Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting

(Source thread)

 Jonathan.Link » Wed May 08, 2013 11:53 am
((Alright, I’ve wanted to do this for a while…))

A grog walks into a bar (  ) favored by Mons Electi grogs. In well spoken Latin, "I’m one of Cumhachd’s grogs. She asked me to find out which one of you can throw a punch like a man. Any takers?“ He shakes a small purse of coins that jingles. ”That purse belongs to the man who can take me down. Fists and wrestling, no weapons. Who’s first to try?" He repeats the same in French.



 gerg » Wed May 08, 2013 12:42 pm
((Haha, I’ve got four grog characters who would be into this! Rolling at random:))

At the bar, Falko had been singing an improvised ballad to the serving maid on a dare from Gaston Lainnier, who was perfectly happy with any plan that kept the maid’s ample cleavage in front of them. Just as Falko was about to change keys (intentionally), he gets distracted by the stranger’s presence. "Eh? What did he say?“ he asks, poking Gaston in the ribs; the older man is defenseless, having a mug of ale in each hand. ”Something about a fight?" The two barely share a language, though, so Gaston shrugs and goes back to eying the barmaid.

Falko leaps off his stool and jogs three steps towards the grog, finishing with his arms wide in a “look at me” pose. "Begging your pardon, fellow,“ he says in passable Latin, ”but did you say you wanted to trade punches with a real man? My name’s Falko, and I’ll take your challenge!" He has a big smile on his face, in the manner of someone who is about to kick the crap out of a new drinking buddy.



Jonathan.Link » Wed May 08, 2013 12:47 pm
The man who issued the challenge is slight of build, almost effeminate, but his tight leggings and short display his twig and berries. He’s dressed more like a jongleur, like that magus Stultus, than someone who can handle himself in a fight.
“Tell you what. I’m feeling generous. I’ll give you the first punch for free, Falko” He smiles up at Falko.

((Go ahead and do intiative and attack for round one, and then attack and defense for round 2. I think I’ll split this out into it’s own thread in just a bit… And give me a crib sheet on his relevant combat stats, too, please!))



cunningrat1 » Wed May 08, 2013 12:50 pm
Miroslav and some J. Random Covenfolk Personage Who Sorta Speaks Russian are sitting in the back of the bar.
“What he say?”
“I think he say he looking for real man to fist him.”
“Oh. Tell him, this wrong kind of bar.”


((cunningrat earns a chortle  ))
((I’m assuming neither Falko nor the stranger are in armor, if they’re in the bar. The stats below reflect this. Let me know if I’m wrong))

Falko
Characteristics: Int 0, Sta +2, Str +2, Dex +1, Qik +4, Com 0, Prs 0, Per -3
Size: 0
Virtues: Custos, Great Quickness, Tough
Flaws: Compulsion (singing, especially when under stress), Judged Unfairly, Poor Hearing
Soak: +5
Dodge: Init +4, Defense +7
Fist: Init +4, Attack +4, Defense +7, Damage +2
Fisting: In it +4, Ride +2, Finesse +4, Penetration +7
Kick: Init +3, Attack +4, Defense +6, Damage +5
some Abilities: Athletics 3, Awareness 3, Brawl 3, Concentration 3 (defending)

Falko accepts at the specifics of the challenge without question; he slides his dagger out of his belt and tosses it on the ground towards the inattentive Gaston. He makes a show of measuring the distance from his right fist to Twigberries ((hey, if you’re not going to name him, I will!)), then throws a left hook at his jaw.

Round 1: Init 8, Attack 13
Round 2 (plan is to punch again): Attack 10, Defense 10



 Jonathan.Link » Wed May 08, 2013 2:37 pm
Does he go for the body/gut or the head? He’s probably had a bit to drink that he not think too hard about it… He just stands there in a semi-ready position, but with his hands down to provide the clearest possible path to Falko’s preferred target.


 gerg » Wed May 08, 2013 2:47 pm
He goes for the jaw (looks like I already decided!).
Second round: if he hit the jaw, he’ll try again. If he misses, he’ll switch to the gut. Real genius, Falko is.


 Jonathan.Link » Wed May 08, 2013 2:55 pm
I suppose I should read the post in full, rather than looking at the crib notes, and die rolls…  to me.

Alright, he hits Twigberries full on the jaw. Twigberries head turns slightly, while Falko’s hand follows through. It’s a solid hit, and Falko certainly felt it, since it felt like was punching a slab of granite. Twigberries smiles. There’s no sign of blood, and usually, when Falko has had the drop on someone like that in the past, there’s some blood or something from where the teeth cut the inside of the cheek. There’s nothing this time, no blood, no spitting, just Twigberries smiling face and pearly whites. "Not bad. But you really don’t know how to fight unarmed, do you?"

Twigberries turns his head and looks at the assorted room, and while Falko’s fist is now going towards the back of Twigberries head, Twigberries says, uninterrupted by the punch as it lands, "Does anyone here, now how to fight unarmed?"

Round 3, Twigberries fights back…



gerg » Wed May 08, 2013 4:29 pm
All right, Falko isn’t super bright, but he realizes that repeated punches to the head aren’t going to cut it. He’ll try to trip Twigberries instead: He throws out his left leg to the side of TB’s feet and tries to muscle him over the outstretched leg. "Nothin’ in his head needs protecting … down he goes!" Falko sings optimistically.

((Just unmodified Brawl stats for that? – i.e., same as Fist?))
((Round 3: Attack = weak 6, Defense = 14))



 Marko Markoko » Wed May 08, 2013 5:28 pm
Johan VanHalen Junior is drinking at the bar with Carlos. Johan speaks no Latin or French, but Carlos does and he explains what is going on.

Junior has a huge smile on his face, and stands in line to fight next 



Jonathan.Link » Wed May 08, 2013 5:36 pm
TB’s totals before the die are:
<redacted>

Twiggberry’s initiative total is 12/13 ish, he’s very fast.

TB’s attack total of 22 vs Falko’s defense of 14, AA of 8 vs a soak of 5, Falko loses a fatigue level.
Defense total of 22 vs an attack of 6, no effect.

TB jabs Falko gently with his left fist, getting his attention, and deftly steps over Falko’s outstretched leg, and chuckles.



Jonathan.Link » Wed May 08, 2013 6:08 pm
Marko, go ahead and start up your fight with Twigberry. We can either retcon it to be another night, if things go south, or treat it as happening immediately after Falko’s ’bout.


 Marko Markoko » Wed May 08, 2013 6:08 pm
Junior wagers with Carlos, two pennies on Twigberry 

Then he turns his full smiling attention to the match at hand  
This is friggin’ awesome!



 Marko Markoko » Wed May 08, 2013 6:11 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:Marko, go ahead and start up your fight with Twigberry. We can either retcon it to be another night, if things go south, or treat it as happening immediately after Falko’s ’bout.

Shall do 

Junior’s Initiative: 1d10+1=8



 gerg » Wed May 08, 2013 6:36 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:TB jabs Falko gently with his left fist, getting his attention, and deftly steps over Falko’s outstretched leg, and chuckles.

Falko’s been hit in fights before, and worse than this one; but he definitely felt the punch. He shakes his head, not smiling quite as wide any more. He’s used to being the quicker one in a fight, but this little beanstalk is hard to pin down. Falko decides to bull rush TB, with as much energy as he can muster, and try to wrap him up in his arms, hoping to gain an advantage that way.

((Grapple attack, exerting himself (loses a second Fatigue level). Attack = 13, Defense = 16))



 Marko Markoko » Wed May 08, 2013 6:43 pm
Marko Markoko wrote:
Jonathan.Link wrote:Marko, go ahead and start up your fight with Twigberry. We can either retcon it to be another night, if things go south, or treat it as happening immediately after Falko’s ’bout.

Shall do 

Junior’s Initiative: 1d10+1=8

I just checked out Junior’s stats, and I screwed up by transposing Dex & Quick. I corrected the sheet here on the Forum, but left the verion on Obsidian Portl version unchanged for now, so you can see my error.



Jonathan.Link » Wed May 08, 2013 6:55 pm
((I actually did something wrong the first, round, I took AA of 8-5 for damage of 3, but it should have been 8+5-5, meaning loses two levels of fatigue. We’ll say he pulled his punch)
Twiggberry punches, but this time he means it… 
Attack total of 17 vs Falko’s 16 1 AA + 5 damage vs a 5 soak, is damage of 1, Falko loses another fatigue level.
Twiggberry dodges Falkos bullrush easily, with his defense total of 22 (again!) vs Falko’s 13.

Falko is down to Tired and is at a -3 for all actions. 

Falko feels Twigberry’s left jab again, this time it feels a bit more forceful, though it barely seemed to connect with his jaw. Falko never thought he had a glass jaw before, now he’s not so sure.“Whoa there, son. You’re going to hurt yourself. Unless you’re trying to run out the door that is.” Twigberry says as he deftly sidesteps Falko’s bullrush. He breaths on his nails and buffs them against his tunic as he turns to face Falko, while Falko collects himself.



Jonathan.Link » Wed May 08, 2013 6:56 pm
Marko Markoko wrote:
Marko Markoko wrote:
Jonathan.Link wrote:Marko, go ahead and start up your fight with Twigberry. We can either retcon it to be another night, if things go south, or treat it as happening immediately after Falko’s ’bout.

Shall do 

Junior’s Initiative: 1d10+1=8

I just checked out Junior’s stats, and I screwed up by transposing Dex & Quick. I corrected the sheet here on the Forum, but left the verion on Obsidian Portl version unchanged for now, so you can see my error.

No biggie, if it’s not too much trouble, can you do the cribsheet like gerg did? Go ahead and do your attack and defense rolls, too.



 Marko Markoko » Wed May 08, 2013 7:30 pm
Junior wrote:Junior VanHalen
Characteristics: Int 0, Per +1, Com +0, Pre +1, Str +2, Sta +1, Dex +2, Quik +1
Size: 0
Virtues: +0 Covenfolk, +1 Affinity with Brawl, +1 Improved Characteristics, +1 Puissant Brawl
Flaws: -1 Reckless, -1 Social Handicap, -1 Warped by Magic
Soak: +1
Combat
Dodge (Wrestle): Init +1, Atk n/a (
10), Def 9, Dmg n/a (2)
Fistfight: Init 1, Atk +10, Def +9, Dmg +2
Bludgeon: Init +1, Atk +12, Def +9, Dmg +4
(add +1 attack/defense if in a barfight)
Relevant Abilities: Athletics 1 (climb), Awareness 1 (in a fight), Brawl* 6
2 (bar fights), Carouse 3 (games of chance), Folk Ken 2 (rabble), Guile 1 (play ignorant), Leadership 1 (intimidation)

Junior employs Exertion, spending a Fatigue level to add his ability score to his Attack. He halso has barfighting as his specialization 
Attack 1d10+11+9=25
Defense 1d10+10=17



 gerg » Wed May 08, 2013 7:37 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:Falko feels Twigberry’s left jab again, this time it feels a bit more forceful, though it barely seemed to connect with his jaw. Falko never thought he had a glass jaw before, now he’s not so sure. "Whoa there, son. You’re going to hurt yourself. Unless you’re trying to run out the door that is." Twigberry says as he deftly sidesteps Falko’s bullrush. He breaths on his nails and buffs them against his tunic as he turns to face Falko, while Falko collects himself.

Falko can still stand up, but not 100% straight up. He knows when he’s beat: he gave everything he had during the last rush, and he didn’t even come close. "All right, all right,“ he says, holding his palms up to Twigberry. ”You got the better of me. When you find yourself wanting your first drink, it’s on me." Falko rubs his jaw, feeling the pain but still cheerful enough about having chosen to participate (would’ve been nice if those punches had at least fazed the guy, though…, he thinks).



Jonathan.Link » Wed May 08, 2013 8:02 pm
Twigberry isn’t giving anymore freebies.. 

Twigberry: Attack of 20 vs Defense of 17, AA of 3 + 5 damage -1 Soak for 7 total damage, effective Medium wound resolves to 2 fatigue levels lost
Junior: Attack of 25 vs Defense of 19, 6 AA + 2 dmg vs a soak of fuggeddaboudit.

As Junior was watching Twigberry against Falko he noticed how fast TB was, and reasonably presumed that a powerful attack was the only path to having a chance. And then Twigberry hit him. It looked like it was going to be a glancing blow, and it wasn’t much, but the small tap to his abdomen had such force behind it that Junior lost his breath. Junior did manage to connect and land a blow on TB’s belly, but it felt as if he were hitting something as hard as Roberto’s sword. In Junior’s experience, such a blow has normally leveled similar opponents, even bigger opponents. 
Junior’s attack is very effective, and he connects with a huge body blow, but the guy’s gut is like the steel of Roberto’s sword. Junior suspects TB’s been ensorcelled or something and about that time TB gives him a big grin. And gives him the come hither wave with his left hand.

Junior is at -3 Tired now.



Marko Markoko » Wed May 08, 2013 11:19 pm
Am I to presume his wave to mean he is Delaying his action and waiting for me to come at him? If so, Junior will likewise Delay his action. He will wait for Twigberry to come at him.
My hope is, if you allow (referencing rules from Lords of Men page 118 & 119), for Junior to hold his Delay over until Twigberry attacks, then try to Interrupt his attack with an Action Priority roll. Twigberry is quick, but Junior is banking that he has superior skill.
Junior plans to Interrupt Twigberry with a Throw, grabbing him as he comes at me (Junior) and toss him over my head as I fall back. Then try to Pin him the next round (LoM, p.132-133)

If Permitted and things work out in the anticipated sequence..
Action Priority roll (SD + Quick + Brawl – Enc – Fatigue)
1d10+1+9-3=17
Ignore that math, he rolled a zero 
How many botch dice?



Jonathan.Link » Thu May 09, 2013 5:28 am
Just one unless he would normally be drunk, then three. It isn’t a delaying action, more like the flow of combat being described. Don’t read too much into it and don’t make it more complicated than it is.  It should be readily apparent to Junior that this man is quite a bit more than he appears to be.


 jebrick » Thu May 09, 2013 7:34 am
Claude has another drink and begins waxing forth. You are going about it all wrong…Your weight is on the wrong foot…Rotate your body with the punch…Roll with the punch you idiot…Any fool knows that is not how to grapple.


 Jonathan.Link » Thu May 09, 2013 8:17 am
I’ll go ahead and add that Junior can do an awareness check, if he’d like, to ascertain whether he really is more skilled than Twigberry it won’t impose any penalty on other actions.


cunningrat1 » Thu May 09, 2013 8:24 am
jebrick wrote:Claude has another drink and begins waxing forth. You are going about it all wrong…Your weight is on the wrong foot…Rotate your body with the punch…Roll with the punch you idiot…Any fool knows that is not how to grapple.

A gravelly voice comes from a dark corner. “You going to put your money where your mouth is, Clod?”



 jebrick » Thu May 09, 2013 8:33 am
cunningrat1 wrote:
jebrick wrote:Claude has another drink and begins waxing forth. You are going about it all wrong…Your weight is on the wrong foot…Rotate your body with the punch…Roll with the punch you idiot…Any fool knows that is not how to grapple.

A gravelly voice comes from a dark corner. “You going to put your money where your mouth is, Clod?”

Of course and you?



 Jonathan.Link » Thu May 09, 2013 8:41 am
((We can do additional fights simultaneously. With the stipulation that, Twigberry gets to rest and recover any fatigue lost between bouts and if he should happen to lose somehow that the bout follows on the subsequent evening. The same purse will be offered, so some lucky grog could end up very rich…))


 cunningrat1 » Thu May 09, 2013 9:15 am
“Oh, suure…”
A muscular, unkempt-looking man, wearing ill-fitting homespun pants, shambles out of the corner of the tavern, carrying a tankard. He hands said tankard off to Falco with a “Hold my beer and watch this!” and takes up a position opposite Twigberries, scratching unselfconsciously at the mat of hair covering his chest before spreading his hands like he’s about to hug Twigberries. 

“All right. Let’s do this.”
(Init +1, Attack +10, Defense +8, Dam +1. Soak +5.)



 cunningrat1 » Thu May 09, 2013 9:19 am
Attack: bonus +10, roll of 9=19.
Defense: bonus +8, roll of 6=14.
Attempting to initiate a grapple.


 Jonathan.Link » Thu May 09, 2013 9:21 am
((Need initiative, and for my edification, who is this? Miroslav? ))


 cunningrat1 » Thu May 09, 2013 9:24 am
Jonathan.Link wrote:((Need initiative, and for my edification, who is this? Miroslav? ))

Init +1 + roll of 9=10.

You know who this is, we talked about it in PMs. 



 Jonathan.Link » Thu May 09, 2013 10:58 am
Twigberry gets an initiative of 8 against the unidentified man (Uman) fighting. CR and I know who’s fighting here, I’m leaving results in spoiler tags for this fight.

Twigberry: Attack total of 19 vs 14 defense AA of 5 +5 Damage -3 Soak is 7 damage
Uman: Attack Total of 19 vs a 20 defense

Twigberry delivers a pretty strong punch to the face, which Uman shakes off without any apparent effect. Twigberry’s deft footwork manages to keep him out of Uman’s grasp.



 cunningrat1 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:23 am
Uman’s grin threatens to split his head in two, large strong teeth gleaming in the bar’s dim light like a beacon. “Nice punch. Not good enough, but nice.” He crouches and bounces forward in odd little hops, stalking Twigberry through the bar, hands reaching out to grab and twist.
(( Same deal, going for a grapple. Attack 10  2 = 12, Defense 8 + 6 = 14. ))


 Jonathan.Link » Thu May 09, 2013 11:31 am
Twigberry attack of 21, vs defense of 14, AA 7
5-3, 9 damage.
Uman: Attack of 12, vs a defense of 22.

Twigberry lands another solid punch, this time a body blow, and he felt something, but it wasn’t a whole lot. Uman realizes that if Twigberry manages to land a decent blow at a vulnerable spot, he’s going to feel it… Twigberry makes what appears to be an acrobatic move and avoids the grapple.



 cunningrat1 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:42 pm
Uman gives an excited little grunt. It’s been a long time since someone’s challenged him so thoroughly. However, the little guy is staying out of range, and that’s beginning to piss him off. Time for a change in tactics.

Uman crouches, and hops up onto the nearest table, leaping off from it. The table overbalances and topples with a crash, but Uman is already in the air, leaping over Twigberry’s head and twisting in midair: the idea being to land behind Twigberry and grab him before he can react. 

Jumping roll: Dex 4, Athletics 31, Good Jumper 3, Perfect Balance +6, roll of 8= 25.
Attack: 10
 roll of 3=13, plus any bonus from the maneuver.
Defense: 8 + roll of 6=14.



 Jonathan.Link » Thu May 09, 2013 1:48 pm
I’ll give the bonus a +6 to the attack, but I’m going to delay the attack a bit, due to the multiple actions involved, so Twigberry gets his shot in, first.

Twigberry: Attack of 18 vs a defense of 14, AA of 4 + 5 damage -3 soak is 6, no effect
Uman: Attack of 13+6 vs a defense of 15, so it is a success, the grapple strength is 6.

Uman successfully grapples Twigberry, despite taking a hit to the chest, which again saw no apparent effect on Uman. People in the bar are wondering just who this guy is, and so is Twigberry.

Next round actions:
Twigberry Attack 18 vs Uman’’s defense of 15
Umans attack vs a defense of 33 probably means no additional grapple strength is added.

Twigberry makes a move to get out of the grapple in the next round, with a total attack of 18 against the 6 Grapple strength (plus any that might get added by Uman’s attack, which is unlikely. Twigberry is still held but is making progress for getting free.



 cunningrat1 » Thu May 09, 2013 3:17 pm
((Post edited ’cause JL pointed out something I missed.))

Uman attempts to maintain his grip on the slippery Twitberries. Attack +10 + roll of 5 =15. Defense +8 +roll of 4 = 12.



 Marko Markoko » Fri May 10, 2013 8:14 am
Jonathan.Link wrote:I’ll go ahead and add that Junior can do an awareness check, if he’d like, to ascertain whether he really is more skilled than Twigberry it won’t impose any penalty on other actions.

First a botch die for the screwy manuver I tried with the Action Priority roll…
1d10=10
 
Botch.
I would think that would cause Junior to loose his action this round. Maybe a Defense roll.
He will not throw in the towel. He will keep going until he gets knocked the FFFF out.
Awareness roll: Perception 1, Awareness 1 (in a fight, die roll +3…
1d10
3=10
and a defense roll…
Defense 11+1, -3, & a die
1d10+11+1-3=11
and boy did that suck…



 Jonathan.Link » Fri May 10, 2013 8:33 am
Marko Markoko wrote:Am I to presume his wave to mean he is Delaying his action and waiting for me to come at him? If so, Junior will likewise Delay his action. He will wait for Twigberry to come at him.
My hope is, if you allow (referencing rules from Lords of Men page 118 & 119), for Junior to hold his Delay over until Twigberry attacks, then try to Interrupt his attack with an Action Priority roll. Twigberry is quick, but Junior is banking that he has superior skill.
Junior plans to Interrupt Twigberry with a Throw, grabbing him as he comes at me (Junior) and toss him over my head as I fall back. Then try to Pin him the next round (LoM, p.132-133)

If Permitted and things work out in the anticipated sequence..
Action Priority roll (SD + Quick + Brawl – Enc – Fatigue)
1d10+1+9-3=17
Ignore that math, he rolled a zero 
How many botch dice?

Marko Markoko wrote:
Jonathan.Link wrote:I’ll go ahead and add that Junior can do an awareness check, if he’d like, to ascertain whether he really is more skilled than Twigberry it won’t impose any penalty on other actions.

First a botch die for the screwy manuver I tried with the Action Priority roll…
1d10=10
 
Botch.
I would think that would cause Junior to loose his action this round. Maybe a Defense roll.
He will not throw in the towel. He will keep going until he gets knocked the FFFF out.
Awareness roll: Perception 1, Awareness 1 (in a fight, die roll +3…
1d10
3=10
and a defense roll…
Defense 11+1, -3, & a die
1d10+11+1-3=11
and boy did that suck…

Johan lets Twigberry come at him, and attempts to exploit a perceived opening Twigberry had, but it was a clever feint, and Twigberry unleases a devestating attack.
Twigberry: Attack total of 22 vs Johan’s defense of 11, for an AA of 11 +5 -1 soak is 15. Junior loses two fatigue levels and incurs a light wound, as well. He’s unconscious and needs to take it easy for a week.
Johan: Attack total of what attack? 

Just before Twigberry’s fist connects with Johan’s ribs, he thinks he’s got a chance. And then the punch lands, and he hears a crack, or thinks he does, it’s tough to tell, because a number of things pass through Junior’s mind just before he collapses into a heap. He really is pretty good, better than Johan had initially thought. And he hits really hard, and seems to have an unlimited capacity to absorb pain.

Twigberry brushes breaths on his nails and buffs them on his tunic. "The poor lad is overcome. Who’s next?"



 Jonathan.Link » Fri May 10, 2013 8:53 am
((CR, I’m waiting for your next attack, attempt to increase grapple strength, etc…))


cunningrat1 » Fri May 10, 2013 9:02 am
Jonathan.Link wrote:((CR, I’m waiting for your next attack, attempt to increase grapple strength, etc…))

(( Could you please re-state what the current situation is there? ))



Jonathan.Link » Fri May 10, 2013 9:05 am
Uman has a weak grip on Twigberry. Attacks that overcome TB’s defense strengthen the hold. If TB “attacks” and overcomes Uman’s defense and grapple strength he breaks free, it will inflict a light wound on Uman. I’ll leave it up to you if Uman knows this, or cares. 


 cunningrat1 » Fri May 10, 2013 9:19 am
Jonathan.Link wrote:Uman has a weak grip on Twigberry. Attacks that overcome TB’s defense strengthen the hold. If TB “attacks” and overcomes Uman’s defense and grapple strength he breaks free, it will inflict a light wound on Uman. I’ll leave it up to you if Uman knows this, or cares. 

(( Knows, maybe. Cares, no. Someone else might care, he doesn’t.  ))
Uman, breathing in excited little grunts, attempts to cement his hold on Twitberry, trying to lock the smaller man into a full nelson. 
(( I don’t remember if he gets to have a Confidence score. If he does, he’ll spend a Confidence point on attack.))
Attack: 10 + roll of 7=17.(20 w/Confidence)
Defense: +8 + roll of 4=12.



Jonathan.Link » Fri May 10, 2013 9:32 am
TB: Defense of 20 against an attack of 17 Uman spends confidence and adds his combat ability in, so the total is 176=23, 23-20=3, increases the grapple strength to +6
TB: Attack of 20 vs a Defense of 12 is an AA of 8, in excess of the new grapple strength.

Twigberry allows Uman to tighten his grip and then smiles at him, and asks, You got a good grip, yet?" and smashes his forehead into Uman’s nose, immediately after he asks. Blood flies from Uman’s nose, and he loses his grip. Uman has a light wound and is at -1 to any subsequent actions. I think this might be the point where Uman was going to disengage, but maybe not… 



cunningrat1 » Fri May 10, 2013 9:42 am
Uman says “owww” in a very small voice and backs off, shaking his head. “All right, fine,” he pouts. “Your match.”


 Jonathan.Link » Fri May 10, 2013 9:45 am
Twigberry looks at Uman for a bit, and then whispers something into his ear…


 Jonathan.Link » Fri May 10, 2013 9:57 am
After the whisper, Twigberry tosses several coins from his purse to the barman, and says "Drinks are on me."

And after the roar from the crowd dies down, "I’m done for tonight, but if anyone wants a go at me tomorrow, I’ll come by."



 cunningrat1 » Fri May 10, 2013 10:01 am
Uman gives Twigberry a terribly startled and very, very confused look, and slinks out the door, muttering something to himself.


 Marko Markoko » Sun May 12, 2013 10:41 am
Jonathan.Link wrote:After the whisper, Twigberry tosses several coins from his purse to the barman, and says "Drinks are on me."

And after the roar from the crowd dies down, "I’m done for tonight, but if anyone wants a go at me tomorrow, I’ll come by."

Junior will be there 



 Jonathan.Link » Sun May 12, 2013 12:12 pm
Even wounded?


 Marko Markoko » Sun May 12, 2013 8:36 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:Even wounded?

Bruised rib, bah. Just means he’s gotta push a little harder.
The kid is an uncouth ruffian. Hell, don’t you guys remember what it was like being a young man only 21 years old?
 

Maybe he will warm up with a preliminary bout against someone else. He will even suggest as much. If there are no takers, then he will probably act obnoxious until he starts a fight (trying to play the Social Handicap aspect of the character)



 Jonathan.Link » Sun May 12, 2013 9:00 pm
Twigberry shows up the next night, as promised and offers a purse the same size as last night…
“You sure you want to go again?”

((Roll initiative, attack, defense.))



 Marko Markoko » Sun May 12, 2013 9:39 pm
Junior wrote:Junior VanHalen
Characteristics: Int 0, Per +1, Com +0, Pre +1, Str +2, Sta +1, Dex +2, Quik +1
Size: 0
Virtues: +0 Covenfolk, +1 Affinity with Brawl, +1 Improved Characteristics, +1 Puissant Brawl
Flaws: -1 Reckless, -1 Social Handicap, -1 Warped by Magic
Soak: +1
Combat
Dodge (Wrestle): Init +1, Atk n/a (
10), Def 9, Dmg n/a (2)
Fistfight: Init 1, Atk +10, Def +9, Dmg +2
Bludgeon: Init +1, Atk +12, Def +9, Dmg +4
(add +1 attack/defense if in a barfight)
Relevant Abilities: Athletics 1 (climb), Awareness 1 (in a fight), Brawl* 6
2 (bar fights), Carouse 3 (games of chance), Folk Ken 2 (rabble), Guile 1 (play ignorant), Leadership 1 (intimidation)

Grapple manuver, try to put him in a sleeper hold or a headlock, spending Fatigue on the initial attack…

1d10=6, 1d10=9, 1d10=2
Initiative 7
Attack 28
Defense 11

(totals include a -1 penalty for the cracked rib)



Jonathan.Link » Mon May 13, 2013 7:28 am
Twigberry’s speed means gives him initative again, with a total of 13
TB’s Attack of 10 against Junior’s defense of 11 is ineffective.
Junior’s grappling attack of 28 against a defense of 18, yields a grapple strength of 10 on TB.

TB’s heart isn’t in it, it seems. And while Junior and TB are dancing around the other to find the best opening, Twigberry begins reciting some Aristotle, “Aristotle wrote, in Nichomachean Ethics, ‘Some vices miss what is right because they are deficient, others because they are excessive, in feelings or in actions, while virtue finds and chooses the mean.’”

((Anyone who is educated should probably be alerted that this is a lesson, as much as it is a sparring match… And maybe others in the covenant, such as magi or their associates [companions] might be interested. I’ll leave it up to the players as to who gets involved here.))



 Marko Markoko » Mon May 13, 2013 9:20 pm
Quit yer yappin and give it up, Twiggberry!
Junior maintains the hold and tries forcing him into submission
1d10=10
This is just to sureal not to be funny
1d10=4
whew
0 + 11 – 1 = 10


Jonathan.Link » Mon May 13, 2013 9:30 pm
Need a defense roll so I can tell of TB breaks grapple.


 Marko Markoko » Mon May 13, 2013 10:16 pm
1d10+10-1=10
Rolled a 1 in that equation…
1d10=7
that’s 14, +10, -1, equals 23


 Jonathan.Link » Tue May 14, 2013 7:55 am
TB: Attack of 33 vs Johan’s defense of 23, 10 goes against the grapple strength, which breaks the grapple, giving Johan a second light wound.
Junior:Attack of 10, vs a defense of 18.

“Effective, should you engage in Combat with Valerian, this would be an effective maneuver. Fortunately, I am not he.” Twigberry’s arms are locked, up, but his feet are still free, and he wraps one leg around Juniors, and then lifs his other leg and kick’s Johan’s unsecured leg out from under him, while pulling with the leg wrapped around Johan, the sudden weight on Johan’s unanchored leg, causes the pair to fall to the ground and Johan feels something dig hard into the spot Twigberry last tweaked. The maneuver leaves Twigberry a bit breathless, but Johan is now at a -2 for all actions.
“This isn’t life or death son, there’s no reason to put it all on the line.” The comment seems calculated to do exactly the opposite, though, and he has a huge grin on his face as he says it.



 Marko Markoko » Wed May 15, 2013 1:20 am
I’d be better than you without your magic, but that’s what makes it challenging. And the only way to get better is to keep challenging yourself. Now put up or shut up!
Attack and Defense rolls are 1d10=5, 1d10=7.
Attack 14, Defense 15 (as adjusted for injury)
He is making another (probably unsuccessful) attempt at grappling.


 Jonathan.Link » Wed May 15, 2013 8:19 am
“Ahh, but I am not using any magic. I am just better than you.”

TB:Attack of 29, vs a defense of 15, 14 AA, which inflicts 2 fatigue and a light wound, which should put him at a total of -6, -3 from fatigue, and -3 from 3 light wounds.
Junior:Attack of 14, vs a defense of 22.

Twigberry unleashes a devastating attack on Juniors mid section, pummeling the points all around his previous injury. Twigberry looks a bit more winded, too. "Don’t get me wrong, you are good. Very good. I’ve not exerted myself so, in quite some time. I find it refreshing. But you’re treading dangerously close to a severe injury by continuing. There is no dishonor to withdraw here, but there is much if you continue and injure yourself further."

Whether or not Junior continues, he does add say to the covenant, "You may have any magus or maga of the covenant come and determine whether I am using magic."



 Marko Markoko » Thu May 16, 2013 3:40 pm
Junior spits blood.
I ain’t giving up. Now put up or shut up!


 Jonathan.Link » Thu May 16, 2013 3:53 pm
“By all means, my good man.” Twigberry smiles…
((Go ahead and do your rolls for Junior))


Peregrine_Bjornaer » Thu May 16, 2013 8:26 pm
Shortly after sundown, the third evening that Twigberry is holding court at the tavern, a giant man, standing about nine feet tall with long red hair tied back in a braid going down his back, enters, looks around, smiles, and makes his way to the sturdiest-looking bench, chair, stool, or anything that looks like it would bear his weight. He smiles easily at everyone, but even as good-looking as he is, he still seems a little shady.

He calls over one of the serving girls (the blond with the nice…) and rests his hand on her arm familiarly as he asks for a glass of the local red. He then looks around at everyone, smiling, his eyes lingering on Twigberry.



Jonathan.Link » Thu May 16, 2013 9:27 pm
Is he staring at Twigberry’s twig and berries?


 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Thu May 16, 2013 9:48 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:Is he staring at Twigberry’s twig and berries?

Oh, he’s definitely checking them out, but he’s trying to be discreet about it. Maybe Guile roll of 13 to not be obvious about it.



 Marko Markoko » Fri May 17, 2013 8:09 am
Jonathan.Link wrote:“By all means, my good man.” Twigberry smiles…
((Go ahead and do your rolls for Junior))

Let’s just say TB knocks Junior out again, not in the mood myself to drive it on forever. He has a few broken ribs, he gets Roberto to cast Gentle Touch of Purification to help him heal (or rather, he goes to get his ribs taped up, er, bandaged?, and Roberto casts the spell while interrogating him, Junior dodges questions but Roberto figures out somethings up (and later Carlos tells him anyway). The third night, the scene Peregrine is describing now. Junior goes back for another try and Roberto has Cidito follow him.
It ain’t about pride. Junior wants that money!
He walks boldly in the tavern, acting as if nothing pains him at all (Guile roll: 1d10=6, +0 Comm (body language), +1 Guile, = 7
Cidito walks in from around the corner.
Giant sized character checks out twig and berries…
your on PB 



Jonathan.Link » Fri May 17, 2013 8:17 am
Alright, instead of inflicting anymore damage, TB grapples, and effectively puts Junior into a sleeper hold until he passes out, since he doesn’t want to hurt him anymore.

TB’s not here for a fight on the third night. His knuckles hurt. 
But he is paying for drinks, since he’s that kind of guy. After several moments of the tall guy watching TB, TB approaches him. "How’s the view from up there?" He says it casually, in a manner that is referencing his height, but he puts the emphasis on ‘view,’ rather than on ‘up their.’



 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Fri May 17, 2013 7:38 pm
((Fionn isn’t planning on getting into a fight. But it seems like there’s been a couple every night the last couple of nights…and from what Fiona hears from her sources (i.e. Moire), the tavern isn’t usually that rowdy. So, he sponts a version of Doublet of Impenetrable Silk on his tunic and his pants; CT is Sta 3 + Mu 17 + An 7 + Aura 5 + (die rolls of 1 and 8) 16 = 48, halved is 24 on the tunic, and (die roll of 0, with a Botch Check of 7) = 32, halved is 16 on the pants. So, if he does get into a scrap, his Soak would be Sta 3 + Corpus bonus 3 + Robes bonus 3 = +9.))
Jonathan.Link wrote:Alright, instead of inflicting anymore damage, TB grapples, and effectively puts Junior into a sleeper hold until he passes out, since he doesn’t want to hurt him anymore.

TB’s not here for a fight on the third night. His knuckles hurt. 
But he is paying for drinks, since he’s that kind of guy. After several moments of the tall guy watching TB, TB approaches him. "How’s the view from up there?" He says it casually, in a manner that is referencing his height, but he puts the emphasis on ‘view,’ rather than on ‘up their.’

“Quite delightful,” Fionn says as he claps TB jovially on the shoulder (and incidentally extending his parma over him, so he’s currently covering TB and the barmaid). "And thank you for the drink. Most generous of you…although, from what I hear, it weren’t exactly your money." Fionn grins at the joke.



 Jonathan.Link » Fri May 17, 2013 7:53 pm
“Ahh, my good man, you are misinformed. I’ve paid for the drinks the last few nights, and the bet wasn’t if I win then I get your money, it was if they won, they got my money. No one did. And so I buy drinks, with my own money. Good fun all around. What do you do around here, your Latin is quite good.”


 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Fri May 17, 2013 8:37 pm
“Thank you. I do a little of this and that, working with the magi, mostly. But mainly with my cousin. And you? I don’t think I’ve seen you around before. In fact,” his eyes flick down briefly as he smiles playfully, "I know I haven’t. I’d remember."


 Jonathan.Link » Fri May 17, 2013 8:49 pm
“Yes, I am most impressive.” No sense of that he considers himself any less. "I decided to take the night off from fighting. I’ve learned enough. There are some capable, if undisciplined men here. Valerian would likely clean their clocks. The magi here need to institute an unarmed fighting regimen. Or that’s what Cumhachd thinks, based on my recommendation. Valerian’s coprus is weak, haven’t you heard?“ He says that suggestively, brushing his hand against his twig and berries.


 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Fri May 17, 2013 9:28 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:”Yes, I am most impressive.“ No sense of that he considers himself any less. ”I decided to take the night off from fighting. I’ve learned enough. There are some capable, if undisciplined men here. Valerian would likely clean their clocks. The magi here need to institute an unarmed fighting regimen. Or that’s what Cumhachd thinks, based on my recommendation. Valerian’s coprus is weak, haven’t you heard?" He says that suggestively, brushing his hand against his twig and berries.

((May I safely assume that sometime between the first of summer and here, that Fiona and Celestina would have gotten together to break in Fiona’s new manlier form?))

“I hadn’t,” Fionn says as he springs to life at Twigberry’s touch1. "But I’ll be sure to second your suggestion next time I see Roberto. You can never be too well-defended."

He leans in and whispers in Twigberry’s ear, "Do you think you can handle me, handsome stranger? And would you like to continue this…conversation in more intimate surroundings?"

1The dice said that Fiona was apparently strongly, if subconsciously, influenced by Jormungandr and Praxiteles when she crafted her body for The Succubus’s Trick. Link is totally safe for work. But that’s more or less what she’s packing, for a normal size body. Scale upward as appropriate.



 Jonathan.Link » Fri May 17, 2013 9:44 pm
“Your place or mine? Pitching or catching?” He inquires curiously. 
((Marko, whenever you can post, have Cidito do what you want, presuming it happens while he’s distracted with the big hulking hunk of man before him.))


 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Fri May 17, 2013 10:15 pm
“Yours. And why don’t we take turns? I’m sure we can find plenty of ways to amuse ourselves in between, as well.” Fionn licks his lips in anticipation and rises from the bench, finishing his wine, smiling at the barmaid before he focuses his attention on Twigberry.


 Marko Markoko » Sat May 18, 2013 10:31 am
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:…and incidentally extending his parma over him….

I apologize for being nitpicky, but I do not believe you can do that. The other party has to willingky accept, which implies that they must know what is going on.
But however you guys wanna play it. I think TB is alreafy covered by parma 

And TB speaks Flemish I think. I just checked, and that’s Junior’s only language.
He talks to the cat alot 

Speaking of cats, Cidito is just hanging out being a cat. Later at night, when everyone is drunk, that’s when he can get away with sitting upright and being anthropormorphic.
And speaking of anthropormorphic, Cidito thinks he knows what is going on here. His conclusion may be incorrect, but he has concluded it. Hoomans being the hairless apes that they are. He snickers while imagining how Carlos is going to react latter when he tells him the girl he has been romancing is really a guy.



 Jonathan.Link » Sat May 18, 2013 11:56 am
TB never objected, and the fact that he claimed he was a grog of Cumhachd’s he should be reasonably familiar with the process…


 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sat May 18, 2013 4:12 pm
Marko Markoko wrote:I apologize for being nitpicky, but I do not believe you can do that. The other party has to willingky accept, which implies that they must know what is going on.
But however you guys wanna play it. I think TB is alreafy covered by parma 

((No, you’re right, I had forgotten the “with their consent” clause in the Parma description, and Fiona/Fionn’s pretending to not be a magus for a while, just to see what happens. Going all Inception, role-play within role-play. So, he wouldn’t have extended his Parma over the barmaid either.

Saves me having to ask what happens if you extend your Parma over someone who already has Parma, whether you can tell or not. Since you need consent, if you offer to extend your Parma over someone and they say, “Nah, I’m good,” that should be a clue that they’re probably not mundane.))

((Oh, and is it too late to change Fionn’s answer to “Catching”? Considering he’s 9 foot tall, and built the way he is… And I’m sure Fiona’s gone Greek before, so it wouldn’t be that new.))



 Jonathan.Link » Sat May 18, 2013 5:04 pm
TB’s most accommodating and has no issue with catching/switching it up.
In any event, is Fiona staying until sunrise?


 Peregrine_Bjornaer » Sat May 18, 2013 5:12 pm
Jonathan.Link wrote:TB’s most accommodating and has no issue with catching/switching it up.
In any event, is Fiona staying until sunrise?

Not quite.He will beg off shortly before sunrise. He is suitably impressed by TB’s capabilities, and Fionn will bid him adieu with a deep lingering kiss and a few last fondles.


Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting

In the Ruins of Bibracte jonathanlink Peregrine_Bjornaer