To Live And Lie In Normandy

1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:28 pm by Jonathan.Link

Stultus recieves a letter in the late spring, nearly by midsummer.

Stultus,

You may not know me, but I know something of you. You’ll excuse this method of introduction, I hope, but it is with some urgency that I seek you out. I have decided, in the interests of balance, that if we are to maintain two Primuses, that we must maintain two Tratiors. Cumhachd didn’t think you would be up to the task, but I decided to try, in any event. I’m inviting you and some select others to Confluensis to take part in a competition of sorts to determine who will be the second Traitor. Come, if you think you are capable.

Augustina

((The two primuses of House Tytalus was tabled, for Grand Tribunal, with no pressing matters requiring the vote of the Primuses of a House, it was deferred until the next Tribunal. No one seemed to care, the Tytali present cared least of all.))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:53 pm by cunningrat1

Stultus snorts quietly as he reads the letter. “Cumhachd didn’t think you would be up to the task” indeed. In-very-deed. The last time he fell for that sort of emotional manipulation was … mumble years ago — entirely too many. Does Augustina think she’s dealing with a tyro?

Accordingly, he heads off to find Korvin… or whoever is wearing the Princeps hat. (Who IS scheduled to wear the Princeps hat in 1229?)

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:05 pm by Jonathan.Link

((There is no more Princeps rotation, at this time. Korvin is Princeps. He may or may not be available, as I haven’t nailed down the exact timing of his story. Assume for whatever reason that Korvin isn’t available.
We can say with some surety that Fiona is available, since her story takes place in 1228.2
There is also your House brother Marcus out and about. My intent, and it is reasonable for Stultus to jump to this conclusion is that Augustina is reporting what was said to her as the truth, and that it is Cumhachd that is doing the manipulating.))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:19 pm by cunningrat1

(( All right then. Got the note about Marcus. ))

Stultus walks up to Fiona’s cottage, unhurriedly — in the middle of summer, the garden around the Ex Miscellanea’s cottage is a true treat for the senses. He stops in several places to admire the flowers and listen to the humming of bees, wondering idly whether this upcoming trip counts as walking down the primrose path, or the garden path.

Once he makes it to the door, he knocks, requesting politely to see Fiona.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:39 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

cunningrat1 wrote:
(( All right then. Got the note about Marcus. ))

Stultus walks up to Fiona’s cottage, unhurriedly — in the middle of summer, the garden around the Ex Miscellanea’s cottage is a true treat for the senses. He stops in several places to admire the flowers and listen to the humming of bees, wondering idly whether this upcoming trip counts as walking down the primrose path, or the garden path.

Once he makes it to the door, he knocks, requesting politely to see Fiona.

((1229 already? My how time flies! ))

Moire invites Stultus into the foyer. “Make yourself comfortable, I’ll see if the maga is free,” she says, then goes through a door opposite the main door and closes it behind her. Looking around the foyer, there’s not much comfort to be made: a couple of chairs (one substantially larger than the other), a set of cloak hooks on the wall, and a small table with a wash-stand on it.

It’s not long at all before Fiona comes in one of the other doors, one that leads into the dining room, and invites him in. “If I had knows you’d be coming to call as often as you do, I would have done something to make your visits more comfortable. Alas, all I have to offer is wine and the pleasure of my company,” she says with a smile. Moire pours two mugs of wine and sets them on the table, then curtsies and leaves the room.

“So, what brings you to my little corner of heaven, sodalis?” Fiona takes a sip of her wine as she looks at the Tytalus.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:30 pm by cunningrat1

Stultus smiles, replying gallantly “The pleasure of your company is all the comfort, and more, than any man may require.” He clambers into the offered chair, reaches for the wine with a grateful nod… and stops. “This is wine, correct, and not your special brew? That stuff…” He shakes his head, sounding half-pained and half-admiring. “It should be saved for special occasions. Goes down smooth as silk, hits like a silk-wrapped lead weight.”

After a few more pleasantries, he pulls a sheet of vellum out of his belt pouch. “The reason I came to you has, alas, little to do with the charm of your company. Put on your deputy Princeps hat. I got this letter…”

(( Cue other Tytalus. ))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:21 pm by Jonathan.Link

Marcus is snoring in the corner, apparently done in by Fiona’s brew…

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:43 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

Fiona reads the letter, then reads again, and yet a third time. “Augustina,” she says thoughtfully. “A Tytalus Quaesitor, aye? Caused a bit of a commotion at our Tribunal, as I recall,” she smiles.

She looks at Stultus. “She wants you to betray your House?” She taps her chin. “No, that’s not it…it sounds more like a title. A scapegoat of some kind? Any time something goes wrong in your House and they don’t know whose fault it is, they blame it on you?”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:05 am by cunningrat1

“Mmmm. Not precisely correct. Or rather, precisely not correct.” Stultus steeples his fingers. “Imagine, if you will, a large wheel, with several people standing on it. The wheel is spinning, so people are having trouble keeping their balance, and they whack at each other with long sticks. The one who is left standing is the winner.”

“Sounds like a fun game, right? Except if the wheel should slow down or stop entirely, the game becomes much less challenging for all participants. Much less fun. So someone needs to climb off and get it going again, but anyone who climbs off automatically loses the game, so no one is real eager to do that. Everyone just stands there pouting and wishing someone would spin the wheel again.”

“That’s the function of the Traitor. She has climbed down from the wheel. Voluntarily withdrawn herself from the game: lost it once and for all, sacrificed all the cachet she could ever have with the other players…. just so that when the wheel comes to a stop, she can start it spinning again and let everyone else have fun.”

He looks over at the form snoring in the corner. “Do I have that right, Marcus? … Marcus? Oh, buggeration.” He stretches his hand towards a plant pot in the corner (don’t tell me Fiona wouldn’t have a plant pot, I won’t believe you), extracts a small clump of earth, and tosses it at the other Tytalus. “Wake up, Marcus, there’s skullduggery afoot.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:52 pm by Jonathan.Link

“zzzZZZzzz” and other snorting sounds come out of his mouth. Marcus is passed out, head back in a chair and snoring. He might require some assistance in awakening, at least more than shouting and some gentle prodding.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:17 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

“Oh, bother,” Fiona mutters, then gets up and goes to where Marcus is sleeping the sleep of the “Oh God I wish I were dead.”

“Would you get the door, please?” she asks Stultus, indicating the door to her bedroom. She then carefully picks up Marcus and carries him to her bed, tucks him in, then closes the door behind her as she returns to the dining room and sits down again.

“So, basically, this ‘Traitor’ is someone who…goads the others in the house to action if he thinks they’ve become complacent or the, and please don’t take this the wrong way, the games they play become stale and predictable.” She thinks for a minute. “And the ‘traitor’ is outside the game, so no one has anything to gain by involving him in their schemes? In effect, making him untouchable?”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:49 pm by cunningrat1

Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:
“Would you get the door, please?” she asks Stultus, indicating the door to her bedroom.

“Awww,” complains Stultus as he goes to get the door. “I was all set to decorate him. Braid some ribbons in his hair… some kohl, some rouge… he’d be a different man when he woke up.” His sense of humor can be decidedly juvenile at times.

Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:
“So, basically, this ‘Traitor’ is someone who…goads the others in the house to action if he thinks they’ve become complacent or the, and please don’t take this the wrong way, the games they play become stale and predictable.” She thinks for a minute. “And the ‘traitor’ is outside the game, so no one has anything to gain by involving him in their schemes? In effect, making him untouchable?”

Stultus makes a face. “Untouchable in the sense that a pile of dog crap is untouchable. You can touch it, but why on earth would you want to? The social implications within the House are extreme.” He takes a small sip of his wine, swirling the rest around in his glass and staring moodily into it. “I am not so sure I want the job. I could do it — I could do almost anything if I had to — but it’s a sacrifice, no question about it. I do want to visit Confluensis, though…”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:17 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

cunningrat1 wrote:
Stultus makes a face. “Untouchable in the sense that a pile of dog crap is untouchable. You can touch it, but why on earth would you want to? The social implications within the House are extreme.” He takes a small sip of his wine, swirling the rest around in his glass and staring moodily into it. “I am not so sure I want the job. I could do it — I could do almost anything if I had to — but it’s a sacrifice, no question about it. I do want to visit Confluensis, though…”

“So, on the one hand, you would no longer be participating in the little…‘games’ that your house plays so well. On the other hand…you would no longer be participating in your house’s little games.” Fiona smiles, then gazes at Stultus through heavy-lidded eyes.

“I suppose it boils down to what you want,” she says after an awkwardly long moment.

“But, and perhaps this is part of why I’m not a Tytalus, I’m at a loss as to why you came to me. If anything, this looks like either a House affair or a personal decision you have to make. Why come to the Vice Princeps? What am I missing?”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:33 pm by cunningrat1

Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:
“But, and perhaps this is part of why I’m not a Tytalus, I’m at a loss as to why you came to me. If anything, this looks like either a House affair or a personal decision you have to make. Why come to the Vice Princeps? What am I missing?”

“Two reasons. I wanted to get your opinion on the letter, because I trust your judgment. And, I wanted to make some arrangements before leaving for Confluensis. I will be leaving Rahere behind…”

>>>The hell you will!<<< comes an indignant mental message from Rahere. Stultus sighs and holds up a finger. “Wait just a moment, please, Fiona.”

>>>Yes, I will. Think about it, Rahere. I will need to know what’s going on back at Mons Electi… and I will be walking into the headquarters of House Guernicus in Normandy. If things go pear-shaped, Mons Electi will need to know. I’m sorry to do this to you, I really am. I will miss you sorely. But it’s necessary, and not open to discussion.<<<

“Anyway, as I was saying, I will be leaving Rahere behind. If there are any major issues that arise during my absence, I’d like for him to be included in the conversation. I will be able to listen through him, and he can relay any messages if needed.” He shrugs, his mouth twisting wryly. “Tranquillina will be livid, of course. I have no idea why she hates Rahere as much as she does, and I’ve tried my best to minimize their exposure to each other, but right now… the need for communication trumps her tender sensibilities.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:47 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

Fiona purses her lips thoughtfully.

“Assuming that you win the post as one of the two Traitors, will you be abiding here, or will you have to move elsewhere?

And how long do you expect to be gone?"

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:59 pm by cunningrat1

“I don’t know how long I’ll be gone: your guess is as good as mine. But I think I will be returning to Mons Electi — I am not aware of any requirement for the Traitor to reside at Confluensis.”

“I don’t know that I want to win the post, to be honest. Might have to take a dive or something.” He shrugs. “I considered not going, but I’m Tytalus enough to grab with both hands at a chance to compete, even with the grandmother of all booby prizes as the reward. I can watch myself jumping through hoops like a trained dog, and be disgusted at the sight — but I can’t stop myself from jumping.”

He pauses, quirking his head to one side as he reviews what just came out of his mouth — and leans forward, placing the goblet on the table with a decisive thump. “Right. I’m getting maudlin. No more wine for the shrimp, he can’t handle it.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:51 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

cunningrat1 wrote:
“I don’t know how long I’ll be gone: your guess is as good as mine. But I think I will be returning to Mons Electi — I am not aware of any requirement for the Traitor to reside at Confluensis.”

“I don’t know that I want to win the post, to be honest. Might have to take a dive or something.” He shrugs. “I considered not going, but I’m Tytalus enough to grab with both hands at a chance to compete, even with the grandmother of all booby prizes as the reward. I can watch myself jumping through hoops like a trained dog, and be disgusted at the sight — but I can’t stop myself from jumping.”

He pauses, quirking his head to one side as he reviews what just came out of his mouth — and leans forward, placing the goblet on the table with a decisive thump. “Right. I’m getting maudlin. No more wine for the shrimp, he can’t handle it.”

“I’ll talk to Korvin, give him a heads up on the situation. Under the circumstances, and given your proven ability to communicate through Rahere, I have no problem with him keeping your seat warm for you.”

She leans over, rests her hand on his leg, and gives him a kiss on the cheek, just missing his lips. “Do us proud, sodalis. And win, lose, or draw, you’ll always be welcome here.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:58 am by Jonathan.Link

“Don’t you wonder why you were chosen for this, Stultus? Traditionally, the Traitor stays close to House Guernicus, either at Magvillus or at Confluensis. The become a Hoplite or a Quaesitor, eventually. Indeed, Augustina had earned that title, in many respects, already, since Proctor always gave her the most dangerous assignments possible. Do you see yourself being able to be a Hoplite or a Quaesitor?” Marcus asks as he opens the door from the bedroom. “Do you really care what the rest of the House thinks of you, so much?”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:38 pm by cunningrat1

Stultus turns to Marcus, silently grateful to the man for giving him an excuse not to deal with Fiona kissing him. “Hah. You WERE awake. Thought so.” He shrugs. “Honestly, I’m not that concerned with either possibility. The image of me as a hoplite is a ludicrous notion, and the image of me as a Quaesitor only slightly less so. They’d be fools to give me either job — greater Fools than me.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:53 pm by Jonathan.Link

“And in that, I think you have found your answer. Think about who the Traitors have been. And think about what the Fool does. Everyone has a part to play, and what part does the Fool play?”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:39 pm by cunningrat1

((Even though the player missed this, and will be facepalming for quite a while, I’m going to stay Stultus didn’t.))

“That’s… not really the issue, Marcus. Let me answer your question with a question.” (Yay, rhetoric duel.) “What is it that makes the Fool so effective in his chosen role? How does he get away with so much?”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:53 pm by Jonathan.Link

“Don’t care. That’s my role. I have bigger problems, as I’m an actual contestant. This will be the challenge you have to overcome. You know how we are when we’re together, normally. Honest, unfailingly polite, with the occasional sarcastic comment dropped, because, well, it’s true. This will be much different. People will lie to you. All the time. But they will believe the lies, because they’ve lied to themselves. Everyone who shows up to compete has successfully lied to themselves that they don’t want to be the Traitor, or a second Traitor, including myself. But what is appealing about this to many, is that this is possibly a limited time endeavor, that a second traitor will only last so long as the House has two Primuses. Augustina worked up something with me which culminated at Tribunal. The only reason I agreed is because it was on someone outside of the House. This is so very different. This could be her trick on the entire House, on every Tytalus. That she doesn’t trust herself enough to be the judge says quite a bit.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:03 pm by cunningrat1

Stultus compresses his lips. “You know Augustina far better than I do, and you know her situation. Is it tradition that makes the Traitor stay close to the Quaesitors? Or is it the Quaesitors who like to keep the Traitor on a short leash?”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:17 pm by Jonathan.Link

“Yes. Since the Corruption, it has been this way. Of course, was the corruption a tool used by House Guernicus to weaken the House? I suspect that fewer in the House were consorting with Demons than House Guernicus would have you believe. Their method has been simple and effective. Use the truth, to tell a lie, because the truth will make it go down a little bit easier. But, that’s beside the point.” And then considers, “Maybe.”
“Bilera is a bitch, and effective at what she does. Could she have played me through Augustina? Would she so publicly humiliate her own filius?” Marcus gets lost in though, thinking through the possibilities of what Stultus suggested.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:48 pm by cunningrat1

Jonathan.Link wrote:
“Bilera is a bitch, and effective at what she does. Could she have played me through Augustina? Would she so publicly humiliate her own filius?” Marcus gets lost in though, thinking through the possibilities of what Stultus suggested.

“Depends on what she wanted — she struck me as someone who’d cast anyone to the dogs without a second thought if it was to her benefit. Here’s the thing, though. Let’s say I get past you in the competition. Let’s say I win. Now, I can flout….” Stultus breaks off in mid-sentence, his eyes growing huge. “Oh, wait a second….” he breathes, staring at nothing in particular with an expression of utter awe on his face. “That could work. Would be like balancing barefoot on a knife blade, but that could actually work!”

He blinks thoughtfully, still staring into space. “Marcus,” he says in an absent tone, “you’ve heard the rumors of the secret Guernicus rituals. You know anything more about them than rumors?”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:28 pm by Jonathan.Link

Marcus glances at Fiona, and says simply, “They’re not rumors.” He doesn’t say anymore, but Stultus should get the sense that Fiona might know more.
“But I think you misunderstand me. I don’t think she wants you to be the second Traitor. You play The Fool in mundane society, it’s much harder to do that in Hermetic Society, and many of us Tytalus already do that function. So, I think you’re role here is to judge who should be the second Traitor.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:45 pm by cunningrat1

“Well,” says Stultus. “Well, well, well. Deep subject.” He taps his lips with his fingertips thoughtfully. “Interesting idea, if so, although I’m not sold on your interpretation.”

He shrugs. “I guess we’ll find out, one way or the other. You want a ride to Confluensis? I’d love some company on the road.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:50 pm by Jonathan.Link

“Ride on what?” Marcus looks on suspiciously.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:58 pm by cunningrat1

Stultus grins. “Why, the Palindromedary, of course. Stick your head out the door and take a look if you want: it’s sitting right under the lilac bush. You too, Fiona: I just finished enchanting the thing, and I’m rather proud of it.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:08 pm by Jonathan.Link

Marcus takes a look outside. Marcus appears to be holding something back, and then says with a perfectly straight face, “Thanks all the same, but I think I’d rather ride my dragon.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:12 pm by cunningrat1

The dwarf humphs. “Well FINE. Go right ahead, Marcus, one-up me. I don’t mind, really.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:17 pm by Jonathan.Link

“If it makes you feel better, he doesn’t like it when I do that,” offers, trying to make up for any feelings that might have been hurt. “I just find that I need to start calling him a dragon before I try and convince him to take me somewhere.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:24 pm by cunningrat1

Stultus chuckles, waving off the apology. “Don’t worry about it, sodalis. No harm done.” (It’s pretty hard to hurt Stultus’ feelings. In his time at Mons Electi, there’s only been one person who managed to accomplish that feat, and that only once.)

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:21 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

Jonathan.Link wrote:
“Ride on what?” Marcus looks on suspiciously.

Fiona opens her mouth to speak, then closes again with a smile.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:37 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

cunningrat1 wrote:
Stultus grins. “Why, the Palindromedary, of course. Stick your head out the door and take a look if you want: it’s sitting right under the lilac bush. You too, Fiona: I just finished enchanting the thing, and I’m rather proud of it.”

Fiona looks at it and grins, obviously impressed. “Very nice. I would love to go riding with you on it sometime…but probably in my mascarade.”

She circles around and starts asking questions about its construction and enchantment.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:29 pm by Jonathan.Link

“Fiona, are you coming to watch?

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:34 pm by cunningrat1

Stultus answers the questions (as mentioned before, he’s rather proud of it) and then (unless Fiona or Marcus have something else to say) heads off to make other preparations and pack.

The other magi receive a note saying that he’s going to Confluensis. He’s also going to stop at Eboris, and while he has no plans to do so at the moment, he can also divert to Montverte or Dragon’s Rest without too much trouble, so if there’s any messages people want him to carry, please let him know. (He’s going to take a couple of bottles of Sobran’s wine and maybe a sheaf of the very best vellum as presents for Mathieus.)

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:39 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

Jonathan.Link wrote:
“Fiona, are you coming to watch?

“I would love to. I don’t know why I assumed it was a Tytalus-only event.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:42 pm by cunningrat1

Stultus peers at Fiona. “Oh. Well, in that case, assuming your masquerade is not prone to wearing off unexpectedly in midair, you’d be welcome to ride with me.” He smirks. “Unless you’d rather ride Marcus’s …. dragon, of course.” He also resigns himself to being groped all the way to Confluensis, but all things considered, there are probably worse ways to spend time.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:47 pm by Jonathan.Link

“No, it’s fine. When we select a primus or an apprentice gauntlet, we welcome anyone who might be interested. Augustina may have different plans, but I don’t really care.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:56 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

((It’s a Sun-duration spell, and she can also Muto her business robes to fit her mascarade, so she shouldn’t have to worry about the Hulk effect on them, unless someone dispels her Corpus spell. And she won’t grope him much. In fact, looking at the description, looks like there’s enough space between them that Fiona would have to really work to reach him comfortably. Party-pooper ))
Jonathan.Link wrote:
“No, it’s fine. When we select a primus or an apprentice gauntlet, we welcome anyone who might be interested. Augustina may have different plans, but I don’t really care.”

“Very well,” Fiona says with a nod. “Give me a few minutes to change, and I’ll be ready to go.”

She comes back shortly, in her Mascarade, with her Hermetic robes fitting snugly, and with a bit of a smile. She’s decided to pretend to have no interest in the men (or women) she sees, thinking that they might see her as a challenge, just to see what happens. We’ll see how long her resolve lasts, though

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:36 pm by cunningrat1

(( We’ll assume this takes place just prior to leaving, so people can give us messages to pass along and such. ))

Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:
“Very well,” Fiona says with a nod. “Give me a few minutes to change, and I’ll be ready to go.”

She comes back shortly, in her Mascarade, with her Hermetic robes fitting snugly, and with a bit of a smile. She’s decided to pretend to have no interest in the men (or women) she sees, thinking that they might see her as a challenge, just to see what happens. We’ll see how long her resolve lasts, though

Stultus looks briefly crestfallen. “Um. Can you make yourself invisible? This thing can’t go very high. I can veil myself, and it, but cannot veil you unless you drop your Parma.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:32 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

“Maybe. If I yell and gesture madly, I have a decent shot. I’d be better able to change my appearance…perhaps to a soaring bird? Although…”

Fiona smiles at Stultus. “If your spell is a Touch spell, I can be persuaded.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:44 pm by cunningrat1

Stultus just shakes his head, grinning. “The range of the spell is Touch. I am certain I could invent a variant with other, more suitable ranges — such as Fondle, Caress, or Grope — but I don’t have any … handy, so to speak. I’ll have to work on those later.”

“I’m just concerned about being seen from the ground, so fllying bird will do. So would flying butterfly, flying ant, or flying dust mote. Or I can veil you. Your choice, really.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:42 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

Fiona thinks for a second, then shakes her head. “I think I can handle this. Thank you anyway.” She then casts a spontaneous MuIm spell. ((Base 1 to “change one sensation of an object”, R: Personal, D: Sun +2, T: Individual, for a final Target Level of 3. Her CT is Sta 3 + Mu 17 + Im 5 + Aura 5 = 30, divided by 5 = 6.)) When she’s done, a song thrush with wings spread wide hovers in mid-air where Fiona had been. Her talisman stands upright, as though it were a large sapling.

“This could be a problem, couldn’t it?” Fiona asks. “Let me go secure this in my sanctum, I’ll be back in a trice.” The staff then floats off quickly, and before long the taxidermic thrush returns and hovers over the rear saddle of the Palindromedary, as Fiona secures the harness as best she can.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:46 am by cunningrat1

(( R: Per spells cover your talisman, I thought? Oh well, Fiona knows best, I suppose.))

Two castings of “Veil of Invisibility” remove first Stultus and then the Palindromedary from view. “Got yourself all settled in back there? Good. ‘For indeed, women excel at riding, and have a fine, firm seat for the gallop’.” Stultus laughs and kicks the item into motion: Mons Electi grows smaller as the Palindromedary gains height, and quickly dwindles in the distance.

(( JL, way I figure it, it’s about 6 hours’ travel to Eboris, and 6 more from Eboris to Confluensis. So I figured we’d stop over in Eboris, have dinner, exchange news, spend the night, and be on our way the next morning, arriving at Confluensis around dinner-time. So… feel free to pick up the story wherever you think appropriate. ))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:00 am by Jonathan.Link

((The letter sent was an invitation, but didn’t include any details on when to be there… I had thought Stultus would notice and write a letter agreeing to be there and either inquiring as to,details or waiting for the response to indicate. For the player, note the timing of the letter and match it to the date of the story . Don’t think you want to summer at Confluensis.))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:08 am by cunningrat1

(( You’re right, I’m a doofus. Yeah, we’ll travel there in the autumn, then. Can we assume appropriate letters are sent out and received and timing arranged, or do you want those actually played out?))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:11 am by gerg

Tranquillina would probably pen a friendly letter to Mathieus and accept Stultus’s offer to deliver it to him. (That’s assuming the two are talking eventually, after their friendly interactions in 1228.4! )

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:34 am by Jonathan.Link

((Part of Stultus’s back story is that he spent time at Eboris. Helped with the sweated schillings or what not. Although, Tranquillina may not know any of this. And to make it interesting, if Tranquillina heard wind of what was going on and Stultus’s plans, and still wasn’t speaking with him, she might write to Mathieus on Stultus’s behalf anyway, not telling him.))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:18 am by Peregrine_Bjornaer

cunningrat1 wrote:
(( R: Per spells cover your talisman, I thought? Oh well, Fiona knows best, I suppose.))

((No, you’re right. I was thinking that because the talisman was like two feet taller than she was, that it was too big, but I just checked the rules and all talismans are affected by R: Personal regardless. So I could have a freakin’ jousting lance twenty feet long and it would still be R: Personal. So, yeah, ignore that whole bit. She’ll just balance it on her lap and hope we don’t have to squeeze through any alleyways.))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:41 am by cunningrat1

Jonathan.Link wrote:
((Part of Stultus’s back story is that he spent time at Eboris. Helped with the sweated schillings or what not. Although, Tranquillina may not know any of this.))

(( She does. She had even written to Mathieus right after the tribunal meeting, asking him for an opinion of Stultus. ))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:30 am by Jonathan.Link

((So, how are you going to handle the Eboris layover (arrangements and the like)? I’ll presume you’ve written a note back to Augustina accepting, below is her reply. Since there’s a portal between Harco and Mons Electi and one between Harco and Confluensis, mail flies through without effort. I have this image of every portal to Harco also having a mail slot, where you can push your letters through and it goes into a box to be checked and collected by a redcap on the other side…))

Stultus,

It warms my heart to hear that you’ve agreed to take part in this endeavor. I had figured that Cumhachd’s language was a bit over the top, and she was using me to goad you, or something. Since I’m not involved in a rivalry, I can only speculate as to her and your motives with regards to each other. But I digress. You and I shall judge the competitors to determine who will be the second tratior. I have a favorite in mind, and I hope he succeeds, but my bias in this matter is suspect, and so I need your voice, your special and unique skills to see to the heart of things to determine if the favorite is truly the one.

Augustina

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:27 am by cunningrat1

Jonathan.Link wrote:
((So, how are you going to handle the Eboris layover (arrangements and the like)?))

(( Letters, letters, roly-poly letters… The visit to Mathieus is not all that important: if we go straight to Confluensis from Mons Electi, it’s only about a 10-hour trip. Only reason we’re stopping is because Stultus rather likes Mathieus and wants to visit with the man. Maybe run the playhouse idea past him.))

“Mathieus,

I hope this letter finds you well. I have a small favor to ask.
Myself and a sodalis (Fiona ex Miscellanea, a great friend of mine and a true giant among magi) shall be traveling to Confluensis on Insert-Date-Here; myself to take part in a Tytalus competition, her to point and laugh observe it. We would like to request the hospitality of Eboris for a night; we would also wish to impose on you further by requesting your presence at dinner, in order to catch up, exchange news, and partake of the fruits of Mons Electi’s vineyards. Please let us know whether this plan is acceptable to you.

Sincerely yours,
—Stultus Maximus ex Tytalus"
===================
“Augustina,

Cumhachd’s language was probably used in order to goad me, goad you, or both. I wouldn’t put either past the woman. Regardless, I shall be pleased to attend and to assist you in your task. It promises to be quite amusing.

I shall be bringing a sodalis with me; she wishes to observe Tytali ‘in the wild’. I humbly request accomodations for her, with extra-large and sturdy furniture if possible — she is quite physically imposing. An extra-large and sturdy bed would be particularly appropriate.

My thanks for the invitation, and I look forward to speaking with you in person.

Sincerely yours,
—Stultus Maximus ex Tytalus, filius Cumhachd
====================
“Gerulf,

During the rather memorable dinner with the residents of Mons Electi, you mentioned your research, and a number of people suggested a deeper investigation of Aristotle’s Metaphysics.

I do not remember whether I mentioned it at the time, but I have a friend — Huguet Zorzi, a Canon at Notre Dame Cathedral. He is thoroughly mundane, and does NOT know that I am a magus. However, he does happen to be an authority on Aristotle’s writings, and is a very intelligent man. If you wish to create a mundane identity for yourself, and write to him asking some questions about the Aristotelian view of the world, I shall be pleased to relay the letter when I visit Paris. You may wish to mention a scholar named Jaufre of Barcelona: that is the identity he knows me under.

My regards,
—Stultus"

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:09 pm by Jonathan.Link

Stultus,

My good friend, you are, of course, welcome to stop by for an evening. I have someone here who will be excited to see Fiona, too. I’m sure I can have a few of the sweated schillings about for you to corrupt, too! Until then!

Mathieus

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:15 pm by cunningrat1

((Okay, we can pretty much fast forward to Eboris/Confluensis as appropriate. I’m assuming Eboris is in the city, but has an Aegis. Stultus will bring the Palindromedary down in some out-of-the-way place just outside the Aegis — he’s spent a while in Eboris, he should be able to remember a dark alley or something, or an outbuilding that Eboris maintains for visitors.))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:43 pm by Jonathan.Link

No Aegis. A Divine aura of 4 or five really hinders a hermetic assault.
Post more after my oral surgeon consult.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:50 pm by cunningrat1

Jonathan.Link wrote:
No Aegis. A Divine aura of 4 or five really hinders a hermetic assault.

Oh. Then we ought to be able to just come down in the courtyard.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:54 pm by Jonathan.Link

Sure. Do that.
In the middle of Paris.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:02 pm by cunningrat1

Jonathan.Link wrote:
Sure.
Do that.
In the middle of Paris.

We’re invisible/masked by Imaginem. What am I missing?

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:08 pm by Jonathan.Link

Infernal lacunae and their residents?
It is Paris!
Badum-dum
Seriously. It’s not much more than a set of town houses, as I envision or recall.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:59 pm by Jonathan.Link

Ahh, here it is…
The Lion and the Lily, page 85 wrote:
Mathieus’ house is on the Rue de la Tabletterie, and is the office for an ivory-carving business. It was once a pilgrims’ hostelry, and is impressively large for this part of town. The house is three stories high, with many levels of basement. It has been refaced in a style that local aristocrats see as belonging to the new money

And then it goes on to mention that his (unnamed) sodales live scattered throughout the city.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:14 pm by cunningrat1

Okay, let’s put it this way. Given Stultus’ knowledge of Eboris and its environs, what would be the safest and least attention-attracting method of arrival? I don’t particularly want to have to lug the Palindromedary through the streets — even if we disguise it with Imaginem magic, Stultus can’t really carry it long distances, and while Fiona can, it’s not nice to use your sodalis as a pack mule.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:37 pm by Jonathan.Link

((Dang, now I’d love to see that scene.))
As best as I can tell from the map on page 81 of The Lion and the Lily is that there are some fields just inside the outer walls of Paris. Might be able to execute an evening landing with little problem, but that will leave you a few hour walk to Mathieus’s House. I’d be willing to say that there is a resident of the covenant (if we wanted to create such a magus) or covenfolk who work the land and can house the Palindromedary safely, that they’ve done similar things for other magi in the past.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:51 pm by cunningrat1

Jonathan.Link wrote:
((Dang, now I’d love to see that scene.))
As best as I can tell from the map on page 81 of The Lion and the Lily is that there are some fields just inside the outer walls of Paris. Might be able to execute an evening landing with little problem, but that will leave you a few hour walk to Mathieus’s House. I’d be willing to say that there is a resident of the covenant (if we wanted to create such a magus) or covenfolk who work the land and can house the Palindromedary safely, that they’ve done similar things for other magi in the past.

OK, that works, then.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:17 pm by Jonathan.Link

((How about you identify who the person is, magus1 or covenfolk, a name, a shared memory, something to play with, and I’ll run with it. I’m never good with coming up a name contemporaneously. Consider this your job since you decided to go from ME to Eboris to Confluensis, rather than via portals. ))

1 The magus may or may not be gently Gifted, since they are outside the city. I’m too busy with Cumhachd right now.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:37 pm by cunningrat1

Jonathan.Link wrote:
((How about you identify who the person is, magus1 or covenfolk, a name, a shared memory, something to play with, and I’ll run with it. I’m never good with coming up a name contemporaneously. Consider this your job since you decided to go from ME to Eboris to Confluensis, rather than via portals. ))

(( snickers You should know better, JL. Post coming later tonight, once the Spousal Overunit and I are done watching B5 for the night.))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:38 pm by Jonathan.Link

cunningrat1 wrote:
Jonathan.Link wrote:
((How about you identify who the person is, magus1 or covenfolk, a name, a shared memory, something to play with, and I’ll run with it. I’m never good with coming up a name contemporaneously. Consider this your job since you decided to go from ME to Eboris to Confluensis, rather than via portals. ))

(( snickers You should know better, JL. Post coming later tonight, once the Spousal Overunit and I are done watching B5 for the night.))

Who says I don’t?

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:36 pm by cunningrat1

Late that night, just after sunset, the now-visible Palindromedary comes floating gently down in an orchard outside Paris, pausing next to an apple tree just long enough for Stultus to grab an apple and hand one to Fiona. He unbuckles the harness, and climbs out, stretching. “Ow. My thighs may never forgive me. I’d ask how your thighs feel, but I’m not sure I want to know the answer.”

He polishes the apple on his sleeve, taking a bite. “I’ve forgotten just how good those are,” he says around a mouthful. “Do me a favor, please — give me a hand with this thing?” Stultus lifts one end of the Palindromedary — it’s not terribly heavy, just large and unwieldy. “We don’t have far to go, just to that house over there.”

The house is a peasant hut, although a large, sturdy, well-built example of its type. The owner is clearly prosperous as peasants go, and the fields and orchards around it (what’s visible around them in the dark) are neat and very well tended. The path takes Fiona and Stultus around the side of the house, past the windows that stand open to the warm autumn evening: through a window, Fiona can see an idyllic scene. A large dark-haired man and two small children (‘irish twins’, around 5-6 years old) are eating dinner at the table, a third child is sleeping peacefully in a cradle, a young and pretty red-headed woman is slicing vegetables at the stove… Pieter Bruegel, were he born, would drool and dive for his brushes. The only odd thing is that the cradle is rocking seemingly by itself.

Stultus blinks up at Fiona, saying “Um… you may want to stand outside the door for a second… out of the blast radius…” and pushes the door open, taking a step in and declaiming with an enormous smile “Hello, Elsbeth!” A moment later, he ducks just in time as an earthenware bowl (followed by an incoherent scream) whizzes inches over his head and out into the night. The dwarf straightens. “Aw, how sweet… you missed me!”

“How dare you show your face in here, you… you… ditch-dropped poxy son of a poxy whore, you slimy sneaky cack-handed natural, you bastard descendant of a lineage of snakes!” The torrent of abuse, in mixed Latin and Gaelic, comes from the woman at the stove. The man in the background is watching with amusement. The older child, a girl, says in a matter of fact voice “Mommy’s mad”.

Stultus leans his head back out the door, winking at Fiona. “Reminds you of Tranquillina, don’t she?” He returns his attention to the woman at the stove. “Elsbeth, luv, you wound me…”

“Not yet I haven’t”, retorts the woman, brandishing a cleaver, “but it’s a great idea!”

The younger boy blinks at his sister, asking “She going to set him on fire, then?” in a tone used to inquire after the weather and other things of low import.

Stultus holds up his hands. “Pax, sodalis. Fiona, may I introduce Elsbeth Vernier (nee MacNamara), maga Jerbitoni, member of the Viticulturalists. Elsbeth, may I introduce my covenant-mate, Fiona filia Marós Ex Miscellanea Kore tes Kirkes. I think you’d have a great deal to say to each other.”

“Aww, no,” mutters the girl-child. “He’s a magus. No setting magi on fire.”
“Aww, shucks!” echoes her brother.

Elsbeth heaves several deep breaths, trying to regain control of her temper, and nods to Fiona. “Sodalis.” Stultus waddles deeper into the house, greeting the man. “Hello, Benoit.”

“Hello, Stultus,” smirks Benoit. “How’s the eye?”

“Still aches in cold weather,” reports Stultus cheerfully. “I still say you cheated and snuck in a mule somehow. No one should be able to punch that hard.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:26 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

cunningrat1 wrote:
Late that night, just after sunset, the now-visible Palindromedary comes floating gently down in an orchard outside Paris, pausing next to an apple tree just long enough for Stultus to grab an apple and hand one to Fiona. He unbuckles the harness, and climbs out, stretching.

((I’m hoping that there’s a slight window in which a maga can cast a new Sun duration spell and not have the old one expire. If not…buckle your seat-belt, Stultus, it’s gonna get rocky for a minute.))

Fiona leans forward a moment before sundown. “Can I trust you not to attack me for a minute or two, Stultus?” She then recasts her La Petite Mascarade and the spell to reduce her Hermetic robes to her smaller size before performing her Parma ritual.

cunningrat1 wrote:
“Ow. My thighs may never forgive me. I’d ask how your thighs feel, but I’m not sure I want to know the answer.”

Fiona grins at the dwarf. “You know you’re welcome to examine my thighs any time.”

cunningrat1 wrote:
“How dare you show your face in here, you… you… ditch-dropped poxy son of a poxy whore, you slimy sneaky cack-handed natural, you bastard descendant of a lineage of snakes!” The torrent of abuse, in mixed Latin and Gaelic, comes from the woman at the stove. The man in the background is watching with amusement. The older child, a girl, says in a matter of fact voice “Mommy’s mad.”

Fiona looks down at Stultus, first in surprise and then, when she sees how he’s enjoying the abuse (I should remember that about him, just in case she thinks) with a grin. She then yells into the house, in Gaelic, “Hey, don’t insult snakes like that!”

cunningrat1 wrote:
Elsbeth heaves several deep breaths, trying to regain control of her temper, and nods to Fiona. “Sodalis.”

“A pleasure to meet you,” Fiona replies.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:44 pm by Jonathan.Link

Elsbeth says, “Would that you had time to chat. Mathieus and his guest are expecting you two. Leave that thing here.”. She eyes her children from the corner of her eye while pointing at the Palindromedary and asks, “I suppose that it is too much to ask if it’s kid safe.” Looking at her husband, “We will have to ward this thing or our kids will end up who knows where.”. She glares at Stultus, “Thanks for nothing, half-pint.”
Her husband responds, “Want me to punch him again?”
“No, that’ll just upset Mathieus” she looks at Fiona and Stultus,“Now run along. I’ve got kids to put to bed, chores to do, and that contraption to ward, and I’m tired. This is a working farm, you know. I’ve got no time for gossip and your particular brand of tomfoolery, Stultus, so get you and your friend gone. No offense, Fiona.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:59 pm by cunningrat1

Stultus nods, and wanders out the door, Fiona in tow… only to stick his head back in a moment later, returning Elsbeth’s bowl to her. “Wait… guest? Who’s he got staying with him, aside from the usual loadout of freeloaders?”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:08 am by Jonathan.Link

“Go!” she yells out in exasperation. Benoit starts to get up from his chair.
Fiona and Stultus make their way through the streets of Paris to Mathieus’s house. The pair draws some unwanted attention about 8 blocks from his House… Roll for initiative and state first round actions, as five toughs seem to spring forth from seemingly nowhere. The vibe around the area is decidedly unfriendly, and Fiona feels a certain dread as if something is familiar, but different. Stultus doesn’t get anything except the vibe.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:12 am by cunningrat1

(( What’s the aura, por favor? ))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:18 am by Jonathan.Link

It isn’t divine. You can probably figure out what kind it is, from that and my vague description. More than that, you need to do some spellcraft.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:46 am by cunningrat1

Jonathan.Link wrote:
It isn’t divine. You can probably figure out what kind it is, from that and my vague description. More than that, you need to do some spellcraft.

(( Oooh, it’s faerie??? Terrific! ))
(( JL, please understand, I say this with the utmost love and admiration in my heart — YOU SUCK. ))

Stultus hesitates for just a second too long. If it was just him, he could slide right on by in a dozen ways, but he can’t very well leave Fiona in the lurch, now can he?

Initiative: [1d10] = 2 +1 Qik=3.
If someone closes with him before then and takes a swing, he’ll use the “Acrobatic Dodge” Talisman effect to spring away and land beyond the toughs (Dex 1 + Athletics 6 + roll of 2=9 to ‘stick the landing’) and then taunt them, trying to get them to go after him. Power has the Fast Trigger effect, I believe that lets him do that.

Otherwise, he’s going to try and spont a Call to Slumber (ReMe 10). Re 10 + Me 12 + Sta 0 + roll of 1 then
roll of 7=36. I think he pulled this off. Penetration is 11, -1 for every 2 points of Infernal aura.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:48 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

Jonathan.Link wrote:
Fiona and Stultus make their way through the streets of Paris to Mathieus’s house. The pair draws some unwanted attention about 8 blocks from his House… Roll for initiative and state first round actions, as five toughs seem to spring forth from seemingly nowhere. The vibe around the area is decidedly unfriendly, and Fiona feels a certain dread as if something is familiar, but different. Stultus doesn’t get anything except the vibe.

((Initiative: Qui -1 + die roll of 6 = 5…and Invisible Castle is down again, boo hiss!!!))

Fiona brings her Talisman up in a defensive posture, trying her best to remember the lessons that Alexei taught her over the last year or so, and silently casts Robes of Impenetrable Linen; the only visible effect is that her robes are now snowy white. ((CT 31 – No Words + [1d10] = 8 = 29 +/- Aura Modifier, easily besting the Spell Level of 10, giving her an effective Soak of 6 (Sta 3, Spell Effect 3).))

((Also…Int roll of Int 1 + (die roll of 0, with a botch check of6, so no botch) to try to pinpoint why it feels familiar, but I suspect it feels a little like it did when she was dealing with Duncan back at Insula Canaria a few years ago.))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:15 pm by Jonathan.Link

The magi have essentially a round of free action, as the toughs close ranks around the magi. And Fiona, despite her nervousness in combat (the low roll) gets the immediate sense that it does seem like her experience with Duncan. Stultus also remembers that toughs around this area near MAthieus’s home normally give “wizards” or those that dress the part a wide berth, so this isn’t exactly right, and nor is his feeling in this particular area from the past.

“Grab the woman, kill the dwarf wizard.” The apparent leader says from behind Fiona and Stultus. ((Am I correct in understanding that Fiona is normal sized?))

The one Stultus targeted with the Call to Slumber goes to sleep. As he casts the spontaneous spell he hears whispers, harsh and evil voices urging him to do more. Fiona’s spell makes her feel constricted and restrained, not protected.

2nd round actions. Toughs will be in reach out and touch someone range this round.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:25 pm by Jonathan.Link

Crap, deleting the duplicate deleted both…but. No, Call to Slumber is a T:Ind spell.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:34 pm by cunningrat1

Jonathan.Link wrote:
Crap, deleting the duplicate deleted both…but. No, Call to Slumber is a T:Ind spell.

Yeah. You deleted the duplicate at the same time I deleted the other one, because I looked it up and realized CtS was T:Ind. The intent was to disable all of them, not just one. If you want to retroactively let me cast it with T: Group (Penetration dropping to 6 before aura modifiers), I’d appreciate it. If not, I’ll deal.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:40 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

Jonathan.Link wrote:
((Am I correct in understanding that Fiona is normal sized?))

((Yes, Fiona is in her voluptuous La Petite Mascarade form.))

Jonathan.Link wrote:
Fiona’s spell makes her feel constricted and restrained, not protected.

2nd round actions. Toughs will be in reach out and touch someone range this round.

Fiona tries to ignore the feeling, wondering in the back of her mind if she had somehow botched the spell and made her robes shrink against her body. The roughs are too close for her to cast Charge of the Angry Winds, so she decides to drop Jupiter’s Resounding Blow on top of them, using normal voice and gestures. ((CT 15 + die roll of 4 = 19 +/- Aura, vs. a Spell Level of 10.)) If possible, she will try to pivot in place enough to at least see Stultus out of the corner of her eye so she doesn’t bump into or trip over him.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:47 pm by Jonathan.Link

I was targeting the last post, which is all you could target, so if you got to it and deleted it first, it should have errored out on my deletion, or your deletion…

So, I’m parsimonious with spells being cast, especially spontaneous spells (I don’t design them, and I want a base and everything spelled out). For spontaneous spells, it’s totally legit to say, I want to cast Call to Slumber on many as I can, or otherwise have one parameter open ended, based on how well you roll. You can try it for this round, if you’d like, or you can try something else. I don’t read intent, and I don’t try and optimize your actions for the best possible result. Maybe if you were showing signs of being a new player, I’d give you some more hints… And I’m normally relaxed with retroactive continuity, but I have a tendency to stop it at aggressive negotiations. It makes combat real. And non combat magi would reasonably make mistakes in a situation where they are suddenly under attack in a place where they just aren’t expecting attack.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:00 pm by cunningrat1

Jonathan.Link wrote:
I was targeting the last post, which is all you could target, so if you got to it and deleted it first, it should have errored out on my deletion, or your deletion…

For some reason, it let me target the post before my last one for deletion, but wouldn’t let me target the last one. shrugs Who knows.

Jonathan.Link wrote:
And I’m normally relaxed with retroactive continuity, but I have a tendency to stop it at aggressive negotiations. It makes combat real. And non combat magi would reasonably make mistakes in a situation where they are suddenly under attack in a place where they just aren’t expecting attack.

Okie, that’s fine.
Stultus’ action this turn will be to move slightly away from Fiona, so as not to mess her up, and then cast “Wizard’s Sidestep”. Re 10 + Im 12 + [1d10] = 10… crap. How many botch dice, please?

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:07 pm by Jonathan.Link

Roll 10 (I’m not telling that detail) For Unseen servant, I think you have to do [1d10] repeated 10 times for the macro, because [10d10] just gives you a total. I’ll grab the first X where x=aura +1. So, you know it’s less than 10, I suppose.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:26 pm by cunningrat1

[1d10] repeated 10 times errorred out on me, doing two strings of 5 instead…
[1d10] = 2[1d10] = 6[1d10] = 9[1d10] = 7[1d10] = 5
[1d10] = 7[1d10] = 10[1d10] = 6[1d10] = 2[1d10] = 5
Please remember -1 Botch die for Gold cord score, +1 for Weird Magic.

Assuming he didn’t botch, the spell goes off.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:39 pm by Jonathan.Link

Yeah, no botch, so the spell goes off. The tough nearest Stultus has to reassess his target, suddenly, and ends up spinning his wheels.

One tough, one is temporarily incapacitated by the Jupiter’s Resounding Blow, attempts to grapple Fiona, so I need a brawl roll to dodge the incoming grapple attempts.

And Round three. The Leader cries out, “You lazy bums are worthless.” and runs off. The leader was not included in the total of toughs attacking.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:13 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

One trying to grapple Fiona? Okay, she’s going to try to dodge and cast Preternatural Growth and Shrinking on him (using the talisman to extend her Touch range), reducing his size by 2.

Dodge roll, is Dex 0 + Brawl 0 + die roll of 4 = 4. Boy, I hope he botches.

Concentration check to try to get spell off: Int 1 + Concentration 3 + die roll of 2 = 6, and the Ease Factor for dodging is 12. Or is that to continue concentration on a spell and not to cast it?

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:32 pm by Jonathan.Link

Fiona is grappled during round 2, after her spell goes off ((Jupiter’s Resounding Blow)).

So, how hard is it to activate a device to deliver an effect. It’s a good question to ask, I’m willing to go with reducing the EF by 6, which would mean it’s successful. But, I need to know, what the penetration is on the effect. I don’t see her Talisman on her character sheet.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:43 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

((It’s the first item under Equipment. I haven’t advanced her past Summer of 1228 yet, but the Preternatural Growth and Shrinking isn’t a Talisman effect, it’s a Touch range spell that Fiona knows, but Talismans can be used as an extension of yourself when casting Touch spells, I think.))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:49 pm by Jonathan.Link

Oh, I misunderstood, then Fiona can’t cast a spell while grappled (EF of 12 necessary) I was thinking it was a talisman effect that would be easier to activate. Fiona can attempt to counter and break free from the grapple.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:03 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

Since her CT with Preternatural Growth and Shrinking is +51, with a Spell Level of 15, even with a -15 for No Words and No Gestures, that still gives her a +36 CT, which is 21 better than the Spell Level. Can she simply cast the spell on the guy that’s grappling her if she doesn’t try to break free?

If so, her CT is 51 – No Words 10 – No Gestures 5 + die roll of 0 = 36. Crap. Well, let’s roll a buttload of botch dice, then. 1, 6, 8, 1, 2, 5, 9, 0, 7, and 4.
Assuming she doesn’t botch, I think the spell would be able to go off, right?

If the above is not an option, she’d be using the Grapple rules, right? So she needs to make a Brawl check and hopefully overcome his Attack Advantage? Worth a shot.

Dex 0 + Brawl 0 + die roll of 7 = 7.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:11 pm by Jonathan.Link

No, the concentration roll to get the spell off wasn’t high enough. Fiona doesn’t have the presence of mind to cast a spell this round, unless I’m missing something.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:17 pm by cunningrat1

“Oh no you don’t.”

Stultus’ action in Round 3 is to cast “Wizard’s Leap” (CT +21, [1d10] = 2: spell cast although I might lose a fatigue level) and teleport just in front of the leader, dropping on all fours in the leader’s path so as to send him flying in the best tradition of slapstick theatre. Hopefully into a wall or something: he does not want the guy getting away.

Finesse roll to land exactly how and where he wants to: Int +3, Finesse +4, [1d10] = 1 then [1d10] = 4=15.

He’s not doing it out of bloodlust or combat spirit. He’d be happy to let the guy get away, except for one thing. The man knew Stultus was a wizard. He was warned Stultus and Fiona would be coming, and Stultus very much wants to know how and why and who.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:20 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

Jonathan.Link wrote:
No, the concentration roll to get the spell off wasn’t high enough. Fiona doesn’t have the presence of mind to cast a spell this round, unless I’m missing something.

Okay, just the brawl check, then, and try the spell again next turn, I guess.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:38 pm by Jonathan.Link

Stultus sticks the landing, and knocks the leader into a door, whereupon he lets out a loud grunt. Meanwhile, Fiona struggles to get free, but her opponent grips her harder, the one deafened by the Jupiter’s Resounding Blow can’t hear his confederate telling him to help tie Fiona up.

The leader pulls his knife and the his it makes coming out of the scabbard sounds more like the hiss of a snake than of steel on steel, in impeccable Church Latin, “Your out of your depth, wizard. We were thinking the woman was someone else, and not that you were a witch and a wizard.” There is something about him that seems dangerous like a cornered animal. And you can feel his blade through your Parma, and you get the sense it would feast on your soul with the tiniest of nicks.
Round 4 actions.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:52 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

Okay. It’s crunch time. Round 4 she’s going to make her Concentration roll to get off her Preternatural Growth and Shrinking on the guy holding her. Int 1 + Concentration 3 + die roll of 6 = 10. Since she’s not struggling or dodging or anything, is she still at Average (EF 9, eg Jostled) or is it still Hard (EF 12, eg Dodging)? If the latter, she’s going to use a Confidence Point to get the spell off.

No words, no gestures, for a total penalty of -15. CT 51 – 15 + die roll of 9 = 45, vs a Spell Level of 15. Penetration (if it matters) is 30 + Penetration (Transformation) 4 = 34.

Hopefully, since he’s now at size -2, or roughly half the size he was before, but his clothes and armour aren’t, that should (1) confuse the living daylights out of him and (2) entangle him in his clothes, and (3) get him to release her before she gets sliced.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:03 am by cunningrat1

Jonathan.Link wrote:
Stultus sticks the landing, and knocks the leader into a door, whereupon he lets out a loud grunt. Meanwhile, Fiona struggles to get free, but her opponent grips her harder, the one deafened by the Jupiter’s Resounding Blow can’t hear his confederate telling him to help tie Fiona up.

The leader pulls his knife and the his it makes coming out of the scabbard sounds more like the hiss of a snake than of steel on steel, in impeccable Church Latin, “Your out of your depth, wizard. We were thinking the woman was someone else, and not that you were a witch and a wizard.” There is something about him that seems dangerous like a cornered animal. And you can feel his blade through your Parma, and you get the sense it would feast on your soul with the tiniest of nicks.
Round 4 actions.

Stultus stares right at the man as he casts “Trust of Childlike Faith”. CT +21, roll of 6=27. Penetration 21 before Aura adjustment.
“You idiot!” he hisses. “Stop this at once, we’re on your side! There’s been a breach in the chain — you’ve been betrayed, and myself along with you!”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:52 pm by Jonathan.Link

Stultus is unable to make eye contact with the man. ((You can pick another action))

Fiona gets her spell off, and shrinks the man. He still has a grip, but it could be easier to break free next round. The other guy, still struck deaf is figuring out what his partner wants, and digs the rope out of the bag.

Round 5 actions (and Stultus’s alternative action for round 4).

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:43 pm by cunningrat1

Alternate action for round 4, a.k.a. “F*** it, I am tired of this”:

Rego Mentem spontaneous spell: as Call to Slumber, except with T: Group. Desired spell level is 15.

Rego 10, Mentem 12, Sta 0. Booming voice (1), Wild gesticulations (1), spending 2 Confidence points (+6), roll of [1d10] = 1 then [1d10] = 1 then [1d10] = 10…. that’s a total of 70, /2 is 35…. penetration is 23 before Aura modifiers.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:57 pm by Jonathan.Link

The leader falls to sleep, but the knife false from his hand, stabbing through his boot and into the foot. It awakens him, causing him to screen in agony, a scream unlike Stultus has ever heard, “No! Not me!” His form withers before Stultus’s eyes. The men around Fiona flee. The knife disappears into the shadows.
The men can be chased…

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:20 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

Fiona takes a look at Stultus to make sure he’s okay, then after the fleeing men. Are they such that she can take them down with a Charge of the Angry Winds? (Basically, she’s taking a quick look. If so, she will cast it. If not, she will run them down and hope she doesn’t give herself a black eye.)

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:26 pm by Jonathan.Link

They ducked around a corner almost as soon as they took off. Nothing’s stopping Fiona from looking down the street/alley. She could cast the spell and try and knock them down. It might knock down others, too.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:23 pm by cunningrat1

Stultus stomps after Fiona, staggering a bit. “Come… on. Let’s get out of here, before we attract fifteen kinds of wrong attention. Let them go. Those momzers don’t know anything.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:22 am by Jonathan.Link

Stultus and Fiona make their way to Mathieus’s house, and knock on the door. "Ahh, master Sultus, Mallory, Mathieus’s steward says with an amused chuckle, “your arrival was expected. Mathieus and some others are in the parlour enjoying brandy and conversation. However, his guests are not magi, and he requests that you and your guest be shown to quarters and he will entertain you in the morning.” Stultus immediately recognizes this for what it is, that sometimes, Mathieus hosts parties for his cover as a nobleman in exile, and he carefully limits guests to only the Gently Gifted.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:42 am by cunningrat1

Stultus nods, frowning slightly. “Of course, Mallory. We would not wish to intrude. By the way… who is the other magus who is currently a guest under Mathieus’ roof?”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:52 am by Jonathan.Link

Mallory smiles, “Ahh, his guest is not a maga, he dotes on her like a daughter, though. She seems to know a fair bit about Hermetic society.” Stultus knows that Mallory’s duties generally preclude him from being involved in or knowledgeable of Hermetic society, as mostly he serves as Mathieus link to the nobility, which, in addition to seeing to the overall function of the house, keeps him rather busy. “Is this, I presume, the maga Fiona who Mathieus indicated would want to know about his guest?” he says indicating Fiona in her disguised form. “She’s shorter than I was told.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:06 pm by cunningrat1

“This is, indeed, the maga Fiona. Fiona, please meet Mallory, Mathieus’ steward.” Stultus seems singularly distracted: the attack a few minutes ago makes less and less sense the more he thinks about it, and he’s frantically trying to figure out what he’s missing.

(( Also, I assume he said Hermetic and not Heretic? ))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:19 pm by Jonathan.Link

“Pleased to meet you, maga Fiona.” He says it cheerfully, and it is almost imperceptible that it appears forced (need a folk ken check of 12+, no subtraction for the Gift on this one) to be noticed. Mallory notices Stultus’s distraction as he ushers them inside, and down the stairs to their quarters in the basement. “My lord magus, you appear to be discommoded, and not your typical self. Did Benoit come at you again?” He shows the two to their rooms, well appointed, and with subtle markers of Hermetic symbols that indicates these quarters are generally only given to Magi. “i will remind master Stultus, and explain to maga Fiona that the floor below is the sanctum of Mathieus. And it is his hope that you find your stay here comfortable. Should you need to work magic, you will find the lacuna located here in the basement to be much more amenable to that end, I am told that it neither enhances or diminishes your magical capability. I will send someone along presently to see to food and any other needs you might have.” Looking at Stultus with a serious and slightly exasperated expression, “After our last experience with you, the chamber pots in these rooms are now self cleaning.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:48 pm by cunningrat1

Jonathan.Link wrote:
“Pleased to meet you, maga Fiona.” He says it cheerfully, and it is almost imperceptible that it appears forced (need a folk ken check of 12+, no subtraction for the Gift on this one) to be noticed. Mallory notices Stultus’s distraction as he ushers them inside, and down the stairs to their quarters in the basement. “My lord magus, you appear to be discommoded, and not your typical self. Did Benoit come at you again?”

((Per 1 + Folk Ken 4 + roll of 7 = 12))

Stultus sees Fiona to her room, and beards Mallory outside. “I’m distracted,” he explains, “because of something untoward and severely disturbing that happened to us on the way here. What’s got you upset?” As Mallory opens his mouth to pretend to a stiff upper lip and claim nothing’s wrong, Stultus quirks his head to one side. “C’mon, Mallory. It’s me. You know me. The unfortunate matter of the chamber pots aside, I thought we had a pretty decent working relationship, no?”

(( Mallory would definitely know that Stultus pays much more attention to mundanes than most magi do, and can generally be trusted with a confidence. ))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:57 pm by Jonathan.Link

((Mallory is very good at hiding his reaction to the Gift, is all I was getting at. Stultus noticed Mallory working at it.))

“I’m not terribly upset about anything. Perhaps you have just picked up on my reaction to most magi?” Mallory takes a deep breath, “But there has been a series of murders, of late. Men of low station, thugs and ruffians, in pairs, and left in what appears to be, well, compromising positions. None of them are familiar to us, either. They seem to have run off.” He further muses, “And simultaneously the streets feel safer and more dangerous. We’ve suggested people don’t visit after dark, or are well escorted. This isn’t exactly the best part of the city, anyway, so it’s not hard for some of Mathieus’s guests to accept the need.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:08 pm by cunningrat1

Jonathan.Link wrote:
“But there has been a series of murders, of late. Men of low station, thugs and ruffians, in pairs, and left in what appears to be, well, compromising positions. None of them are familiar to us, either. They seem to have run off.” He further muses, “And simultaneously the streets feel safer and more dangerous. We’ve suggested people don’t visit after dark, or are well escorted. This isn’t exactly the best part of the city, anyway, so it’s not hard for some of Mathieus’s guests to accept the need.”

Stultus nods quietly. “Decadence, immorality, chaos,” he mutters thoughtfully, “and it is the job of all God-fearing men to clean up the streets, by any means necessary. That fits. Or might fit, anyway — I thought that fellow spoke awfully good Church Latin…” He glances up at Mallory. “Let me guess — knife wounds? And when did this start?”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:12 pm by Jonathan.Link

“What? On the dead men? No. No apparent signs of death. Well except they seemed to have or maintain an erection after they passed. And all appeared to be in the throws of either agony, or passion. It’s difficult to tell which is which, you know?”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:22 pm by cunningrat1

Jonathan.Link wrote:
“And all appeared to be in the throes of either agony, or passion. It’s difficult to tell which is which, you know?”

Stultus snorts. “True enough. Difficult to tell which is which when one is alive, sometimes, much less dead. All right. I’ll follow up with Mathieus in the morning. Thank you, Mallory. It is a pleasure to see you again.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:08 pm by Jonathan.Link

“Good evening, sir magus.” And he walks off.

The next morning, well after sunrise, there is a gentle knock on the door and Mallory can be heard outside, “Mathieus invites you and Fiona down to break your fast. He suggests that Fiona come down as herself.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:26 pm by cunningrat1

(( Giving Peregrine a chance to get a word in edgewise here. ))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:28 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

Jonathan.Link wrote:
“Pleased to meet you, maga Fiona.” He says it cheerfully, and it is almost imperceptible that it appears forced (need a folk ken check of 12+, no subtraction for the Gift on this one) to be noticed.

“As am I,” Fiona says as she curtsies politely. “This is but a fraction of my normal size, in most regards. I felt that it would serve us better if there weren’t a Giant roaming the streets of Paris.” ((Folk Ken is Per 0 + Folk Ken 1 + (die roll of 0, but not a botch) 0 = 1.))

Jonathan.Link wrote:
Mallory notices Stultus’s distraction as he ushers them inside, and down the stairs to their quarters in the basement. He shows the two to their rooms, well appointed, and with subtle markers of Hermetic symbols that indicates these quarters are generally only given to Magi. “i will remind master Stultus, and explain to maga Fiona that the floor below is the sanctum of Mathieus. And it is his hope that you find your stay here comfortable. Should you need to work magic, you will find the lacuna located here in the basement to be much more amenable to that end, I am told that it neither enhances or diminishes your magical capability. I will send someone along presently to see to food and any other needs you might have.”

Fiona thanks Mallory and settles herself into her room, spending a good bit of time checking it out. After a little while, she finds an open space and touches the floor with her talisman to create a stationary illusion of sight and touch of a man (who may be recognizably intended to be Valerian), about as much smaller than she as he would be compared to her normal size.* She then spends a good while practicing some of the basic moves with her talisman that Alexei has shown her over the past year and a half**.

Jonathan.Link wrote:
The next morning, well after sunrise, there is a gentle knock on the door and Mallory can be heard outside, “Mathieus invites you and Fiona down to break your fast. He suggests that Fiona come down as herself.”

Fiona does come down, in her Hermetic robes and in her normal form.

  • ((CrIm, base 2, R: Touch +1, D: Sun +2, T: Individual, for a Spell Level of 5. Her CT is Sta 3 + Cr 6 + Im 5 + die roll of 7 = 21, halved is 11. Her Finesse Roll is Int 1 + Finesse 3 + (die roll of 1), followed by a die roll of 2, for a 4) = 8.
  • ((This wouldn’t be her first choice of ways to pass the time involving a staff, but it’ll do.))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:57 pm by cunningrat1

Stultus waddles into the room behind Fiona. “Hello, Mathieus.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:36 pm by Jonathan.Link

Stultus, Fiona. Please accept my apologies for not greeting you last night. I was entertaining the Count of Montmarte last night. He and his retinue stayed quite late." He stands while speaking and moves to Fiona, taking her hand in his and kissing it. I’m afraid you’ll have to wait a bit longer for your surprise. She was up entertaining later than I would have thought.
Turning to Stultus, "So, you’re entering the pit of vipers that is Confluensis.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:22 am by cunningrat1

Jonathan.Link wrote:
Turning to Stultus, "So, you’re entering the pit of vipers that is Confluensis.

Stultus drops into a chair. “Yes — and Paris is proving to be a perfect training ground. You’ve got a problem, Mathieus.”

He gestures with one hand. “Five blocks up, three over — you know where the Rue des Forgerons makes a dogleg? We were ambushed there last night as we were on our way to you. It’s an Infernal lacuna, or I’ll eat my hat, bells and all.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:06 am by Jonathan.Link

“Yes, and I am partly responsible for it.” He looks displeased. “I’m sure Mallory has told you of the murders. The positioning of the bodies. I believe it might be my house guest. In fact, I’m nearly certain of it. She has so much rage within her, rage that I have not been able to help heal. I’ve even had to take the additional step of having my house warded against demons. You see, she lost her husband a few years ago, and she’s never been the same since.” He says the last while looking at Fiona.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:09 am by cunningrat1

Stultus quirks his head curiously to one side, looking between Fiona and Mathieus. He’s picked up on the undercurrent, but has no idea what it’s all about…
((EDIT….))
… and a moment later, the penny drops, and the rage the killer feels about homosexuality cinches it. “Allips.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:08 pm by Jonathan.Link

“Yes. I have been unable to stop her, for any number of reasons. She is, all I have left of any kind of family, he says without any idea that he has a grandson of sorts. “And I find myself unable to do anything about her activities. I expect there will be two more bodies discovered tonight. And while I have no love for the street thugs, the damage she is doing to herself, her soul, is heart wrenching to me.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:15 pm by cunningrat1

Jonathan.Link wrote:
“And while I have no love for the street thugs, the damage she is doing to herself, her soul, is heart wrenching to me.”

Stultus sighs. “I hate to be the bearer of bad news, Mathieus, but it’s far worse than you think. It’s quite possible that she is actively dealing with the Infernal. The leader of the men who accosted us last night had some sort of infernally invested device. A knife.” The dwarf shudders. “I could feel the thing through my Parma, Mathieus. It was that strong. It rattled me so badly that when he dropped it I didn’t even attempt to deal with it in any way. I’m still kicking myself about that…”

He rubs at his forehead. “You told Allips I was coming, I assume. Did you tell her Fiona would be accompanying me?”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:24 pm by Jonathan.Link

“I didn’t tell her about you. Does she know you? I told her Fiona and a friend were coming.” Mathieus looks concerned “Unless she were possessed by a very powerful agent of the infernal, I don’t think she’d be able to come into the House. She is still grieving, but in a very bad way. The ward against demons is sixth magnitude, and fully invested1. She doesn’t spend a lot of time out of the House. And while I don’t have any knowledge of infernal rites, I don’t think she is out of the House long enough to consort with infernal agents. I could be wrong, but I believe that what she is doing is indirectly causing this infernal aura to occur, and something else is growing in power. Of course, I might be blinded by my love for her.” Mathieus seems near tears.

invested means it has enough penetration. I forgot to add this detail. I just didn’t like saying penetration in this context, so I came up with this new term…

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:38 pm by cunningrat1

Stultus shakes his head. “Then the attack on us is only tangentially related. Crap. Double crap. I’m sorry, Mathieus. I jumped to an unwarranted conclusion.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:10 pm by Jonathan.Link

“What do you mean?”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:21 pm by cunningrat1

“The leader of the people who accosted us was specifically after us. After me. His exact words were ‘grab the girl, kill the dwarf wizard’. He knew I was a wizard, but didn’t know Fiona was. How? I have the Gentle Gift, she does not. I didn’t have any active spells, she did. So any ability they may have possessed to reveal someone as a wizard would have revealed her as well as me. Only possible conclusion is that they were told I was coming, but weren’t told she was. I’ve been wracking my brain to figure out who was behind it… and Allips looked for a moment like she might fit the bill, but that’s not the case.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:31 pm by Jonathan.Link

((Bit of clarification, since it wasn’t obvious. The instructions to grab Fiona were after Stultus spoke Latin and wiggled his fingers at one of the thugs making him go to sleep.))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:48 pm by cunningrat1

Jonathan.Link wrote:
((Bit of clarification, since it wasn’t obvious. The instructions to grab Fiona were after Stultus spoke Latin and wiggled his fingers at one of the thugs making him go to sleep.))

(( facepalm ))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:07 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

Jonathan.Link wrote:
“Yes, and I am partly responsible for it.” He looks displeased. “I’m sure Mallory has told you of the murders. The positioning of the bodies. I believe it might be my house guest. In fact, I’m nearly certain of it. She has so much rage within her, rage that I have not been able to help heal. I’ve even had to take the additional step of having my house warded against demons. You see, she lost her husband a few years ago, and she’s never been the same since.” He says the last while looking at Fiona.

Fiona gets a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach as she fears that she knows who he’s talking about.

“No,” she says, shaking her head in disbelief.

The conversation between Stultus and Matthieus fades into the background, as she tries to digest the accusation that woman that, in a way, she loves could have murdered people, or that she is involved in diabolism or may even be possessed.
Jonathan.Link wrote:
“She is, all I have left of any kind of family”
Jonathan.Link wrote:
“Of course, I might be blinded by my love for her.” Mathieus seems near tears.

These phrases work their way through the fog that momentarily shrouded Fiona’s mind and she looks at Matthieus with surprise.

“Tell me what happened, and what makes you think she had anything to do with it,” she says, a little more bluntly than she would normally.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:25 pm by Jonathan.Link

“Not much to tell, soon after she arrived, thugs, not my thugs, to be sure, started disappearing and found as I’d described. She was also late at night on those same nights. And my agents indicate that they’ve seen a woman hanging around the thugs shortly before they’ve disappeared. And Anacrôn has gone to ground.” Fiona might know who that is with an OoH roll of 12+, Stultus gets a pass on it, because of his back story.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:35 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

Fiona (who was in her room when Mathieus was describing the goings-on to Stultus) looks back and forth between them. “Thugs? What about them? And who’s Anacrôn”

((Int 1 + Order of Hermes Lore 2 + die roll of 4 = 7.))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:43 am by Jonathan.Link

As to the thugs, I’m not sure what you’re asking. Some are mine, some are not. Mine will not target my guests. They keep their eye on my House, or even through channels ask me directly. The thugs who operate more independently haven’t usually become a problem, but since these murders they’ve strangely become bolder. Anacrôn is a magus of your House who has organized all of the ragamuffins into an army of sorts. He lives on the streets. He’s not a member of Eboris, and is considered an eremite."

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:12 am by Peregrine_Bjornaer

“What murders?” Fiona looks back and forth between Stultus and Mathieus, feeling like there’s a lot of information that she’s missing out on.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:31 am by Jonathan.Link

cunningrat1 wrote:
Stultus waddles into the room behind Fiona. “Hello, Mathieus.”

I’d rather play it that Fiona has heard everything played out and just sat quiet in stunned disbelief. Otherwise, He will repeat it as he told to Stultus.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:51 am by cunningrat1

Jonathan.Link wrote:
cunningrat1 wrote:
Stultus waddles into the room behind Fiona. “Hello, Mathieus.”

I’d rather play it that Fiona has heard everything played out and just sat quiet in stunned disbelief. Otherwise, He will repeat it as he told to Stultus.

(( It was Mallory who said it to Stultus, not Mathieus, but we can say that Stultus repeated it all. ))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:55 am by Peregrine_Bjornaer

((Okay, re-reading the posts from Thursday, I see where the confusion came from. I had assumed that Stultus saw Fiona to her room, and then bearded Mallory outside…after Fiona was settled into her room, with the door closed and working on her stuff. If I had realized, as everyone else seems to have thought, that the conversation happened while Fiona was still outside, she probably would have participated in the conversation. Be that as it may, between Stultus and Mathieus, they get her pretty much up to speed on the murders, men in pairs found dead in compromising positions in the throes of passion or pain (can’t quite tell which) with erections, and no apparent cause of death, and that Mathieus for some reason thinks Alips is behind it.))

Fiona continues to shake her head in disbelief. “No. Not Alips. She wouldn’t…I know she was angry when Praxiteles died, but that was anger at Valerian. She wouldn’t…no.”

She swallows. “Do you mind if I go talk to her?”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:06 pm by Jonathan.Link

“You may, but more than anything, I wish for you to take her with you.” Mathieus continues, “If she isn’t involved these killings will continue, and I might be able to act with a freer hand. If she is the one, then they will stop, and she will be in an area with perhaps fewer temptations, or people more capable of acting against her.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:44 pm by cunningrat1

Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:
“No. Not Alips. She wouldn’t…I know she was angry when Praxiteles died, but that was anger at Valerian. She wouldn’t…no.”

“You’d be surprised what love and grief can make people do,” murmurs Stultus. “Especially if she never came to terms with her husband’s desire for other men.”

Jonathan.Link wrote:
“You may, but more than anything, I wish for you to take her with you.” Mathieus continues, “If she isn’t involved these killings will continue, and I might be able to act with a freer hand. If she is the one, then they will stop, and she will be in an area with perhaps fewer temptations, or people more capable of acting against her.”

Stultus winces. “Well, we cannot take her with us to Confluensis. After this is done, taking her to Mons Electi…” He frowns. “I’m not saying no, Mathieus. Mons Electi may be a good place for her — a strong Aegis, and a lot of magi to watch over her and help her. But I can’t say ‘yes, of course’ either — not right off the bat, and not acting for my entire covenant. I need to think about it for a little while, since it doesn’t involve just me. Can we give you our answer once we get back from Confluensis?”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:53 pm by Jonathan.Link

“I don’t believe she had an issue with Praxiteles sexuality. They both loved people of both sexes. I probably had a bigger problem with it than she did. How long do you expect to be at Confluensis? And with Fiona there, she might be capable of distracting Alips.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:59 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

Jonathan.Link wrote:
“I don’t believe she had an issue with Praxiteles sexuality. They both loved people of both sexes. I probably had a bigger problem with it than she did. How long do you expect to be at Confluensis? And with Fiona there, she might be capable of distracting Alips.”

Fiona smiles a dreamy smile at that.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:02 pm by cunningrat1

Jonathan.Link wrote:
“I don’t believe she had an issue with Praxiteles sexuality. They both loved people of both sexes. I probably had a bigger problem with it than she did. How long do you expect to be at Confluensis? And with Fiona there, she might be capable of distracting Alips.”

Stultus shrugs. “Your guess is as good as mine. I’m not certain the logistics would work: I didn’t design the Palindromedary to carry three riders. But I’m small and so are Fiona and Allips both: it might work. That still leaves the issue of taking her to Mons Electi afterwards, which…” He brightens momentarily. “… Which we might be able to get you an answer on rather sooner than I thought. Bide a moment, please. Talk amongst yourselves.”

He leans back in his chair and half-closes his eyes.
(( OOC: Korvin’s not available. Fiona’s here with me. Roberto is, however, probably in residence, yes? ))

======================

Back at Mons Electi, an ape clambers through the open window in Roberto’s chambers, perching on the windowsill. “Knock knock”, it says, looking vaguely disgruntled.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:07 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

“I can talk to her, see if she would be willing to come to Mons Electi for a time. She was unwilling to relocate last time I broached the subject, after Praxiteles’s death, but that might have been bad timing. I will see if I can talk her into at least coming for a visit.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:51 pm by Marko Markoko

cunningrat1 wrote:
Roberto is, however, probably in residence, yes? ))

======================

Back at Mons Electi, an ape clambers through the open window in Roberto’s chambers, perching on the windowsill. “Knock knock”, it says, looking vaguely disgruntled.

Roberto’s living quarters are in his sanctum, so he…
Nevermind
You have five seconds to explain why I should not just incinerate you…

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:05 pm by cunningrat1

Marko Markoko wrote:
Roberto’s living quarters are in his sanctum, so he…
Nevermind
You have five seconds to explain why I should not just incinerate you…

“I have a message from El Payaso. I don’t want to be here any more than you want me here — I was just setting down for a nap, but noooo.” Rahere’s voice changes, becoming a perfect replica of Stultus’ voice, intonations and all. “I need to talk to Roberto, Rahere. Go hunt him down, Rahere. Right now, Rahere.” The ape pouts, muttering an obscene little imprecation or two in Arabic, addressed at his absent master.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:09 pm by Jonathan.Link

“One of the reasons I want you to take her to Confluensis is because of Augustina. She, is already a renowned demon hunter. She has skills to deal with a powerful demon, if one should have taken possession of Alips.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:31 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

Jonathan.Link wrote:
“One of the reasons I want you to take her to Confluensis is because of Augustina. She, is already a renowned demon hunter. She has skills to deal with a powerful demon, if one should have taken possession of Alips.”

“Hmmm… Fiona looks down at Stultus thoughtfully. “If she and I were both closer to your size, would be both fit in the one seat?”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:04 am by Marko Markoko

cunningrat1 wrote:
Marko Markoko wrote:
Roberto’s living quarters are in his sanctum, so he…
Nevermind
You have five seconds to explain why I should not just incinerate you…

“I have a message from El Payaso. I don’t want to be here any more than you want me here — I was just setting down for a nap, but noooo.” Rahere’s voice changes, becoming a perfect replica of Stultus’ voice, intonations and all. “I need to talk to Roberto, Rahere. Go hunt him down, Rahere. Right now, Rahere.” The ape pouts, muttering an obscene little imprecation or two in Arabic, addressed at his absent master.

I do not think you understand…
And then el gato Don Diaz jumps on his back, hissing and spitting.
Aye carumba. See, climbing in my windo was a stupid idea. Now, give me the message without embellishment or elaboraton.
Cidito! Let him go. Payaso sent him.

And why did Stultus send an ape? Dis I miss something important? Is it a grape ape? Or green? How small or large? Or is it a monkey?

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:14 am by Jonathan.Link

((Stultus is in Paris, he sent his familiar to talk.))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:42 am by Marko Markoko

Oh! Okay. I did not realize Sultus had a familiar. Roberto would have probably been far less confrontational, though his cat would probably acted the same. But if it wasn’t for the ooc knowledge that Stultus sent the creature, I probably would have blasted it out of reflex.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:50 am by cunningrat1

(( Rahere is a ‘barbary ape’ — one of those Gibraltar monkeys.))

“El Payaso says that we have a request from Archmagus Mathieus of Jerbiton to provide shelter to Allips, wife of Praxiteles of Jerbiton, the man who was slain by Valerian at the Tribunal. He further says that there is some evidence that Allips has been dealing with the Infernal. Mathieus feels that at Mons Electi, we can both guard her from temptation and help save her soul. Stultus agrees, but wishes to ask you, the Imperator, how you feel about the matter.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:16 am by Jonathan.Link

Marko Markoko wrote:
Oh! Okay. I did not realize Sultus had a familiar. Roberto would have probably been far less confrontational, though his cat would probably acted the same. But if it wasn’t for the ooc knowledge that Stultus sent the creature, I probably would have blasted it out of reflex.

((Well, I think it’s reasonable that Roberto have the knowledge of who Stultus’s familiar is, and indeed most of his coterie would know, too. It’s the problem of not tracking all the threads, which I don’t expect every player to do, anyway. If you’re wondering why something is happening or need more info before acting, feel free to ask, but I would resist the impulse, to respond too aggressively when another player initiates something with Roberto. Unless, of course, that player is acting as an SG for a story, but so far no one has been brave enough to do that. ))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:56 am by Marko Markoko

OOC: knowing that another player was involved is why the monkey got a 5 second wrning before blasting him

Arch Magus Mathieus of Jerbiton, a prestegious elder. If he reccomends it, I shall be glad to recieve her and keep a close watch on her.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:38 am by cunningrat1

Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:
“Hmmm… Fiona looks down at Stultus thoughtfully. “If she and I were both closer to your size, would be both fit in the one seat?”

Stultus re-opens his eyes. “Mathieus, there’ll be no issue with Allips staying at Mons Electi should she so choose. Fiona…” He considers. “Yeah, that would work. No stirrups for one of the riders, but it’s no different than riding pillion after that, and the harness should fit around both of you.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:41 am by Jonathan.Link

“But you’ll take her to Confluensis, first? To have Augustina take a look at her? If it’s any consideration, she does owe me a favor…”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:50 am by cunningrat1

Jonathan.Link wrote:
“But you’ll take her to Confluensis, first? To have Augustina take a look at her? If it’s any consideration, she does owe me a favor…”

Stultus looks wry. “Yes, we will. Assuming, of course, she agrees. As far as Augustina goes, is there anyone who doesn’t owe you a favor?”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:31 am by Peregrine_Bjornaer

cunningrat1 wrote:
Stultus re-opens his eyes. “Mathieus, there’ll be no issue with Allips staying at Mons Electi should she so choose. Fiona…” He considers. “Yeah, that would work. No stirrups for one of the riders, but it’s no different than riding pillion after that, and the harness should fit around both of you.”

Fiona smiles. “We’ll just have to be sure we have a good, tight grip on one another, then, won’t we?”
cunningrat1 wrote:
Stultus looks wry. “Yes, we will. Assuming, of course, she agrees. As far as Augustina goes, is there anyone who doesn’t owe you a favor?”

Fiona gives Mathieus an appraising look, the smile still gracing her face. “So, it seems we find ourselves in a fortunate position with the Archmagus, then.”

She looks toward the door. “If there’s any chance she may be up, I would like to speak with her, please.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:41 am by Jonathan.Link

cunningrat1 wrote:
Stultus looks wry. “Yes, we will. Assuming, of course, she agrees. As far as Augustina goes, is there anyone who doesn’t owe you a favor?”

“It seems as if there are fewer and fewer every year.”

Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:
Fiona gives Mathieus an appraising look, the smile still gracing her face. “So, it seems we find ourselves in a fortunate position with the Archmagus, then.”

“Certainly, but my benefices only go so far. Eboris is, by and large, neutral territory. The Magi of the Tribunal leave us in peace because we are self-sufficient and serve a useful purpose.”
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:
She looks toward the door. “If there’s any chance she may be up, I would like to speak with her, please.”

“She may be up. I would keep some of what has been discussed to yourself.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:37 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

Jonathan.Link wrote:
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:
She looks toward the door. “If there’s any chance she may be up, I would like to speak with her, please.”

“She may be up. I would keep some of what has been discussed to yourself.”

“Of course,” Fiona says, and looks at Stultus with an amused smile.

She then makes her way up the stairs slowly and a little nervously, working out how to approach the situation and wondering what she’ll see when she finds Alips. She raises her hand to knock on the door, but pauses. If I were a religious woman, she thinks, this would be the time for prayer. She then knocks gently on the door.

“Alips? Are you up?” Her voice is surprisingly soft.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:58 pm by Jonathan.Link

“Fiona, is that you?” a groggy voice comes from behind the door. Some sounds of feet shuffling are heard before the door opens. “How? When? Why are you here?” She looks slightly guilty and bites her bottom lip.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:19 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

“Yes, it’s me. I just got in last night, on my way to Confluensis. I didn’t find out you were here until this morning, or I would have come sooner. I hope I’m not bothering you. May I come in?” Seeing Alips again brings a smile to Fiona’s face, and she can’t help but think how beautiful she is, or ignore how tingly she makes her feel.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:41 pm by Jonathan.Link

Alips demurs. “Let me freshen up a bit, and go through my morning ritual, and I’ll be down in a moment, Fiona.” Fiona can see she looks rather tired, as if she hasn’t slept well or for very long.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:52 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

Jonathan.Link wrote:
Alips demurs. “Let me freshen up a bit, and go through my morning ritual, and I’ll be down in a moment, Fiona.” Fiona can see she looks rather tired, as if she hasn’t slept well or for very long.

“Of course. I’ll wait here for you,” Fiona says, and stands in the hallway. After the door closes, Fiona frowns thoughtfully, a little bothered by the phrase “morning ritual.” She thinks back, trying to remember if she had a morning ritual when she was at Mons Electi. ((Int 1 + die roll of 6 = 7))

She also feels concern about how Alips looks, and how tired she seems, and for the first time feels a niggling doubt about whether she was right in protesting Alips’s innocence…at least with regards to the demons.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:35 pm by Jonathan.Link

Fiona doesn’t recall anything from the last time she was with Alips in the morning. Fiona can hear Alips humming to herself, and the sound of water being sloshed. About 10 minutes later Alips comes out looking a little bit better, at least refreshed. She and Fiona head down stairs where she goes up to Mathieus and kisses him on the cheek. “Thank you for surprising me with Fiona, Mathieus.” She says it and sounds depressed, not as happy as Fiona would expect. “Who is our, I mean your, other guest?”
“Alips, allow me to introduce a giant among magi. Stultus of House Tytalus.” he says with some mirth. "Stultus, this is, he pauses looking for the correct word, “my daughter, after a fashion.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:39 pm by cunningrat1

Jonathan.Link wrote:
“She may be up. I would keep some of what has been discussed to yourself.”

Stultus watches Fiona’s back as it disappears behind the door. (Okay, perhaps he was watching someplace a bit lower than her back, but if so, he’s the only one who knows about it.)

“Mathieus…” He turns his attention back to the Jerbiton. “While she’s talking to Allips, I’ve had an idea I wanted to run past you. This is a long-term plan, for perhaps a year or so from now.” The Tytalus leans back in his chair, stroking his chin thoughtfully as he talks. “See, I was thinking about the state of the theatre in the modern world, and comparing it to that of the ancients. The Greeks and Romans had grand tragedies and grand comedies, prolific playwrights whose works would fill entire libraries. We’ve lost a great deal of that. I’d like to see the ancient arts of Melpomene and Thalia restored… and I think I know where to start.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:58 pm by Jonathan.Link

“And your seeking a patron, something expected of a nobleman in exile?” Mathieus says getting to the point. It is more a statement than a question, but it is still a question.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:32 pm by cunningrat1

Jonathan.Link wrote:
“And your seeking a patron, something expected of a nobleman in exile?” Mathieus says getting to the point. It is more a statement than a question, but it is still a question.

Stultus smiles. “You are, as usual, three steps ahead of me, Archmagus. Whether it is your obvious patronage, or merely you exercising your influence to smooth the path for the project somewhat, your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Naturally, I wouldn’t expect you to do it without recom….” He breaks off as Allips and Fiona arrive downstairs.

Jonathan.Link wrote:
“Alips, allow me to introduce a giant among magi. Stultus of House Tytalus.” he says with some mirth. "Stultus, this is, he pauses looking for the correct word, “my daughter, after a fashion.”

Stultus hops off his chair. “Mathieus does me an injustice,” he claims, smiling brightly up at Allips, his considerable charm turned on full-blast. “Not only am I a giant among magi, I am a giant in my own mind.” He bends over Allips’ hand, brushing the back of it with his lips in the best, most courtly bow he can muster. “It is a true pleasure to meet you, mademoiselle.”

(Stultus knows full well that the proper form of address for Allips is ‘madame’, but ‘mademoiselle’ implies youth, and is thus a harmless bit of flattery.)

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Wed May 01, 2013 1:41 pm by Jonathan.Link

“And you.” After a moment Alips notices something isn’t right, or more correctly notices the lack of annoyance she normally feels around a Gifted individual, and stares at Stultus’s face. She soon breaks into tears and retreats to a divan. Fiona can see it a bit, there is a very slight resemblance to Praxiteles in the face. The nose is quite a bit larger, but there is something there reminiscent of Praxiteles.
“I was hoping she wouldn’t see it. Probably if you were not Gently Gifted she wouldn’t have given it another thought. I was thinking that because you were Gently Gifted, she wouldn’t give it another thought, but she’s been around magi for so long, she has learned to recognize the effects of the Gift for what it is, and acts around it. When she doesn’t have to is when she notices the most. I never told you, Stultus, because I never thought it mattered, but you have a quality in your face that is reminiscent of Praxiteles.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Wed May 01, 2013 8:37 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

Jonathan.Link wrote:
(Alips) and Fiona head down stairs where she goes up to Mathieus and kisses him on the cheek. “Thank you for surprising me with Fiona, Mathieus.” She says it and sounds depressed, not as happy as Fiona would expect. “Who is our, I mean your, other guest?”

Fiona looks askance at Alips as she walks with her, standing slightly behind Alips as she speaks. She grows more and more concerned…this is a far cry from the warm, moist, sticky reunion she had been expecting (and fantasizing about).
Jonathan.Link wrote:
“Alips, allow me to introduce a giant among magi. Stultus of House Tytalus.” he says with some mirth. "Stultus, this is, he pauses looking for the correct word, “my daughter, after a fashion.”

Fiona now looks at Mathieus, surprise on her face1.
Jonathan.Link wrote:
“And you.” After a moment Alips notices something isn’t right, or more correctly notices the lack of annoyance she normally feels around a Gifted individual, and stares at Stultus’s face. She soon breaks into tears and retreats to a divan. Fiona can see it a bit, there is a very slight resemblance to Praxiteles in the face. The nose is quite a bit larger, but there is something there reminiscent of Praxiteles.
“I was hoping she wouldn’t see it. Probably if you were not Gently Gifted she wouldn’t have given it another thought. I was thinking that because you were Gently Gifted, she wouldn’t give it another thought, but she’s been around magi for so long, she has learned to recognize the effects of the Gift for what it is, and acts around it. When she doesn’t have to is when she notices the most. I never told you, Stultus, because I never thought it mattered, but you have a quality in your face that is reminiscent of Praxiteles.”

Fiona rushes to Alips’s side, sitting beside her on the divan and wrapping her arms around her, holding her if she lets her. She doesn’t say anything, just lets Alips know that she’s not alone. She looks at Stultus, wondering if he’s related to Praxiteles and wondering if that’s why she wanted to jump his bones.

1 ((Com 2 + Guile (Hiding true feelings) 3 + (die roll of 0, but not a botch(4)) = 5.))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Wed May 01, 2013 9:00 pm by cunningrat1

“I am sorry my appearance caused you pain,” Stultus says to Allips, his voice quiet and solemn. “Please rest assured that this was not my intention. I am very sorry for your loss.” He takes a few steps back, letting Fiona comfort the woman as best she can.

((EDIT))
After a while, he leans over to Mathieus, inquiring quietly “Out of pure curiosity, where did you find Praxiteles before you took him on as an apprentice?”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri May 03, 2013 12:12 pm by Jonathan.Link

cunningrat1 wrote:
“I am sorry my appearance caused you pain,” Stultus says to Allips, his voice quiet and solemn. “Please rest assured that this was not my intention. I am very sorry for your loss.” He takes a few steps back, letting Fiona comfort the woman as best she can.

((EDIT))
After a while, he leans over to Mathieus, inquiring quietly “Out of pure curiosity, where did you find Praxiteles before you took him on as an apprentice?”

Alips just nods at Stultus, and takes some comfort from Fiona.

Mathieus turns to Sultus, “The Theban Tribunal. I doubt you are related, your face just has a similar quality to Praxiteles. It’s an unfortunate coincidence right now, but I don’t think this has anything to do with your ancestry.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri May 03, 2013 10:22 pm by cunningrat1

Stultus nods, smiling. “All right. Like I said, idle curiosity, no more.” He would have liked to locate his mundane family, but was never quite successful — and he doesn’t know what he’d ask his parents if he ever met them. “Did you lose a bet with God,” perhaps.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon May 06, 2013 1:27 pm by Jonathan.Link

((I don’t have anything else here, really, we can move onto Confluensis, if you’d like, cunningrat1. I’m presuming that you didn’t leave yourself a lot of time to stay at Eboris and mess around…))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon May 06, 2013 1:46 pm by cunningrat1

(( Nah, a day or so, no more. Only thing I’d like to say was done is Stultus telling Mathieus more details about his playhouse idea (laid out in detail here and the two posts immediately following). Gloss over much mention of it serving as intelligence central, emphasize the possible artistic and monetary benefits. Other than that, Confluensis Ho!1))

1(( No, that expression does NOT refer to Fiona.))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon May 06, 2013 6:53 pm by Jonathan.Link

Stultus, Fiona and Alips manage to make it to Confluensis without any difficulty. Upon arrival at Confluensis you’re greeted by one of the grogs guarding the entrance onto the lily pads comprising the covenant’s buildings.
“Ahh, master Stultus, I presume. Marcus informed of us of your pending arrival. Augustina has secured quarters for you and your retinue. She indicates you can join her for dinner, or take it in your quarters, as you’d like.” The grog, who never bothers to introduce himself details another grog to escort the three to one of the lily pads and a hut surrounded by a beautiful garden.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon May 06, 2013 8:02 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

cunningrat1 wrote:
(( Other than that, Confluensis Ho!1))

1(( No, that expression does NOT refer to Fiona.))

((I did say Fiona was going to try to behave herself…and if that’s not inner conflict, I don’t know what is! ))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon May 06, 2013 8:30 pm by cunningrat1

Jonathan.Link wrote:
Stultus, Fiona and Alips manage to make it to Confluensis without any difficulty. Upon arrival at Confluensis you’re greeted by one of the grogs guarding the entrance onto the lily pads comprising the covenant’s buildings.
“Ahh, master Stultus, I presume. Marcus informed of us of your pending arrival. Augustina has secured quarters for you and your retinue. She indicates you can join her for dinner, or take it in your quarters, as you’d like.” The grog, who never bothers to introduce himself details another grog to escort the three to one of the lily pads and a hut surrounded by a beautiful garden.

“I do believe we shall join Augustina for dinner. This should be absolutely fascinating. If that is all right with you, ladies?”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon May 06, 2013 8:39 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

Fiona is/has been watching Alips as closely as she can without being obvious or rude about, trying to gauge her feelings, her interest in her, and anything she can pick up1. She doesn’t try anything on the flight down, just holds onto Alips tightly to keep her from falling off.

Once they arrive, she stays at the size she had made her and Alips, and tries to keep up with the grog as best she can. At one point, she stage-whispers to Stultus, “Please don’t take this the wrong way, my love, but isn’t this incredibly frustrating for you, all the time?”

However, she does stop at the hut and look around at the beautiful garden, almost awestruck, and wanders over to examine it intently, oo-ing and ah-ing.

cunningrat1 wrote:
“I do believe we shall join Augustina for dinner. This should be absolutely fascinating. If that is all right with you, ladies?”

“I would be delighted,” Fiona says as she pulls herself away from the garden. “What about you?” she asks Alips.

1 ((Per 0 + Folk Ken 1 + (die roll of 0, but not a botch (6)) = 1. So, pretty clueless.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Mon May 06, 2013 9:30 pm by cunningrat1

Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:
Fiona is/has been watching Alips as closely as she can without being obvious or rude about, trying to gauge her feelings, her interest in her, and anything she can pick up. She doesn’t try anything on the flight down, just holds onto Alips tightly to keep her from falling off.

(( I suppose I should get in on this too… Per 1, Folk Ken 4, [1d10] = 6 = 11))

Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:
Once they arrive, she stays at the size she had made her and Alips, and tries to keep up with the grog as best she can. At one point, she stage-whispers to Stultus, “Please don’t take this the wrong way, my love, but isn’t this incredibly frustrating for you, all the time?”

Stultus blinks at Fiona for a moment in confusion, since he doesn’t understand for a minute what she’s getting at. “Oh. That. Yeah. I’m used to it, though.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue May 07, 2013 9:09 am by Jonathan.Link

At the appointed time a page comes to escort everyone to dinner. Alips begs off, though, and wants to sleep. She’s been generally listless and unanimated since leaving Paris, not that she was particularly animated in Paris. She does look rather tired, though. And while she hasn’t been unreceptive to Fiona, she hasn’t been particularly demonstrative in showing affection back to her. There is something wrong wit her, but whether it’s some kind of possession or just a form of melancholia is difficult for Fiona to ascertain.

Fiona and Stultus are escorted to the dining hall, where a lavish feast is laid out, delicious smells of roasted game birds, a full boar roasted, and the sweet smell of spiced wine and desserts. Augustina is seated at the head of the table, with the other end left vacant, there are 9 other magi in attendance, 4 on one side of the table and 5 on the other. “Stultus, so good of you to come. Please take your seat opposite me, and Fiona can set at your side. We can now begin hosting this feast.” The way she says ‘we’ is a bit inclusive sounding. A Folk Ken of 6 will indicate that she is actually saying she considers you her co-host.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue May 07, 2013 9:51 am by cunningrat1

Jonathan.Link wrote:
“Stultus, so good of you to come. Please take your seat opposite me, and Fiona can set at your side. We can now begin hosting this feast.” The way she says ‘we’ is a bit inclusive sounding. A Folk Ken of 6 will indicate that she is actually saying she considers you her co-host.

(( [1d10] = 1 then [1d10] = 6 + Per 1 + Folk Ken 4 => 17. I think I made it. ))

“And why not?”, laughs Stultus, stepping forward. “The boar1 has finally arrived — oh, and the roast pig is here too. Let’s get started.” He clambers into the chair opposite Augustina, perching on the arm of it so as to be able to see over the table.

“Augustina, would you be kind enough to perform introductions, please? I know Marcus, and a few of the rest by reputation, but that’s as far as it goes.”

1(( Boar… bore… I don’t need to explain that one, do I? ))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue May 07, 2013 10:12 am by Jonathan.Link

“All in good time, Stultus. Let us first enjoy this feast.” She snaps her fingers, and the food disappears, not even the scent lingers, and bowls of gruel are before all the guests. Stultus and Augustina have roasted game birds and assorted vegetables on their plates. Goblets of wine have changed to plain wooden cups of water in front of the guests. Stultus and Augustina still have wine. Augustina smiles, “Enjoy.”
Marcus chuckles a bit, and then everyone else in the table chuckles. Auguistina ignores the chuckling and tears off a drumstick and digs in.

Folk Ken rolls and Order of Hermes Lore rolls to determine who is who and who is really laughing and who is faking it.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue May 07, 2013 10:24 am by cunningrat1

Jonathan.Link wrote:
Folk Ken rolls and Order of Hermes Lore rolls to determine who is who and who is really laughing and who is faking it.

“A very smart man once said that at dinner, one should eat wisely but not too well, and speak well but not too wisely.” Stultus grins at Augustina. “Thank you for taking care of the first part, sodalis.”

(( Per 1 + Folk Ken 4 + Clear Thinker +3 (keep forgetting that one) + [1d10] = 7 => 15.
Int +3 + OoH Lore 2 + [1d10] = 3 => 8, unless the Politics specialization applies, in which case it’s a 9. Meh.))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue May 07, 2013 11:13 am by Jonathan.Link

Marcus appears to be the only one who enjoyed the ruse, all the other magi and magae are nonplussed and then show a bit of annoyance, but it is subtle. Everyone, strangely, begins eating their gruel, though, although Marcus started eating his first.
“This dinner is simply fabulous, Augustina. You’ve outdone yourself.” About half a dozen of the magi and magae murmur their approval, some a bit less convincingly than others.
Herrit is one of the less convincing magi, and also one he recognizes, comes from Tranquillina’s former covenant of Nigrasaxa in Stonehenge. The other magus that Stultus recognizes is not actually a member of House Tytalus, and may be a guest or witness similar to Fiona, and that is Rose Tremeris. Enough is know about Rose, that it is reasonable to believe she is faithfully executing the orders of her mater in observing this matter. ((I can’t remember if Fiona has met Rose. If she has, then the recognition is automatic.))

A few moments in, Augustina appears embarrassed. “Pardon me, but some of you have the wrong meal. I am so sorry.” But that comment is belied by the speed with which several covenfolk come in with prepared plates. They switch the meals around, and Rose, Fiona and another magus have fare equal to Augustina and Stultus. The remaining portion of gruel in the bowls before them is poured into the magi who have gruel before them, giving them roughly equal amounts.

Someone Stultus doesn’t recognize thanks Augustina for the larger portion.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue May 07, 2013 2:56 pm by cunningrat1

Jonathan.Link wrote:
The other magus that Stultus recognizes is not actually a member of House Tytalus, and may be a guest or witness similar to Fiona, and that is Rose Tremeris. Enough is know about Rose, that it is reasonable to believe she is faithfully executing the orders of her mater in observing this matter. ((I can’t remember if Fiona has met Rose. If she has, then the recognition is automatic.))

(( Fiona and Stultus have both met Rose: she showed up at the dinner after the Tribunal, and was very briefly a member of Mons Electi. ))

Stultus chews with some appetite, cracking jokes (that his player is too brain-dead to come up with at the moment) and people-watching.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue May 07, 2013 6:33 pm by Jonathan.Link

Let’s say that Stultus’s jokes lack that certain something, and it’s noticeable. Of course, that’s easily explained by who came with them and being absent from the dinner, “What’s wrong Stultus. I was told your wit was much sharper than this. Something seems off. And one of the people accompanying you isn’t here, is she a mundane who wished to avoid all of us magi? A servant of yours? I was told she didn’t carry herself as a servant.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue May 07, 2013 8:22 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

Jonathan.Link wrote:
At the appointed time a page comes to escort everyone to dinner. Alips begs off, though, and wants to sleep. She’s been generally listless and unanimated since leaving Paris, not that she was particularly animated in Paris. She does look rather tired, though. And while she hasn’t been unreceptive to Fiona, she hasn’t been particularly demonstrative in showing affection back to her. There is something wrong wit her, but whether it’s some kind of possession or just a form of melancholia is difficult for Fiona to ascertain.

Fiona will check on Alips before she heads down to dinner. She tucks her friend in, and kisses her gently. “Sleep well, and I’ll check on you later. Sweet dreams.”

((I want to spont an Intellego Herbam on the door, R:Touch +1, D: Sun +2, T: Individual, that will tell her when the door is opened. I’m not sure if the base would be 1, “Gain an intuitive knowledge of a plant (for example, know whether a given action would harm a plant)” or 3, “Learn…a single specific fact about a plant or an item made from plant products”. The Sun duration is so that she will know if the door is opened or closed until the next sunrise/sunset. Her target would be either 4 or 10. Her CT would be Sta 3 + In 5 + He 10 + Aura ? + die roll of 6 = 24 + Aura, halved, which should work.

Jonathan.Link wrote:
Fiona and Stultus are escorted to the dining hall, where a lavish feast is laid out, delicious smells of roasted game birds, a full boar roasted, and the sweet smell of spiced wine and desserts. Augustina is seated at the head of the table, with the other end left vacant, there are 9 other magi in attendance, 4 on one side of the table and 5 on the other. “Stultus, so good of you to come. Please take your seat opposite me, and Fiona can set at your side. We can now begin hosting this feast.” The way she says ‘we’ is a bit inclusive sounding. A Folk Ken of 6 will indicate that she is actually saying she considers you her co-host.

I’m assuming this is after sunset, so Fiona can be her normal size. She grins as she takes in the vista. “Times like this, I’m glad I’m a giant.” ((Per 0 + Folk Ken (Magi) 2 + die roll of 4 = 6. Barely.))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue May 07, 2013 8:31 pm by Jonathan.Link

Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:
Fiona will check on Alips before she heads down to dinner. She tucks her friend in, and kisses her gently. “Sleep well, and I’ll check on you later. Sweet dreams.”

((I want to spont an Intellego Herbam on the door, R:Touch +1, D: Sun +2, T: Individual, that will tell her when the door is opened. I’m not sure if the base would be 1, “Gain an intuitive knowledge of a plant (for example, know whether a given action would harm a plant)” or 3, “Learn…a single specific fact about a plant or an item made from plant products”. The Sun duration is so that she will know if the door is opened or closed until the next sunrise/sunset. Her target would be either 4 or 10. Her CT would be Sta 3 + In 5 + He 10 + Aura ? + die roll of 6 = 24 + Aura, halved, which should work.

Tokens have not been granted. The spell fizzles.
Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:
I’m assuming this is after sunset, so Fiona can be her normal size. She grins as she takes in the vista. “Times like this, I’m glad I’m a giant.” ((Per 0 + Folk Ken (Magi) 2 + die roll of 4 = 6. Barely.))

Fiona’s game bird is considerably larger, but on a larger plate as well, so as not to be conspicuous.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue May 07, 2013 8:47 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

Jonathan.Link wrote:
Tokens have not been granted. The spell fizzles.

Oh. Right. Forgot about the Aegis. She wouldn’t have tried, then. Intellego’s not her forte, and she knows she has a snowball’s chance of sponting anything in a hostile Aegis.
Jonathan.Link wrote:
“All in good time, Stultus. Let us first enjoy this feast.” She snaps her fingers, and the food disappears, not even the scent lingers, and bowls of gruel are before all the guests. Stultus and Augustina have roasted game birds and assorted vegetables on their plates. Goblets of wine have changed to plain wooden cups of water in front of the guests. Stultus and Augustina still have wine. Augustina smiles, “Enjoy.”
Marcus chuckles a bit, and then everyone else in the table chuckles. Auguistina ignores the chuckling and tears off a drumstick and digs in.

Folk Ken rolls and Order of Hermes Lore rolls to determine who is who and who is really laughing and who is faking it.

Folk Ken: Per 0 + Folk Ken 1 + die roll of 4 = 5 for the mundanes, 6 for the magi.

Order of Hermes Lore: Int 1 + Order of Hermes Lore 2 + die roll of 7 = 10.

Fiona is mildly annoyed at the ruse…got her mouth all to waterin’ fer nothin’! But to hide it: Com 2 + Guile (hide true feelings) 3 + die roll of 3 = 8.

She digs into her gruel, even with the second helping, with feigned gusto.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue May 07, 2013 8:51 pm by Jonathan.Link

((Fiona gets real food before too long…))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue May 07, 2013 10:24 pm by cunningrat1

Jonathan.Link wrote:
Let’s say that Stultus’s jokes lack that certain something, and it’s noticeable. Of course, that’s easily explained by who came with them and being absent from the dinner, “What’s wrong Stultus. I was told your wit was much sharper than this. Something seems off. And one of the people accompanying you isn’t here, is she a mundane who wished to avoid all of us magi? A servant of yours? I was told she didn’t carry herself as a servant.”

“Nonsense,” says Stultus haughtily, brandishing his eating knife. “My wit is as sharp as this blade!” The indignant response is undermined somewhat by the fact that he is holding the knife by the blade, with the blunt pommel uppermost.

He waves a hand airily. “The mundane’s not a servant as such, but she’s rather … entertaining in certain respects, and her, ehem, skills give her an air of self-confidence far out of keeping with her station.” Perfectly true, as far as the statement goes, and if the broad leer on Stultus ’ face causes his words to be misinterpreted, all the better. He will talk to Augustina about Allips. LATER.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Wed May 08, 2013 9:25 am by Jonathan.Link

After everyone finishes eating, Augustina says, “So, it’s going to go like this. Each of you, including the invited guests may compete. If you’re not a member of House Tytalus, we can resolve that pesky issue later. It’s not a huge deal. So, anyway, as I was saying, each of you will be competing in a series of challenges over the next few days. At the end of the the challenge, Stultus and I will give those of you who satisfied the demands of the challenge, in a pleasing manner, a rose. If you have no roses, you’re gone. If you receive only one rose, you’ll have to certamen each other to remain. Any questions?” She looks at everyone except Stultus, and they all demur and look away, except for Marcus who seems almost giddy. “Very good, Stultus, inform them of the first challenge.”

Can do an Intrigue check here, too, if you aren’t sure what’s going on.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Wed May 08, 2013 9:35 am by cunningrat1

(( Just to be sure — Int 3, Intrigue 6, [1d10] = 7 => 16.))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Wed May 08, 2013 9:49 am by Jonathan.Link

She and Stultus are judges of the competition, as to who the second traitor will be. Stultus will not be the traitor, but Augustina will, she seems to be having a vicarious thrill at setting up a whole bunch of new rivalries between Stultus and those present. She is playing a game that by Tytalus standards she’s already lost. Or, it’s equally possible that she considers the conflicts within the House to be stale and in need of refreshing. No Tratior in the history of the House, since the advent of this position, has actually taken this step of trying to restart rivalries or create conflicts.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Wed May 08, 2013 11:27 am by cunningrat1

(( Welcome to Survivor: Confluensis. ))

Stultus’ reward to Augustina for throwing him under the bus is a wry look. He clambers up onto the table, sitting cross-legged. “We’re going to play a fun game called ‘qui custodiet ipsos custodes’. All of you will close your eyes, and pretend for a moment you belong to House Guernicus. Pretend also that you know for a fact two of you have been corrupted by, oh, say, the Order of Odin. Augustina, here, will ping the betrayer’s Parmae with a Forceless spell to let them know who they are.”

“Every round, you can all open your eyes, and decide among you one person to March. Augustina and I may, between rounds, ping another contestant’s Parma to let them know they’ve been corrupted, just to keep the game interesting. The game ends when all the corrupted ones have been Marched, or only corrupted ones remain.”

“All right, children. Close your eyes. No peeking, now.”

Once everyone present has their eyes closed, he leans over to Augustina, his lips millimeters away from the other woman’s ear, and breathes out in a barely-audible whisper “Ping all of them.” Then sits back with a broad grin to watch the ensuing chaos.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Wed May 08, 2013 12:19 pm by Jonathan.Link

((I’m interested to see if Fiona intends to play to be Traitor… ))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Wed May 08, 2013 8:44 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

Jonathan.Link wrote:
After everyone finishes eating, Augustina says, “So, it’s going to go like this. Each of you, including the invited guests may compete. If you’re not a member of House Tytalus, we can resolve that pesky issue later. It’s not a huge deal. So, anyway, as I was saying, each of you will be competing in a series of challenges over the next few days. At the end of the the challenge, Stultus and I will give those of you who satisfied the demands of the challenge, in a pleasing manner, a rose. If you have no roses, you’re gone. If you receive only one rose, you’ll have to certamen each other to remain. Any questions?” She looks at everyone except Stultus, and they all demur and look away, except for Marcus who seems almost giddy. “Very good, Stultus, inform them of the first challenge.”

Can do an Intrigue check here, too, if you aren’t sure what’s going on.

Fiona looks at Augustina. “If you don’t mind, I am actually here to simply watch the competition. From what I’ve heard of the post, it’s not something that I feel capable of performing as well as I feel I should, and I would hate to embarrass myself or my sodales by my competing.”

She does not, however, get up to leave, but merely sits there.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Wed May 08, 2013 9:14 pm by Jonathan.Link

((This one is more daunting to write than I anticipated… What have I done?!?!))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Thu May 09, 2013 8:45 am by Jonathan.Link

Augustina pings each of them and then announces that she is done, and they all open their eyes. They all stare at each other for a bit, and then one of them says, "I’m not going to play this silly game of yours, Augustina.
“Excellent, we have our first concession, you are excused.”
“I’m not conceding anything. Any game played with you is already considered to be lost BY YOU.”
Augustina smiles, having expected such a ploy, “In that, we are agreed. But who has set forth the rules of this particular game? Certainly not I. No, it is Stultus. It is his game, and if you concede it, you are granting him a victory over you. So, in light of that, do you wish to reconsider your concession to Stultus?”
He nods his head in defeat, indicating he wishes to go on.
“I say we march him.” Marcus supplies. Everyone at the table quickly agrees to that, and the vote is unanimous. The unidentified Tytalus is furious, but it’s easy to see that he’s furious with himself.
“Porphyrion, you are excused from the arena, please return to your designated quarters and await your recall for the rose ceremony. Stultus, let us move away a bit, and discuss the next round. The remaining contestants are invited to stay and partake of more food. There’s plenty.” Covenfolk come in with a large tray of greens.

Augustin and Stultus leave the room, and go next door, she turns to Stultus, "Now you understand your role here, do you not? It wasn’t that I wanted you here, it was that I needed you here. Porphyrion demonstrated exactly why you are here. No Tytalus can so easily walk away from a challenge from within the House. But lo these many years, that’s exactly what has happened. There are only three Beloved Rivalries extant in the House, Stultus. Something far worse than the events leading up to the Betrayal is happening to the House; our internal conflicts are dying, and our House mates are seeking conflict from less demanding opponents. And while I’ve nominally said that a second Traitor is needed, what is really needed is the selection of a single Primus.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Thu May 09, 2013 4:52 pm by cunningrat1

Jonathan.Link wrote:
Augustina and Stultus leave the room, and go next door, she turns to Stultus, "Now you understand your role here, do you not? It wasn’t that I wanted you here, it was that I needed you here. Porphyrion demonstrated exactly why you are here. No Tytalus can so easily walk away from a challenge from within the House. But lo these many years, that’s exactly what has happened. There are only three Beloved Rivalries extant in the House, Stultus. Something far worse than the events leading up to the Betrayal is happening to the House; our internal conflicts are dying, and our House mates are seeking conflict from less demanding opponents. And while I’ve nominally said that a second Traitor is needed, what is really needed is the selection of a single Primus.

Stultus nods. “I understand why I am here, yes. And I agree that a single Primus is needed — we’ve let the joke go on too long — but I disagree that it’s going to produce the effect you want. I don’t think a single Primus would galvanize the House… unless, of course, the single Primus is neither of the current two contestants. New blood, rather than the final resolution to a decades-old joke.” He quirks an eyebrow at Augustina. “If that is your plan, your tenure as Traitor has not dulled your wit. You don’t think small.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Thu May 09, 2013 9:09 pm by Jonathan.Link

“It’s simple, the Tratior is responsible for restarting the conflicts should they grow stale. Do you understand how monumental a task that is? Because they’ve all grown stale. Almost all Tytalus magi look to their challengers from outside the House. And that culture has created the condition where Harpax and Bulliste are supreme at the top of the House, neither able to move against the other decisively, and no one able to stand against them. My intention is that the second traitor would then immediately move against Bulliste or Harpax, then I move against the other. They cannot unite if they are divided in their attention. And as Tratiors, no one else will move against us. But we have to demonstrate to them both that the House has stagnated because of them. Tell me Stultus, have you ever heard of Tytalus magi forming teams against each other? Cabals who keep identities secret, certainly, but teams of supporters for one Prima or a Primus? Such an idea is completely unnecessary as it has been acknowledged that each has beaten all challengers, except the other. And so two must challenge the Prima and Primus, and must restore the culture of the House.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Thu May 09, 2013 11:32 pm by cunningrat1

Stultus hmmms. “But the Traitors have already, by definition, lost all conflicts. How can they challenge the Prima and Primus?” (It’s not a true objection, it’s a rhetorical device, an invitation to Augustina to tell him more.)

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Thu May 09, 2013 11:51 pm by Jonathan.Link

Who judges when the conflicts grow stale? Augustina returns.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri May 10, 2013 9:24 am by cunningrat1

Jonathan.Link wrote:
Who judges when the conflicts grow stale? Augustina returns.

“Yeah, yeah, that’s the Traitor’s bailiwick, I know. But what is preventing either of the Primi from pulling what Porphyrion just pulled?”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri May 10, 2013 9:44 am by Jonathan.Link

“Tell me, why do you strive to overcome Cumhachd? Can you see yourself ever stopping? Would you respect a Primus who won the role by default, because the other one decided to stop competing? What happens to Tranquillina when she comes between the two of you? Porphyrion is wise enough to know that anyone who challenges either of them will be confronted by both of them. Dividing their attention is the only way. And you, in no small measure will be picking the next Primus of our House.”
She walks to the door without giving Stultus a chance to respond, “And so, on this day, the Jester learns that he must choose the new king. Our contestants are waiting on us. We’ve been too long discussing things that do not have an impact on the now, only the future. Come, let us get to work.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri May 10, 2013 10:01 am by cunningrat1

Stultus smirks and saunters after Augustina. “All right, but we DO need to talk after this challenge is over.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri May 10, 2013 10:14 am by Jonathan.Link

Augustina returns to her place on the table, and Stultus stays close by. He repeats the admonition to clothes their eyes, which everyone does, and Augustina sits quietly for a moment, and then signals for everyone to open their eyes.

Everyone looks around at each other, but no one says a word. Considering the first round saw someone leave by opening their mouth and he got ‘marched’ immediately, no one seems willing to step out and experience the same.
There are currently 8 participants, and Rose is one of them.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri May 10, 2013 1:50 pm by cunningrat1

After a minute of silence, Stultus leans towards Augustina, addressing her out of the side of his mouth while staring at the competitors. Or the non-competitors, as the case may be. “Augustina, dearest… you sure you didn’t make a mistake in sending out invitations, and tapped a bunch of Bonisagi instead? Or did you perhaps slip some soporifics into their gruel? I don’t believe this! Where’s the fire I’d expect from, say, an Eristic moot? Where is the passion, where’s the drive? I’d ask if you were Tytali or mice, but I swear, the mice in my lab are louder than you lot!”

He sighs. “No roses will be awarded unless the game is played to completion. Also, the beatings will continue until morale improves.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri May 10, 2013 2:14 pm by Jonathan.Link

“Then let us outs the Tremere welp.” Says one of the unidentified Tytali. Everyone start murmuring their agreement.
Rose speaks up, “That would be unwise.”
“Why is that?”
“Isn’t it just too obvious?”
“Not at all, you don’t understand Tytalus games.”
“No, you don’t understand your own games. You think in terms of the individual striving towards some elusive goal, where we Tremere understand a collective vision of conflict, the burden shared across many to achieve so much more. Side with me, and we can end this game now. But of course, the Analects demand a triumph of the individual over the collective. And yet, your house has fallen into a collective stalemate.”
This sets off the room into a cacophony of yelling and discussion, finally it comes down to Rose and the unnamed Tytalus facing off against each other, as to which one being up for a vote.
“The choice is simple, debate or certamen. I’m well schooled in both, and I have no fear of you in either arena.”
He hesitates, contemplating it.
“Oh be done with this fool, and vote him off. He cannot make a decision to save his own neck. I vote we march him, now. All in favor signify by saying aye.” The majority sides with Rose.
“The ayes have it.” She looks at Stultus and Augustina. Do we need to play another round, or have you discovered the two weakest of the contestants?

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri May 10, 2013 2:19 pm by cunningrat1

Stultus just grins. “The challenge is not yet complete.” He waves his fingers airily. “Continue.”
(( We can fast-forward through the next several rounds, but Stultus does want to do something once there’s 5 left))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri May 10, 2013 2:31 pm by Jonathan.Link

The group continues, now with Rose in the nominal control of the group of Tytalus magi and magae, the irony.
The ensigns of command begin to way on her by the end of the two following rounds, when there are only 5 remaining contestants.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri May 10, 2013 2:45 pm by cunningrat1

Once the contestans’ eyes are closed, Stultus repeats the trick with the whisper, subtly indicating two of the remaining Tytalus magi — the ones who have struck him as being the most willing to go along with the herd. “Ping those two again, please.” (He wants to know how they would react to the assumption that someone is ‘cheating’. Hah. As if there were such a thing. Rules in a Tytalus contest are more like guidelines, anyway…)

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri May 10, 2013 8:22 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

Jonathan.Link wrote:
Augustina returns to her place on the table, and Stultus stays close by. He repeats the admonition to clothes their eyes, which everyone does, and Augustina sits quietly for a moment, and then signals for everyone to open their eyes.

Everyone looks around at each other, but no one says a word. Considering the first round saw someone leave by opening their mouth and he got ‘marched’ immediately, no one seems willing to step out and experience the same.
There are currently 8 participants, and Rose is one of them.

Fiona smiles as she looks at each one in turn, including Stultus and Augustina1. “You didn’t expect the traitor…sorry, the Corrupted One to jump to his feet and yell ‘March me, I am forsaken!’, did you?” she says to the others.

“Sometimes it’s not just what they say, or do not say, but the way they speak or keep their silence.”

((follow-up pending whether her Folk Ken was good enough to get a good read on who the victim is.))

1 Per 0 + Folk Ken (Magi) 2 + 9 = 10.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri May 10, 2013 8:36 pm by cunningrat1

(( I don’t know whether her Folk Ken roll is good enough, but there’s something I think the player’s missing OOC. Stultus asked Augustina to ping all of them. All of them think they’re Corrupted and everyone (or almost everyone) else is innocent. The whole point of the exercise is not who wins and who loses, but who can convince others to follow their lead. ))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri May 10, 2013 8:40 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

cunningrat1 wrote:
(( I don’t know whether her Folk Ken roll is good enough, but there’s something I think the player’s missing OOC. Stultus asked Augustina to ping all of them. All of them think they’re Corrupted and everyone (or almost everyone) else is innocent. The whole point of the exercise is not who wins and who loses, but who can convince others to follow their lead. ))

((Ah. Yeah, I caught the ping everyone, but I didn’t realize that carried over…I thought it was a new ping every turn, and not that Augustina was pinging everyone every round.

Some day I should play a Tytalus, just to try to get my cunning up to snuff.))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri May 10, 2013 8:43 pm by cunningrat1

Peregrine_Bjornaer wrote:
((Ah. Yeah, I caught the ping everyone, but I didn’t realize that carried over…I thought it was a new ping every turn, and not that Augustina was pinging everyone every round.
Some day I should play a Tytalus, just to try to get my cunning up to snuff.))

(( She’s not supposed to. She pinged the corrupted ones once and that carries over from round to round. ))
(( Joke about Stultus supplying his player with an array of cunning stunts deleted as too obvious.))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri May 10, 2013 10:30 pm by Jonathan.Link

((I understand it as CR described. ))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri May 10, 2013 10:54 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

cunningrat1 wrote:
“We’re going to play a fun game called ‘qui custodiet ipsos custodes’. All of you will close your eyes, and pretend for a moment you belong to House Guernicus. Pretend also that you know for a fact two of you have been corrupted by, oh, say, the Order of Odin. Augustina, here, will ping the betrayer’s Parmae with a Forceless spell to let them know who they are.”

“Every round, you can all open your eyes, and decide among you one person to March. Augustina and I may, between rounds, ping another contestant’s Parma to let them know they’ve been corrupted, just to keep the game interesting. The game ends when all the corrupted ones have been Marched, or only corrupted ones remain.”

((Okay, so, as far as Fiona knows, she and one other magus have been “corrupted.” So her task, then, is to avoid being “Marched” herself, while trying to figure out who the other corrupted individual is and to march him or her, or to ensure that she and the one other corrupted individual are the last two remaining. I think what threw me off was this:
Jonathan.Link wrote:
Augustina returns to her place on the table, and Stultus stays close by. He repeats the admonition to clothes their eyes, which everyone does, and Augustina sits quietly for a moment, and then signals for everyone to open their eyes.

Everyone looks around at each other, but no one says a word. Considering the first round saw someone leave by opening their mouth and he got ‘marched’ immediately, no one seems willing to step out and experience the same.
There are currently 8 participants, and Rose is one of them.

I think I interpreted that to mean that the corruption was reset each turn, since it looked to me like we had to close our eyes and the traitor would be pinged in the new round, rather than…whatever it is we were doing here, which doesn’t make sense to me if the traitor carries over. I’m still a little confused.))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri May 10, 2013 11:03 pm by Jonathan.Link

((I didn’t think Fiona was playing.. Of course maybe she should to develop greater insight into Cumhachd.))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Fri May 10, 2013 11:35 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

((I wasn’t planning to, but it looked like she was playing whether she wanted to or not, so she’s playing along. She has no intention of winning, which is why she probably has the best chance ))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sat May 11, 2013 2:06 pm by Jonathan.Link

((I had been excluding her, if I was counting right. So if you don’t want Fiona to compete she didn’t/won’t. If you do she did/will. But if she gets very far there is the very real chance she could be named Traitor, or worse, but Fiona doesn’t know the worse part, yet.
I’m having trouble writing this. Too many Tytali in my head and it’s tough without a keyboard and adequate word processor. This thread is paused for me until later tomorrow.))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sat May 11, 2013 4:31 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

((Yeah, let’s just have her along for the ride, occasionally making comments from the peanut gallery, and trying to enjoy the show.))

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue May 14, 2013 9:35 am by Jonathan.Link

cunningrat1 wrote:
Once the contestans’ eyes are closed, Stultus repeats the trick with the whisper, subtly indicating two of the remaining Tytalus magi — the ones who have struck him as being the most willing to go along with the herd. “Ping those two again, please.” (He wants to know how they would react to the assumption that someone is ‘cheating’. Hah. As if there were such a thing. Rules in a Tytalus contest are more like guidelines, anyway…)

So, if Marcus was going along with it, you’d ping him over one of the others? Since there are five magi left at the table, it’s Marcus, Rose, Fiona (now that she’s playing) and two Tytalus magi. We can reset it to six total, 3 Tytalus, if you’d prefer, now that we know Fiona is playing.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue May 14, 2013 9:40 am by cunningrat1

Jonathan.Link wrote:
So, if Marcus was going along with it, you’d ping him over one of the others? Since there are five magi left at the table, it’s Marcus, Rose, Fiona (now that she’s playing) and two Tytalus magi. We can reset it to six total, 3 Tytalus, if you’d prefer, now that we know Fiona is playing.

Please reset it to six total and have Augustina ping both Tytali — not Marcus, Stultus knows how Marcus will react.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue May 14, 2013 9:51 am by Jonathan.Link

Both Tytalus smile when pinged for a second time.
Rose begins, “So, who shall we march this round.”
One of the Tytalus says, “No one need be marched. The game is over.”
The other one who smiled, “Oh, why as that?”
Smiling Tytalus 1:“I was pinged again. Very little reason to do that a second time.”
Smiling Tytalus 2:“Wait, you were pinged again?”
Rose:“March him.”
Marcus:“Agreed.”
Smiling Tytalus 1"Wait! We are all corrupted."
Rose:“I’m not corrupted.” she turns to Marcus and asks, “Are you corrupted?”
Marcus:“Certainly not.”
Smiling Tytalus 2:“I agree, march him.”
Other Tytalus:“Agreed.”
RosE: “Fiona?”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue May 14, 2013 10:50 am by Peregrine_Bjornaer

Fiona smiles. “I think I’ve been doing more corrupting than being corrupted for years. But, yes, I say march the traitor. And his accomplice. Obviously their claims of both being pinged are a poorly-designed ruse to get us to let our guards down while the true traitor bids his…or her…time.” She looks meaningfully at Rose at the last bit.

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue May 14, 2013 10:55 am by Jonathan.Link

((Two Tytalus smiled, but only one claimed to be pinged twice, and the other made a clever lie of omission, when he suggested that the first smiling Tytalus was the only one who had been pinged twice by saying “again”. I’ll play it that you just agreed to march the one who spoke first and was cleverly isolated.))

Rose says, “We are agreed, he’s marched.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue May 14, 2013 7:51 pm by cunningrat1

Stultus nods, rubbing the bridge of his nose. “All right. The game is over. Flowers will be disbursed tomorrow at breakfast, once Augustina and I have had a chance to discuss things.” He waggles his fingers at the remaining contestants. “Go on. Shoo. You’re dismissed. Fiona, sweetheart, stick around….” He gives the giantess a salacious grin, playing to the audience. “A judge requires a staff, and I’ll have a position for you on my staff in a moment.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue May 14, 2013 9:03 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

cunningrat1 wrote:
Stultus nods, rubbing the bridge of his nose. “All right. The game is over. Flowers will be disbursed tomorrow at breakfast, once Augustina and I have had a chance to discuss things.” He waggles his fingers at the remaining contestants. “Go on. Shoo. You’re dismissed. Fiona, sweetheart, stick around….” He gives the giantess a salacious grin, playing to the audience. “A judge requires a staff, and I’ll have a position for you on my staff in a moment.”

Fiona licks her lips hungrily. “I can’t wait to feel what you have in mind. Here. I mean hear.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Wed May 15, 2013 6:52 pm by cunningrat1

Once the rest of the Tytali wander out, Stultus loses his smile. “Good Lord above, Augustina, where’d you get this bunch of losers from? The best way to act in a game like that is to pretend total and complete innocence, which means walking a fine line between playing ‘follow the leader’ and jousting for the leader spot yourself. The leader spot is dangerous, yes, because you attract attention — but just about every one of them chose to err on the side of safety instead! When did our House become all about playing it safe? And I’m not even talking about the moron who claimed the rules got broken. He should have known better. He really, really should have known better. The two who performed best weren’t even of our House — because they were playing for the love of the game, which the rest of them damn well SHOULD have been doing.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Wed May 15, 2013 7:06 pm by Jonathan.Link

“Such is the state of our House. Conflicts have stalled. None of these feel confident enough to challenge Harpax or Bulliste, but all are certainly capable. This is as much about building rivalries for further challenges down the line as much as it is about selecting a worthy second Traitor. If they need to see that those outside the House can play their games better than they do, well, it’s a powerful lesson, is it not? You know I had invited Cumhachd, I thought she would be exceptional, but she demurred, suggested you or Tranquillina and said she had a bigger challenge. I decided against Tranquillina, and I had plans for you, as you can see. But you see, this lack of willing to be challenged by members of the House that’s much of the problem with the House, Tyatli of this generation believe that the best challenges are the ones from outside the House. They aren’t unworthy challenges, but they ignore the culture of the House, and lose what it means to be a Tytalus.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Wed May 15, 2013 7:50 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

“I hope you’ll forgive my impudence,” Fiona says as she leans forward, elbows on her knees. “I’m not as familiar with your House’s culture as some other outsiders might be, which may well be why I’m here, but is it possible that the majority of Tytali believe that none of their housemates can make them stronger, so they feel compelled to seek conflict from without?”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Thu May 16, 2013 9:15 am by Jonathan.Link

“I had considered that, but this business with the contenders for Primacy, choosing sides.” Augustina pauses and looks at Fiona closely, “Tell me, Fiona, do you have an interest in joining our House, or are you more interested in being an agent provocateur? You need to decide, because until I know your intentions, I won’t share any more with you. Stultus can, of course, but that would be his decision, but I think he can see how doing so would be ultimately self-defeating for our purposes here.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Thu May 16, 2013 9:05 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

Jonathan.Link wrote:
“I had considered that, but this business with the contenders for Primacy, choosing sides.” Augustina pauses and looks at Fiona closely, “Tell me, Fiona, do you have an interest in joining our House, or are you more interested in being an agent provocateur? You need to decide, because until I know your intentions, I won’t share any more with you. Stultus can, of course, but that would be his decision, but I think he can see how doing so would be ultimately self-defeating for our purposes here.”

Fiona is surprised by the…don’t know if that’s an offer, or just a question, but still. Leaving her House, such as it is? And not just her, but Sheelagh. How would she feel about subjecting her apprentice to what she’s heard of the horrors of Tytalan apprenticeship?

“I…I’ve never even considered being Tytalus before,” Fiona says.

She looks at Stultus, “What do you think?” she says in Gaelic. “Can you see me as a Tytalus? And would you help me with the ins and outs of your House?”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Sat May 25, 2013 8:17 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

((continuing the thread until cunningrat1 gets back from his work-slammage.))

“Would I be a full-fledged member, Fiona filia Marós scholae Tytali, no more a member of House ex Miscellanea? What would be required of me? And what of my apprentice?

And if I should chose to be an agent provocateur, instead?"

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue May 28, 2013 10:42 am by Jonathan.Link

“You can pursue membership in House Tytalus, if you find a worthy Tytalus to sponsor you. That is separate from the events transpiring here. If you were to win this competition and be named Traitor, I would be your sponsor. If you were to lose the competition here, I’m sure you could find an able and willing sponsor. As to membership in the House, it is for your sponsor to determine, and you would have the rights and privileges of both Houses, in my opinion. Though it isn’t commonly discussed, Pralix never really left House Tytalus, or at least we of House Tytalus never considered that she had left, if that makes any sense. As to your apprentice, do what you will. Train her as a Tytalus would, from the Book of Instruction, so that she might be considered Tytalus, or train her as your tradition dictates, where she continues your line in House ex Miscellanea. To us of House Ttyalus, it doesn’t matter.”
When Fiona asks about the agent provocateur, “We may include you in these discussions, and you may act as if you’re competing, when in reality you are not. Some will see through the ruse you are attempting to perpetrate, and call you out. Of course, that can work to our advantage, as well. Regardless, if you choose to be an agent provocateur, that doesn’t preclude you from pursuing membership in House Tytalus.”

Re: 1229.3 To Live and Lie in Normandy
Posted Tue May 28, 2013 10:20 pm by Peregrine_Bjornaer

Fiona thinks for a couple of minutes, a grin slowly spreading across her face as she considers the implications…not only for herself, but for Tytalus.

“I’m sure it would stir quite the hornets’ nest if a lowly ex Miscellanea were to be allowed to join as prestigious house as Tytalus…especially who’s ‘not even human’”

Fiona grins. “But first things first. I have a competition to win.”

To Live And Lie In Normandy

In the Ruins of Bibracte jonathanlink jonathanlink