Then, on the theory that the valuable stuff is behind the most defenses, he goes to the fourth door, swallows hard, then knocks firmly upon it. Immediately he tiptoes back to the shadowy spot, from which he can see and hear the door he knocked on; in particular he tries to listen to whether any locks were engaged. ((Awareness roll for the latter: … you know what, never mind, he’s Per -3 and Poor Hearing  He’ll stick to seeing whether anyone opens the door.))



 Jonathan.Link » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:27 pm
Well…no one’s opening any doors…
It’s either pick a door or wait…
If Falko picks a door, pick 1-4, or option number 5, for waiting…


 gerg » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:18 pm
No problem, that’s good information. Falko remembers he’s supposed to be communicating with the magi, and starts describing where he’s come. "Nobody came when I knocked on the door; hopefully that means nobody will get upset when I open it. Just in case, though, I’ll have a diversion ready." He takes a silver penny from a pocket and holds it in his throwing hand. (I guess his sword’s sheathed right now.)

Falko picks door number 4; he turns the knob (or whatever) and pushes it open wide enough to go through. Unless he sees someone staring right at him, he’ll quickly step through, but hold the door open with one hand as he looks around the new room with his back against the wall.
(If that door is locked, he’ll try number 3, then 2, then 1 until the first one that opens.)



 Jonathan.Link » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:30 pm
Door number four appears to be a sitting room. There are many stuffed animals of gargantuan size on display in the room… Nothing looks like what’s been described. There is also a human sized writing desk in the room, which goes without notice for a while. On the fourth time he passes it he notices that the desk doesn’t fit with the scale of other furniture in the room.


 gerg » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:34 am
((When you say “nothing looks like what’s been described”, what do you mean? Did Falko get a description of something?))

Falko closes the door behind him. "The last door leads to … a child’s play room? A giant child, that is,“ Falko reports, poking a couple of the stuffed animals to see if there’s anything strange about them. After a few minutes of searching, he notices the writing desk. ”There is one odd thing – the desk, here, it’s not the right size for a giant."

Falko goes through the desk drawers, the human-sized chair, and so on, seeing if there’s anything interesting to be found.

If he runs out of things to do in the room, he’ll go back into the hall and see what’s behind the third door.



 Jonathan.Link » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:03 am
Sorry, I figured he was instructed to look for the long silver chain….

There’s a supply of parchment, ink and quills, a couple of pieces of leather and some tools to make a rudimentary binding, although Falko might not recognize it, he can describe it well enough to Isen and Tranquillina that they know what he’s seeing. The desk is not sized for a giant child, it is sized for an adult human. There’s nothing else in this room of note.



gerg » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:01 pm
((Oh I get it now … I thought you were saying that the whole setting wasn’t as described … but it’s just that there’s no chain around yet.))

As he finishes his fruitless search, Falko sings a little Flemish quatrain about strange markings on paper that magi seem to get so excited about. He sits in the chair for a moment, resting his invisible arms on the desk, noting that the size is perfect for him. Then he returns things to their original places and leaves the room – adopting a general strategy of pulling/pushing doors open to get a glimpse of what’s beyond, then moving quickly through the doorway and keeping his back to the near wall while he takes in the surroundings. "Here I go, opening the second-to-last door in the hallway," he says in Latin, doing so.



 Jonathan.Link » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:36 am
And behind door number three…

This room is rather large and appears to rap around the other room on its side, going behind it. There is a bed, and in the bed are two sleeping giants, or a giant and a giantess. Well they were sleeping, the process of opening the door wasn’t as quiet as Falko would have liked, and it creaked loudly. The giant is looking about, while the giantess has just rolled over and gone back to sleep. After a few moments of being frozen the giant goes back to sleep.

Additional activity in this room will require stealth rolls, because while Falko’s voice doesn’t make noise here, his footfalls and other noises do.



 gerg » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:19 pm
“Two giants in this room … a couple, perhaps. Sleeping,” Falko whispers. Then he squeezes his eyes shut for a moment. "Sleeeeeeeeeping!" he sings rebelliously.

He decides that the best chance of making it to the other side of the room, to see what else it holds besides what he can see from the door, is to tiptoe as quickly as possible. He keeps the coin in his hand, just in case…. ((Dex 1 + Stealth (quickly) 4 + stress die 8 = 13.))



 Jonathan.Link » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:28 pm
He makes it to the other side of the room…
No silver chain is visible. There are a two dressers, two armoire, a desk, and a nightstand on each side of the bed. The giant sits up looking around, but not focusing on the direction Falko is going, and Falko does notice a glint of silver around the neck of the giant. Awareness roll…


gerg » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:51 pm
((Per -3 (ow) + Awareness 3 + stress die 9 = 9, way to come through Falko!))


 Jonathan.Link » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:59 pm
Falko is able to figure out that his movement, despite his being really quiet, is creating just enough noise to cause the giant to wake back up; he won’t be surprised and prone if Tranquillina and Isen show up. Falko should probably stop moving around. Concentration +Stamina (yes!) for keeping still… First roll covers a 15 minute increment… Or call in the magus and maga and come what may…


 gerg » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:17 pm
“Lord, Lady, the male giant has something silver around his neck – maybe it’s the chain!” Falko reports. "But – seems like my moving around is keeping the male giant from sleeping soundly. I can’t imagine why – as far as I can tell I’ve been one hundred percent silent the whole time…. I’m going to try holding still for a while, see if he’ll drop back off. But if that doesn’t work … um, please be ready to get here quickly?"

As he concentrates on keeping his weight evenly distributed on his feet and not shifting around, Falko starts softly singing a Flemish lullaby over and over, his eyes fixed upon the pair in the bed.
((Sta 2 + Concentration 3 + stress die 7 = 12.))



 Jonathan.Link » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:36 pm
He’s able to stay still and quiet without effort… The giant lies back down, but Falko’s vantage point doesn’t give him a good look at the giant’s face to tell whether his eyes are open. No snoring sounds are heard. An Awareness EF 6 would be necessary to determine whether the giant is awake or asleep… Or wait for another stretch of time, with another Concentration + Stamina check to see if the giant starts snoring to confirm that it’s asleep.

So…here’s what the choices are:
Fail the Awareness check; the giant may or may not be asleep, the magi are called in.
Botch the awareness check, the giant is awake and feigning well, and there will not be any element of surprise.
Sneak into view, possibly spoiling the Giant’s sleep, but confirming his being awake or asleep.
Wait another 15 minutes, call them in.
Wait another 15 minutes, and do an awareness check hoping the EF drops, or can sneak into view. IF the giant is asleep, the EF on sneaking will drop…

That’s not the limit of choices, but the most obvious choices I can see…



 gerg » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:13 pm
If this isn’t the most surreal situation he’s ever been in – standing in a giant couple’s bedroom, barely able to see the top of the bed at all, invisible, free to talk and sing all he wants – it’s got to be in the top three. Falko decides he is perfectly happy practicing his lullabies for a little while longer. "I can’t tell whether he’s asleep or not … let’s give it some more time," he reports, before returning to his repertoire.
((Sta 2 + Concentration 3 + stress die 2 = 7.))

Back in the forest, Tranquillina lets laps her eavesdropping-on-the-surroundings spell (if she hadn’t already), for complete lack of suitability to the present situation. She motions Isen to follow her a few steps away from the tree stump caterwauling in Flemish. "The question we must answer, of course, is how to get the chain once we arrive,“ she offers. ”The physical spells I know will not affect someone so large; and the giant no doubt has magical resistance that would foil nearly any spontaneous spell I could cast directly upon him. I have learned a spell that would make him deathly afraid of the chain – or of anything we like – but it requires eye contact…. Do you have a way to take the chain by stealth? Or will it be, force?"

((If Falko needs an Awareness check, here we go: Per -3 + Awareness 3 + stress die 6 = 6. Factor in Poor Hearing’s -3 if appropriate.))



Jonathan.Link » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:27 pm
Falko developed a muscle cramp and stepped on a creaky floorboard, and the giant shot up in bed. The giant looked around for a bit, and then decided to get up. He sits at the desk, with his back to Falko, and lights a lamp… He pulls out a scroll from a cubby hole and sharpens a rather large quill and sets to work doing something on the scroll…

The chain’s clasp is clearly visible on his neck. Of course, his neck is 6 feet up in the air, when seated.



 jebrick » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:59 pm
Perhaps heat the chain so he takes it off? Could it be brought to us then?


 gerg » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:45 pm
“Uh oh, the giant is awake, repeat, the giant is awake,” Falko chants. "Something must have made a noise. He’s sitting at his desk now, writing a letter or something." Falko looks nervously at the lamp, then behind him to see whether his shadow is apparent or not.

Back in the forest, Tranquillina hears this update with Isen. "If the giant is sitting up, that changes the options. Do you want to try heating the chain, as you suggested? He then removes the chain, we make a duplicate, and switch them at an opportune moment?"



The Fixer » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:06 am
[quote=“gerg”]Back in the forest, Tranquillina lets laps her eavesdropping-on-the-surroundings spell (if she hadn’t already), for complete lack of suitability to the present situation. She motions Isen to follow her a few steps away from the tree stump caterwauling in Flemish. "The question we must answer, of course, is how to get the chain once we arrive,“ she offers. ”The physical spells I know will not affect someone so large; and the giant no doubt has magical resistance that would foil nearly any spontaneous spell I could cast directly upon him. I have learned a spell that would make him deathly afraid of the chain – or of anything we like – but it requires eye contact…. Do you have a way to take the chain by stealth? Or will it be, force?"(/quote]
Isen thinks a little
Not really, no. I can cast The Call to Slumber, but can I penetrate his Magical Resistance? I don’t know. I’d also have to go with soft words, which would lessen it further. 
I should be able to wound him and kill him, either through direct attack spells or by freezing his blood solid, yet I don’t think this would kill him at once, which means we’d have to deal with the giantess and any guards. I don’t think this is wise, not if we can avoid it.

I might be able to spont a spell to translocate the chain to my hand*, but I fear that the chain’s sudden disappearance might wake the giant.

  • Of not. Parma covers Personal items, making this impossible. Does Might? I can’t recall. If it does, forget it.

The giant waking up changes everything, though.
I don’t think I might heat up the chain. I’m not well-versed in Ignem. Worse, if I did, he would realize something is wrong.
As it is, I see 2 options: Either we wait and hope for him to sleep again, or we teleport in, I try to put him to sleep and, barring that, with strike with… Tranquillina! You know wizard’s communion! We can unite, which might give me the edge! Of course, we’ll need to steal something else as a distraction from our real goal, but this might be viable



 jebrick » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:27 am
Jacques has Wizard’s Communion at 20 ( sun duration)


 gerg » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:09 pm
“True, the three of us can cast a Wizard’s Communion … but to the end of jointly casting what spell?”
((Call to Slumber is level 10 – using WC would boost the Penetration by only 6 or so in the end….  ))


 jebrick » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:16 pm
Can Falko be patient enough to get a arcane connection from the giant? That would greatly aid any spell cast. 

((Has Isen learned Intangible tunnel yet??))



 The Fixer » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:10 am
gerg wrote:“True, the three of us can cast a Wizard’s Communion … but to the end of jointly casting what spell?”
((Call to Slumber is level 10 – using WC would boost the Penetration by only 6 or so in the end….  ))

Oh, silly me. 1st job getting at me. Although that’s already 1 mag, and can make all the difference between success and failure.

I didn’t realise Jacques was here. This is good.
jebrick wrote:Can Falko be patient enough to get a arcane connection from the giant? That would greatly aid any spell cast. 
((Has Isen learned Intangible tunnel yet??))

It would sure be the best thing to do. I don’t know how long he can endure before the giant gets back to sleep, though.
Can someone else cast either call of slumber on the giantess, or a spell to make her deaf to any sound? I fear we may have no choice but to attempt a quick strike.
(No  I could have cast one at touch range before falko went, but didn’t think of it)



 gerg » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:01 pm
((I thought about spells to make one or both the giants insensitive to touch, so that we could cast spells on them thereafter (if they were asleep) without waking them. Making them deaf is a similarly workable idea. But these spells would have to be sponted and penetrate MR. The letter that the giant is writing would work as an AC, for an Intangible Tunnel - if we can wait, or …))

“Well,” Tranquillina suggests reluctantly to Isen, "we could Leap to Falko invisibly; I could make a distraction – a noise in the hallway, for example – and you could use the letter as an Arcane Connection. And, worst case, engage or elude the giants … although I wouldn’t be of much help there, except perhaps to scare the giantess off. It would be nice to have Jacques there as well, but…."



 The Fixer » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:21 pm
Assuming we manage to translocate without stumbling on something on arrival. Yet, I agree, we may have no other choice.
I propose this: Since it is the middle of the night, we wait a little, see if he comes back to sleep. I know I would. If he doesn’t, we enter wizard’s communion , translocate, and I try to put him to sleep. If this fails, we strike. Do you have a means to put the room into darkness? I can cast Eyes of the Cat, which would give us an edge.

I feel… unworthy. I never thought this guy would wake up and rise so late, this is throwing everything out of whack. I should have prepared for this.



 jebrick » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:33 pm
Unless we are in an awful rush, I suggest that we pull back and go at a time of our choosing. Call this a scouting mission.

((right color this time  ))



 Jonathan.Link » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:41 pm
((The fact that time runs 7 times slower here should also be in the front of everyone’s mind. A day here is 7 days in the “real” world.))


 gerg » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:37 pm
((Jonathan’s right:)) "Time is a little bit precious here – or rather, it is passing much more quickly back at Mons Electi,“ Tranquillina admits. ”It must be that this is our best opportunity! We will find a workable plan…." She paces a little bit more, coming up with options.

“All right. If I can make eye contact with the giant for but a moment, I feel confident in being able to make him fear the chain tremendously. Especially if I hold an Arcane Connection to him, such as the letter.” She paces some more, glaring from time to time at the unusually dissonant singing coming from the image above the tree stump. "Assuming we can communicate this plan to Falko: when the giant removes the chain, Falko grabs it, and then either runs out of the complex or, perhaps Isen can bespell him away? Or you can grab it yourself, Isen."

“I also can probably suppress the transmission of sound in the entire room; this could help the alarm not be raised as we execute the theft. The downsides: they will know the chain has been stolen … and, I will have to become visible.” She gulps. "But I am not sure we have a strategy for total stealth." She looks at the other magi, inviting their response.

((Mechanics question: if all sound is being Perdoed away, that probably affects the range of Voice Range spells. But for other Ranges, it doesn’t force a maga to take penalties for no words, does it? – she can still speak the words, they just won’t be heard by anyone?))



 Jonathan.Link » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:47 pm
((If you can’t create your voice outside of typical Voice Range spells and have it affect those things outside of Voice range, it doesn’t seem… fair or at least consistent that Perdo should keep spells from being possible. IIRC, the idea behind Voice range, is that it is as far as your Voice can normally reach, after all, someone casting without words would (or should) be unable to affect targets at Voice range.))


 gerg » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:35 pm
((Good point about not being able to augment Voice Range by magically making your voice louder – hence I can’t dampen Voice Range by magically making things quieter. That makes me happy.
I do point out though that the rules specifically treat casting without words: it does make Voice Range impossible (page 83, left column + sidebar) except on the caster herself.
But that’s different (I hope) than casting with words but having those words magically inaudible.))


 The Fixer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:31 am
gerg wrote:“All right. If I can make eye contact with the giant for but a moment, I feel confident in being able to make him fear the chain tremendously. Especially if I hold an Arcane Connection to him, such as the letter.”

Isen listens to tranquillina carefully
With a spontaneous spell? Or a formulaic? HOw many magnitudes of penetration do you think you can muster? Disregarding the Aura*, I should be able to achieve about 5 magnitudes of penetration on the Call to Slumber. Unless you can do more, we’re better of just putting him to sleep.

Taking hold of the letter might also prove problematic so long as he’s writing it. I wouldn’t count on it.
But we can’t lose any more time, so I fear we might have to translocate in anyway, try to put him to sleep, kill him if that fails, while you stop sounds from exiting the room. Hopefully, there’ll be more readily accessible clothes or weapons we can use as an arcane connection. Of all the giants out there, we had to stumble on the one with a sharp ear who likes writing at night… God must hate us, truly, or his adversary conspires against us. 
Oh, and we should prepare a fake collar. Some lested rope should do. This is falling down so fast I doubt we’ll be able to do this, but who knows?

  • Since it also adds to the giants MR, it is irrelevant anyway


    Jonathan.Link » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:41 am
    ((Can you point me to where Aura adds to MR/Might? I honestly can’t recall ever reading it.))


    The Fixer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:51 am
    (Sorry, no can do, serf’s parma! IIRC, it adds to spellcasting, supernatural abilities and MR. I can’t recall exactly, but it must be in the corebook, in the page where the realm auras are discussed. If there’s an index entry for “Aura”, one of the results will hopefully point to the relevant page)


     Arthur » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:58 am
    Jonathan.Link wrote:((Can you point me to where Aura adds to MR/Might? I honestly can’t recall ever reading it.))

((ArM5 p.183, in the boxed insert.))



 Jonathan.Link » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:05 am
((Alright, now I understand why I don’t remember this, I’d been unconsciously doing this already, at least for Marcus’s attacks in the previous story. I didn’t add Aura to his rolls for penetration, nor did I add it the giant’s magic resistance when I was checking when Marucs penetrated, so… Thanks. It’s tough getting old, and forgetting why you’re doing things the way you are. ))


 gerg » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:47 pm
The Fixer wrote:
gerg wrote:“All right. If I can make eye contact with the giant for but a moment, I feel confident in being able to make him fear the chain tremendously. Especially if I hold an Arcane Connection to him, such as the letter.”

Isen listens to tranquillina carefully
With a spontaneous spell? Or a formulaic? HOw many magnitudes of penetration do you think you can muster? Disregarding the Aura*, I should be able to achieve about 5 magnitudes of penetration on the Call to Slumber. Unless you can do more, we’re better of just putting him to sleep.

Taking hold of the letter might also prove problematic so long as he’s writing it. I wouldn’t count on it.
But we can’t lose any more time, so I fear we might have to translocate in anyway, try to put him to sleep, kill him if that fails, while you stop sounds from exiting the room. Hopefully, there’ll be more readily accessible clothes or weapons we can use as an arcane connection. Of all the giants out there, we had to stumble on the one with a sharp ear who likes writing at night… God must hate us, truly, or his adversary conspires against us. 
Oh, and we should prepare a fake collar. Some lested rope should do. This is falling down so fast I doubt we’ll be able to do this, but who knows?

  • Since it also adds to the giants MR, it is irrelevant anyway

Tranquillina blushes; she ((and her player)) had forgotten that the intense magical aura will help the giant’s resistance as much as her spellcasting. "It is a formulaic spell … but yes, this is tricker than I thought….“ She quickly explains the nuances of her mastery of the spell and her general experience with bypassing magic resistance. ((The discussion is sufficient to communicate that her penetration would be about 20 + die roll if she’s holding the letter, more like 25 + die if it’s signed.)) ”As for an ersatz chain, I can do that, but I will have to see the original first to make the fake convincing."

“Let us go with your Call to Slumber as the primary plan. It can be done while invisible,” she says with clear relief on her face, "and behind the giant’s back, for one thing. I can be prepared to use my idea as a backup plan, if necessary."

“We should give Falko instructions, especially as I will be making the room silent. Can you communicate to him, as you did for Marcus, before we begin?” Tranquillina has Jehanne cut a loop of rope and tie the ends into a knot, then stores the rope in her pouch.

((Are we okay with a Duration: Diameter version of Endurance of the Berserkers? If so, Tranquillina will cast it a couple of minutes before going in: with a fatiguing spont, her casting total is so high that she only needs a successful botch check.))



 Arthur » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:22 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:((Alright, now I understand why I don’t remember this, I’d been unconsciously doing this already, at least for Marcus’s attacks in the previous story. I didn’t add Aura to his rolls for penetration, nor did I add it the giant’s magic resistance when I was checking when Marucs penetrated, so… Thanks. It’s tough getting old, and forgetting why you’re doing things the way you are. ))

((Peanut gallery: It makes a difference with spontaneous magic, though, as the aura is added before dividing. So its effects are halved for Penetration, whereas it is added in full for Magic Resistance.))



 jebrick » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:43 pm
((Had a post swallowed))

Are we adding the power with a Wizard’s Communion?



 gerg » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:59 pm
“If we could cast the somnolence spell here from the forest, I would say aye; but I doubt that we could be organized enough there in the giant’s room to do so effectively.” Tranquillina’s expression at Jacques is one of worry. "Am I right in thinking that you will not be able to Leap in and out with us? I know you will be invaluable once we reach Marcus, more so than I by far; but I still will feel your absence on this preliminary raid."


 jebrick » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:50 am
Jacques looks coldly at Tranquillina. There is little need to point out my deficiencies as I know them well. Some of us have had a harder lives outside of Covenants. I will do what I can.


Jonathan.Link » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:01 am
((jebrick’s role in this saga is to play magi with boulders on their shoulders… ))


 Jonathan.Link » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:23 pm
((In the interests of expediting, I’d like to see some action, so if The Fixer is ok with what’s been discussed go ahead and make any appropriate rolls. Gerg, if you want to make rolls in anticipation of things, I’m fine with that, too.))


gerg » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:01 pm
Okie dokie: Tranquillina already rolled for the Endurance of the Berserkers, and she’ll wait the two minutes to regain Fatigue.
I think the order of things from here is:
Isen sponts a spell to communicate the plan to Falko. But not in a way that alerts the giants! 
Tranquillina teleports in. Casting total high enough even without aura and die roll, mastered spell. Finesse roll to arrive without making noise: Int 3 + Finesse (moving things) 3 + stress die 8= 14.
Isen teleports in.
Tranquillina sponts a spell to kill sounds produced in the room. She’ll do it without words (but with gestures since she’s invisible). ((PeIm spell, Base Level 3, +1 Touch, +2 Room, +1 Diam = level 15. Sta -3 + Pe 14 + Im 10 + Talisman attunement (peace) 4 + aura 12 – silent 10 + stress die 0 / no botch, except if there are multiple botch dice = 27, crap … use a Confidence Point, +3 gets to 30, halved is 15.)) Tranquillina is now Winded, although she doesn’t feel it. More importantly, she doubles over briefly, clutching her gut, at suddenly being able to sense the vis within the two giants. ((For the next few rounds her rolls will be at -3, assuming their total magic Might is between 30 and 50.))
Isen casts Call to Slumber. Good luck!


 The Fixer » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:57 am
Sorry, work work work
gerg wrote:“We should give Falko instructions, especially as I will be making the room silent. Can you communicate to him, as you did for Marcus, before we begin?”

Isen sighs…
Sadly, no. It would make my words heard there, wich would alert the giant. I should have cast an intangible tunnel to falko, but was thinking about something else, and let the moment pass.

Communicating through Mentem Magics… The best way would be to being with an Intangible Tunnel… Yes, maybe I can do it
Rego Vim to spont an Intangible Tunnel
Re 21 (at the time) + Vi 4 + Sta 2 + Aura 12 + Die 1d10=3 = 42/2 = 21, for Diameter Duration
He’ll then cast The Silent Conspiracy (Yeah, this spell finally proves usefull!), and inform Falko.
Then, he’ll rest, cast his defensive spells, and teleport. Finesse 6 + Int (Why??? I’d have said Per) 2 + 1d10=7 = 15.
gerg wrote:assuming their total magic Might is between 30 and 50.

If they are THAT powerful (They might just as well be THeoi), then we’re toast  
gerg wrote:[*]Isen casts Call to Slumber. Good luck![/list]

I’d have felt way better with a communion. This might have made one more magnitude of penetration.
Isen will cast using exagerated gestures
1d10=6 + 27 +1 gestures – 10 spell = Pen 24 + Skill 2 = 26 (disregarding the Aura)



gerg » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:16 pm
Hooray, Fixer’s back!    
The Fixer wrote:
gerg wrote:assuming their total magic Might is between 30 and 50.

If they are THAT powerful (They might just as well be THeoi), then we’re toast 

“Total”! meaning between 15 and 25 each 



 Jonathan.Link » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:50 pm
So…we’re going to destroy sound in the room anyone see a problem with that?
I’ll be a bit forgiving here, but I’d like some coordination. 
Isen, realizing that all sound has been destroyed in the room casts the spell and touches the giant as he casts the spell. Unless someone wants to discuss casting a Voice range spell would be otherwise transmitted in a room where sound is destroyed…


 gerg » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:49 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:So…we’re going to destroy sound in the room anyone see a problem with that?
I’ll be a bit forgiving here, but I’d like some coordination. 
Isen, realizing that all sound has been destroyed in the room casts the spell and touches the giant as he casts the spell. Unless someone wants to discuss casting a Voice range spell would be otherwise transmitted in a room where sound is destroyed…

Jonathan.Link wrote:((If you can’t create your voice outside of typical Voice Range spells and have it affect those things outside of Voice range, it doesn’t seem… fair or at least consistent that Perdo should keep spells from being possible. IIRC, the idea behind Voice range, is that it is as far as your Voice can normally reach, after all, someone casting without words would (or should) be unable to affect targets at Voice range.))


Jonathan.Link » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:24 pm
You’re confused? So am I. Having trouble figuring out what you guys are doing, to be honest…

Look, that comment came about directly as to what was going on the Dimicatio, and basically how it applied here. But in the Dimicatio spells were being cast without words (and until I brought it up, no one was saying that they were shouting something at the end to get the spell to carry to the recipient, so how was I supposed to know what the intent was and what characters were doing, exactly?), which to me, suggested that there was an implicit understanding that Voice range wasn’t determined based on the actual sound the voice could carry1. So if that was going to be the case, Perdo couldn’t apply. Now that we have clearly established that Voice range is based on how far the voice carries, Perdo DOES apply, it must apply. When players start making assumptions and trying to game me, I’ll take the assumptions and run with them.

So, yes, Perdo destroying sound in a room will cause any spell that relies on Voice range to fail. It has to, unless anyone wants to explain to me why it doesn’t. My reasoning there was based on gamesmanship, where players were trying “beat” the SG. I don’t play that way, until the players start playing that way. Decide how you want Voice Range to work. Meaning the sound must be carried to the intended recipient of the spell, or some range of about 15 paces/50 feet, whatever.

Getting whiplash? Good, so am I. You guys decide what’s reasonable, and I’ll just roll with it. You can’t have both, you have to pick one or the other…

, but I could have reasonably presumed that they were shouting? I’m not going to play or SG like that. I want you guys to be explicit about what’s being done. I dislike having to get into these discussions of the minutia when I have to fill in the blanks for you guys. If I fill in the blanks incorrectly, I lose. If I fill in the blanks because you guys forgot about something, well, that’s not entirely fair, either, I might as well just lead you down a story that has no branching points, checking things off as you go along.



 gerg » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:45 pm
((Although the RAW on Voice/sound and spells is admittedly a bit bizarre, are we okay with continuing this thread under the current plan? Tranquillina’s PeIm spell destroys all auditory species in the room, which I think still allows Isen to cast his Voice Range spell.))


 Jonathan.Link » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:53 pm
Yeah, like I said, the Touch is fine with me to deliver a spell in this instance, and we can g with that for now. Now what.


 gerg » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:53 am
So, did the giant fall asleep in his chair? And the giantess is sleeping soundly in the bed? And, what did we instruct Falko to do?

After about twenty seconds, Tranquillina’s nausea passes as the vis within the giants stops registering on her senses. She takes the rope out of her pouch, inspecting the chain around the giant’s neck from a couple of angles. Then she sponts a MuIm spell to change the appearance and feel of the rope to match the chain. ((Base level 2, +1 Touch, +1 Diam = level 4 spell. Sta -3 + Mu 9 + Im 10 + aura 12 = 28, enough to cast it non-fatiguingly. Finesse roll to get the look and feel right: Int 3 + Finesse 2 + stress die 2 = 7.))

Although Isen can’t see her, he can see the rope/chain: Tranquillina waves it around, then points it at the chain on the giant’s neck, hoping that Isen can move the items around.



 Jonathan.Link » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:52 am
In case it isn’t clear, in this instance, in the interests of moving the story forward, the giant is asleep, slumped over at his desk. His wife is still asleep.


The Fixer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:31 am
gerg wrote:Hooray, Fixer’s back!   

Not really  T-T
It’s one of these bad times of the year
Jonathan.Link wrote:So…we’re going to destroy sound in the room anyone see a problem with that?

I thought he was going to stop sound from escaping the room  
Jonathan.Link wrote:(and until I brought it up, no one was saying that they were shouting something at the end to get the spell to carry to the recipient, so how was I supposed to know what the intent was and what characters were doing, exactly?)

For the record,I brought it up, since I was the one doing it. Thanks.

Note that the bit in the Mute flaw I was referring to in the following discussion would imply that actual sound is needed to “carry” your spells. Also, ain’t your range influenced by low/booming speech? 
Now, would PeIm affect this? I don’t know. I can see a point being made either way, since magic can’t enhance your voice range IIRC. I feel like this makes PeIm waaaaay too strong. Against an individual, it’d need to penetrate, but in a room? Makes head heart. Can’t penetrate MR but will destroy species once they’re outside of it???  

Anyway, in doubt, she just needs to cast it right after Isen has cast his spell. He can do it with a very soft voice, after all. Hell, it’s simple actually, even rules wise: If Isen has a better init, she casts it after him. Otherwise, she can hold her action to just after him.
Jonathan.Link wrote:Yeah, like I said, the Touch is fine with me to deliver a spell in this instance, and we can g with that for now. Now what.

He can’t do it, IMO. Not without FFM.

Anyway, if it is good…
The magi can teleport back, while poor falko makes his way home. Now that they’re together, Isen will spont a touch range, diameter duration, Intangible Tunnel to him, of level 05 (to carry spells up to level 20). He can spont it without fatigue. Once it is done, he’ll cast The Silent Conspiracy, an mentally instruct Falko to go towards the wall opposite to the gate. Once there, if everything’s allright, we can both spont a Part touch range lvl 10 PeHe spell to create a hole in the wall for him to go out, and cover this with a low-level “sight and touch” imaginem spell. That way, he won’t have to risk the gates.



 Jonathan.Link » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:02 am
The Fixer wrote:
gerg wrote:Hooray, Fixer’s back!   

Not really  T-T
It’s one of these bad times of the year

Then we need to figure out how to manage this story if you’re going to be absent and it’s not going to progress. As I said, this is a combat story, which I made very clear. What I didn’t say, but should have been obvious is that it requires a certain amount of availability to progress the story.
The Fixer wrote:
Jonathan.Link wrote:So…we’re going to destroy sound in the room anyone see a problem with that?

I thought he was going to stop sound from escaping the room  

He=Isen? Because, gerg, as Tranquillina cast the spell to kill sounds in the room. This was your guys plan, not mine, and I didn’t see anything mentioned of controlling (Rego Imaginem) the sounds from escaping the room. If that was the case, you now have a giantess who is awake, and have to handle that. But I’m interested in moving this story forward, as it seems you are, below.
The Fixer wrote:
Jonathan.Link wrote:(and until I brought it up, no one was saying that they were shouting something at the end to get the spell to carry to the recipient, so how was I supposed to know what the intent was and what characters were doing, exactly?)

For the record,I brought it up, since I was the one doing it. Thanks.

The Fixer wrote:Note that the bit in the Mute flaw I was referring to in the following discussion would imply that actual sound is needed to “carry” your spells. Also, ain’t your range influenced by low/booming speech?
Now, would PeIm affect this? I don’t know. I can see a point being made either way, since magic can’t enhance your voice range IIRC. I feel like this makes PeIm waaaaay too strong. Against an individual, it’d need to penetrate, but in a room? Makes head heart. Can’t penetrate MR but will destroy species once they’re outside of it???  

This is being discussed in the Table Talk thread. If you want to continue that discussion there, that’s a much better place to do it than in the middle of a story.
The Fixer wrote:Anyway, in doubt, she just needs to cast it right after Isen has cast his spell. He can do it with a very soft voice, after all. Hell, it’s simple actually, even rules wise: If Isen has a better init, she casts it after him. Otherwise, she can hold her action to just after him.

Again, do it that way you have awakened the sleeping giantess.
The Fixer wrote:
Jonathan.Link wrote:Yeah, like I said, the Touch is fine with me to deliver a spell in this instance, and we can g with that for now. Now what.

He can’t do it, IMO. Not without FFM.

Again, this is in the interests of advancing the story, if you want to discuss how to handle stuff like this in the future, I will reiterate that you should enter the conversation in the Table Talk thread. I said this is a one time deal, mainly to move the story forward, because your erratic posting doesn’t lend itself for developing a comprehensive plan, and also because there is some serious concerns that need to be resolved about PeIm and sounds and how they affect magic moving forward. It’s a good discussion to have, I just want to figure out how it works, and you should go over to the Table Talk thread and lend your voice to the discussion.
The Fixer wrote:Anyway, if it is good…
The magi can teleport back, while poor falko makes his way home. Now that they’re together, Isen will spont a touch range, diameter duration, Intangible Tunnel to him, of level 05 (to carry spells up to level 20). He can spont it without fatigue. Once it is done, he’ll cast The Silent Conspiracy, an mentally instruct Falko to go towards the wall opposite to the gate. Once there, if everything’s allright, we can both spont a Part touch range lvl 10 PeHe spell to create a hole in the wall for him to go out, and cover this with a low-level “sight and touch” imaginem spell. That way, he won’t have to risk the gates.

And not so fast. As we have the scene, Isen has just put the giant to sleep and the chain is around his neck. Someone needs to get the chain, somehow. No one has yet said how that is happening. And I have no idea what the rest of the stuff you’re doing is intended to do.



 The Fixer » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:05 am
Jonathan.Link wrote:Then we need to figure out how to manage this story if you’re going to be absent and it’s not going to progress. As I said, this is a combat story, which I made very clear. What I didn’t say, but should have been obvious is that it requires a certain amount of availability to progress the story.

JL… It started in october… I couldn’t have foreseen it would still be up by now (Last time I was in a combat story, with valerian and tria, it was over quickly), nor that I’d have that much work by now, nor that I would be ill on top of it all. Could you? We all had various problems at times, you included. 
Whatever. 
Jonathan.Link wrote:He=Isen? Because, gerg, as Tranquillina cast the spell to kill sounds in the room.

Sorry, She. Tranquillina. And dunno where I thought that she stopped sounds from exiting the room   
Jonathan.Link wrote:Again, do it that way you have awakened the sleeping giantess.

You’re telling me that these giants are so light sleepers that the simple sound of someone softly incanting would instantly and assuredly wake her?  
Jonathan.Link wrote:And not so fast. As we have the scene, Isen has just put the giant to sleep and the chain is around his neck. Someone needs to get the chain, somehow. No one has yet said how that is happening. And I have no idea what the rest of the stuff you’re doing is intended to do.

ReTe base 4 to teleport an object up to 5 paces, + 1 touch = lvl 5.

Isen can spont it fatigueless. He’ll teleport the chain out, the fake chain in.
Finesse for the one: 1d10=5 + Dex 1 + Finesse 6 = 12
Finesse for the other: 1d10=3 + Dex 1 + Finesse 6 = 10



 Jonathan.Link » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:52 am
The Fixer wrote:
Jonathan.Link wrote:Then we need to figure out how to manage this story if you’re going to be absent and it’s not going to progress. As I said, this is a combat story, which I made very clear. What I didn’t say, but should have been obvious is that it requires a certain amount of availability to progress the story.

JL… It started in october… I couldn’t have foreseen it would still be up by now (Last time I was in a combat story, with valerian and tria, it was over quickly), nor that I’d have that much work by now, nor that I would be ill on top of it all. Could you? We all had various problems at times, you included. 

That wasn’t a combat story, and I never stated it was a combat story. I had some tactical elements in the story and called out rounds, but it certainly wasn’t a combat story. I was extremely clear about this being the combat story, and the pacing here is falling to you. Jebrick and gerg can post faster so this story progresses whenever you move it. That’s a pretty simple fact. We haven’t even gotten to the meat of the story, and I’m not accusing you of anything, I’m just saying we need to figure out how to manage this story, or any story, if you can’t post for a period of time.
The Fixer wrote:Whatever. 

What’s the purpose of whatever? To state you don’t care? Because that’s the only use of that word that makes sense. If you don’t care, then I can write this story differently. 
I don’t know your schedule, I don’t know when your posting rate changes, unless you tell me, and yes, things do come up, and when I’m the one holding things back, I think I make it clear that I’m the one, and acknowledge the fact and then notify my fellow players when I can expect to be available. Sometimes I make a notification, like I’ll be away for a weekend, but my schedule permits me to be able to post. I’m cautious about informing my fellow players.
The Fixer wrote:
Jonathan.Link wrote:Again, do it that way you have awakened the sleeping giantess.

You’re telling me that these giants are so light sleepers that the simple sound of someone softly incanting would instantly and assuredly wake her?  

If you, as you had thought you were preventing sounds from exiting the room, the situation would now be three people in the room trying to remain quiet and getting the giant to sleep and then getting the chain off. We could go with stealth rolls, if you’d like. I can work this anyway you’d like. But this is your plan, what you and gerg agreed to, despite you not understanding it. And I had already moved on from this point, but you wanted to discuss it more. Eye roll, indeed. You want to point out some potential flaw in the scene. The scene is what the scene is, and you and gerg discussed it and had a large part in shaping it. I can’t win. 
The Fixer wrote:
Jonathan.Link wrote:And not so fast. As we have the scene, Isen has just put the giant to sleep and the chain is around his neck. Someone needs to get the chain, somehow. No one has yet said how that is happening. And I have no idea what the rest of the stuff you’re doing is intended to do.

ReTe base 4 to teleport an object up to 5 paces, + 1 touch = lvl 5.

Isen can spont it fatigueless. He’ll teleport the chain out, the fake chain in.
Finesse for the one: 1d10=5 + Dex 1 + Finesse 6 = 12
Finesse for the other: 1d10=3 + Dex 1 + Finesse 6 = 10

Where is Isen teleporting the chain to? To move from the giant’s neck to Isen’s hand? 

Great, now what? Isen teleports back outside?

And I presume Tranquillina teleport’s out, and Falko walks out. In the interests of progressing the story… everyone is back outside. 

Now what are you doing?



 gerg » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:43 am
Tranquillina will extend her magic sensitivity towards the chain, to see what she can tell about it. ((Per 2 + Magic Sensitivity 3 + hate it when a simple die is 1 = 6. There, a nice low bar for Fixer to clear  ))


 jebrick » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:44 am
Jacques keeps a watch around them. I would suggest that we get moving before they become alerted and send out someone looking.


 jebrick » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:31 am
Jacques will lead everyone away from the Steading of the Hill Giant Chief to a place further away that they can rest and plan.

According to Marcus, this chain will transport us to the volcano( also known as the Hall of the Fire Giant King) where he is being held and we must be ready for combat as soon as we arrive. We must also alert Marcus when we make out attempt. First, we need to figure out how this chain works. Second, I recommend that we do not contact Marcus until we arrive at the volcano. Mainly because we do not know if this chain will take us there or not.



gerg » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:24 pm
“On the other hand,” Tranquillina puts forward, "what if contacting Marcus is the only way to figure out how to use the chain? Even if we manage to learn ourselves, might we accidentally end up in the midst of the fire giants before we are ready?“ She glances towards Isen as she says this, hoping he doesn’t judge her a coward for the remark.


 jebrick » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:34 am
gerg wrote:”On the other hand,“ Tranquillina puts forward, ”what if contacting Marcus is the only way to figure out how to use the chain? Even if we manage to learn ourselves, might we accidentally end up in the midst of the fire giants before we are ready?" She glances towards Isen as she says this, hoping he doesn’t judge her a coward for the remark.

Good idea. Lets move away and let you rest then contact Marcus.



 gerg » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:37 pm
Tranquillina agrees with this plan. She is breathing heavily, not so much from the spells she has cast (which benefit greatly from the intense magical aura), but from the general stress of the situation in the giants’ bedroom. Soon she is ready to put some distance between herself and the fort. She casts Unraveling the Fabric of Imaginem upon herself to remove the invisibility spell, now that she’s back in the company of superior protection. She does the same for Falko, and also (if he consents and lowers his Parma) for Isen. ((automatic success, both for casting level and for what level of spell she can unravel))

Once they get to a safe and stable place, she can use Ignitio as an Arcane Connection to Marcus again, casting The Ear for Distant Voices to be able to hear whatever Marcus decides to say, as well as sounds in his vicinity. She does so with great boldness, knowing she might have to penetrate some resistance. "I suppose it is your task, sodalis, to communicate our questions to him once again," she prods Isen. ((She’s casting an InIm 20 spell. Sta -3 + In 6 + Im 10 + words/gestures 2 + Mastery 1 + aura 12 + stress die 2 = 30. Penetration 30 – 20 + bonus 18 as before = 28.))



 The Fixer » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:23 am
Jonathan.Link wrote:What’s the purpose of whatever? To state you don’t care?

To state that writing more on this would be a waste of both our time and that I don’t want to get into a conflict with you over this, so I drop. If I must post, I prefer for it to be related to the game.

It is difficult to tell a precise schedule, because a lot of my work depends on whatever people drop on me. In one day, I went to “Everything’s fine” to “too much work”. But when this happens and I see I can’t get back to “normal”, I try to tell, like I just did above. It should be better now (or it would, if I wasn’t ill), hopefully.
Jonathan.Link wrote:Where is Isen teleporting the chain to? To move from the giant’s neck to Isen’s hand?

Yes. Sorry if it wasn’t clear. I figured this was easier and stealthier than trying to take it “by hand”.
Jonathan.Link wrote:Great, now what? Isen teleports back outside?
And I presume Tranquillina teleport’s out, and Falko walks out. In the interests of progressing the story… everyone is back outside.

Yes, you’ve got it right:
The Fixer wrote:The magi can teleport back, while poor falko makes his way home.

gerg wrote:“On the other hand,” Tranquillina puts forward, "what if contacting Marcus is the only way to figure out how to use the chain? Even if we manage to learn ourselves, might we accidentally end up in the midst of the fire giants before we are ready?" She glances towards Isen as she says this, hoping he doesn’t judge her a coward for the remark.

Isen listens to Tranquillina carefully
I doubt he knows much more about it than we do, but it costs nothing to ask. At worst, he might tell us of the most appropriate moment to come. As you say, appearing in the midst of giants could spell the end of our mission. The longer we can go unnoticed, the better. And once we are, we must make haste, and strike vigorously.
gerg wrote:“I suppose it is your task, sodalis, to communicate our questions to him once again,” she prods Isen.

Isen gives a sideway look at Tranquillina, but says nothing.
He’ll cast the same spell as before:
CrIm base 1 (sound), +1 clear words, +4 arc, +1 conc = lvl 15
Isen’s total is Cr19 + Im02 + Sta02 + Aura 12 + Die 1d10=6 = 41/2 = 20



 Jonathan.Link » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:29 am
((Marcus did say to contact him before you arrived, in any event, so he could coordinate and create a diversion.))

“Do you have it? I’ll assume yes. The chain will stretch. Put everyone together and form a circle. Wrap the cord around you. It stretches when you give it the right command.” Marcus sounds out a word, which is somewhat familiar to Tranquillina, but not quite (different Celtic tongue). "And then, making sure that you’re all within that circle bounded by the chain, you speak the command word for transport, which is…“ He says another word. ”You’ll be transported to a stone circle, and I’ll have it surrounded with flames to obscure your arrival. I need a couple of your minutes from your mark. If anyone has wards against Heat and Flames, it would be highly advisable to use them on any and all who are coming."



jebrick » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:41 am
I may be able to spont Ward vs Heat and flames but it will wear me out if I do it on each person. I would have to do Ring but it would be nice to have when going to a volcano.


 gerg » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:01 pm
When Tranquillina repeats what Marcus says to the others (since nobody else can hear him), she doesn’t say the control words themselves just yet – just indicates that Marcus did say what the words were. She works on memorizing the two words, trying to connect them to likely cognates from her native Gaelic.

Tranquillina is useless with Ignem, so she doesn’t offer to help with any wards. She says to Jacques, "I do not think we need to get there immediately. There is probably time for you to cast a spell several times, rest after each effort, and still be fresh when we arrive."



 jebrick » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:44 am
((Jacques can’t get to 50 for a spont Ward of heat and flames. Hoping that Isen can or we will have to wizard communion to do it.))


 Jonathan.Link » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:01 am
((Wizard Communion can’t normally be used to spontaneously cast spells. Isen has the effect in his Talisman, but it’s as a Concentration duration…))


 jebrick » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:10 am
((Isen can easily do it with Ceremonial casting. Otherwise he is at 44 + stress die. Jacques does not have Artes Liberales or Philosophiae.))


gerg » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:13 pm
((If we’re going to spont this spell, we can reduce the Duration from Sun to Diameter (love the Magic Realm!), making it only a level 20 spell.))


jebrick » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:34 pm
gerg wrote:((If we’re going to spont this spell, we can reduce the Duration from Sun to Diameter (love the Magic Realm!), making it only a level 20 spell.))

((I agree but it would be nice to have it for sun while assaulting a volcano full of Fire giants.



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:41 pm
jebrick wrote:
gerg wrote:((If we’re going to spont this spell, we can reduce the Duration from Sun to Diameter (love the Magic Realm!), making it only a level 20 spell.))

((I agree but it would be nice to have it for sun while assaulting a volcano full of Fire giants.

((In the Magic Realm, any duration longer than Momentary is effectively “until you leave the Magic Realm”. So Diameter isn’t going to end as long as you’re in Magic.))



 jebrick » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:10 pm

Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:
jebrick wrote:
gerg wrote:((If we’re going to spont this spell, we can reduce the Duration from Sun to Diameter (love the Magic Realm!), making it only a level 20 spell.))

((I agree but it would be nice to have it for sun while assaulting a volcano full of Fire giants.

((In the Magic Realm, any duration longer than Momentary is effectively “until you leave the Magic Realm”. So Diameter isn’t going to end as long as you’re in Magic.))

Do’oh!! forgot about that. I’ll get some casting rolls up tonight.


 jebrick » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:54 pm
Ward vs heat and flame with diameter duration.

Cast on self: 1d10+37=45
rest 2 minutes
Cast on Isen: 1d10+37=46
rest 2 minutes
cast on Tranquillina : 1d10+37=45
rest 2 minutes
cast on Jacques’ shield grog
1d10+37=45
rest 
cast on Isen’s shiled grog: 1d10+37=47 0 and a botch 1d10=10



 Jonathan.Link » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:36 pm
Alright, Jacques doesn’t notice anything untoward in the casting…


 The Fixer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:19 am
jebrick wrote:I may be able to spont Ward vs Heat and flames but it will wear me out if I do it on each person. I would have to do Ring but it would be nice to have when going to a volcano.

Isen replies
I have one active on myself, so don’t worry about me. (he puts all his buffs on when entering the realm, and his ward is maintained by his talisman)

After hearing tranquillina
There’s also the matter of the grogs. But, since Diameter duration spells last forever here, we should be able to protect everyone rather quickly if Jacques and I work together on this
It’s a lvl 20 ReIg spell. Isen’s CT is Re 26 + Ig 5 + Sta 2 + Aura 12 = 45. Barring a botch, he can do it even if rolling a 0.
Isen hates this, due to the botch risk (and warping), though. Hum… With AL and Philosophiae, he gets to 54. 56 with booming voice and gestures. Maybe he can do a Group version, if he rolls enough. He’ll try this, the risk is way smaller. Or not, since Jacques is doing it. Which suits Isen, finally 

Hum… Doing a Per + MT roll to see if Isen notices jacques botched his last spellcasting. He isn’t particularly attentive, though (he trusts jacques to know what he’s doing and prefers to be alter to his surroundings) so I’m taking his awareness, which is lower (makes sense? Lower of MT and awareness?) : Per 1 + Awareness 3 (+1 determining effect?) = 5 + 1d10=8 = 13



jebrick » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:13 am
jebrick wrote:Ward vs heat and flame with diameter duration.

cast on Isen’s shiled grog: 1d10+37=47 0 and a botch 1d10=10

((That is not enough to cast the spell. Would he know that it failed and have to cast it again?))



 Jonathan.Link » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:37 am
The Fixer wrote:Hum… Doing a Per + MT roll to see if Isen notices jacques botched his last spellcasting. He isn’t particularly attentive, though (he trusts jacques to know what he’s doing and prefers to be alter to his surroundings) so I’m taking his awareness, which is lower (makes sense? Lower of MT and awareness?) : Per 1 + Awareness 3 (+1 determining effect?) = 5 + 1d10=8 = 13

Isen has no reason to suspect that Jacques has botched the spell. Everything looks fine, and he performed it exactly as he did the others.
jebrick wrote:((That is not enough to cast the spell. Would he know that it failed and have to cast it again?))

Technically, the CT goes to 0, yes. However, that doesn’t mean that nothing happened. Jacques doesn’t notice that the spell didn’t take effect, and he doesn’t feel that it was cast any differently than the other spells. Perhaps if there were multiple botch dice, the Twilight check might be a sign, but that doesn’t apply since only one Warping point is gained, and I doubt that’s noticeable. Even if it were noticeable, I’d delay the notice of it here in the Magic Realm…



 jebrick » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:45 am
After a rest, Jacques casting on Tranquillina’s Shield grog

1d10=3+37 = success.

Is that everyone?



 Jonathan.Link » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:07 am
I believe so.


 The Fixer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:45 am
Isen look around, and then to Tranquillina and Jacques
So. It seems that we’re set. I have other protective spells, but these are useless on those in Giant form. Since only the grogs really need to be enlarged, though, I can cast Doublet of Impenetrable Silk and Wizard’s Sidestep on you.

He then turns to the grogs
A word of caution. The spells that enlarged you allow you to fight the giants on an even footing. Sadly, since it imbues your bodies and equipment* with magic, it’ll also probably make you unable to hurt them. So fight defensively. Protect the magi, and leave the offense to us, unless you can put your hand on a giant’s weapon, whose natural state is more suited to your new size

If any grog has a problem understanding magical resistance, he’ll have one of them strike him, gently at first, then with more and more force, since the penetration of the MuCo spell is way below is MR. The same thing should happen if you strike a giant, so don’t try it.

He’ll wait for everyone to make suggestions, cast spells…
If everyone is ready, we should warn marcus and go. The faster we strike, the less chances we occur of our subterfuge being discovered.
Sigh…
I must say that I am proud of you all. This is a dangerous mission, in a strange land, against powerful foes, to rescue a… magus who, in many ways, is still a stranger to us, especially to our grogs. Yet, here you are, willing to risk life and limb to save him. This speaks volumes to me. Be you mundane or magus, you’re showing a strength of character that Flambeau himself would have loved. But beware, and don’t get too cocky. Stick with your comrades, protect each other, and pray that we succeed. Towards! To Marcus!

  • At least I believe their equipment was enlarged, and not granted by the blacksmith.


     gerg » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:21 pm
    ((Can we enumerate the grogs who are with us? I brought Falko and Jehanne; I don’t know which one specifically is “Tranquillina’s shield grog” and who is someone else’s, or if they both are T’s.))

(( tl;dr : Tranquillina’s ready to go ))

“I too know few spells that can affect these giant creatures,” Tranquillina discloses. "The meager offense I will be able to muster, most likely, is to sling rocks at them in the manner of your House’s Vilano. Still, it might be better than nothing." She checks her satchel, making sure she has a dozen or so suitable stones therein. She also stores a piece of bark from a nearby tree, in case she needs an Arcane Connection to near this fort for some reason.

She thanks Isen for the offer of magical aids. "Fortunately, my talisman is always under the effect of Doublet of Impenetrable Silk,“ she says, prodding her cloak with a finger, ”and I know theSidestep as well. I will be on the lookout for situations that require a quick teleport across the room: I can be there and back behind the grogs in a matter of seconds."

((I think most of these effects have already been activated in the Magic Realm, but Tranquillina makes sure she has Gift of the Bear’s Fortitude, Eyes of the Eagle, and Wizard’s Sidestep going. They’re all mastered (or enchantments) and her casting totals are high enough without the die roll.))

Tranquillina smiles at Isen’s speech. She shares his admiration for Flambeau the Founder (though not to his extreme degree), and his words were heartening – in particular they have put her at ease, for the moment, about Isen’s judgment of her courage.

Falko has had a boyish grin on his face ever since he was told that their next destination will be inside a mountain of fire. Jehanne, always misinterpreting expressions, asks him worriedly if he is injured.

Finally, if it is necessary, Tranquillina will cast her eavesdropping spell on Marcus one last time, to catch his response when he’s warned that we’re about to strike. ((Sta -3 + In 6 + Im 10 + words/gestures 2 + Mastery 1 + aura 12 + stress die 0 (no botch due to Mastery and/or non-stressful casting) = 28. Penetration 28 – 20 + bonus 18 = 26.))



 jebrick » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:27 am
((I’m ready to go into the Hall of the Fire Giant King™ but I have a question. Jacques enlarged his own bow but got arrows from the Blacksmith. Are those magical and thus resistable or are they native and treated like normal arrows?))


 Jonathan.Link » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:20 am
((I’m taking this story in another direction, away from combat. While I was hurling up my stomach contents yesterday, I came up with something else.))

Tranquillina is still in consultation with Marcus. I’m handwaving Isen casting the spell to ask questions.

Marcus and everyone are nailing down the details of timing when he interrupts himself. 
“This may be the best diversion we can hope for. There’s a lot of activity going on. Wait… A giant with blue skin and two men flanking him are coming towards my cell.” Tranquillina can hear a roar, "It’s so cold…"



 jebrick » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:01 am
((Do we go in or not? I’m not sure if we know where the Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl™ is located. It might be best to jump in))


 gerg » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:30 pm
Options that come to mind:
Tranquillina keeps eavesdropping, maybe a conversation will start
Tranquillina switches to the visual spy spell instead of the audial spy spell
We go for it and jump in
I’m fine with any of these options, and I’m fine with Jacques deciding.


 jebrick » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:34 am
Then if Tranquillina hears nothing else we go.


 gerg » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:51 pm
As long as I have Wizard’s Sidestep active, I’m ready to go. I say the words to operate the chain, etc.etc.


Jonathan.Link » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:37 pm
“You may need to suppress your Parma, if you have a high Corpus resistance.”

Everyone is transported and appears on a pedestal before that appears surrounded. A man-sized figure stands before them, as if expecting their arrival. "Welcome. We’ve been expecting you. Come, I’ll take you to Marcus." The heat of the place is overwhelming. There are several cave openings, or branches, rather, since everyone is in a cave. Surrounding the pedestal appear to be several tall pieces of stone, but they appear to be moving, or perhaps breathing. The speaker turns his back and heads off toward one of the corridors.



 gerg » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:20 pm
Tranquillina snaps off her suppression of her Parma Magica as quickly as she can, sweat dripping from her brow as the unexpectedly normal-sized unexpected greeter greets them unexpectedly. ((Been working on my writing, cancha tell?)) As she was expecting a combat situation, she looks to Jacques for leadership on whether to go along with the stranger. She also casts her senses over the strange breathing rocks, to see if they are magical creatures or under some supernatural effect. ((Per 2 + Magic Sensitivity 3 (specialized in magical creatures) + simple die 4 = 9, or 10 for creatures.))

((Is one of our grogs on fire now?))



Jonathan.Link » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:25 pm
The breathing rocks around the party are fire giants, and Tranquillina feels rather ill.

((No one is on fire, yet.))



 gerg » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:14 pm
Tranquillina quickly curtails her innate sensitivity to magic, but not in time: all of the giants around her have Vis inside them, and the total amount is too much for her. She turns around, takes a step away from the others, and retches behind a small stalagmite. Unsettlingly, the vomit hits the ground about a pace away from where it appears to come out of her mouth.

She coughs unhappily a couple of times, then straightens up and wipes her mouth, murmuring "Excuse me". She doesn’t make eye contact with anyone, for fear of seeing their judgment.

Tranquillina keeps a wary eye on the fire giants, but if they don’t make any moves, she walks out of the cavern with the others. Once they are some distance away, she informs Jacques and Isen of the breathing rocks’ true nature.



jebrick » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:06 pm
Jacques will looks around and when nothing attacks, follow the man down the corridor.


 The Fixer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:17 am
Jonathan.Link wrote:Everyone is transported and appears on a pedestal before that appears surrounded. A man-sized figure stands before them, as if expecting their arrival. "Welcome. We’ve been expecting you. Come, I’ll take you to Marcus." The heat of the place is overwhelming. There are several cave openings, or branches, rather, since everyone is in a cave. Surrounding the pedestal appear to be several tall pieces of stone, but they appear to be moving, or perhaps breathing. The speaker turns his back and heads off toward one of the corridors.

Betrayal! is Isen’s first thought. I never should have trusted a tytalus.

He quickly sorts through his options. Fight is probably a bad idea. He could flee, too, but that’s leave the grogs to die. And the speaker doesn’t seem hostile so.

So gravious an invitation, how could we refuse?Turning towards Tranquillina and Jacques
Let us see what this man has to say.
gerg wrote:Tranquillina quickly curtails her innate sensitivity to magic, but not in time: all of the giants around her have Vis inside them, and the total amount is too much for her. She turns around, takes a step away from the others, and retches behind a small stalagmite. Unsettlingly, the vomit hits the ground about a pace away from where it appears to come out of her mouth.

Isen gives her a quick glance, to ascertain if she’s ok, but otherwise, his attention stays on the strangers. 
And while they walk, he’ll be alert for any trap, also with Second Sight*, leaving the discussion to his sodales.

*SS 3 + Per 1 + 1d10=4 = 8 (9 for invisible things)



Jonathan.Link » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:10 am
The man walks down the corridor with Isen, Jacques, Tranquillina and their grogs following behind. "We’ve put Marcus in a more comfortable spot, although he doesn’t seem to be affected by the overwhelming heat.“ The tunnel appears to go up, and every once in a while a tunnel branches off or a gallery opens up and fire giants can be seen within doing general household tasks. ”Marcus gave the giants a merry run, and they wisely dispatched word to us about him. We then observed to see who would come for him. We are pleased to see that he wasn’t disappointed.“ The corridor appears to go on for some time, and it seems to be cooling off. ”By our best reckoning it is the year 1219. Is that correct? What Houses are you in? We were surprised to see a Tytalus, having thought the Tremere would have wiped them out and dominated the Order after they unleashed the power of their Curse upon us."


 jebrick » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:56 am
Jacques looks a Tranquillina and give a little shrug.
You are not far off. it is 1223 in the year of our Lord. I’m assuming by your information that you are members of House Diedne who have fled the moral world?


 Jonathan.Link » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:48 pm
“Indeed. We will be conducting interviews with each of you to ascertain certain things. Do you require any refreshments while you wait? We will be observing you, and will do you the courtesy of not separating you. Our elders have each of you under careful observation. We found it interesting that Marcus didn’t mention this to you, as he surely knew we were observing him…”


 jebrick » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:31 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:“Indeed. We will be conducting interviews with each of you to ascertain certain things. Do you require any refreshments while you wait? We will be observing you, and will do you the courtesy of not separating you. Our elders have each of you under careful observation. We found it interesting that Marcus didn’t mention this to you, as he surely knew we were observing him…”

He must have just forgot. Quite a joker that Marcus. Were you members of the Covenant of Bibracte or another when you were in the moral world?



 Jonathan.Link » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:38 pm
“Another. But tell me, since you mentioned Bibracte, is that from whence you hail?”


 jebrick » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:52 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:“Another. But tell me, since you mentioned Bibracte, is that from whence you hail?”

Yes. Although we are not using any of the structures of that Covenant. I think it was thoroughly razed when it was destroyed.



 Jonathan.Link » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:13 pm
“Oh, no, the structures were completely moved. They invented the ritual and passed onto others, but there was a side effect, some were less succesful in casting it than others…”


 jebrick » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:26 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:“Oh, no, the structures were completely moved. They invented the ritual and passed onto others, but there was a side effect, some were less succesful in casting it than others…”

((THat Covenant got destroyed 40 years before the Schism war. At least according to L&L))



 Jonathan.Link » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:34 pm
((Canonically, yes… The thing about the Diedne issue is that no one really knows much, since it’s also canonical that House Guernicus destroyed most of the records, so what is known is mostly anecdotal, subject to change, or personal diaries of magi that haven’t fallen into House Guernicus hands…))


jebrick » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:43 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:((Canonically, yes… The thing about the Diedne issue is that no one really knows much, since it’s also canonical that House Guernicus destroyed most of the records, so what is known is mostly anecdotal, subject to change, or personal diaries of magi that haven’t fallen into House Guernicus hands…))

((Got ya.))

Jacques pauses as he thinks about that. Useful spell if you are going to piss off a lot of magi. We might have to learn that.



 Jonathan.Link » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:05 pm
“Nothing is without cost. Is House Tremere close to taking over the Order?”


 jebrick » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:48 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:“Nothing is without cost. Is House Tremere close to taking over the Order?”

Oh no. House Guernicius is the villain in this story. They are close to having the whole thing locked up.



 Jonathan.Link » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:55 pm
“House Tremere prosecuted the war. House Guernicus tried to mediate. House Tremere assassins killed the Guernicus representative to the peace talks.”


The Fixer » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:24 am
Jonathan.Link wrote:We found it interesting that Marcus didn’t mention this to you, as he surely knew we were observing him…"

This only confirms Isen’s suspicions about Marcus betrayal. Although, of course, one can’t neglect the possibility of a deliberate lie to sow distrust.

When the man confirms his house, Isen almost teleports out at once. It feels more and more like they’re walking into a trap, and the fact that the guernici engineered Diedne’s fall doesn’t mean the Diedne were innocent. Yet this is exactly what fiona sought, and he can’t abandon the others like this, not when it seems there’s still a chance.
Yet he likes this less and less, and frowns quite a lot.
Jonathan.Link wrote:“House Tremere prosecuted the war. House Guernicus tried to mediate. House Tremere assassins killed the Guernicus representative to the peace talks.”

Isen is shocked and surprised.
That’s quite a news to drop. Do you have any proof of this? This is dire news.

It is certainly possible, since the documents they have are ultimately from Xenophon (JL: I’m assuming this, correct me is I’m wrong), who could have set up a conspiracy to defeat House Tremere’s ennemies. It could also explain why his body was never recovered. Yet it seldom clings with the guernici’s actions and power.
This also looks like they got who did what confused: It’s the Ex Misc representative that didn’t make it to the peace talks. What is happening here? Yet, Jacques is handling this well, better than Isen would, so he’ll let him do the talking, mostly.

(Oh please, don’t do me you’re doing the ages old tremere villains bit!  I love 5th Ed Tremere! And found cool that you had made them a-little-the-good-guys :-/)



 Jonathan.Link » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:31 am
((Sorry about the change in text color. I’m not sure how that happened.))

“It was in a letter from the Primus of the time to our Primus. The Diedne and Guernicus representatives were ritually murdered to facilitate a powerful ritual weakening both our Houses.” He pauses, sensing some confusion or missing information, "Or so I’m told."



 jebrick » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:18 am
((You may have to help me out on how much we know. If we do not know it then ignore it. Does Jacques know about the Rituals that Guernicus did to curse Diedne? ))

Jacques appears thoughtful. Hmmm. If that were true than Guernicus would have been destroyed along with Diedne. They are very strong. Perhaps stronger by weakening the other Houses.Jacques thinks a bit more. Have you ever heard of the Duresca Scrolls?



Jonathan.Link » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:23 am
((If Jacques was at the meeting with Laetitia…))


jebrick » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:46 am
Jonathan.Link wrote:((If Jacques was at the meeting with Laetitia…))

((Jacques was there and knows there is a Ritual of Thoth that could be used against Mons Electi.))



 Jonathan.Link » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:00 am
The man guiding them brings them to where Marcus is being held, he doesn’t have time to answer the question about the Duresca scrolls or forgets about it. Marcus is in his cell and is speaking with two other men who are standing outside of it. Conversation ends as Jacques, Tranquillina, and Isen approach, but it isn’t a forced or cut-off ending. 
“Now that everyone is together. What game is afoot? You speak of House Guernicus as if they were guilty of the war with Tremere. They provided us with much valuable information. It was only when the Tremere cast their curse that we began to fall.”


 jebrick » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:06 am
Jonathan.Link wrote:The man guiding them brings them to where Marcus is being held, he doesn’t have time to answer the question about the Duresca scrolls or forgets about it. Marcus is in his cell and is speaking with two other men who are standing outside of it. Conversation ends as Jacques, Tranquillina, and Isen approach, but it isn’t a forced or cut-off ending. 
“Now that everyone is together. What game is afoot? You speak of House Guernicus as if they were guilty of the war with Tremere. They provided us with much valuable information. It was only when the Tremere cast their curse that we began to fall.”

((Is the person talking the one who guided us or one of the two outside of Marcus’ cell?))



 Jonathan.Link » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:08 am
((Yes. I’ll be using different colors to denote different characters.))


 jebrick » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:24 am
Jonathan.Link wrote:The man guiding them brings them to where Marcus is being held, he doesn’t have time to answer the question about the Duresca scrolls or forgets about it. Marcus is in his cell and is speaking with two other men who are standing outside of it. Conversation ends as Jacques, Tranquillina, and Isen approach, but it isn’t a forced or cut-off ending. 
“Now that everyone is together. What game is afoot? You speak of House Guernicus as if they were guilty of the war with Tremere. They provided us with much valuable information. It was only when the Tremere cast their curse that we began to fall.”

And you speak as though Guernicus were cursed along with your House. So you know the effect of this curse. You have felt the effect of the curse. If Guernicus were cursed with you, as you have told us, then they would also have been destroyed by Termere. Do you agree?



Jonathan.Link » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:34 am
“I’m not going to answer that, and instead ask another question. Are you saying that House Guernicus wasn’t destroyed? You brought up the Duresca scrolls, but these were clearly fabrications meant to discredit House Guernicus after the Sundering.”


 jebrick » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:18 am
Jonathan.Link wrote:“I’m not going to answer that, and instead ask another question. Are you saying that House Guernicus wasn’t destroyed? You brought up the Duresca scrolls, but these were clearly fabrications meant to discredit House Guernicus after the Sundering.”

That is two questions. Jacques smiles. For the first one. No. Guernicus is quite fine and quite powerful. There power is political in that they control the Code and the Judges. As for the second question, let me tell you a story. It will be incomplete I’m afraid because I am a warrior and not a scholar. He leans closer to the man and says sotto voce, Some might say I’m a bandit but I’m telling the story so I’m a warrior.

<clears>
There was a great wizard named Apollodorus of Jerbiton. As I understand it, he pasted his gauntlet at the end of what we call the Schism war. At some point, studying in Constantinople, he made a discovery about the Duresca scrolls that they might not be false. Of course he could not go public with this but began to do deep research into them and House Guernicus. When the Inner Council of Guernicus became aware of his studies they tried various means of discrediting him. Finally, they put a price on his head. For in his long research he uncovered things and events by House Guernicus that seemed to lead to a conspiracy to weaken the other Houses of the Order by various events. Tremere and his House is broken by some mysterious group of wizards. House Tytalus accused of worshiping demons and broken. House Flambeau lost it’s command structure and is disorganized. He saw a pattern. Any House that was or tied to better organize itself fell upon a calamity. Jacques pauses to emphasis this last point. All of this had Guernicus hand in it. At this point there are only two well organized houses in the order. Tremere, who are only powerful in their home of Transylvania, and Guernicus who are powerful in all portions of the Order.

Apollodorus lived a very long time in hiding. He finally found a Covenant in a hill in France near the ruins of a previous Covenant. He gathered some magi and slowly taught the secrets he had learned. He is gone now. Guernicus’ chief Hoplite was used in the attack the night he disappeared. That same night the primus of Flamebeau was killed and those of Mercere and Tremere were attacked. That was not long ago. Jacques pauses again. But that is just a tale told by a warrior fears he might be a prisoner. It all may be a lie or even some of it. I can prove none of it here. But Guernicus is still a House in the Order and they are still strong and that part is true.

And now I’m rather parched. Is there any ale or beer here?

((Yes. Jacques is leaving some things out.))



 The Fixer » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:11 am
Jonathan.Link wrote:“Now that everyone is together. What game is afoot? You speak of House Guernicus as if they were guilty of the war with Tremere. They provided us with much valuable information. It was only when the Tremere cast their curse that we began to fall.”

O_O
Absolutely not!!! The curse was cast by the guernici, we have proof of that. They wanted to destroy you, since your power made you a threat to their plans. No curse was cast on them, and they are more powerful than ever, having suffered little loss in the war, whereas the Tremere were greatly weakened by their it.

After jacques has made his speech
I’m beginning to place it. The guernici managed to give the appearance of neutrality, so as to avoid the ravages of war, whereas the other houses destroyed themselves. Think about it. If they had stood against you, or against the Tremere, they would have had to fight, but that way, you destroyed each other while they stood on the sidelines.



 Jonathan.Link » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:56 am
“Proof? What proof do you have? Not that it matters, we are likely stuck here. Our best Corpus experts suspect that we will feel the ravages of all the years we missed once we return to the world. We’ve spent 30 years nurturing ourselves and gathering allies. When we saw that they were being attacked, and attacked by Hermetic magics, we were concerned that the Tremere had found us. My suspicion is that you’ve been taken in by Tremere lies, the best of them do their best to control and shape the flow of information in such a way as to put themselves in a positive light.”


 jebrick » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:55 am
Jacques nods. As do the Guernicus, my friend. As do the Guernicus. So we can not offer you proof that you might accept yet still the question hangs in the air…If as you have said, the Termere cursed both Guernicus and Diedne, why were only your House effected? Is it possible that it was only cast on your House? Yes? And if so why would your friends lie to you?


 Jonathan.Link » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:44 am
“Magvillus is reputed to have a 20th or 30th magnitude Aegis text, we entreated to get a copy to protect some of our covenants, but they denied having such a powerful Aegis. Even still, they were not at war, caught away from their Aegides like many of us were.”


 gerg » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:50 am
Jonathan.Link wrote:“Not that it matters, we are likely stuck here. Our best Corpus experts suspect that we will feel the ravages of all the years we missed once we return to the world. We’ve spent 30 years….”

((Just before this second trip to the Magic Realm, didn’t Fiona and Marcus rescue a couple of the Diedne magi and bring them back? Or did they only go back as far as the Blacksmiths? I’m trying to remember if we have any data on this quick-aging suspicion.))



jebrick » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:50 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:“Magvillus is reputed to have a 20th or 30th magnitude Aegis text, we entreated to get a copy to protect some of our covenants, but they denied having such a powerful Aegis. Even still, they were not at war, caught away from their Aegides like many of us were.”

An Aegis might work if the curse targeted a place or person rather than a House. But I do not know how it worked other than a Guernicus telling us that it required a human sacrifice. 

We will get no where like this. You are the proverbial Blinded man who asks a passerby to describe the world but will not believe what is said. Just let Marcus out and we will be on our way.



 Jonathan.Link » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:59 pm
Jurgen and Captivius are at the blacksmith. They are not Diedne magi.


 Jonathan.Link » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:02 pm
jebrick wrote:An Aegis might work if the curse targeted a place or person rather than a House. But I do not know how it worked other than a Guernicus telling us that it required a human sacrifice. 

We will get no where like this. You are the proverbial Blinded man who asks a passerby to describe the world but will not believe what is said. Just let Marcus out and we will be on our way.

“No.” The three men stiffen, the Jotun stirs a bit as if preparing for battle.



jebrick » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:37 pm
So we are prisoners until you figure out how to discover the truth?


 Jonathan.Link » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:49 pm
“When one issues ultimatums, we’ve learned to be prepared for violence. Would you care to reconsider your words?”


 jebrick » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:54 pm
What ultimatum did I issue?


 Jonathan.Link » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:10 pm
The one speaking says, "And I quote, “We will get no where like this. You are the proverbial Blinded man who asks a passerby to describe the world but will not believe what is said. Just let Marcus out and we will be on our way.”

“You are in our home, our realm, and you make demands upon us? How do you think you’re going to leave, without our assistance?”



 jebrick » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:25 pm
And how is that an ultimatum? Where was the threat? That we would leave? I speak the truth and you believe nothing we say. Cast a spell on me to see if I speak the truth. Have your experts read my memories. Just get on with it.


 Jonathan.Link » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:32 pm
“There is an implied ‘or else’ hanging in the air. Give us Marcus, or else. Don’t pretend that there isn’t. I get the sense of violence from you, that you know how to handle weapons. And Marcus is obviously adept with combat magics. So, you are some sort of advance team. So, you seem to suggest we are at an impasse, and you offer up the option of us casting spells on you to determine the truth of your words? Tremere lie very well to their patsies. We require more than just a simple spell, and more than a moment of your time.”


 gerg » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:41 pm
Tranquillina had been silent up until this point, but she steps forward tentatively and addresses both Jacques and the unknown speaker. "Sodales … gentlemen … if it is your primary desire to argue and to tempt hostility, then I shall remain in the background. But if it is genuinely your primary desire to come to common understanding, then I might be able to help.“ She assumes the least aggressive stance she can possibly put her body into. ”More specifically, I know a spell whose effect is exactly that: to help people see both sides of an issue. It would be an act of great trust, I know, to you whom I have just met – er, not even met … but Jacques – you know and trust me. Will you let me lend my aid in this way?“ ((Maybe an Etiquette roll is appropriate here. Com 3 + Etiquette (addressing magi) 3 + stress die 5 = 11.))


 jebrick » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:52 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:”There is an implied ‘or else’ hanging in the air. Give us Marcus, or else. Don’t pretend that there isn’t. I get the sense of violence from you, that you know how to handle weapons. And Marcus is obviously adept with combat magics. So, you are some sort of advance team. So, you seem to suggest we are at an impasse, and you offer up the option of us casting spells on you to determine the truth of your words? Tremere lie very well to their patsies. We require more than just a simple spell, and more than a moment of your time."

Jacques rolls his eyes.

Guernicus lie very well to their patsies. Hope you are ready for that. Lets get on with it.



 Jonathan.Link » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:02 pm
“My amici and I will retire for a while to allow this one,” he points at Jacques, "to cool off a bit.“ Each of the three touch their belts and disappear. The Jotun does not disappear.
Marcus says from his cell, ”Well, that was effective."


 jebrick » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:12 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:“My amici and I will retire for a while to allow this one,” he points at Jacques, "to cool off a bit.“ Each of the three touch their belts and disappear. The Jotun does not disappear.
Marcus says from his cell, ”Well, that was effective."

Jacques flips Marcus the finger  

What I said was true. They are the blinded man asking what color are their clothes. We all say red and they scoff at us because they are sure they had on yellow. it is an impass until they get off their magic asses and cast some spells to find out the truth. Or get the balls to go out of the Magic realm and see.



 Jonathan.Link » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:23 pm
“One does not insult the master in his own House. And if they leave the Magic realm, to re-enter the mortal world, they turn to dust, perhaps? Or get hunted down like the dogs that they are claimed to be?”


 jebrick » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:10 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:“One does not insult the master in his own House. And if they leave the Magic realm, to re-enter the mortal world, they turn to dust, perhaps? Or get hunted down like the dogs that they are claimed to be?”

You mean warden in his prison don’t you?



 Jonathan.Link » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:44 pm
“If that makes you feel better. Sure.”


 gerg » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:22 pm
So what’s the situation here? Locked in a cage? Guarded by a big giant? …


 Jonathan.Link » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:32 pm
Marcus is in his cell. Everyone else is more or less free… But there is a Jotun nearby…


 gerg » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:38 pm
gerg wrote:Tranquillina had been silent up until this point, but she steps forward tentatively and addresses both Jacques and the unknown speaker. "Sodales … gentlemen … if it is your primary desire to argue and to tempt hostility, then I shall remain in the background. But if it is genuinely your primary desire to come to common understanding, then I might be able to help.“ She assumes the least aggressive stance she can possibly put her body into. ”More specifically, I know a spell whose effect is exactly that: to help people see both sides of an issue. It would be an act of great trust, I know, to you whom I have just met – er, not even met … but Jacques – you know and trust me. Will you let me lend my aid in this way?" ((Maybe an Etiquette roll is appropriate here. Com 3 + Etiquette (addressing magi) 3 + stress die 5 = 11.))

Well then, since nobody listened to what Tranquillina said earlier, she’ll see if she can get an idea what’s going on. What are the exits from the room? She’ll choose one and walk towards it calmly, keeping an eye on the Jotun.



 Jonathan.Link » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:41 pm
There’s one behind the Jotun. And whence the way you came…


 gerg » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:52 pm
Hmm, two exits – one we got there from, a second pretty clearly guarded by the Jotun.
Still, she’ll walk to that second one behind him/her. He’s at least got to react before she’ll stop. She’ll keep an eye out for super giant attacks that could hit a huge area, and have her fast-castableWizard’s Leap at the ready – but her Wizard’s Sidestep is active and should protect her from one swing at least.


Jonathan.Link » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:06 am
The Jotun speaks and it rumbles throughout the cave, causing the walls to shake, "That path to my home is that way. Proceed at your own risk, you may find making your way back difficult."


 jebrick » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:21 am
Jacques will inspect the cell door that is holding Marcus. Is it a door or just magic bars or a ward?


 Jonathan.Link » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:25 am
It’s a normal door.


 jebrick » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:25
So why don’t you come out of the cell Marcus. What is preventing you?


 Jonathan.Link » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:31 am
“I play my part. No man can withstand an army on his own. They needed a prisoner, I satisfy the demand for now. When I figured out that they were trying to capture me and not kill me, I became curious as to why. My curiosity is not yet sated. Is yours?”


 gerg » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:05 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:The Jotun speaks and it rumbles throughout the cave, causing the walls to shake, "That path to my home is that way. Proceed at your own risk, you may find making your way back difficult."

((What language is the Jotun speaking?))
Tranquillina stops where she is, facing the Jotun respectfully. "Your own home, only? Or the home of you and others of your kind?“ She makes a show of peering past the giant down the corridor.”Or, is it the home of those little ones our size who were talking to us just now, and you are simply their guard?"



 Jonathan.Link » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:10 pm
The Jotun grunts in response to the questions. The Jotun spoke in Latin, and spoke quite well, as a matter of fact.


 jebrick » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:02 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:“I play my part. No man can withstand an army on his own. They needed a prisoner, I satisfy the demand for now. When I figured out that they were trying to capture me and not kill me, I became curious as to why. My curiosity is not yet sated. Is yours?”

And did you ask them why they captured you?



 Jonathan.Link » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:33 pm
“The Fire Giants? No. They don’t talk, as far as I can tell. And the others appeared contemporaneous with your arrival.”


 jebrick » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:47 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:“The Fire Giants? No. They don’t talk, as far as I can tell. And the others appeared contemporaneous with your arrival.”

Others meaning the people calling themselves Diedne?



 Jonathan.Link » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:03 pm
And the Jotun.


 jebrick » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:20 pm
Have they just talked to you? Have you seen them do any magic?


Jonathan.Link » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:27 pm
“No, none of them talked except the one, and he said he was going to fetch you three. They arrived with the Jotun, and he went off to get you telling them to wait here with me.”


jebrick » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:15 pm
Might as well get comfortable.

Jacques will try to make a down filed mattress to lie on.

Create the mattress bag with rope CrHe base 2 Dur: Dim+1 
Cr 9 + He 8 + St1+ aura 10 + 1d10=3 = 28/5 = 5.5

Fill it with down
CrAn Base 5 2 group + 1 Diam 
Cr 9
9 + An 10 + St1 + aura 10 + 1d10=2 = 41/2 20

tie it up and lay down.



jebrick » Thu May 16, 2013 3:29 pm

Jacques will be Herbum since he is repairing the wall.

Once More Unto the Breach

In the Ruins of Bibracte jonathanlink Peregrine_Bjornaer